Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i like these films. i’ve watched 3 so far

the lack of narration helps imo. could be because his narration was starting to become a parody of itself - maybe he wanted people to focus more on the images than his voice and thesis?

is there really that much reuse? i watched all of his movies in the past year and i don’t recognize more than 5-10%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

what was the reason people didn’t like his last movie? I didn’t see it

i liked it

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

He finds a lot of interesting stuff but lacks the tools to analyze it. So an Adam Curtis movie sans his narration goes a lot further, IMO.

Yes - his best material looks at what life is like for average people during these huge upheavals. he’s better at capturing that feeling than analyzing why things happened.

The chechnyan dudes doing their folk dances in episode 4 ruled. Just love all these cuties doing their silly dances with big mustaches

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Carmant posted:

I want to marry the girl who stabbed her husband

so much of this footage makes me wonder "why was somebody filming this? were they making a documentary? can i see it?" i want to know the backstory behind everything

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
the horse in episode 5 is so cool

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Tempora Mutantur posted:

bit of a tangent but where does adam curtis "formally" upload his stuff?

I keep finding vids on different sources and Hypernormalisation is one where there are like 3 or 4 different cuts of it floating around on youtube with +/- ~15 minutes of runtime and even this video is some rando youtube channel

I thought https://thoughtmaybe.com/ was it but they don't have traumazone

BBC iPlayer, i believe

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
here's an interview where he talks more explicitly about his thoughts on the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=663vLIYBcpI

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Tempora Mutantur posted:

would make me think he'd at least say "drat we really need to figure out how to get people to want to be a part of collective actions again such as the way the now-destroyed-and-barely-coming-back unions did," but instead he says something along the lines of "individuality is here forever and fucks us forever... maybe! maybe not!"

maybe it's my own ignorance or misreading of what he's said but it sounds like "yeah man we're turbofucked, and there is no alternative to capitalism but drat we really need one. if only someone highlighted a way to do this. also china is probably hosed imo so don't really listen to them because again, there's just no other way! it's so weird, there's only capitalism, nothing else could possibly work that we've already conceived of. nothing."

huh, this isn't my reading of it at all. he blames all of the problems on concentrated capital, and glorifies collective protests movements (the part in episode 6 with the mothers going to the front line for example). he doesn't come out and say "and that's why we need to go back to communism!" because he's not interested in writing political polemics, but he certainly makes the communist party regime look better than the capitalist one (IMO). and yeltsin is portrayed as a villain. i guess it's the nihilism that's the problem? which, fair, but i might feel the same way if i've been looking at all this history and seen it fail so many times

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Tempora Mutantur posted:

maybe it's because I just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrNQeYYvabg which details exactly what mechanisms resulted in the fall of the USSR which aligns with anecdotes of people I grew up with and the narratives I heard as a kid that I look back on very critically to understand my own framing of things, but I think everything curtis says is framed to make the viewer ask questions, but at the wrong "level"/the wrong questions, based on:

1) not mentioning the US'/capital's direct role in influencing and promoting and literally empowering Yeltsin as part of why the USSR collapsed, not talking about the *actual* sudden nature of Yeltsin removing price controls with no supporting replacement, just describing the sudden free market, everyone pays the prices of those who have just bought the enterprises that were previously required to limit what they charge the people by the state, but the state is no longer doing that as "wow they worked really hard to get capitalism going!"

i'm having some trouble following the rest of your post, will come back to it, but just wanted to ask how much of the show you've watched so far? i assume this is based on just that interview? because in the show he talks about the sudden price control removal explicitly, and how the economist dude who implemented it, (can't remember his name) was following the advice of American advisors. he definitely plays up how much the US loved this development, showing the Clintons and the english queen visiting and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
finished the series tonight. really good. i like “thanks to the hundreds of bbc film crews over 35 years” at the end of each ep. it’s incredible footage and i like watching it