Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ryan Field is fine. It’s exactly what you would expect it to be. No better, no worse.

The Big House, on the other hand, is maybe the most underwhelming sports venue I’ve ever set foot in. After years of hype and seeing games on tv it’s just blah in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
it was nice for the commencement ceremony but each game i went to i was like "ugh this is just a big dumb place" yeah. for some reason just doesn't have any historical feel for me :shrug:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Ryan Field is fine. It’s exactly what you would expect it to be. No better, no worse.

The Big House, on the other hand, is maybe the most underwhelming sports venue I’ve ever set foot in. After years of hype and seeing games on tv it’s just blah in person.

the northwestern venue that i loved above all others was the lovely basketball arena with foldout bleachers like a high school gym. the student section was basically on the court. when i was there, they didn't even have a video board just a dot scoreboard. they didn't have a tunnel for the players, they had to sort of shove past the concession line to get onto the court. i can't imagine a place could tell you anything more about northwestern basketball. they renovated it and i'm crushed.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

General Dog posted:

Ryan Field sounds like the name of a Big Ten West quarterback.

Ryan Field - 17/31, 198 yds, 1 TD 1 INT

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

the northwestern venue that i loved above all others was the lovely basketball arena with foldout bleachers like a high school gym. the student section was basically on the court. when i was there, they didn't even have a video board just a dot scoreboard. they didn't have a tunnel for the players, they had to sort of shove past the concession line to get onto the court. i can't imagine a place could tell you anything more about northwestern basketball. they renovated it and i'm crushed.

Any basketball venue like this rules. St. John Arena at OSU is the same way.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

R.D. Mangles posted:

I watched a wrestling meet in there that Iowa won 55-0, it was the most Northwestern thing

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well at least Syracuse won't delay the Texas game too much now

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Do we know if Sanders is playing against Texas yet? Not sure how much hope I should have here.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

Do we know if Sanders is playing against Texas yet? Not sure how much hope I should have here.

https://twitter.com/MarshallScottOK/status/1583875121369882624

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Can Miami just fold the program? Like for real?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I’ll tell you why- they stink!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
gently caress theyre so bad how does this even happen?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Cristobal left Oregon and infinite Nike money to go get blown out by the likes of Duke in 3/4s empty stadiums.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Cristobal left Oregon and infinite Nike money to go get blown out by the likes of Duke in 3/4s empty stadiums.

Love to see it.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Mama called (from hospice)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Umpire first guy to touch Bijan on that one

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If he’s any good he’ll figure it out at Miami (though maybe not to the tune of regular top 5 contention) and if he actually sucks he wasn’t going to make it at Oregon in the long term anyway.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Mertz is so awful at navigating pressure

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

General Dog posted:

If he’s any good he’ll figure it out at Miami (though maybe not to the tune of regular top 5 contention) and if he actually sucks he wasn’t going to make it at Oregon in the long term anyway.

Get your logic out of here.

I wanted him to stay but I am petty happy he’s totally loving it up down there so far.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

General Dog posted:

I think Oregon is an easier place to win than Miami. I don’t know if he’s good or not but he’d probably be more successful at Oregon either way.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Miami shouldn't be quite this bad in year 1 under Mario, but I will wait to pass serious judgment because it's year 1

Given all the trouble that Miami went through to hire Mario, the funniest scenario is that Mario just leaves for Alabama once Saban retires

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Edit: not the gdt

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

At this point the only way I’d take the Miami job is if my best years were behind me and I wanted to secure a decent bag for retirement.

Seems like the job is a poison pill and could stop an up and coming coach’s career in its tracks

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think Oregon is an easier place to win than Miami. I don’t know if he’s good or not but he’d probably be more successful at Oregon either way.

On the other hand he gets to live in Miami and and not Eugene.

It’s awesome any time to see Duke beat Miami but realistically Miami is probably going back to being weirdly good soon enough

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Purdue just scored without the ball crossing the goal line.

O/U was 51.5, the fake TD puts it at 52. Ref are gambling

Yates fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 22, 2022

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Texas might want to think about doing something successfully, anything at all

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Adun posted:

On the other hand he gets to live in Miami and and not Eugene.

