Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Ok, at this point, I have to ask: What is twisting? Is it medically safe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shadow0 posted:

Bard songs as originally intended: start singing one, you keep going giving party buff. When you stop it lasts a further 12 seconds giving you tome to, I don't know, drink a potion and start it back up? I didn't play the game so I don't know if it was "can't even move" channeled or something less limiting.
Bard songs as players used them: start and cancel a song right away, then on next server tick (3 seconds) do that again with a different song, and again, and again... you could keep 4 or 5 songs rolling. This was called twisting because you twisted them all together.
/melody let you set a series of keybinds and the game would automatically sing the songs in those keybind slots in a loop.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I know Bruceski answered already, but I wanted to elaborate a bit on what made twisting so useful.

Bards were the Jack of all Trades class in EQ, we can do a bit of everything but we don't excel at any one thing. I also have not played EQ since 2004 so my memories are a bit fuzzy. Bards had a ton of different songs, we had songs that:

Damaged a single enemy over time
Slowed an enemy (made mobs melee slower)
Snared an enemy (made mobs move slower)
Damaged multiple enemies over time but had a very small radius (Point Blank AOE songs that radiated out from the Bard)
Increased mana regen
Increased health regen
Increased melee haste
Increased spell casting speeds
Lowered your targets elemental resists (and also decreased the chance your spell would fizzle)
Gave you a damage shield (when a person was hit, the mob would take a small bit of damage)
Gave you a regular shield
Gave you over haste (there was a cap on how much melee haste you got from items and spells, and with a Bard you could exceed that)
Increased your elemental resists
Made you run faster (incredibly useful in a time before mounts)
Allowed you to crowd control through Charm (take control of a mob) and Mez (make a mob essentially fall asleep)

When you put all these various types of spells together it gave the Bard the ability to be able to pick and choose what songs they twisted together. Raids in EQ consisted of 72 players, 6 players per group, for a total of 9 groups. If you were in the main tank group you might twist a Slow, Damage Shield and Regular shield (I primarily played on a 56k modem since my military dorm was not wired for high speed internet), if you were in the melee group you would twist haste song, over haste song, and a song that made your weapons proc (do their special abilities) more. If you were in the spell caster group you would do caster haste, mana regen, and the song that lowered your targets resists. Typically you didn't put Bards in a healer group. I played primarily on 56k for most of my EQ career so a 4 song twist was generally out of the question as my latency was so high. I had high speed for maybe like the last year I played and I just never really got around to incorporating 4 songs in.

A typical bard twist (when you were typing it out would like like this: Press 1, wait 3 seconds, press 1 again, then 2, wait 3 seconds, press 2, then 3, wait 3 seconds press 3 again, then 1. So you were literally pressing 3 keys on your keyboard, 6 times every 9 seconds. It was INCREDIBLY taxing and is the reason that so many Bards developed carpal tunnel or used macro pads to automate it. I didn't do that because I was a real man and not a little wussy. One of the other huge benefits that I think is a little under the radar is that it finally allowed people to effectively multibox a Bard. Multiboxing was playing multiple characters at the same time. Typically it was easy to multibox a healer, tank and a spell caster or something like that, but because of how focus intensive twisting was you couldn't really do a Bard. With the melody command you could macro different melodies and could change up the twist on the fly depending on the situation.

Twisting also allowed for one of my favorite things ever which was called Swarm Kiting. While I loved Swarm Kiting I was not particularly good at it but it was one of the most effective ways to solo. You would round up a bunch of mobs of the same type, You would run in a huge circle while a pack of angry mobs chased after you and you would DOT one of the mobs of down, when it got to about 30% health remaining you would charm it and then target a different mob in that group. All the other mobs would immediately stop chasing you and the entire group would just melee to death your poor pet. Then you would pick another mob, dot it down, etc, etc.

What was the downside to Bards? While most of our songs didn't use mana, we had a few songs (and later an ability called Fading Memories) that did use mana and Bards were largely unaffected by mana regen buffs so blowing your mana bar out meant you were in for a long wait for it to fill up. Thankfully when Sony added Flowing Thought (a mana regen increase stat on items) it affected Bards and thus flowing thought became extremely desired. Bards songs were also classified with one of 4 instrument types (Woodwind, Strings, Percussion and Voice) and if you were using an instrument of that type your song strength was increased. A Bards epic 1.0 (Singing Short Sword) was still useful when I quite playing, despite it being totally outclassed in damage by newer weapons. Later they added instrument modifiers to items which finally allowed you to sub out the SSS.

