Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Honestly there are situations where your best option is to ignore it. Somebody in crisis standing in traffic or screaming at the sky or the like. Had a guy show me his junk a couple months ago. He just said “excuse me” and when I turned to acknowledge him he pulled down his shorts and cupped his balls and smiled.” Nothing to do but move on in those situations

But for the most part homeless people are pretty friendly if you greet them and acknowledge them and even make polite chit chat. There’s a guy in a van a couple blocks from me I walk passed a few times a week and he’s got a big friendly dog and I’m not sure what his situation is because it’s not my place to ask if he isnt offering, it we can always say a few casual things about the weather or traffic in the neighborhood or give the dog a stomach rub

Even people who are best avoided when in some sort of crisis are often perfectly fine to interact with on a good day. There really just people. One thing about housing first options is that if people are indoors they aren’t having crisises in public and that’s a good thing. But imagine if we spent our energy on providing people with the means and the motivation to seek help when necessary instead of just using the most brutal law and order authoritarian crackdown methods and wondering why people don’t buy into the systems that ostensibly are there to help

i was talking about at a policy level. yeah if someone is dangerous or having a crisis you, an untrained person, should probably just get away. but i hear peopel talking about the homeless like it isn't a problem that they exist, that there isn't anything to do about it. very much a "don't like it? don't live here!" attitude which i do not think is helpful or good. we should be doing something about it! like, housing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

i was talking about at a policy level. yeah if someone is dangerous or having a crisis you, an untrained person, should probably just get away. but i hear peopel talking about the homeless like it isn't a problem that they exist, that there isn't anything to do about it. very much a "don't like it? don't live here!" attitude which i do not think is helpful or good. we should be doing something about it! like, housing them.

Ah. Gotcha! I honestly don’t hear that one. Public opinion and even amongst people I know tends to split neatly between “harsh crackdown” and “they are members of the community” and I don’t see anyone pretending the problem doesn’t exist. Mostly the “move to the suburbs” stuff is either a threat from the crackdown types “fix this or I’m moving” or it’s actual suburbanites being shitheads “move to the suburbs where this doesn’t happen”

Which actually yeah to your point suburbanites like to pretend these problems are outside of them and they don’t have to acknowledge that they’re as much a part of the problem and solution as anyone else. So after typing all that up I guess I’m agreeing with you

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Just read up on it and my first question—the ten blocks from existing shelters thing seems pointless and just a way to gently caress with people. Does it make exceptions for whether or not the shelters are full or whether they would even take that particular homeless person (for example, a guy near a women’s shelter, or somebody with a dog)? The meat seems to be the 200 ft from waterways because that tends to be the green spaces where it’s easiest to camp out of sight

Afaik these sort of bans are basically a sop to the neighborhood around the shelter- okay were putting some of those evil homeless people there but at least we're making sure they're not on the street near you. When I did some volunteer work at a shelter we'd have to patrol around a few times a night to make sure no one was sleeping nearby

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
IDK if it's been mentioned but on the positive side panhandling is being established as expression of free speech in various recent court cases throughout the country, so one less thing they can get hassled for :unsmith:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Love Rat posted:

Republican-dominated states like to pretend there's some lockstep leftwing thing happening in places like Seattle, but rich people and people with means run these cities just like anywhere else, even if they talk big game about LGBTQ and minority rights, about inclusivity, etc. These are just platitudes. If you want to see hate in Seattle bring up any left-wing politician or activist or even pragmatic solution at North Seattle neighborhood meetings lol.

The Sawant stuff is so funny. She is 1 councilwoman and constantly gets outvoted by nearly everyone on the council. A few years ago one of my coworkers was complaining that she was trying to pass a law that would keep landlords from evicting drug dealers. I looked it up and what she was trying to get passed was a bill that would make it much harder for landlords to evict people in the winters.

Blue states have their culture wars, usually the target of their ire is poor people.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bedpan posted:

I should clarify that by street executions, I mean a formal program to literally massacre the homeless versus the current strategy of maneuvering the homeless into a position where they are more likely to have encounters with the police and thus, be more likely to be extrajudicially executed.

