Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
kind of feel like i;ve come full circle with McCarthy.

My first encounter with him was The Road back in 2011; i had seen the ad for the movie and then picked up the book on a whim in the student bookstore at my university. the next day was halloween and i was sick as hell. ended up staying up all night reading it while i sweated out a fever.
spent the next few years devouring everything he had written.
Now with this book around halloween time again, it feels poignant.
Can't wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

AcidCat posted:

Honestly I think The Crossing is my favorite of all his books.

same. quotes from that book randomly pop into my head all the time
the ending still wrecks me

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Yeah I love The Crossing the most. Blood Meridian's a great book but it doesn't have Billy Pilgrim's heart.

Gonna be honest, I could not finish The Passenger. The italicized sections felt like a lousy Ken Kesey imitation. More broadly I'd say the whole structure and style felt antiquated in an unfortunate way, which I suppose makes sense for a book written by an 89-year-old hermit.

my understanding of mccarthy's life atm is that he hangs out at the santa fe institute all day and shoots the poo poo with scientists in between writing, so i dont know that hermit applies

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

snoremac posted:

Alice's description of a drowning death hosed with me.

same. having finished both as of yesterday, i am definitely going to have to go back and re read. its pretty clear to me though that this served as the finale to his career(which, obviously given his age). All the major themes from his prior work are there and synthesized.

Before i read these i had happened to read When We Cease to Understand the World, which, besides being an interesting book on its own, really helped a layman like me understand some of the mathematical references

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
gently caress

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Milo and POTUS posted:

The bat scheme would have worked if he brought them in in much smaller numbers.

I saw something recently that was supposed to be a diary excerpts with entries that read stuff like "dark mood today. Not sure I'll ever work again" and stuff like that and I'm certain I saw it after he died. Was that him?

no, those were excerpts from wittgenstein's journal

clean ayers act fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
it went viral on twitter. for some reason i have a hard time imagining mccarthy keeping a journal