Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Yeah I love The Crossing the most. Blood Meridian's a great book but it doesn't have Billy Pilgrim's heart.

Gonna be honest, I could not finish The Passenger. The italicized sections felt like a lousy Ken Kesey imitation. More broadly I'd say the whole structure and style felt antiquated in an unfortunate way, which I suppose makes sense for a book written by an 89-year-old hermit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

clean ayers act posted:

my understanding of mccarthy's life atm is that he hangs out at the santa fe institute all day and shoots the poo poo with scientists in between writing, so i dont know that hermit applies

Lets say monastic then

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
It is unfilmable. :colbert:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Hell there are plenty of great films that have conjured the poetry of the desert frontier.

I think the bigger issue is that it would be harder for the violence to not feel like a ‘have your cake and eat it too’ situation that betrays the story’s intention. Writing about slaughter of Indians and depicting it cinematically are so, so different. The latter feels much more exploitative in a manner that strikes me as antiquated and obsolete.

McCarthy is right, somebody could probably pull it off but they’d have to be a world class auteur.