I'm sorry if this post is a little disjointed I've been up for 2 hours with a very unhappy son and I'm wiped out.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 20, 2022

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm surprised I have not heard of anyone trying to run private wildstar servers but with the jank removed or retuned, probably a sad moment for a world designer in a game to know the place they spent years designing would be shut down forever within a year of it going out to everyone.

There's efforts to make private servers for it, at least, although none that I know of try to dejank the game. Arctium seems to have disappeared, but NexusForever seems to have gotten pretty far along in recreating the game as it was on the day it shut down.

edit: To be on topic, the bean bag chairs in WoW, as weird as that sounds. Had some memorable times hanging out with bank alts in the Bay while waiting on queues.

Other than that, the bug that let you take that one quest in the Badlands and leave with the buff that made you absolutely massive, was good times

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 20, 2022

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

SalTheBard posted:

Later they added instrument modifiers to items which finally allowed you to sub out the SSS.
and then the epic 2.0 came out and had a higher mod than almost all of the instruments

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

Bards had a ton of different songs, we had songs that:

Damaged a single enemy over time

I feel like I finally understand Coldplay.

That's pretty neat though! Thanks for the explanation!
And thanks for explaining things without introducing a bunch of other unexplained terms and having me ask - "Wait, well now, what does that term mean?"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Shadow0 posted:

And thanks for explaining things without introducing a bunch of other unexplained terms and having me ask - "Wait, well now, what does that term mean?"

I typed and retyped that post out about 7 times making sure that I wasn't using jargon :-D

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

I typed and retyped that post out about 7 times making sure that I wasn't using jargon :-D

What's a jar gone? Some kind of EverQuest item? :raise:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How ESO adjusts everything to your level so you can do whatever you want.

But also in early WoW I liked wasting time running low level characters through much higher level areas, trying not to die too much

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I play MMOs pretty much entirely for dungeon runs. I love playing a healer, I love raiding, I love dealing with all the bullshit that comes from having a pile of people who have no idea what to do and slowly turning them into a workable solid dungeon group. Dungeon Finder has been my favorite addition to any MMO and I am so pissed that it won't be in the WOTLK bit of classic WoW. drat I want to play Cataclysm unnerfed dungeons again with dungeon finder and have to explain insane nonsense to people again to even make it to the second boss, I love that poo poo.

Not kidding about that, I loving love dungeon finding into a pile of idiots, it makes victory so damned sweet.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
WOTLK dungeons were some of my favorites (with the exception of that loving dragon riding dungeon)

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Oh yeah, gently caress Oculus, that sucked every single time.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
it's already been mentioned but I have to highlight the ability to change your class/abilities by changing your equipment. Quite a few games do this now - Albion, New World, Warframe, Final Fantasy I guess - and it is a big genre-changing thing that makes it so much tremendously easier to play the game with people.

Sometimes this actually works too well and there's a big delay when going out to do content while everyone figures out what to wear. Albion's version of wow arenas are the worst for this.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Shadow0 posted:

i dont think anyone answered the second part of your post but no its not medically safe, one of my friends back in like 2003 played a bard and got carpal tunnel from it

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Ad by Khad posted:

it's already been mentioned but I have to highlight the ability to change your class/abilities by changing your equipment. Quite a few games do this now - Albion, New World, Warframe, Final Fantasy I guess - and it is a big genre-changing thing that makes it so much tremendously easier to play the game with people.

Sometimes this actually works too well and there's a big delay when going out to do content while everyone figures out what to wear. Albion's version of wow arenas are the worst for this.

I liked FFXIV's solution to this, each class getting its own set more or less. You just pick your class and off to the races.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
When they added skill capes to runescape it was pretty cool.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Flying in World of Warcraft.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Wildstar's Adventures were a really cool feature in a bad MMO

gently caress loot corridors, getting to do something like a tower defense or a DOTA-ish style dungeon was cool.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Alternative advancement in EQ is and was a controversial thing. It was added grind, it turned into a form of gatekeeping, and it forced the devs to perpetuate that gatekeeping. But there were some really fuckin cool abilities that AAs granted.

-A necro could turn the corpse of any monster into a short duration pet. Great for freaking out raids.
-an enchanter could cast their class defining illusion spells onto other players
-fading memories and boastful bellow for bards? I already gushed about these in another thread
-rogues had an actually useful stealth ability
-rangers could actually just become the archers they always wanted to be

There's plenty of cool ones I'm forgetting or never got exposed to. Overall, the idea of AAs was good but the execution was mixed. They needed less "combat mitigation," and more "do zany poo poo."

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Vinestalk posted:

Alternative advancement in EQ is and was a controversial thing. It was added grind, it turned into a form of gatekeeping, and it forced the devs to perpetuate that gatekeeping. But there were some really fuckin cool abilities that AAs granted.

-A necro could turn the corpse of any monster into a short duration pet. Great for freaking out raids.
-an enchanter could cast their class defining illusion spells onto other players
-fading memories and boastful bellow for bards? I already gushed about these in another thread
-rogues had an actually useful stealth ability
-rangers could actually just become the archers they always wanted to be

There's plenty of cool ones I'm forgetting or never got exposed to. Overall, the idea of AAs was good but the execution was mixed. They needed less "combat mitigation," and more "do zany poo poo."

Well when the Combat Mitigation came out, my bard moved from "gonna die after a few hits" to "Wow, if I could hold agro at all I could tank"

But I feel this fits under your Zany poo poo as a Bard since we lost our ability to tank between classic and Velious.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Bards really should've been chain, I never understood why they wore plate.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Battlegrounds in Dark Age of Camelot.

RvR was supposed to be for everyone, but in practice it was for end-game players. The reward for leveling there wasn't worth the effort, even if you weren't harassed by a griefer.

Battlegrounds were the perfect solution and were often more fun than rvr. Little to no bullshit rvr abilities and class balance was a lot more fair and interesting at the middle levels. When they added free level 20's, thidranki became the main draw for a while. RvR was serious business land for uptight dugongs, while thidranki is where you went to have fun.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i liked AAs. they gave you something to do once you hit cap and gave you some freedom in prioritizing the ones that are important to you.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I remember when they came out in Luclin I was like "Oh my God this is such a good idea!!"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

did anyone say trusts in FF11 yet

although that significantly reduced how MMO it is

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Guild Wars 2 letting you be in multiple guilds at once was great. Way less worrying about trying to find some "sweet spot" guild, you could be in different guilds that focused on different things and get the best of all of them.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

PyRosflam posted:

Well when the Combat Mitigation came out, my bard moved from "gonna die after a few hits" to "Wow, if I could hold agro at all I could tank"

But I feel this fits under your Zany poo poo as a Bard since we lost our ability to tank between classic and Velious.

one of my fondest memories was tanking bertoxulous for his last 5% when all the rest of our tanks died by using blade dance

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

that reminds me: city of heroes sidekicking. I actually don't remember much about it, just you could play with friends even if they weren't your level or near your level.

Dammit, literally came in to post this.

Made a new character at level 1 but your friend is level XX? Make him the team leader and you’re sidekicked up to level (XX - 1) while you’re doing his missions. You’re not necessarily great (you still only have the powers at your original with and only get more when you train up every second level, plus you don’t have the enhancements that increase damage, accuracy, etc) but you’re good enough to pal around and contribute and get more xp than if you’re solo.

Your high level friend just wants to mess around with you in the starting zone? Then YOU become the leader and they’re exemplared down to your level, with with scaled down enhancements and one or two extra powers above that level as a bonus.

It was a good way to encourage people to bring their friends along for teams.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

clean ayers act posted:

one of my fondest memories was tanking bertoxulous for his last 5% when all the rest of our tanks died by using blade dance

I loved Deft Dance so much.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

cmdrk posted:

i liked AAs. they gave you something to do once you hit cap and gave you some freedom in prioritizing the ones that are important to you.

it owned that shadowknights, a class built to tank and use spells to hold aggro, could originally buy the AAs that reduced your spell aggro and there was no way to un-buy them

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

OneEightHundred posted:

Guild Wars 2 letting you be in multiple guilds at once was great. Way less worrying about trying to find some "sweet spot" guild, you could be in different guilds that focused on different things and get the best of all of them.

Yeah this is a great feature. I needed a break from gw2 for a bit so I went back and played some swtor for the seasonal bullshit and boy howdy do I miss just having any character already in a guild and being able to switch it around.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
You can uninstall eve now without it destroying your pc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

You can uninstall eve now without it destroying your pc.

I am fairly sure you can patch it now with out destroying your PC.

https://www.eurogamer.net/eve-kills-windows-dead