I don't think we will see a program to conduct genocide on the homeless, at least not yet. Things are not bad enough for that to happen. In other words, there is still a lot of room for liberals to make life for the homeless even worse, even more miserable, even more degrading, and even more precarious.

that one YouTuber who ran for governor in California in the recall election had a "final solution" plan for the homeless I thought

it sounded very ominous

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Just read up on it and my first question—the ten blocks from existing shelters thing seems pointless and just a way to gently caress with people. Does it make exceptions for whether or not the shelters are full or whether they would even take that particular homeless person (for example, a guy near a women’s shelter, or somebody with a dog)? The meat seems to be the 200 ft from waterways because that tends to be the green spaces where it’s easiest to camp out of sight

From what I know there are some bigger camps near the shelters. They are trying to move them "diplomatically". One was cleared earlier this year but people just moved back because there are services near it.

I've just been here for a year though and things have just gotten worse.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

err posted:

the liberal response to homelessness and empire collapse is to punish anyone & everyone. not even an attempt to reorient society at all and adapt to changing situations

i live in tacoma and they passed a camping ban last week

Tennesse passed a homeless ban that would make it illegal to be homeless a few months ago. see, liberals don't actually want to hurt them, but why do they have to be OUR problem? they can go to nyc or sf instead, they shouldnt be ruining beautiful downtown portland/seattle/nashville/whatever.

point is to make it someone elses problem. america is very good and cool

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

IDK if it's been mentioned but on the positive side panhandling is being established as expression of free speech in various recent court cases throughout the country, so one less thing they can get hassled for :unsmith:

Panhandling loving sucks, and should be rendered illegal concurrently with the establishment of UBI

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Xaris posted:

Tennesse passed a homeless ban that would make it illegal to be homeless a few months ago. see, liberals don't actually want to hurt them, but why do they have to be OUR problem? they can go to nyc or sf instead, they shouldnt be ruining beautiful downtown portland/seattle/nashville/whatever.

point is to make it someone elses problem. america is very good and cool

Yeah I always forget liberals don't care enough either way. As long as they can't see them out their WFH window.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BrotherJayne posted:

Panhandling loving sucks, and should be rendered illegal concurrently with the establishment of UBI

wtf

sure lets just give the cops more reason to brutalize the homeless

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

wtf

sure lets just give the cops more reason to brutalize the homeless

idk you should probably reread that post

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

idk you should probably reread that post

If UBI was a thing and somebody still wants to panhandle what's the big deal

nobody should need to panhandle but nobody should get arrested for it either, good lord

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
idk maybe panhandling doesnt need to be defended but go on

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

idk maybe panhandling doesnt need to be defended but go on

you wouldn't think so but here we are:

BrotherJayne posted:

Panhandling loving sucks, and should be rendered illegal

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Meanwhile, these are the types of freaks who want to render it illegal:

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2018/01/04/stop-panhandling-in-dallas-sorry-but-that-s-illegal/

quote:

But the council's never stopped trying, insisting cops get tougher on beggars. They demand no-solicitation signs be planted in and around downtown. They say things like "Break their backs, break their spirit — that's the only way we're going to win this battle," to quote Pleasant Grove's Rickey Callahan. They insist most panhandlers are pros, not homeless, which the ACLU vehemently disputes.

I loathe these people and I hope they suffer chronic bedbug infestations for the rest of their miserable lives

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

lobster shirt posted:

I feel like that's two problems that share a cast of characters. We should be fixing our society, AND the people that think we do that by rounding up the poor and putting them in camps should get the gently caress out, for their sake and everyone else's.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2018/01/04/stop-panhandling-in-dallas-sorry-but-that-s-illegal/

I loathe these people and I hope they suffer chronic bedbug infestations for the rest of their miserable lives

yeah good point, im not remembering where the push is coming from

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

That's one of my least favorite American fictions, the "poor people are secretly richer than I am" thing. People say that homeless people begging in the street are living better than working people are, making a thousand bucks a day just sitting there, and you know they don't believe it because it is impossible to believe that. If you actually thought you could drastically improve your life by telling your boss to go gently caress himself and finding some cardboard, you'd try to do it, and you'd learn firsthand that it doesn't work that way. It's just this lovely sneering little fake idea that makes people feel better, but they demand you take it seriously because you can't prove they don't believe it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the Wheeler plan is only going to allow 500 people into 3 “sanctioned camping sites” which is only a fraction of the total amount of people on the streets in Portland.

Another thing is that the number of villages with prefab units has also been dropping (for various reasons) and the people that had been living at the site in old town and in the east industrial district have been both pushed out.

