Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i dont think i entirely get the passenger yet, but theres some good insights itt.

also i just remembered "the passenger" from the counselor. going from place to place without intent or consent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I finished Stella Maris last night and it was fine and definitely had some really interesting parts and maybe needs to sit for a minute but wanted to say the passage about suicide by drowning was beautiful and dark and terrifying

yeah that has stayed with me as well. best/worst part

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Some amount of it went over my head which I doubt I’m alone in, but even then the more it sits with me the more I appreciate it. A very sad book. I was more positive on the passenger than a lot of posters but I think I enjoyed this better. I can see why it was carved into its own smaller work rather than worked into the narrative of the passenger. Very sad in general but the ending especially really worked

i think most went over my head, but its still there

my high school level thought is that the titular passenger was not on the plane or the beach or the platform, they was just in life. or death. a traveller, a passenger, same thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itb1IFy0PP4&t=102s

oh also my god i hate that avatar

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

anyway theres no one better at writing dialogue i think, so stella maris was imo the better book. i see them before me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thats a pretty good choice. The Proposition had echoes of Blood Meridian, and obviously he also did The Road adaptation which was imo excellent.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also lolling at imagining a Refn adaptation of BM. i assume Eason means cinematography, what with nature and such, im just loving my brain giving me visuals of the judge pissing in neon colors and deep house like a balenciaga ai meme

anyway tried watching valhalla rising one time and was bored out of my mind, but then i tried again another time and loving loved it. im like that a lot with Refn's more recent stuff. gotta be in the right mood, otherwise the weird meditative set piece stuff becomes a slog

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jewmanji posted:

I guarantee this movie never comes out.

oh for sure, i give odds 50:1 (no bets higher than a cent tia, im not made of money)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Eason the Fifth posted:

lol. yeah the cinematography for sure, but BM and VR share a lot of themes (the inhumane but human love of violence and conquest; the erosion of the band's/the gang's sense of self by both themselves and the land they're trying to dominate; the sublimation, though different in context, of the boy/the kid to One-Eye/the Judge) and VR did a pretty great job of capturing my sense of the BM vibe. Refn wouldn't have been a bad pick at all to direct, but Hillcoat didn't do too bad with The Road.

Yeah there are definitely a lot of shared themes there, more than i thought at first!

have you seen The Proposition? its got a lot of that desolate frontier brutality

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jewmanji posted:

This is gonna be such an awesome thing to see on screen :rolleyes:

the narration in the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford* was fantastic, so it can definitely work with selected passages like that

* coincidentally(?) also weirdly archaic like bm

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:rip:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Red Crown posted:

And a subtlety I might be misreading: Given the section on quantum physics, I'm assuming Alicia and Bobby are named for 'Alice' and 'Bob', the two "observers" used to elaborate on communications problems like cryptography, and especially in quantum communications. That joke would be a bit anachronistic, but there are some other anachronisms: The Kid makes a "Don't call me Shirley" joke, which would have been in theaters in 1980 - well after Alicia was already dead.

everything about the kid is anachronistic. his clothes, his companions, his language. he seemed out of time to me, not an eternal figure but just beside time. next to it.

also fwiw i thought A/B like particles, not crypto

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

shifts the needle a bit between chigurch being a force of nature vs an evil rear end in a top hat

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im ok with it. hillcoat is a good choice but if it sucks i just wont watch it. cant ruin my idea of the book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Proust Malone posted:

I think there’s an essay to be written somewhere about our boy Cormac’s relationship to cafes. Our detached masculine characters off in the wilderness always seem to find one.

ive never thought about it, but yeah they do hang out in cafes a lot