Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I don’t know why I failed or what I failed at, but I assumed it was because someone else visited HCT which I now realize could just have been opop. I don’t know how Grandi specifically handles a failure but in that case but in my games I would still count for having visited someone even if the action was later a failure (successful target vs successful action). And a watcher/tracker would still record a successful target.

It’s like a hider role. If you target a hider with, say, a cop, the hider sees the cop for the successful target but the cop fails the action because it can’t perform the action on the hider.

I have no clue about illu though. My best guess is that because I failed to use the fenugreek it shows no spices used?

It doesn’t really matter you have to flip me at this point. All I can say is use my flip to show night actions are not going to be reliable and don’t let us lose because people start trying to work out some night action matrix rather than look for scum.

Also you should all be using your spices to combine them into a monster blend anyway. That was my goal, it looked like HCT had a lot of points and I was hoping maybe he already had a blend I could steal to kickstart me towards beating the crazy Uber mason blend I made last cookfia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
tbh I'm just buying all the "chaotic" spices and am gonna mix em together to see what happens.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

CapitalistPig posted:

tbh I'm just buying all the "chaotic" spices and am gonna mix em together to see what happens.

This is the way. Again, look at what I made last game and try to beat it:

quote:

This masonry has been upgraded to a *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance with no out of network providers*
This masonry has access to a communal **Weak** *Doctor* Power. At night, if the entire masonry agrees on a target, the masonry will use this power on the target. This power will be deactivated if the masonry ever drops to a single player. This is the masonry's action, not the action of it's members. If this power is used on a player who is **NOT TOWN** aligned, the *Doctor* power will stop being effective the following night, the masonry will not be informed that the *Doctor* power is no longer effective.
When the *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance with no out of network providers* targets a player with it's **Weak** *Doctor* power, it will steal the most valuable spice or spice blend from the target (value is determined by the sum of the cost of all spices in a blend). If a spice or spice blend is stolen, that player will be given a **Curing Salt** as recompence. The *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance with no out of network providers* has access to this spice or spice blend and can use its action on subsequent nights to use any stolen spices or spice blends instead of the **Weak** *Doctor* power. Any stolen spices can be used only if the entire masonry agrees on the target and the spice or spice blend being used. Any stolen spices can continue to be used by the masonry until they are exhausted, even if it only has 1 living member.
The *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance with no out of network providers* protects its members, even if they make a mistake. The __first time__ a member of the *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance* would be targeted with a killing action, they will survive by deploying lawyers to make the issue go away. The *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance* will not be informed when the *Malpractice Insurance* is triggered.
Any actions that target any member of the *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance with no out of network providers* will be randomly redirected to either a member of *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance with no out of network providers* or the *Greedy HMO with Malpractice Insurance with no out of network providers* itself.

Look at it. It’s glorious.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Voodoofly posted:

I have no clue about illu though. My best guess is that because I failed to use the fenugreek it shows no spices used?

If your action failed you wouldn't have registered as a visit. I think the idea is you were using a spice that's not available on the spice rack, i.e. something only scum have access to.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Maerlyn posted:

If your action failed you wouldn't have registered as a visit. I think the idea is you were using a spice that's not available on the spice rack, i.e. something only scum have access to.

Look just go back after my flip and stop making assumptions like this. By your own logic if a kill failed on HCT then that is a failed action so opop wouldn’t have seen it right? Because a failed action by your words doesn’t register as a visit?

You can target someone successfully and still fail an action. Or at least you can in most of the games I’ve played in and ran.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Depending on how Grandi does it it's possible that voodoo could be watched/tracked and then have his action fail, but that would require HCT to be lying about losing his BP which is less likely

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Opopanax posted:

Depending on how Grandi does it it's possible that voodoo could be watched/tracked and then have his action fail, but that would require HCT to be lying about losing his BP which is less likely

I mean yes, but I’d put more money on an untraceable kill.

With this many watch, track and protection items floating around the scum almost certainly have a way to counter it.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I've been away for the weekend and have caught up with the revelations as far as I could but for me this is the clincher, ain't it:

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Well, if it turns out it's not you, then it's Illusionis and Opop.

Yeah this is the reason I'm not going to lose sleep even if you flip town

I'm a big fan of votes that make sense either way. We're one scum in hand regardless - in the (now looking quite likely? Occam's razor innit) event you're town there's information gained either way.