Basically, they making being homeless illegal without essentially anywhere to go for most people. I assume the goal is to chase them out of town.

Even Astoria has been seeing rising homelessness in the past year as well.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:18 on Oct 22, 2022

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

not sure why the actions of the tennessee state government are being ascribed to the libs. destruction of the homeless is a bipartisan project and the more overtly exterminationist stuff is definitely more common on the republican side.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

lobster shirt posted:

not sure why the actions of the tennessee state government are being ascribed to the libs. destruction of the homeless is a bipartisan project and the more overtly exterminationist stuff is definitely more common on the republican side.

I mean Portland is suppose to be a “liberal city” and look where it is at. I think the difference is messaging.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ardennes posted:

I mean Portland is suppose to be a “liberal city” and look where it is at. I think the difference is messaging.

There’s some amount of messaging. Go read how Rene Gonzales talks about homelessness to Portland liberals and it’s full of slimy platitudes and faux compassion that then hints at the extreme solutions. People are pretty good at picking up on subtext for all the ways they pretend to be dense as rocks when called out on the implications of what they’re demanding.

I doubt it was much on anyones mind during drafting but the Tennessee law has the potential to create a circuit split between the ninth and the sixth. Currently, the ninth has Martin v Boise which says you can’t criminalize camping unless there are shelter beds available. While I think cities are trying to push this in hopes that the ninth will back down or reverse, it’s out there looming over local policy decisions and gumming up the works when it comes to the most extreme solutions. The USSC has so far declined to wade into the mess, idk why but probably because it’s seen as a local issue that the court doesn’t really need to get involved in, and why do they care, they’re all plenty insulated from this stuff

But if the Tennessee law were to be challenged and sanctioned by the sixth you have a split in the federal circuits. At that point, it becomes much more likely that USSC picks up a case to sort it out. I doubt the outcome is good if that happens

As for Astoria, I was just reading about them actually sanctioning outdoor camping. I’m not surprised homelessness has made its way out there. It’s a charming little town and we’ll situated to have an affordability crisis in the wfh era

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
So the dems are gonna blame the homeless when they lose the midterms right

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the walmart/mcdonalds parking lot in town put these up

impressive density of liberal thought poison on a single piece of powdercoated steel

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Real Mean Queen posted:

they demand you take it seriously because you can't prove they don't believe it.

This describes the vast majority of beliefs americans hold

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

The white flight microcities around dallas and houston are the throbbing, rancid heart of american fascism.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

BrotherJayne posted:

What is your objection to panhandling?

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
their own feelings of guilt and shame

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The people here probably know this already but I'd like to remind everybody itt that the cruelty is the point. If you were a perfectly rational technocrat who looked around the world at the various proposed solutions to homelessness and did the neoliberal cost-benefit analyses on all of them to find the cheapest (and therefore most efficient) policy response, you would find that the cheapest and most effective way to eliminate homelessness is to give people homes. Wikipedia shockingly has a very good summary of how one of the reddest states in the United States managed this:

quote:

Homelessness and panhandling in Utah was a major issue in 2005, and the city implemented a 10-year plan hoping to eradicate homelessness by 2015.[237] Though they have not completely stopped homelessness, the state has been extremely successful at reducing homelessness by 91%.[238] In 2005 there were over 1,932 chronically homeless persons in Utah and in 2015 this figure has dropped to a staggering 178 people.[238] However, unlike many other states across the U.S., the state government did not implement hardline laws to breakdown its homelessness problem through fining, prosecuting or 'moving on'; but implemented a simple solution to the complex problem which was the 'housing first' program.[239] The primary focus was to put homeless people into housing first, and then help them deal with the underlying issues that made them became homeless from addictions, mental health and health care.[240] The last step is then to help them find employment. Studies have shown investing in homes for the homeless actually saves money in the long run.[240] It cost approximately $19,208 a year for the state to take care of its homeless people. This is through hospital visits, time in custody, shelter time and ambulance callouts.[241] In comparison, it only cost approximately $7,800 a year for the state to provide a house and holistic case management.[241] Critics say this solution may intensify laziness, however residents need to pay rent which is 30% of their income or $50 a month, whatever amount is greater.[240]

The problem with this actual solution is that the individualistic response to programs like this is to kneejerk react against people being "given something for free". You'll even hear people say things like "oh if you implement a program like that then people will just become homeless to get a free apartment", because the assumption is that poor people are scammers rather than people genuinely in need of a helping hand.

