Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I thought The Passenger was pretty indulgent. It seems McCarthy wanted to write about cars, science and...JFK conspiracy? Idk man, I can't begrudge him after all he's given us. In between the semi-random conversations between Western and his buddies, there are many beautiful philosophical passages about death and grief. McCarthy has a way of being a mystery man while also writing deeply personal works.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

hobbez posted:

The Passenger is probably one of the saddest and most direct portrayals of grief, loss, isolation, and the indifference of the universe/god that I've ever read. Being 89, at that point in your life, you have seen like 95% of the most important people to you in life live and die. The universe and life can probably seem like a pretty cold, indifferent place at that point. I think in many ways this what McCarthy is expressing in The Passenger, and I feel a little obligated to oblige the man some indulgence because of that.

Personally, I think the JFK stuff and other derailments are fun. I guess overall I liked The Passenger significantly more than the thread on the whole. If this is C-tier McCarthy I am just so fuckin pumped to get into his S-tier stuff! Blood meridian has sky rocketed up the reading list

You read The Passenger first? poo poo well yeah you're in for a treat then.