I'll make dahl tomorrow, got myself a story about that. I think I already have all the spice that I want for riding this to victory, though.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Green Wing posted:

I'm a big fan of votes that make sense either way. We're one scum in hand regardless - in the (now looking quite likely? Occam's razor innit) event you're town there's information gained either way.

Hm this makes me wary, I did think Voodoo looked a bit scummy regardless but if it's actually not him, I don't think it has to be Illu or Opop. "There was just a ninja" is the far more sensible option.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I feel like if we start to speculate that there are crazy spice blends that change everything, we would start thinking that absolutely nothing about night results could be trusted, and at that point what's the point of any of it. There could always be a ninja, but, like. Do we actually have any kind of indication that there might be?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Green Wing posted:

I feel like if we start to speculate that there are crazy spice blends that change everything, we would start thinking that absolutely nothing about night results could be trusted, and at that point what's the point of any of it. There could always be a ninja, but, like. Do we actually have any kind of indication that there might be?

If Voodoo turns out to not be scum after all that, yes.

That would be a pretty good indication that scum used their spices to give themselves one of the most classic tools to protect them from detection.

As opposed to thinking one of Illu or Opop just has to be lying for no clear benefit. Can't be that hard to slouch to a different mislunch.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

Hm this makes me wary, I did think Voodoo looked a bit scummy regardless but if it's actually not him, I don't think it has to be Illu or Opop. "There was just a ninja" is the far more sensible option.

I still think you are town

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Green Wing posted:

There are definitely crazy spice blends that change everything.

It’s like the only thing you can be sure about in this game.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Maerlyn posted:

Also scum have access to a different spice rack?

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011

Voodoofly posted:

Also scum have access to a different spice rack?

Yeah this is honestly pretty weird, my assumption was that scum or at least 3p would be the only ones that have access to non-spice visit. If the result of me upgrading my track with a couple of spices is that it gives false positives when somebody just fails to use their spice I'm going really bummed out.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Can only speak from past experience but in prior games Grandi gave scum spices for ninja, jugg, and two other things, I think one was poison maybe (trying to remember when I was scum with Sci). I don't know if Grandi still does that and of course no one is going to confirm it.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

##feed homunculus salt because who doesn't love a salted caramel homunculus?

My brain is not working today but it seems like (1) somebody targeted HCT with a killing power that (2) was fended off by HCT's spice blend and (2) both Opop and Voodoo targeted HCT so it had to have been one of them, but (a) either of them could have just stolen his spice instead, except (b) there could have been a ninja someplace and (c) nobody died?

Don't anybody tell me I don't know how to do an outline. I already said, non compos mentis today

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
##feed homunculus sage

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Backstory

Back in the good old days when I was Queen of the Realm I had a staff to cook things, and even though I was very clear and concise about my wishes (no cheese on the hamburger, and light fluffy doughnuts with plenty of air and not too sweet), the Royal Confectioner served me this:

Now first I should say there are no bad doughnuts, not really. But there are better doughnuts and I demand the best. Like this one? Not even a hole, and very messy to cut into, and too sweet. I want a bit of sweetness; I do not wish to lick my fingers. So I did eat it, but it was not the experience I had in mind so I had the Royal Confectioner beheaded.

Then I made my doughnut desires known to the Royal Baker, and she ignored my wishes entirely and brought out something from the French Laundry Cookbook that looked like this:

At least that one had a hole! And again, no bad donuts! But it was not what I'd asked for, not at all. Off with her head.

I turned to the Royal Pastry Chef in utter despair of getting it right. And the Royal Pastry Chef turned out this:

That isn't ... that isn't even a doughnut! The RPC bragged that this cream-stuffed concoction "tastes just like apple pie a la mode." Well then for the love of Michel, make apple pie a la mode, how hard is that? You're the Royal Pastry Chef. Or, you were. Off to the gallows. Well actually, despite my abject disappointment I was feeling mellow that day so the RPC was merely defenestrated, and since the bakery was on the ground floor, no harm done there.

And then, the Unpleasantness. The King and I were forced to flee the castle in the dark of night and assume the garb of ordinary peasants, distasteful as it was, and to go about in disguise, wearing hats, dark sunglasses, occasional masks, and onions on our belts, which seemed to be the style at the time, for reasons I am unclear about.

