Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mob Psycho 100 is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by One. The third and final season of the anime adaptation by Studio BONES will continue to follow Shigeo Kageyama aka Mob, a middle school boy who has extraordinary esper powers, as he lives his everyday life, going to school, participating in the body improvement club, going to his part-time job as an assistant for the self proclaimed greatest psychic Reigen Arataka, and pondering what he will do with his life in the looming future.

Season 3 trailer

Please use spoiler tags for anything that hasn't happened in the anime yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

first

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Where are all the psycho mobs

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

ah mobbu

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Very excited for the actual arcs of this season to start.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm glad that Serizawa has joined the supporting cast, I'm rooting for him.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Oh yeah, if you didn't see it there's an OVA episode that takes place after season 2, very fun.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Oh god this episode. I was once in this very position. I was a fool. It was powerful damage reading it, but seeing it animated hits even harder. :negative:

e: oh yeah, this arc is loving excellent

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 19, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lord Psycho Helmet looks properly creepy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/sigmacatdilemma/status/1582823304830025731

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lord Psycho Helmet looks properly creepy.

I really like both the visual and audio for him. I can't wait to see the rest of the season play out.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
This is a very :gonk: episode for multiple reasons.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

On a high horse 100%

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I love anime piracy sites with comment sections because they are invariably full of 12 year olds saying stuff like "Mob acted like such a chad today even though he was a simp". Really brightens my day

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
loving insane episode today. Best of the season so far and possibly one of the best of the show. Was not expecting them to do a brainwashing / body snatchers thing but god drat am I loving it. Managed to toe the comedy/horror line more effectively than anything else in the series so far. Kind of feels like a waste of potential revealing that Psycho Helmet is Dimple like that, he becomes a lot less threatening with that in mind. Is this gonna be the rest of the season? Or is it just a warmup for whatever big bad comes next? Also LOL at that OP title in retrospect

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Direction in the episode was perfect, especially the end.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Well, that was upsetting. However, I am very excited to see Mob vs. Dimple Round II. I'm certain Mob is going to make Dimple give up on his ambitions, but he won't go down easy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I felt like they softened the horror arc last season a tad too much. They loving nailed this one. That first half was also movie-like, holy poo poo.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
I was a bit worried about the change in director this season, but so far it's been a fantastic adaptation as usual.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The immediacy with which the brainwashing happens is so loving unsettling.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

mutantIke posted:

Kind of feels like a waste of potential revealing that Psycho Helmet is Dimple like that

I don't think this was much of a revelation, it's pretty well broadcasted in the preceding episodes and is totally in character for him.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I mean it’s also the same voice actor and he sounds identical

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

TriffTshngo posted:

The immediacy with which the brainwashing happens is so loving unsettling.

Makes sense, brainwashing would be pretty exponential now that I think about it. Kind of like zombies.

Amstrad posted:

I don't think this was much of a revelation, it's pretty well broadcasted in the preceding episodes and is totally in character for him.

Maybe I'm just stupid.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
drat they pulled out all the stops on animation this episode

and reigen's survival instincts remain just top notch. too bad it couldn't see him all the way through to the end

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Absolutely phenomenal run so far that reminds me of Season 1, except I can't remember all these bit characters from Season 2 that keep showing up.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Yeah I can’t remember any of them. Even serizawa.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Serizawa is the GOAT honestly. Love his business card sword

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I finally caught up and while I don't really know where it's going I believe in Dimple. I don't think he's dumb enough to think he can beat Mob even in this state and I also don't think he's scummy enough anymore to do something like this without some kind of twist. He's legitimately saved Mob plenty of times by this point, when it would have been easy to screw him over.

I get the impression he's doing this to force Mob to step up and get recognition for his achievements, seeing as he purposefully let everyone know Mob was the true founder at the end of the episode. Or he's trying to teach Mob some kind of lesson maybe.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Tabletops posted:

I also don't remember Serizawa and feel ashamed for it. I remember the entire Season 1 cast though. I guess it's not just me; they probably rapid fired a lot of these characters in Season 2 and the time gap between seasons was harsh.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Tabletops posted:

I bought the season 2 blu ray over the weekend specifically to help me remember who this nerd is.

That and the battle cry during the last fight.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 1, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

To be fair Serizawa looks completely different from when we first see him.

Also finally caught up and it feels like they're firing on all cylinders for this season and I couldn't be happier. The yokai designs in episode 2 were killer.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Was wondering where episode 5 would end, great stopping point :allears:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So I guess I underestimated how delusional Dimple is right now. My impression is still that Dimple has changed and I think Mob is right that his heart isn't truly in this but he just can't resist it when his dream is so close. Mob belittling his dream a few eps back just pushed him over the edge. He even admits that he has no clue why he wants to be a god or what he'd do when he became one, it's just something he's clinging on to. But you can see that he's shocked and alarmed when he thinks he might have really hurt Mob, it's all a giant bluff and trying to convince himself that he can change Mob's mind and it'll just work out.

Also he doesn't get to call Mob's shirt lame when his 'true form' is loving gaudy as hell.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Considering how serious most of this episode is, the few comic beats (especially that last line) really cracked me up. Easy to see why manga readers were so excited for this arc, it really is like nothing the show's done before.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

Nephthys posted:

But you can see that he's shocked and alarmed when he thinks he might have really hurt Mob, it's all a giant bluff and trying to convince himself that he can change Mob's mind and it'll just work out.

Also he doesn't get to call Mob's shirt lame when his 'true form' is loving gaudy as hell.

I didn't think it was possible, but that ending has even more "you done hosed up, son" energy than the first duel in Gundam: Witch from Mercury.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
This episode ruled. This season rules. I love this show.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

love mob

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Akio Otsuka was especially good this episode.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

the most important panels and they nailed them, they nailed them!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The ending caught me so off guard, completely forgot about that moment from the manga.