Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

My memory of this season's content in the manga is very hazy so it's nice to be surprised again by moments like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I thought Mob was going to experience 100% disappointment, but now it's looking more like he'll be 100% embarrassed.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

I thought Mob was going to experience 100% disappointment, but now it's looking more like he'll be 100% embarrassed.

It's gonna be 100% Stylin , Dimple is just behind the curve on what's fashionable these days.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I guess one could say he's about to go ape

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Hanazawa got Mob the shirt to sabotage him

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Very interested in how this resolves. Already kind of feels like a finale, but presumably there are plenty more episodes after this.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sankara posted:

Very interested in how this resolves. Already kind of feels like a finale, but presumably there are plenty more episodes after this.

Yep a whole nother arc and possibly some omake side story stuff

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
RIP KING
Honestly thought Dimple was gonna go out like Gollum but I'm glad they went for the cornier heroic self-sacrifice thing. Seriously wonder what the show has up its sleeve for the next half of the season. Is Mob gonna go through a Spider-Man 2 thing?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
RIP Dimple, you were a real one. :cry:

Incredibly job punching up the manga's action, as usual

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's a show about growing up, so the final two challenges are suitably personal: How the world sees you, and how you see yourself.

The first one is much, much easier to deal with.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Great episode, Dimple is so cool, you really gotta... hand it to him :)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

never thought I'd be legitimately sad about Dimple. rip

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Dimple, MVP

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Holy poo poo at the animation this episode.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Felt a hole in my chest. This rules.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Electric Phantasm posted:

Holy poo poo at the animation this episode.

Absolutely wild

Between this and chainsaw man and mha and even gundam the animation quality this season in general is insane

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tabletops posted:

Absolutely wild

Between this and chainsaw man and mha and even gundam the animation quality this season in general is insane

Not just insane, but insane in different ways.

MHA is "standard shonen" done well. Most of the best animated scenes are fights, there's a lot of static shots, and in general, it's nothing unique. I don't mean that as an insult, although I might have made it sound worse by accident. Solid, dependable competence is great, and the ratings for MHA are rising in response to remarkable heights for a modern seasonal anime. It's just that it's being compared to crazy stuff.

Gundam: Witch from Mercury is being done by Sunrise Studio 1, their usual OVA and movie team. They haven't had a weekly TV show since 2014's Reconguista in G, and it shows in both good ways and bad. Sure, the production is, by all accounts I've seen, having major difficulties. But it also means that a lot of the usual cheats don't show up nearly as much as you'd expect with those issues. The show's mechanical detail is high end, and some of the fights are outright amazing. Plus, it's one of the last shows with traditional hand drawn mecha, and that's always a treat.

Chainsaw Man could have been like Mob or its inspiration FLCL, going absolutely bonkers on creative, weird shots, but the director went in a different direction. Instead, Chainsaw Man is almost a live action movie when it's not going all out with fights, with grounded, realistic character animation showing off some of the best in the industry, competing with high end movies in its quiet moments.

If you want to see a depressed early 20-something try to have his morning coffee and smoke before the roommate from hell destroys his composure, then Chainsaw Man does it better than anyone else on tv.

And then, of course, there's Mob. As always, Mob is as far from grounded as you tend to get with these things, using over-the-top animation to convey emotional reality, and using sketchy art to make something amazing.

It's not just a good looking season (Bocchi and DiY have also been getting some buzz there, although I can't speak from firsthand experience) but a season that has good looking anime for a wide variety of tastes.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I've never done a complete 180 on a character before so fast in my life. Mob was right; Dimple was the only one willing to be honest with him instead of worrying about hurting his feelings. He was Mob's true friend.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You say that, but Teru probably 100% thought it was a good looking shirt

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I also feel like we're seeing more high quality action shows in general. Has something happened in the anime industry? Did it grow enough so more money could be put into projects or did the animators get better terms or something? Or is it something like the fact that we're finally seeing good use of CGI so it makes life easier for animators?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Figures that this would be the thing to equal or surpass the high mark moment of last season with the head of the Body Improvement Club towards the end.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

chiasaur11 posted:

Not just insane, but insane in different ways.

And then, of course, there's Mob. As always, Mob is as far from grounded as you tend to get with these things, using over-the-top animation to convey emotional reality, and using sketchy art to make something amazing.

one of the things i love about mobs production in every season is both how often, and how much creative freedom they give their guest animators. it doesn't matter if the animation style is dramatically different from the last scene or the scene following, they let them do what they want how they want for whatever scene and it's always a treat. reminds me of shinsekai yori which also let guest animators just go loving wild, sometimes in entire episode direction.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Fangz posted:

He canonically does, I believe.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

skaianDestiny posted:

He canonically does, I believe.

You are correct.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Fangz posted:

As soon as Mob asked him I started shrieking. His taste has always been awful.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm pretty sure he never thought there was anything wrong with the wig he wore for a while, so that should inform you of his taste.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Zzulu posted:

I also feel like we're seeing more high quality action shows in general. Has something happened in the anime industry? Did it grow enough so more money could be put into projects or did the animators get better terms or something? Or is it something like the fact that we're finally seeing good use of CGI so it makes life easier for animators?

the industry in general is still struggling due to too many shows and not enough animators. what you're seeing is probably more of a polarization effect where the best animators are increasingly congregating around the same handful of projects. the top 10% of productions look better than ever but the more average stuff is getting rougher.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Tales of Woe posted:

the industry in general is still struggling due to too many shows and not enough animators. what you're seeing is probably more of a polarization effect where the best animators are increasingly congregating around the same handful of projects. the top 10% of productions look better than ever but the more average stuff is getting rougher.

Yeah, in an industry that's overworked, underpaid and with basically no rights, the field being so massive means the only good thing going is that animators can be picky on their project, so somewhat with any influence getting into a really cool project can just ring up their buddies to do something really cool. Meanwhile, like, Way of the Househusband is left with like six people or something.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

IIRC Way of the House Husband had one person and they weren't even an animator.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Yeah, the show had as much animation as a powerpoint lol

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
anime and manga are the only genre where beating up a broccoli is able to make me cry

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Okay but Dimple is going to anticlimactically show up in a later episode as a gag, right?

Right?

Goddamn, that was an incredible episode.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Dimple's been dead the entire time.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Been waiting 6 years to see this arc get animated, and I'm not disappointed at all. A bit of dialogue I like from the manga didn't make it in, but other than that it's pretty much perfect.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Unit24 posted:

Been waiting 6 years to see this arc get animated, and I'm not disappointed at all. A bit of dialogue I like from the manga didn't make it in, but other than that it's pretty much perfect.

What dialogue got cut?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
MOB: I am Mob Psycho 100

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Kild posted:

What dialogue got cut?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Mob/Dimple friend speech really got me. IMO, one of the top 3 episodes in the series.

My SO got got by Reigen is a good guy in s2.
And 1000% Reigen is my fav scene in any piece of media ever.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
reading through this arc in the manga was a really disjointed experience, with pages coming out in dribs and drabs (my suspicion is that one was really thinking very hard about every panel), so seeing it all at once feels very fresh

absolutely top notch animation too.

Tales of Woe posted:

i could believe this. the lucifer and the biscuit hammer anime last season was laughably bad when it came to animation, to the point were i had to stop watching it. it does feel like something that in years past would have just been a mediocre effort rather than tragic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
dimples VA is absurdly good. the screams of frustration as he's battling the broccoli men...