Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i think one of the only physical descriptors of Glanton is that he's tiny. they had to give Tobin a cross to make that explicit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ruddiger posted:

Joseph Gatt

he's got the look down. might have to make him look taller.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Kull the Conqueror posted:

It is unfilmable. :colbert:
:getin:
WSJ: People have said "Blood Meridian" is unfilmable because of the sheer darkness and violence of the story.

CM: That's all crap. The fact that's it's a bleak and bloody story has nothing to do with whether or not you can put it on the screen. That's not the issue. The issue is it would be very difficult to do and would require someone with a bountiful imagination and a lot of balls. But the payoff could be extraordinary.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Proust Malone posted:

I think a BM movie would be mediocre because the thing that makes the book magic isn’t the plot, it’s the prose.

you could just depict this visually and nothing about it would be terribly notable.

quote:

The crumpled butcherpaper mountains lay in sharp shadowfold under the long blue dusk and in the middle distance the glazed bed of a dry lake lay shimmering like the mare imbrium and herds of deer were moving north in the last of the twilight, harried over the plain by wolves who were themselves the color of the desert floor. Glanton sat his horse and looked long out upon this scene. Sparse on the mesa the dry weeds lashed in the wind like the earth's long echo of lance and spear in old encounters forever unrecorded. All the sky seemed troubled and night came quickly over the evening land and small gray birds flew crying softly after the fled sun. He chucked up the horse. He passed and so passed all into the problematical destruction of darkness.

there are passages in there that i feel i could almost recite from memory after the first time i read them, but if you depicted them on screen it wouldn't amount to much.

some of action heavy scenes might work. i would like, errr like maybe is not the right word, but i would be interested to see the Legion of Horribles scene. Death Hilarious. or the kid vs judge fight.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ruddiger posted:

It should start with the last scene from the book and have a voiceover by the kid "You might be wondering how I got myself in this here situation..."

lmao

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Cormac has a type

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you have to cast a big tall dude as the judge or else you have to do some movie trickery to size him up. his size is a major part of his awful presence. here's one of my favorite passages. also contains the phrase "complete at every hour" which kicked my rear end with how evocative it is for such a simple statement. "He'd long forsworn all weighing of
consequence" good god. also does the thing where Cormac drops one of his long run-on sentences on you and then punctuates it with a one liner. "Oh my god, said the sergeant."

quote:

He watched the fire and if he saw portents there it was much the same to him.
He would live to look upon the western sea and he was equal to whatever might follow
for he was complete at every hour. Whether his history should run concomitant with
men and nations, whether it should cease. He'd long forsworn all weighing of
consequence and allowing as he did that men's destinies are given yet he usurped to
contain within him all that he would ever be in the world and all that the world would
be to him and be his charter written in the urstone itself he claimed agency and said so
and he'd drive the remorseless sun on to its final endarkenment as if he'd ordered it all
ages since, before there were paths anywhere, before there were men or suns to go upon
them.

Across from him sat the vast abhorrence of the judge

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

be a shame to lose that hair.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
" When they set out in the dawn the headless man was sitting like a murdered anchorite discalced in
ashes and sark." :yeshaha:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
not too long ago i read he was going to try adapting Blood Meridian for film. seems like he still had ambitions. i know unfilmable etc but i would have liked to see what he would have made of it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Proust Malone posted:

Here's hoping that his editor has a collection of his letters or unfinished stuff that they're going to publish posthumously. I'd love to read his drafts.

he donated his previous papers to Texas State University i think. maybe he made plans to send them more posthumously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Javier elevates the character. he just is Chigurh. Book Chigurh runs his mouth too much.