So, trundling about like a peon, I happened upon a shop with the utterly mundane moniker The Donut Shop. DOnut. Hmpf. But I require doughnuts so I thought I would give it a try.

Oh, the humiliation of waiting in line like a desperate ordinary person who quite frankly does not deserve to live any better, not having my innate royal superiority, not that I could say that. And it was quite suspenseful as poor ordinary working stiff after poor ordinary working stiff went to the counter and ordered a quantity--a dozen assorted, say, or two dozen and make sure at least eight of them are chocolate and another six with pink (!) frosting and sprinkles (!). And one by one they would walk away with white boxes of varying size, with big smiles on their faces, and the supply of doughnuts, excuse me, DOnuts, grew fewer and fewer. I began to be quite agitated that the plain looking donut I saw winking at me on the back shelf would be sold to one of these knuckle-draggers!

But at last my time came, and the clerk was quite snide. She was like "Oh here is this loser getting ONE donut. Here's someone with no friends, or someone who is too selfish to share with her office mates." She very pointedly dropped my lone plain raised glazed doughnut into a very small white sack and I was on my way.

It was, of course, perfection.

Fortunately I took this picture before I devoured it. Then I went back and demanded the recipe.

Oh, I'm not going to give it to you, unless of course you beg me. The thing is, this recipe makes 24 doughnuts or donuts or however you want to spell it. I haven't made it because I would eat all of them, which would not be a good thing. This recipe should not be in my hands and I don't think it should be in your hands either, because either you hate donuts and would not dream of afflicting your palate with so much sugar so you would not make it, or you love donuts and would, like me, eat the entire output of this recipe. See it's your health I'm thinking of.

Meanwhile in order to make something I did this thing with leftover egg whites. Meringue, basically, only with almond extract to cut down on the eggy taste, without losing the whiteness.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
##feed Homunculus Cayenne

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

##lecture homunculus

And by lecture I mean declaim tongue-twisting limericks

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
:siren:Flash Deal 3: Make something with a backstory (it can be real, it can be fake, I don't care, but pretend you are a recipe on the internet that takes way to long to scroll through to get to the actual recipe) for 25 points.:siren:

Food with a story eh? Well. Let me tell you about how a young man found his favorite kind of food.

A young man was a very adventurous eater who loved trying new foods from all over the world, whatever he could fin where he lived. If there was a restaurant for it in his town, he went.

There was one kind of food he was always very curious about that he'd seen on the internet.

Korean Food.

specifically a cylindrical rice cake that looked like it would be right up his alley.

Specifically used often in a street food called Tteokbokki.

But the lad had no where to get this delicacy so sadly would have to wait.

Then, one day, there it was.

Here, in Costco.

The picture was clearly of the ricecakes, this was it. But this, was a Rapokki kit. Mostly Rapokki is just Tteokbokki but with instant noodles added into the mix.

Her still grabbed it because here it was finally.

That night, he made the kit according to its instructions. It was amazing, the flavors, sweet and spicy and delicious.

So then, he became obsessed with Korean food.

Making his own Kim Chi from scratch, researching other kinds of Korean dishs and making them. Eventually the area became much larger and there were various kinds of East and South Asian stores and restaurants popping up everywhere.

His love for Korean food all began with this simple kit from Costco.

Cpig style Rapokki -

The kit includes the sauce packet, some of the rice cakes, a pack of Korean style instant noodles, and a pack of dried green onions

What i do is get a small skillet to fry a couple eggs, get the non stick wok, and then a separate pot to cook the rice cakes.

You'll also need some kim chi, because you need that with pretty much every single Korean food that exists.

This week i was lazy and just got store bought Kim Chi, typically i have a big bucket I made.

Also get some fresh green cabbage ready, a couple eggs, some chopped fresh green onion, and some shaved pork.

After that's sorted i put about 4 cups of water in a saucepan and start it getting boiling gently on medium high

This is a good time to crack the eggs into the smaller skillet on medium with some sesame oil and salt and pepper.

Then i put the following in the non stick wok.

