Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

killer crane posted:

There were scenes of horror in Schindler's list. There were scenes of horror in this. Did you just want horror tropes? Did you just want a chainsaw maniac ghost?

Oh poo poo I used that as a bad example and thought no one would possibly think that but here we are holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I enjoy all AHS, the cheesy and the dramatic. This season has been great, yeah it's not a haunted gimp suit but to me it's worse because it's so realistic and tragic. It's important to tell stories about how aids destroyed a generation of people.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Just watched episode 9: Cannot believe how much they're leaning into the Charles Dickens Christmas Carol angle.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

"How would Ryan Murphy do Angels in America?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As it happens: very hornily

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
do an american horror story but have it center on Epstein's island.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

So, is anyone going to make a thread for the new season? Starring everyone's favorite actors, Kim Kardashian and Bruno Mars!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wasn’t going to, since we’ve fallen off the show. Anyone else, feel free to!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The real American horror is Kim Kardashian's face.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That butthole lip liner isn't coming back, Kim.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Octy posted:

The real American horror is Kim Kardashian's face.

She's surprisingly not that bad in her role though. Helps they basically wrote it to let her be how she bes, but when I saw her attached I expected worse.

This season so far is very tense. Nothing spooky but I'm very stressed for Anna.

My guess is shady husband and Kim k are up to some weird Hollywood cult poo poo? If nothing else I don't like or trust them so I won't be sad if her demon baby eats them or whatever.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

This season so far is very tense. Nothing spooky but I'm very stressed for Anna.

Yeah, it's been surprisingly tense, though every time they cut away to Julie White or Demon & Gabana Baby I laugh very very hard. And the glam playboy bunny witches.

Matt Czurchy is very creepy in this as the husband. All his reactions are really off.

Also I was such a lame brain that my friend had to explain what that final scene was implying about the dead animal. I'm not used to subtlety in my American Horror Story.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Is American Horror Stories (plural) still a thing?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, four episodes at the end of this month.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, it's been surprisingly tense, though every time they cut away to Julie White or Demon & Gabana Baby I laugh very very hard. And the glam playboy bunny witches.

Matt Czurchy is very creepy in this as the husband. All his reactions are really off.

Also I was such a lame brain that my friend had to explain what that final scene was implying about the dead animal. I'm not used to subtlety in my American Horror Story.

Dead animal at the end? I might've missed it, I got briefly distracted googling something. I remember a brief flash of that dead baby bird she saw as like an omen or foreshadowing of her situation at one point. Obviously a bird is an animal I am just checking if there was an additional creature

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Khanstant posted:

She's surprisingly not that bad in her role though. Helps they basically wrote it to let her be how she bes, but when I saw her attached I expected worse.

My guess is shady husband and Kim k are up to some weird Hollywood cult poo poo? If nothing else I don't like or trust them so I won't be sad if her demon baby eats them or whatever.

Kim K is doing perfectly fine. She can't deliver her lines that great but she's not a travesty. Cara Develigne wasn't that bad in her one scene either.

This season is really, really good. The gaslighting is a solid story line. I don't quite buy Emma Roberts but that's because she's not a very good actress. Some of the ancillary characters can't act either but that's to be expected from a Ryan Murphy production. The tone and development of tension is just so good though. I could totally see freaking out about this season if I was pregnant. It's nice seeing Ryan Murphy hit horror that's usually marginalized, like last season's aids epidemic analogue.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was ready to put last season in the skip pile, like the one before it, but I clicked this season and it put me back at the previous and I finished it out. Glad I have it a second chance, I get why I bounced, but I also bounced pretty much right when it got going. I have criticisms but they all pretty much get swept under the rug as "yeah it's this show and you knew that going in."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Khanstant posted:

She's essentially doing an extended impression of her mother.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was initially surprised by how convincing Kardashian was, but then I remembered that half of screen acting is just not being self-conscious when saying things in front of a camera, and she's been doing this for a decade or so now so of course she'd be at least passable.

I do think a more accomplished actor could be doing way more with this role, but you know, whatever, she's decent.

Madurai posted:

She's essentially doing an extended impression of her mother.

Aren't we all

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, gonna call it, I think this season is a goodun. This episode was a bit more classic bad AHS, but not in ways that were actually that bad if you know what I mean? There's still a consistency to it, so the show can throw out something as bizarre as that loving music video and it doesn't completely disrupt the show.

(Also that music video owned. Bulimia: It's empowering!)

Soooo do we reckon there are multiple different witch factions playing king of the hill womb, or is the show gonna go with internal disputes within the covern or....

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I cannot get over how good this season is, feels so refreshing after the ammount of bombs in AHS

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

The break was too long. I forget everything that's loving happened.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

That kinda blew.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought it was great. :shrug:

The bit where (I think) they revealed the ominous latin chanting was a Madonna cover was excellent.

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

The Latin chanting is just a prayer to Satan, or Hestia in the non-evil version. I don't think they were trying to misdirect with that at any point. It's a really literal Latin translation with "hail Satan / hail Hestia' (ave Satana / ave Hestia) prominent in it. The Madonna song is a call back to when the two characters sung it together in an earlier episode, redone with open menace to underscore the puppetmaster reveal to Anna. It's Siobhan gloating.

Total nitpick on the Hestia version of the chant, but I'm pretty sure they gently caress up the Latin for that one and it kept annoying me when watching the show. Hestia is female so that version of the chant should use Domina instead of Domini. I think. Unless I'm misremembering my Latin grammar or there's some obscure reason the gender matching wouldn't be used for a goddess. Either way, it was such a dumb thing to bug me, but it did.

cake bunny fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Huh, fr? I got that it was a callback, but i figured the rhythms were so similar and the segue between them so smooth that they were playing it like the latter was a translation of the former. drat.

I still liked the finale, it was just fun and mean. I got the sense that maybe they wanted to do more in the post strike episodes (the last few are notably shorter, and there's an extra flashback scene randomly placed outside the pre titles, which reads to me like unused material).