Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Unit24 posted:

some moments I like didn't get animated with as much love as I had hoped.

This feeling continues to make me feel like an insane glutton. The last few episodes have been really good, but I've had 5 years to fantasize about what this part of the story would look like animated, and season 2 raised the bar so high with its consistently amazing visuals. So I'm looking at the still really good animation while thinking "come on man this is the end of mob psycho it should look like the best thing ever, tell me you didn't save all the best talent for episodes 6 and 8 come on bro where's the good poo poo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Caught up with S3, exited for the last chapter to drop! This season didn't feel as 'rich' as the others is the best way I can put it, still really enjoyed it but it felt like it tried to take its time and create deeper character moments when earlier seasons did the same thing with less chapters, basically. The aliens were cool but the whole thing could have easily been one chapter and first half of S2 felt like each chapter was just that, a cool short story with good character moments delivered decisively.
I really dig that Mob's big going-nuts moment isn't due to some epic fight but just an ordinary concussion/trauma. Also really loved Claw boss' decision to just step away and choose his family over esper battles.

EDIT: Also my final hot take on S2's final chapters with the claw poo poo: It sucked and added basically nothing to any relevant character's growth, but the battles were cool and wow they sure animated the poo poo out of it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

MOB
MOB

WHAT DO YOU WANT

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Thank goodness for insurance

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That feeling when the OP kicks in...

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

That was an excellent ending!

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
wonderful finale. i knew it was coming, but nothing can beat mob when it comes to a 'resolve horrific doomsday event with simple and earnest advice' story arc. heck i even knew what reigen was going to say this time and i still didn't figure out how it was going to solve mob's crisis.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
also nothing will top mob's laugh at the end in terms of feel good moments this episode, but i was almost as happy to find out where tome ends up

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Goddamn, Reigen and Tsubomi are built different. Not sure what else to say other than I had a big old smile on my face by the end of the show. What a beautiful note to end on.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Real talk though I didn't really get the random upskirts at the end or why Ritsu was thinking about Teru's marge wig

Felt really random and super out of place and I don't remember anything like that in the web series

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

perfect finale, loved it

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
And now that it's over, my favorite little touch of the web comic. The chapters aren't always entirely straight progression. Sometimes a chapter is divided into parts. So the entire final bit of the story takes place in chapter 100, but it'd be like 100.1, .2, and so forth. Why do it that way? Well it's because of the totally obvious and best way to end the story:

You end it on chapter 101. How else would you end a story about a teenager coming to grips with who he is and learning to be himself, but ending on him moving on...just a little bit.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Knew what was coming but the whole thing still hit me really hard. Gonna miss seein' Mob grow into his own (even though thats exactly why the show is over because he's finally learned how to.)

Always been a fan of OPM but I feel like ONE really hit his stride in regards to storytelling with Mob. I tend to like my anime short and sweet and Mob hit that perfectly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Mob Psycho 100 :unsmith:

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
What a beautiful ending :gbsmith:

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Tales of Woe posted:

perfect finale, loved it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well now what do we do with our lives?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Your life is your own

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wait for the reigen spinoff OVA

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Real talk though I didn't really get the random upskirts at the end or why Ritsu was thinking about Teru's marge wig

Felt really random and super out of place and I don't remember anything like that in the web series

Yeah that really soured me on a really great episode lol, shame.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's a callback to the first time they met Teru

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ending the series on Mob just wholeheartedly laughing was a great way to do it.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I'm bummed that the series is over, but having three pretty unimpeachable seasons then going out on top is a good way to do it

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

What a lovely show.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Probably my favorite anime of all time. I will miss it dearly but I'm happy with the whole thing.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
Started watching with my partner the other week, been meaning to check this one out for a while! I’m not as much of an anime-watcher as she is, but I’d heard good things about the animation and was intrigued.