That assumption leads directly to support for cruelty as policy, because the assumption that poverty is a choice leads to the belief that homeless and poor people could choose to pull themselves up by their bootstraps if they tried hard enough, and so the solution is not to help them but to criminalize poverty to incentivize poor people to try harder. It's sickening.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

To solve homelessness you have to solve poverty which is impossible, except in china due to different racial traits or authoritarianism or whatever

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

vyelkin posted:

The people here probably know this already but I'd like to remind everybody itt that the cruelty is the point. If you were a perfectly rational technocrat who looked around the world at the various proposed solutions to homelessness and did the neoliberal cost-benefit analyses on all of them to find the cheapest (and therefore most efficient) policy response, you would find that the cheapest and most effective way to eliminate homelessness is to give people homes. Wikipedia shockingly has a very good summary of how one of the reddest states in the United States managed this:

The problem with this actual solution is that the individualistic response to programs like this is to kneejerk react against people being "given something for free". You'll even hear people say things like "oh if you implement a program like that then people will just become homeless to get a free apartment", because the assumption is that poor people are scammers rather than people genuinely in need of a helping hand.

That assumption leads directly to support for cruelty as policy, because the assumption that poverty is a choice leads to the belief that homeless and poor people could choose to pull themselves up by their bootstraps if they tried hard enough, and so the solution is not to help them but to criminalize poverty to incentivize poor people to try harder. It's sickening.

Try bringing this up to west coast libs and they’ll generally deflect it by going “oh that’s because they’re all Mormons and they have a cultural homogeneity that means they can do this but it won’t work in our delightfully more diverse city…”

It’s a really weird flex to be completely honest, with a lot of unchecked assumptions and weird cultural baggage

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They actually don't believe bootstraps are real, they want an underclass of the completely terrorized, without rights or a domicile

the old carlin line about the function of poor people seems to about cover it

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

the white hand posted:

their own feelings of guilt and shame

about 60% this if I'm going to be honest.

But additionally it should not be acceptable to get in random peoples' faces unwanted. Door to door sales and those weird religio door knockers should be illegal too.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BrotherJayne posted:

But additionally it should not be acceptable to get in random peoples' faces unwanted. Door to door sales and those weird religio door knockers should be illegal too.

Aggressive pan handlers suck but also it’s entirely possible to push past and not acknowledge them

Lots of things suck like Tesla drivers holding up two blocks of traffic trying to parallel park or dog poop on the path in the park or the lady grinding three bags of coffee blocking the aisle in the grocery store or any of a million little annoyances that come with urban living

Aggressive pan handlers don’t really suck more than any of the other poo poo you put up with day to day

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Aggressive pan handlers suck but also it’s entirely possible to push past and not acknowledge them

Lots of things suck like Tesla drivers holding up two blocks of traffic trying to parallel park or dog poop on the path in the park or the lady grinding three bags of coffee blocking the aisle in the grocery store or any of a million little annoyances that come with urban living

Aggressive pan handlers don’t really suck more than any of the other poo poo you put up with day to day

Naw, I generally sympathize with them, making the interactions suckier

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

BrotherJayne posted:

counterpoint: door to door jobs are really fun if you like annoying NIMBYs

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
canvassing was a fun job. you really get good at reading people

BrotherJayne posted:

Naw, I generally sympathize with them, making the interactions suckier

give them some money then. or have confidence in your station above them and shoulder check them if they get in your way. appreciate that there's only one unperson in the interaction and it's not you, so there's no reason to be intimidated

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

the white hand posted:

canvassing was a fun job. you really get good at reading people

give them some money then. or have confidence in your station above them and shoulder check them if they get in your way. appreciate that there's only one unperson in the interaction and it's not you, so there's no reason to be intimidated

Yeah this. Honestly most panhandlers I encounter are pretty chill but the super aggressive ones are a solved problem. Either give them money or don’t. Criminalizing it is just loving lib poo poo where they want to pretend they have empathy and also don’t want to feel bad for not having change or not wanting to give away their change

Actually had a pretty fun interaction last night. Walking in my neighborhood and a homeless woman waves at me and so I figure she’s going to ask me for change or a cigarette or whatever. She asked me if I could drive her to Redding (probably a 6/7 hour drive). I told her “sorry left my car at home” and she just smiled and we parted ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

vyelkin posted:

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!