Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
better luck next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If they want to produce more schlock, they should finally make use of their rights to Ringworld.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

I think we should let them cook, they've got a good cast and an intriguing premise and could be some real high concept shenanigans coming our way

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ok, maybe Im dumb or I was too high or missed somthing, but I simply didint understood a large part of what happened at the last episodes, specially with Flynne

So she was talking about resetting the whole situation by making another stub where they would somehow prevent Cherise from messing with them, at least on that timeline. So far so good (kinda of, is not clear for me what that would solve for them)

She also talks about going away so Cherise would not have a reason to blown up the silo on their timeline, which also kinda makes sense maybe

She lays that plan to the police woman, who agrees to help her.

But than what happens though is that she goes into that "portal" place and, after beating a bunch of goons in kung fu, she presses a button labeled "2032" and smashes a pocket watch

And finally in the end she seems to get shot and than she is back to future London, apparently for good

I just cant make sense of it

edit: I was really enjoying it before those 2 last episodes, though

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 15, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's been a while, but i think the plan was to create a new stub based on her stub, which they'd keep hidden from the bad guys, then have the her from the original stub killed so she couldn't be threatened or manipulated, but have the her from the new stub carry on in her place.

The thing is, i don't think it actually made sense. I don't remember all the details now, but i do remember thinking at the time that it didn't actually solve any problems but did create a bunch more.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
the dangerous data that was encoded in the bacteria in her head would not have gone away from a gunshot to the head, she killed herself for no reason at all

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tiggum posted:

It's been a while, but i think the plan was to create a new stub based on her stub, which they'd keep hidden from the bad guys, then have the her from the original stub killed so she couldn't be threatened or manipulated, but have the her from the new stub carry on in her place.

The thing is, i don't think it actually made sense. I don't remember all the details now, but i do remember thinking at the time that it didn't actually solve any problems but did create a bunch more.

For some reason I understood that the new stub would be from before everything that happened since she first got to future London, some warning to the other her to not put the device in her head or something, so in that new stub they would all go on with their lives without getting involved in the future mess (edit: maybe because that makes more sense in the metaphor of "reseting the game")

But yeah, that makes more sense. Though probably not at all that much (because yes, it seems kinda pointless)

edit 2:

ymgve posted:

the dangerous data that was encoded in the bacteria in her head would not have gone away from a gunshot to the head, she killed herself for no reason at all

Also now there would be 2 copies of it. Unless Conner burned her corpse

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 15, 2023

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Woops, look like someone tripped over the server cable and crashed the new stub.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/the-peripheral-canceled-amazon-season-2-renewal-1235700019/

Can't say I'll miss it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It's a shame, there was some potential to improve it, but overall it sucked so :shrug:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
ending was like punctuation with a shart. it's for the best.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm watching Counterpart for the first time. I've come to the conclusion that this show is basically a shittier version of Counterpart, despite the much bigger budget. So, I suggest just watching Counterpart instead.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm watching Counterpart for the first time. I've come to the conclusion that this show is basically a shittier version of Counterpart, despite the much bigger budget. So, I suggest just watching Counterpart instead.

Counterpart was really good. Although I don't remember how it ended and I have the feeling that the second season was a bit of a step down from the first.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tiggum posted:

Counterpart was really good. Although I don't remember how it ended and I have the feeling that the second season was a bit of a step down from the first.

Second season felt a bit like it rushed to the conclusion (probably there were more seasons planned but they had to wrap it up in 2, but Im just guessing)

Still pretty good and incomparable to this crap

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Second season felt a bit like it rushed to the conclusion (probably there were more seasons planned but they had to wrap it up in 2, but Im just guessing)

Still pretty good and incomparable to this crap

If you believe Justin Marks (in !an interview with the av club that i can't find) the plan was always to do the story in two season chunks. The third and fourth seasons would have involved a second portal in Morroco, and the show's action would have been primarily set there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Aww that's a bummer. It definitely felt like it was going off the rails towards the end of the season but I thought there was still hope.

Counterpart owns though and is definitely a recommend.