Definitely wasn’t let down in that department, there are some SPECTACULAR sequences (especially in the last few eps of the last season), and I love the unique visual style. The night we started watching, we ended up binging the entire first season in one sitting lol. The show has quickly become a big favourite of mine, and I’m now reading through the manga.

I will admit that things felt like they started to drag a little bit whenever the Claw stuff came up. A lot of new characters would get introduced, and I’d struggle to keep track of them, but it didn’t really affect my enjoyment of the show too much.

My favourite character is def Reigen lol, I love that he’s simultaneously charming and charismatic but also the most pathetic man ever. Whenever he isn’t on screen, the other characters should be asking, “Where’s Reigen?”

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Oh, also some official fanbook translations have started to make their way online!

https://twitter.com/NOTteawithbread/status/1593500826957479937?t=cSftFsSK-LL3AtS6PglfuQ&s=19
Some personal highlights:
  • Reigen has a sister and only sees his family once a year. They all think he's shady as hell
  • Shou has two hamsters
  • The security guard Dimple possessed in S1 is named Yoshioka Mamoru
  • Teru thinks it would be cool to be a teacher
  • Teru doesn't think he has any outstanding flaws, but wouldn't it be a shame if he had a bad fashion sense
  • Dimple likes beer and peanuts
  • Mob and Ritsu can't play fighting games because Mob always apologizes for hitting him
  • Shou has friends at school, but he thinks of Ritsu as his best friend
  • Reigen re: Mob: "I raised that kid!" :3:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm no anime expert but Mob Psycho 100 seems to be one of the short list greatest anime of all time.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Its one of the best adaptions for sure

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My sister and I are still cackling about how a grown man took a group of middle schoolers up into the woods and "only lost one of them."

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Waltzing Along posted:

Well now what do we do with our lives?

Body improvement. Fight on!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Big Leg posted:

also nothing will top mob's laugh at the end in terms of feel good moments this episode, but i was almost as happy to find out where tome ends up

reigen finally getting a birthday party as well

Dongicus posted:

Yeah that really soured me on a really great episode lol, shame.

its really bizarre but also its also like .1s long

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The junk collector posted:

Body improvement. Fight on!

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Butt Detective posted:

My favourite character is def Reigen lol, I love that he’s simultaneously charming and charismatic but also the most pathetic man ever. Whenever he isn’t on screen, the other characters should be asking, “Where’s Reigen?”

Reigen is just about everyone's favorite character, I'd wager. He's such a delightfully complex mixture of good and bad qualities, and it just resonates so authentically with the audience. He's a slacker, he lies flagrantly and profligately, he's irresponsible and careless, but on the other hand he knows he's doing some genuine good for at least some of his clientele (doing PT for the sort of person who'd visit a spiritualist over a doctor every time) and it makes him feel good to be good at it, and he recognizes that with Mob he has a chance to "raise" someone right to avoid his mistakes (even if he sometimes ends up dragging Mob down into the muck), and feels a duty to give him good advice. He's loyal to Mob and his friends, and even braves danger because of them (even if it's because sometimes he has completely failed to recognize the threat).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Personally I think he's a massive piece of poo poo, but it's important that he's a massive piece of poo poo, because the ending only works if he is legitimately not a great person. Trickster with a heart of gold isn't on the same level as "unchecked id that could destroy the world" as far as character flaws go. Legitimately terrible swindler that learns to be a better person? Has a dark side that can speak to Mob honestly.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I 1000% agree with both of you.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Finally got to watch the last episode.

Man...

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Reigen is a pretty cool guy. Eh exercises spirits and doesn't afraid of anything

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I took such a shining to Reigen that I made him out of felt! :v:

Please excuse my messy stitching and the inaccurate colours, turns out it’s surprisingly difficult to find orange felt that isn’t the colour of a high vis jacket, so I had to make do with what I could get.

This shade wasn’t even listed as orange, it was listed as gold (it is not gold)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Butt Detective posted:

Please excuse my messy stitching and the inaccurate colours

Excuse nothing this is great.