Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

Passenger, although I'm saving Stella Maris, as I've spent the past couple months-ish since first finishing The Passenger revisiting all of McCarthy's other work, to better appreciate and contextualize the new ones.

I tried to do this over the last couple months but I honestly couldn’t hang. I couldn’t handle another knife fight description and I think I’m one and done with the road. A friend told me that if I thought the border trilogy was intense then I’d really like outer dark. I had to tap out.

I’ve since cleansed my palette and im fired up for the passenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Not sure if I can’t wait sixteen years to hear an old man tell me a joke I read on fwd:fwd:fwd: guess I’m loving nuts

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

How do you feel about the world being almost 90 Mr McCarthy?

quote:

what really threatens the scofflaw is not the just society but the decaying one. It is here that he finds himself becoming slowly indistinguishable from the citizenry. As for myself again if I cant be decorum’s sworn enemy while savoring its fruits I simply see no place for me at all.

And how do you feel about the post Trump America?

quote:

Without malefactors the world of the righteous is robbed of all meaning.

there are mornings when I wake and see a grayness to the world I think was not in evidence before. A conversation we’ve had. I know. The horrors of the past lose their edge, and in the doing they blind us to a world careening toward a darkness beyond the bitterest speculation.

Mr McCarthy, do you think the two parties can compromise in order to avoid catastrophe or are we headed to a second civil war?

quote:

It’s sure to be interesting. When the onset of universal night is finally acknowledged as irreversible even the coldest cynic will be astonished at the celerity with which every rule and stricture shoring up this creaking edifice is abandoned and every aberrancy embraced.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I get the feeling the author is looking deeply at his own mortality surrounded by physicists on a land haunted by the atom bomb.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

We’re going to find out that Cormac has been holed up at the sante fe institute because he can’t afford rent after all his assets were seized for back child support.

Also his irl sister was a dime.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

The book’s great. What were people disappointed about? Yeah. The chapters with the kid were tedious, but tedious in an intentional dream logic sort of way. Plus I’m a sucker for crude puns and malapropisms. And am I crazy, or is it pretty much explicitly the case that The Kid is Bobby and Alicia’s child?

That was my first guess too. I’m holding out judgement until I finish Stella Maris.

My least favorite thing is I don’t really understand the purpose of each of the supporting characters in New Orleans with whom much of the dialog occurs. They don’t seem distinct enough to make sense. Ill wait though

Also, I know the kid is supposed to be a thalidomide baby but I kept picturing him as:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Do y’all think that he is the missing passenger from the plane wreck?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Proust Malone posted:

Do y’all think that he is the missing passenger from the plane wreck?

So maybe now the passenger is a metaphor for the opening of the cave after the crucifixion. Stella Maris is Mary is Alicia. Bobby on life support is the pieta…

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Flutch posted:

Absolutely same.

The back half of Stella Maris was really great, and it improved my view of The Passenger as well, which I already quite enjoyed.

It took my dense rear end until the extended discussion of the summer of dating Bobby at the end of SM for me to realize what The Kid is a manifestation/symbol of. drat!

What a deeply tragic and pondersome pair of books.

So what do you think the kid is a symbol of?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Who would you all cast as the judge in a film? I’ve always pictured him halfway between bald Jeff bridges and apocalypse now marlon Brando

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I think a BM movie would be mediocre because the thing that makes the book magic isn’t the plot, it’s the prose.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/miragonz/status/1668708463348944896?s=46&t=v69FFc9gmilk6I-vYnAGzw

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/01/cormac-mccarthys-ex-wife-pulled-gun-out-her-vagina-while-arguing-about-aliens/356822/

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

escape artist posted:

So, about that new sentence...

Here's hoping that his editor has a collection of his letters or unfinished stuff that they're going to publish posthumously. I'd love to read his drafts.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Finally got around to Suttree and so far I’m loving it. I’m putting it right behind Blood Meridian.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I think I’m ready for a re-read. Would anyone be interested in a chapter a week type thread discussion?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

snoremac posted:

Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my changsent.

I popped into this thread to share a bit I was thinking of and how the passenger / SM are as autobiographical as suttree imo.

quote:

I think you’ve some idea. I know that you think we’re very different, me and thee. My father was a country storekeeper and yours a fabricator of expensive devices that make a loud noise and vaporize people. But our common history transcends much. I know certain days of your childhood. All but weeping with loneliness. Coming upon a certain book in the library and clutching it to you. Carrying it home. Some perfect place to read it. Under a tree perhaps. Beside a stream. Flawed youths of course. To prefer a world of paper. Rejects. But we know another truth, dont we Squire? And of course it’s true that any number of these books were penned in lieu of burning down the world—which was their author’s true desire. But the real question is are we few the last of a lineage? Will children yet to come harbor a longing for a thing they cannot even name? The legacy of the word is a fragile thing for all its power, but I know where you stand, Squire. I know that there are words spoken by men ages dead that will never leave your heart.

Remembering how the last years of his life were spent with Jeffery Epstein at the Santa Fe Institute, a writer amongst scientists. That books are penned in lieu of burning down the world is a fun contrast to the judge cataloguing creation and expressing that same will to dominate, perhaps also in response to childhood loneliness and rejection.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I picked up no country for old men. I’ve read everything else but this and outer dark. One thing that I see here and especially in the border books (is this a fourth border book?). Is that McCarthy is really good at describing what it’s like to be wounded and bleeding. The numbness, the shock, the progressively more
And more blood, the pain only when you’re doing something particular… i was trying to write a story where the viewpoint character loses a fist fight and I realized I was just copying McCarthy…. Probably not the first dudebro story to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I think there’s an essay to be written somewhere about our boy Cormac’s relationship to cafes. Our detached masculine characters off in the wilderness always seem to find one.