It’s awesome any time to see Duke beat Miami but realistically Miami is probably going back to being weirdly good soon enough

Miami hasn’t been good for two decades, I don’t know why anyone would expect that to change now.

Eugene is a fine little college town and won’t be under water in like a decade. I don’t imagine a 52 year old married dude is really taking advantage of the best Miami has to offer anyway.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Miami since joining the ACC has been TCU with an effective propaganda arm. They've won fewer ACC Coastal titles than Florida and FSU have won national championships in that timeframe.

Miami might be different under Cristobal. Miami threw around the sort of money you only throw around if you're serious about football. Miami spent $20MM to fire Diaz and buy out Cristobal from Oregon, Miami gave Cristobal a serious budget for assistants, and Cristobal's relative by marriage John Ruiz was willing to throw some bags around in the NIL market. Cristobal is a known good quantity, who despite his Muschampian view of offense, won 8-10 games a year at Oregon. Cristobal will serve as the litmus test for what Miami can actually be in an era where you can't hide South Florida recruits anymore.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Miami hasn’t been good for two decades, I don’t know why anyone would expect that to change now.

Eugene is a fine little college town and won’t be under water in like a decade. I don’t imagine a 52 year old married dude is really taking advantage of the best Miami has to offer anyway.

Money. And hiring what seems to be the perfect fit culturally for head coach after a string of miscues.

He’s a 52 year old married dude who grew up in Miami, played there, and has his entire family there. Honestly would’ve been more surprising if he didn’t go

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Seth Littrell should be thrown in a dumpster and the dumpster thrown into the ocean

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I read somewhere that Miami can be tricky to recruit for but I don’t know why that would be other than a lot of in state competition.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

I read somewhere that Miami can be tricky to recruit for but I don’t know why that would be other than a lot of in state competition.

Miami can't hide recruits anymore like they did up to the late 90s, e.g. Ed Reed, 2-star recruit. If you're a good football player in Miami, the whole country, not just the Florida schools will call on you.

And fundamentally, no one gives a poo poo about Miami football outside of the Dan Le Batard Show when they're not top-10 good. Say what you will about Tennessee, but those people never stopped caring about Vol football despite the last 15 years of suck.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Adun posted:

Money. And hiring what seems to be the perfect fit culturally for head coach after a string of miscues.

He’s a 52 year old married dude who grew up in Miami, played there, and has his entire family there. Honestly would’ve been more surprising if he didn’t go

I understand why he went but that doesn’t change the fact that he left a pretty cushy job to get blown out by mediocre teams in front of mostly empty stadiums.

Blue Raider posted:

The administration didn’t give a poo poo about football for a long time so the facilities sucked. The stadium isn’t even on campus so it’s not really integrated into the school culture. Students seem more interested in doing all of the other things there are so do in Miami vs riding out to Miami Gardens to watch their team lose. They’ve got a lot of in state rivals, all with more recent success.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I understand why he went but that doesn’t change the fact that he left a pretty cushy job to get blown out by mediocre teams in front of mostly empty stadiums.

This is certainly true. Oregon is a great place to coach, but maybe they goofed by hiring Taggart and Cristobal since they're both Florida guys with no attachment to the Pacific NW.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

go vandals and lol Weber State refining safety school

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Ah well, WVU is real bad.

Maybe they do actually dig up enough cash to fire Neal Brown this year.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I see a lot of Miami gear in middle Tennessee, more so than any other Florida school

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Godzilla07 posted:

Miami can't hide recruits anymore like they did up to the late 90s, e.g. Ed Reed, 2-star recruit. If you're a good football player in Miami, the whole country, not just the Florida schools will call on you.

And fundamentally, no one gives a poo poo about Miami football outside of the Dan Le Batard Show when they're not top-10 good. Say what you will about Tennessee, but those people never stopped caring about Vol football despite the last 15 years of suck.

well part of that is bc Miami is a tiny itty bitty private school for rich kids. its not a state school so once they stopped being a powerhouse the fanbase of largely bandwagon fans moved along. Tennessee is a massive public university who have a ton of alumni and sway in the state, they were never going to stop caring

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So the Cowpokes completely shut us down in the second half?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Yeah it ruled