Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished The Passenger. Don't know what to think, still digesting it. I liked it, it's not my least favorite of his but nowhere near my favorite.

My thoughts would be In the end it's a book full of red herrings, of threads that aren't pursued about paranoia and delusion and a protagonist who does a whole lot of things but isn't good at any of them, he's a deep sea diver who is afraid of the ocean. Eventually becomes unmoored from society and sort of just drifts away.

I had no problems with the Kid, at the start I thought what the gently caress, but eventually I appreciated it, and the scene after The Shock treatment was funny, also Bobby getting visited by the Kid was good.

A lot of the dialogue was very funny, I'm haunted by "Don't go back there, the sink is so full of dirty dishes you have to go outside to piss."

Boco_T posted:

I really loved Cormac spends 5 pages letting you know how convinced he is about a JFK assassination conspiracy.

This ruled.

edit: My main takeaway from this book is I need to finish Mason & Dixon.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hobbez posted:

I read the road back in college but I can't say it left much of an impression on me.

Sheriff Bell Voice: he's read the same things I have and it sure left an impression on me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In no country, It always blows my little mind that Tommy Lee's opening monologue isn't word for word from the book, it's got part of the opening chapter and maybe from memory a later one but it works so well.

Always a strange difference is the book says he sent someone to the gas chamber and the film says 'lectric chair.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ahh drat.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I still can't believe he wrote a film where someone had sex with a car windscreen.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Reading the book really made me appreciate the film more because of how much so much of the book is just on screen but also the cuts they did make were excellent.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I always assumed She was dead because thematically it makes sense and also he checks his boots for blood. but I can't remember what happens in the book.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jewmanji posted:

Maybe now people will stop making endless internet threads to speculate on who would be the best person to play The Judge.

Anyway. I love The Proposition but I just don't think this movie should ever be made. Leave it be.

Yeah. It's just a better book than a film and an adaptation would require so much editing that it would be something different.

I mean unless they went full Killers and made 3 and a half hours.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finally reading The Crossing.

Have you always been crazy?
I don't know. I never was much put to the test before today.
Hoe old are you?
Sixteen.
Sixteen.
Yessir.
Well you ain't got the sense God gave a goose. Did you know that?
You may be right
How do you expect your horse to tolerate bunch of nonsense such as this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All these cowboys are drinking coffee at night I don't understand how they sleep.

This isn't a bit I literally don't understand.