Diced white onion, some sort of chilis (i used a mix of serrano, habanero, and jalapeno that i have frozen.), salt, pepper, sesame oil, Gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes), and Gochujang (Korean red pepper sauce)

Turn the wok on high and stir fry that stuff together until the rice cakes start lightly boiling then add the pork, cabbage, and some of the kimchi juice and kimchi, just a bit. and keep the stir fry going until the ricecakes float to the top of the water and then only drain about half of it.

Then dump it all into the wok and let it bubble, add the instant noodles and sauce packet and let it bubble stirring it up real good and the sauce should begin to thicken.

Then after the noodles are cooked and everything is thick and saucy serve it up in bowls.

I like to top mine with fried eggs, sesame seeds, a bit of kimchi and fresh green onions.

And that is how Korean food became my favorite kind of food and a recipe showing how I like to do it now.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Illu did you say which spices you used on voodoo

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Illusionis posted:

Yeah went back and checked again what HCT said in masonry and now it's making more sense to me what your investigation was. ##feed homunculus parsley

This time you start with fresh picked parsley from your garden, bundle it up in a boquet garni. You whistle loudly and the homunculus bounds out of the door toward you. In a single motion you toss the bundle of parsley in the air, and the homunculus leaps gracefully in the air to snag it at it's apex. It is gone before it lands on the ground. A few moments later it spits out a small length of string. It's tongue lolling out the side of it's mouth contentedly.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

CapitalistPig posted:

##feed Homunculus Cayenne

You twist the cap off a new jar of Cayenne Pepper, remove the foil seal and place it in front of you. The homunculus looks at it, looks at you, then looks back to the jar. You nod approvingly. Then the homunculus takes the whole jar in its mouth, throws it's head back, and downs it all in one. It places the now empty container on the ground and gives a single spicy burp before sauntering off.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Rhymes With Clue posted:

##feed homunculous thyme

That's a hell of a sunday breakfast but Frunk is a different kind of...person.

You find some dried thyme in the back of the cabinet. It's a couple of years old, but probably still good. Right? Whatever... you upend the bottle in front of your homunculus and it lazily laps it up.
It looks satisfied, you guess, it is kind of hard to tell.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Rhymes With Clue posted:

##lecture homunculus

And by lecture I mean declaim tongue-twisting limericks

Nothing happens.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Rhymes With Clue posted:

##feed homunculus salt because who doesn't love a salted caramel homunculus?

You have so much salt in your cupboard you aren't sure which they will like the most, you pull the Iodized Table Salt, you pull your box of Kosher Salt, you have some flaky finishing salt, and you have your slab of Himalayan Pink Salt. Yeah, that's what makes the most sense, it has the most minerality and it the color is a nice contrast with it's dark brown toffee exterior.
You lay the slab out next to were your Homunculus has set up it's little nest. It looks at the slab of salt and incorporates it into it's nest. Maybe it'll absorb some if it sleeps on it? Who knows, homunculus physiology is a bit of a mystery anyway.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Haystacks Calhoun was a professional wrestler but more than that, he was my best friend.

We met while he was a guest on Art Linkletter's House Party. I was just a kid at the time, having left home to make something of myself. I found a gig on a variety show just making hamburgers (the previous grill master unfortunately had a nasty accident late at night when crossing a busy intersection - I was really concerned but a job was a job and I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth). The police never did figure out who pushed him but he made a full recovery!

So where was I? Oh yeah, burgers...

Haystacks was performing one day, throwing haybales in a loft. That's where his nickname came from, Haystacks, it wasn't his Christian name, that was William.

So I learned that Haystacks loved one thing above all else...ok not more than his mama or professional wrestling so maybe not ALL else, but a lot... that was gravy.

He put gravy on EVERYTHING...toast, scrambled eggs, biscuits, Oreos, french fries (yeah he invented poutine, so what??) but when he requested a hamburger patty with hashbrowns and gravy, I have to say I was just flabbergasted. I almost asked him to throw me up in the loft with the haybales because I thought I was dreaming. But he convinced me, so I grabbed a pan and some hashbrowns, and went to work.

Haystacks instructed me avidly, and I put the hashbrowns on the plate, the hamburger patty and covered it with gravy. I thought the gravy was too runny but Haystacks didn't mind. This was basically an appetizer though.

I made 20 plates of haystacks for Haystacks that evening, I had to run to the store for more hashbrowns and ground beef after plate 10 and the other actors on the set were really hungry but I was a man on a mission. Haystacks must be fed.

That's why this dish is called Haystacks. Unfortunately his son Haystacks Jr does not share the same appreciation as his dad did:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Hey Maerlyn, Let's go on a ##ROAD TRIP! Maerlyn

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

CapitalistPig posted:

Nothing happens.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
but tomorrow we'll have to go , whoops

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Substitutions were made! Chicken. Adobo instead of aji amarillo. It turned out pretty good. I am so exhausted from my trip to the donut shop that I am unable to properly write this up. So sad.

It tasted delish. It reminded though, somehow, of deviled eggs. Which does not make any sense.

Will def try this again with seafood. Thanks wologar! I had never heard of this dish.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Maerlyn posted:

Haystacks Calhoun was a professional wrestler but more than that, he was my best friend.

Waitt.... Is this real?!

That is AWESOME.

I actually am very interested in wrestling in the 60's and 70's and I've been on a Haystacks Calhoun kick recently, to the point where I play a wrestling sim game and have been playing a territories mod set in 1970 and have hired Haystacks to have him be my Midcard Champion to start the new company off.

Interesting Coincidence.

Like I literally just started this save a few days ago.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

CapitalistPig posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Where we goin Cap?

Also the Haystacks Calhoun reference is a total coincidence, lol. My family calls that meal haystacks for some reason, so I just googled Haystacks and found the wrestler bio. Some of the bits I wrote were real (throwing hay bales on a variety show). I was telling my husband that wrestling back then was crazy, you won't find 600+ lb wrestlers anymore but there were apparently a fair amount (I just knew about Andre the Giant).

But his Wikipedia page is awesome, he used to CARRY cows on the farm he grew up on... lol. I should look up some clips of his wrestling now if I can find them.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

CapitalistPig posted:

Waitt.... Is this real?!

That is AWESOME.

I actually am very interested in wrestling in the 60's and 70's and I've been on a Haystacks Calhoun kick recently, to the point where I play a wrestling sim game and have been playing a territories mod set in 1970 and have hired Haystacks to have him be my Midcard Champion to start the new company off.

Interesting Coincidence.

Like I literally just started this save a few days ago.

TEW or the new one? If so how is the new one?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Voodoofly posted:

TEW or the new one? If so how is the new one?

It's Just TEW 2020.

There's a couple of new ones, I bought one called "Pro Wrestling Sim" on Steam which is good, but lacks the features of TEW, but it's been getting more and the dev seems to be working on it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

CapitalistPig posted:

It's Just TEW 2020.

There's a couple of new ones, I bought one called "Pro Wrestling Sim" on Steam which is good, but lacks the features of TEW, but it's been getting more and the dev seems to be working on it.

Yeah I’ve been watching Pro Weestling Sim as well and will bite someday.

Maybe I should find a fun database and do another TEW run again.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Causa de cangrejo

I couldn't buy just two single gold potatoes so I bought a whole bag of baby potatoes:

This is post boiling and mid peeling:

Mashing, should have actually pureed them probably to get a uniform texture:

And the photos stop there for now, I was too involved in the layer process. I didn't have chili paste so I used a bit of chili powder, the potatoes taste really good.

I couldn't find crab pulp so I bought "crab" chunks and chopped them myself. Go to fridge for mayo.......oh gently caress we just have Miracle Whip 😫 Miracle Whip is gonna make this sweet as gently caress, cmon people...

I add a little mustard hoping to cut down the sweet taste but it's a lost cause.

Add avocado and more potato:

Besides the crab snafu it looks good, am excited to try it all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I made my recipe tonight I don't care. 5 Ingredient Zucchini Patties, Opop Jr's favourite food.

First grate your zucchini. Do this early so you can give it lots of time to drain. Put it in a strainer, salt it, squeeze it, and let it sit. Zucchini holds a tonne of water and the more you get out now the better they'll turn out

Add your other 4 ingredients when ready and mix it all up

Warm up your oiled pan. You can try forming them into patties first but they're still going to be pretty mushy, I find it's better to drop them like you're making pancakes. Squish them down a little though, you don't want them flat but too thick and they won't cook right

2-3 minutes on each side ought to do it

You can do some bigger ones and serve them as a meal, but I wanted some bonus points so did a Greek spiced no fail chicken alongside it. Also the recipe says to top with sour cream but that's going to be bland, I recommend tzatiki