Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Who would you all cast as the judge in a film? I’ve always pictured him halfway between bald Jeff bridges and apocalypse now marlon Brando

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Proust Malone posted:

Who would you all cast as the judge in a film? I’ve always pictured him halfway between bald Jeff bridges and apocalypse now marlon Brando

Christopher Lloyd

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Proust Malone posted:

Joseph Gatt

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ruddiger posted:

Joseph Gatt

he's got the look down. might have to make him look taller.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

some guy with a deleted profile on reddit posted:

THE PERFECT CAST...

The judge: SHAQ

Glanton: David Carradine

Tobin: Bryan Cranston

The kid: Jay Baruchel

Toadvine: Seth Rogan

David Brown: James Franco

Bathcat: Jon Heder

Black Jackson: Craig Robinson

White Jackson: Bill Burr

Sproule: Jonah Hill

Captain White: Michael Madsen

John McGill: Jack Black

The Mennonite: Matthew McConaughey

The anchorite: Bruce Dern

"When the lambs is lost" guy: Benicio del Toro

lol

Blood Meridian produced by Judd Apatow

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dave Bautista, maybe?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
It is unfilmable. :colbert:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Finally got around to Stella Maris, and found it a painful slog to get through even as short as it was. Alicia is just insufferable as a character and I found very little of what she had to say interesting.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Kull the Conqueror posted:

It is unfilmable. :colbert:
:getin:
WSJ: People have said "Blood Meridian" is unfilmable because of the sheer darkness and violence of the story.

CM: That's all crap. The fact that's it's a bleak and bloody story has nothing to do with whether or not you can put it on the screen. That's not the issue. The issue is it would be very difficult to do and would require someone with a bountiful imagination and a lot of balls. But the payoff could be extraordinary.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
edit: Wrong thread

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 4, 2023

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I think a BM movie would be mediocre because the thing that makes the book magic isn’t the plot, it’s the prose.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Proust Malone posted:

I think a BM movie would be mediocre because the thing that makes the book magic isn’t the plot, it’s the prose.

you could just depict this visually and nothing about it would be terribly notable.

quote:

The crumpled butcherpaper mountains lay in sharp shadowfold under the long blue dusk and in the middle distance the glazed bed of a dry lake lay shimmering like the mare imbrium and herds of deer were moving north in the last of the twilight, harried over the plain by wolves who were themselves the color of the desert floor. Glanton sat his horse and looked long out upon this scene. Sparse on the mesa the dry weeds lashed in the wind like the earth's long echo of lance and spear in old encounters forever unrecorded. All the sky seemed troubled and night came quickly over the evening land and small gray birds flew crying softly after the fled sun. He chucked up the horse. He passed and so passed all into the problematical destruction of darkness.

there are passages in there that i feel i could almost recite from memory after the first time i read them, but if you depicted them on screen it wouldn't amount to much.

some of action heavy scenes might work. i would like, errr like maybe is not the right word, but i would be interested to see the Legion of Horribles scene. Death Hilarious. or the kid vs judge fight.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Proust Malone posted:

:hmmyes: The only way the prose would translate to the screen would be through one hell of a cinematographer. Roger Deakins could probably pull it off (or the guy who did Valhalla Rising, which has that same BM "violence as the story of man" theme)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It should start with the last scene from the book and have a voiceover by the kid "You might be wondering how I got myself in this here situation..."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ruddiger posted:

It should start with the last scene from the book and have a voiceover by the kid "You might be wondering how I got myself in this here situation..."

lmao

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Bear gets shot *record scratch*

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:lol:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Hell there are plenty of great films that have conjured the poetry of the desert frontier.

I think the bigger issue is that it would be harder for the violence to not feel like a ‘have your cake and eat it too’ situation that betrays the story’s intention. Writing about slaughter of Indians and depicting it cinematically are so, so different. The latter feels much more exploitative in a manner that strikes me as antiquated and obsolete.

McCarthy is right, somebody could probably pull it off but they’d have to be a world class auteur.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In no country, It always blows my little mind that Tommy Lee's opening monologue isn't word for word from the book, it's got part of the opening chapter and maybe from memory a later one but it works so well.

Always a strange difference is the book says he sent someone to the gas chamber and the film says 'lectric chair.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I worked at a video store from 2009-2012 and I will always remember the time when a 50-something spent about half an hour explaining to me that No Country was all a dream and that none of it really happened, and I had to just nod politely rather than calling him an idiot.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I finished Stella Maris last night and it was fine and definitely had some really interesting parts and maybe needs to sit for a minute but wanted to say the passage about suicide by drowning was beautiful and dark and terrifying

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I finished Stella Maris last night and it was fine and definitely had some really interesting parts and maybe needs to sit for a minute but wanted to say the passage about suicide by drowning was beautiful and dark and terrifying

yeah that has stayed with me as well. best/worst part

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah that has stayed with me as well. best/worst part

Some amount of it went over my head which I doubt I’m alone in, but even then the more it sits with me the more I appreciate it. A very sad book. I was more positive on the passenger than a lot of posters but I think I enjoyed this better. I can see why it was carved into its own smaller work rather than worked into the narrative of the passenger. Very sad in general but the ending especially really worked

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Some amount of it went over my head which I doubt I’m alone in, but even then the more it sits with me the more I appreciate it. A very sad book. I was more positive on the passenger than a lot of posters but I think I enjoyed this better. I can see why it was carved into its own smaller work rather than worked into the narrative of the passenger. Very sad in general but the ending especially really worked

i think most went over my head, but its still there

my high school level thought is that the titular passenger was not on the plane or the beach or the platform, they was just in life. or death. a traveller, a passenger, same thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itb1IFy0PP4&t=102s

oh also my god i hate that avatar

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

anyway theres no one better at writing dialogue i think, so stella maris was imo the better book. i see them before me

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

i think most went over my head, but its still there

my high school level thought is that the titular passenger was not on the plane or the beach or the platform, they was just in life. or death. a traveller, a passenger, same thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itb1IFy0PP4&t=102s

oh also my god i hate that avatar

Yeah I agree. The passenger is just Bobby who is an amazingly passive protagonist for a McCarthy novel.

I think you hit the nail on the head though re: Stella maris being the better of the two. The conversations really flowed even when they went over my head, and I appreciated the times either the therapist would interject with confusion or she would remark that he appeared confused, often at places I was getting lost myself

It’s okay to hate vaudeville Ben Shapiro, he almost certainly hates you too (and me, and nearly everyone else who posts on this website…)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Also it just occurred to me that the cover art is quite possibly inspired by the specific passage we’re discussing

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah I agree. The passenger is just Bobby who is an amazingly passive protagonist for a McCarthy novel.

Is he any more passive than Suttree though? I wouldn’t say they’re much different, maybe only by degrees

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Cormac has a type

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1652006112906866689

The director could play the Judge as well.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thats a pretty good choice. The Proposition had echoes of Blood Meridian, and obviously he also did The Road adaptation which was imo excellent.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I once made the heinous mistake of tripping balls and watching Valhalla Rising. I may have to repeat that mistake.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also lolling at imagining a Refn adaptation of BM. i assume Eason means cinematography, what with nature and such, im just loving my brain giving me visuals of the judge pissing in neon colors and deep house like a balenciaga ai meme

anyway tried watching valhalla rising one time and was bored out of my mind, but then i tried again another time and loving loved it. im like that a lot with Refn's more recent stuff. gotta be in the right mood, otherwise the weird meditative set piece stuff becomes a slog

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I guarantee this movie never comes out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jewmanji posted:

I guarantee this movie never comes out.

oh for sure, i give odds 50:1 (no bets higher than a cent tia, im not made of money)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Carthag Tuek posted:

also lolling at imagining a Refn adaptation of BM. i assume Eason means cinematography, what with nature and such, im just loving my brain giving me visuals of the judge pissing in neon colors and deep house like a balenciaga ai meme

lol. yeah the cinematography for sure, but BM and VR share a lot of themes (the inhumane but human love of violence and conquest; the erosion of the band's/the gang's sense of self by both themselves and the land they're trying to dominate; the sublimation, though different in context, of the boy/the kid to One-Eye/the Judge) and VR did a pretty great job of capturing my sense of the BM vibe. Refn wouldn't have been a bad pick at all to direct, but Hillcoat didn't do too bad with The Road.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 28, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Eason the Fifth posted:

lol. yeah the cinematography for sure, but BM and VR share a lot of themes (the inhumane but human love of violence and conquest; the erosion of the band's/the gang's sense of self by both themselves and the land they're trying to dominate; the sublimation, though different in context, of the boy/the kid to One-Eye/the Judge) and VR did a pretty great job of capturing my sense of the BM vibe. Refn wouldn't have been a bad pick at all to direct, but Hillcoat didn't do too bad with The Road.

Yeah there are definitely a lot of shared themes there, more than i thought at first!

have you seen The Proposition? its got a lot of that desolate frontier brutality

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you have to cast a big tall dude as the judge or else you have to do some movie trickery to size him up. his size is a major part of his awful presence. here's one of my favorite passages. also contains the phrase "complete at every hour" which kicked my rear end with how evocative it is for such a simple statement. "He'd long forsworn all weighing of
consequence" good god. also does the thing where Cormac drops one of his long run-on sentences on you and then punctuates it with a one liner. "Oh my god, said the sergeant."

quote:

He watched the fire and if he saw portents there it was much the same to him.
He would live to look upon the western sea and he was equal to whatever might follow
for he was complete at every hour. Whether his history should run concomitant with
men and nations, whether it should cease. He'd long forsworn all weighing of
consequence and allowing as he did that men's destinies are given yet he usurped to
contain within him all that he would ever be in the world and all that the world would
be to him and be his charter written in the urstone itself he claimed agency and said so
and he'd drive the remorseless sun on to its final endarkenment as if he'd ordered it all
ages since, before there were paths anywhere, before there were men or suns to go upon
them.

Across from him sat the vast abhorrence of the judge

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
By the way, Blood Meridian is only $2 on Kindle today if you want a digital copy of it that you can read on your phone
https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Meridian-Evening-Redness-International-ebook/dp/B003XT60E0/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

here's one of my favorite passages. also contains the phrase "complete at every hour" which kicked my rear end with how evocative it is for such a simple statement. "He'd long forsworn all weighing of
consequence" good god. also does the thing where Cormac drops one of his long run-on sentences on you and then punctuates it with a one liner. "Oh my god, said the sergeant."

This is gonna be such an awesome thing to see on screen :rolleyes: