Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jewmanji posted:

This is gonna be such an awesome thing to see on screen :rolleyes:

the narration in the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford* was fantastic, so it can definitely work with selected passages like that

* coincidentally(?) also weirdly archaic like bm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1652020736389726235?s=20

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

be a shame to lose that hair.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

"Endarkenment"? Hmm, I never heard that word before I read McCarthy.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
My favorite recurring McCarthyisms are discalced and mendicant.

If they appear together… :vince:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
" When they set out in the dawn the headless man was sitting like a murdered anchorite discalced in
ashes and sark." :yeshaha:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Carthag Tuek posted:

have you seen The Proposition? its got a lot of that desolate frontier brutality

I haven't but it sure sounds like I should. :tipshat:

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

word is that mccarthy is writing the blood meridian script. :o

this somewhat changes my outlook.

e: source https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/6/tbqx1qxmd5ulqxhzegp2k7bocqchvp

Flutch fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 4, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

wat

nonono do not try to film this book

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Bilirubin posted:

wat

nonono do not try to film this book
I agree, but gently caress it, if McCarthy is doing it, I'll watch it and be happy about it. If we get one new sentence from him, that can justify the lovely film.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I mean, if you'd forced me to pick a director and a screenwriter, that's the combo I'd have gone with anyway (or Nick Cave if McCarthy was disqualified), so I'm not upset about it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Flutch posted:

word is that mccarthy is writing the blood meridian script. :o

this somewhat changes my outlook.

e: source https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/6/tbqx1qxmd5ulqxhzegp2k7bocqchvp

Not anymore...

https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/1668699857706532865

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
gently caress

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Found out through uncle steve. What a loss.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1668703893146984452?s=20

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ahh drat.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Ah man this one hurts. I remember picking up blood meridian one day on a lark at a bookstore and getting utterly entranced by the writing. His work (and Stephen King's) were major influences on the stuff I wrote back then and were directly responsible for a positive direction my life ended up going.

To paraphrase that line from Westworld: He didn't die, he just became literature.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The Passenger and Stella Maris felt a bit like a final send-off, a summary of everything he'd said before and wanted to underline, but it also still seemed like he had so much left to write. 89 isn't "gone too soon", but he really is still gone too soon.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
not too long ago i read he was going to try adapting Blood Meridian for film. seems like he still had ambitions. i know unfilmable etc but i would have liked to see what he would have made of it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:rip:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I still can't believe he wrote a film where someone had sex with a car windscreen.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

gently caress. :(

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Fly them. :(

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Ahh man, I just started reading Blood Meridian. RIP to a real one.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I wanted to say something respectful but everything I typed feels like an inadequate tribute to a marvelous writer. So I'm just gonna quote this instead.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

He never sleeps, the judge. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

algebra testes posted:

I still can't believe he wrote a film where someone had sex with a car windscreen.

Something like that... changes a man.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ve been feeling for a couple of weeks like it was time for a re-read of Blood Meridian, followed perhaps by a re-read of the unproduced script by William Monahan (which I liked) and now, I’m positive that it’s time.

:rip: to a real one

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/miragonz/status/1668708463348944896?s=46&t=v69FFc9gmilk6I-vYnAGzw

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/01/cormac-mccarthys-ex-wife-pulled-gun-out-her-vagina-while-arguing-about-aliens/356822/

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

escape artist posted:

I agree, but gently caress it, if McCarthy is doing it, I'll watch it and be happy about it. If we get one new sentence from him, that can justify the lovely film.

So, about that new sentence...

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

escape artist posted:

So, about that new sentence...

Here's hoping that his editor has a collection of his letters or unfinished stuff that they're going to publish posthumously. I'd love to read his drafts.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Proust Malone posted:

Here's hoping that his editor has a collection of his letters or unfinished stuff that they're going to publish posthumously. I'd love to read his drafts.

he donated his previous papers to Texas State University i think. maybe he made plans to send them more posthumously.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
This was probably posted before but a re-post is worth it. I am finally listening to this interview he gave. About halfway through and I don't have much to add but it's fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrUy1Vn2KdI

Here's an article he wrote that is referred to throughout the conversation, for reference

https://nautil.us/the-kekul-problem-236574/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The bat scheme would have worked if he brought them in in much smaller numbers.

I saw something recently that was supposed to be a diary excerpts with entries that read stuff like "dark mood today. Not sure I'll ever work again" and stuff like that and I'm certain I saw it after he died. Was that him?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Milo and POTUS posted:

The bat scheme would have worked if he brought them in in much smaller numbers.

I saw something recently that was supposed to be a diary excerpts with entries that read stuff like "dark mood today. Not sure I'll ever work again" and stuff like that and I'm certain I saw it after he died. Was that him?

no, those were excerpts from wittgenstein's journal

clean ayers act fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 17, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

clean ayers act posted:

that's correct. there are a surprising number of diary entries along those lines, I think at least Kafka and Dickinson.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i was watching the interview with dennis francis and had no idea "the long one" john sheddan was literally just one of mccarthy's friends from his pre-grant days. didn't even change the name

the passenger/stella maris really did feel like he was drawing the curtains on himself. i'm glad they were published before he finally went

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

clean ayers act posted:

Ah nice. Where was it, do you know?

Oxxidation posted:

i was watching the interview with dennis francis and had no idea "the long one" john sheddan was literally just one of mccarthy's friends from his pre-grant days. didn't even change the name

the passenger/stella maris really did feel like he was drawing the curtains on himself. i'm glad they were published before he finally went

Were these the books that were originally supposed to be published 2 years after his death?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
it went viral on twitter. for some reason i have a hard time imagining mccarthy keeping a journal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Slate/status/1669981261689942016

Uh...