Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I always like this thread and it makes me sad that it gets fewer posts every year! Here are your Detroit Pistons (I don't have time to find pictures):

Head coach: Dwane Casey
In the twilight of a long coaching career, the former Raptors head man is committed to building something in Detroit after its decade-plus in the wilderness. His Toronto teams were excellent in the field of player development, and hopefully that continues with a team whose core players are all under 24. Don't know if he'll be here long enough to reap the rewards though.

Who's gone?
Jerami Grant: The leading scorer was traded to Portland after a couple of years trying to be The Guy on a terrible team following years of utility roles on good ones.
Kelly Olynyk and Saben Lee: Traded to Utah.
Frank Jackson: Well-liked player but there was no room in the rotation for him anymore. He's a free agent.
Luka Garza: The Iowa legend became a summer league fan favorite but is not built for actual NBA basketball. He's on the Wolves now.

New arrivals
PF/SF Bojan Bogdanovic: The return for Olynyk and Lee should address an extreme lack of shooting skill as well as veteran presence.

PG/SG Jaden Ivey: The fourth best option in a three-prospect draft, the Pistons are nonetheless excited that the explosive Purdue product with Detroit roots fell to them at #5. They are hoping he and Cade can be the Thomas/Dumars or Billups/Hamilton of the future.

PF/C Jalen Duren: Rim-running big out of Memphis that we picked up at the back of the lottery. He is basically a child but should hopefully grow into a dangerous lob threat.
C Nerlens Noel: A veteran rim protector should be useful coming off the bench.

SG Alec Burks: Here for more shooting and vet presence, but he's coming off injury.

SF Kevin Knox: I don't know why we signed Kevin Knox

Some undrafted guys called Jules Bernard and Stanley Umude are probably being cut or sent to the G-League. Braxton Key and Buddy Boeheim(!) are on two-ways. Kemba Walker is technically on the payroll.

Returning likely starters:
PG/SG Cade Cunningham: The hopes and dreams of the franchise and city rest on the shoulders of last year's number one pick. Haters will point to his terrible efficiency numbers. Believers will point to his demonstrably high basketball IQ and increasing feel from the game. A massive playmaking guard with a lot of confidence in the clutch but not a ton of athleticism, he is sort of a poor man's Luka Doncic.

SF Saddiq Bey: He had a 50-point game last year! On jumpers! The Villanova product is a fan favorite with a smooth stroke and occasional bruising drives to the rim, but he needs to show consistency to reach his full potential.

C Isaiah Stewart: "Beef Stew" is an undersized, ground-bound center who's built like a tank, hustles his rear end off, and tried to kill LeBron James. Allegedly capable of hitting threes, though I've never seen it. I think his real future is energy guy off the bench.

Returning supporting cast:
PF/C Marvin Bagley III: Kings reclamation project got a nice contract due to his solid rim-running role after we picked him up at the deadline. He's injured for the first month of the season or he might be the starting 4 over Bogdanovic.

SG/SF Hamidou Diallo: Cool dunk man with flashes of brilliance. Also hurt.

PG Killian Hayes: Kevin O'Connor's favorite prospect of the 2020 draft is basically just escargot Elfrid Payton. Fighting to stay in the league as far as I can tell.

PG Cory Joseph: The veteran of the backcourt. Coaches love him and he can provide solid if unspectacular play as he has for his whole career.

PF/SF Isaiah Livers: I haven't gotten to watch him much but they are very high on the former Michigan second-rounder. Expect to see a lot of him off the bench.

SG Rodney McGruder: He's still here?

Projection: Some think the Pistons are likely to make the play-in if not the playoffs, but that would require a pretty big leap from last year's 23-win squad. Vegas has them projected around 30 and I think that sounds about right. We have hope in Detroit basketball for the first time since the 2000s, but a team this young is still at least a year away from doing any damage around the league, especially in an improved East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU