Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Amazon and the internet in general have probably spoiled the plot more than they should.

The Peripheral is a 2022 American science fiction streaming television series executive produced and created by Scott Smith. Produced by Amazon, it is based on the 2014 book of the same name written by William Gibson. Westworld creators Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy serve as executive producers, along with Athena Wickham, Steve Hoban, and Vincenzo Natali. The series had its world premiere on October 11, 2022, at the Ace Hotel in Los Angeles, before its debut on October 21, 2022, on Amazon Prime Video.

I am so freakin stoked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I've watched the first episode so far, and like it quite a bit. The one bit of uncanny valley I get is that Burton looks like a young Chris Pratt and I can't unsee it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
really solid so far! love the title sequence, kind of a cross between Westworld and Halt and Catch Fire

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

it'll be interesting to see how the screenwriters translate Dick's awful, stilted dialogue

having read the books, I can tell that promo still in the OP is from probably the last ten minutes of the show. they did give a poo poo ton away in the trailers. looking forward to seeing how they envision some of the tech that Dick deliberately leaves vague so your minds' eye can paint in the details

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Who is this "Dick" that you're talking about?

Having seen the first two episodes, I think we finally have a solid William Gibson adaptation. It's a miracle.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i dont know why im conflating philip k dick with william gibson but i meant gibson :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gibson's dialogue isn't awkward or stilted imo. it's just....very mannered?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
they really nailed the "look" of "near future hellscape America"

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

precision posted:

Gibson's dialogue isn't awkward or stilted imo. it's just....very mannered?

he writes dialogue like an AI that's been trained by textbooks about how humans interact. always has

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The Peripheral was the first book of Gibson's that I read where it felt like he wrote it for the screen. Interesting to see authors like he and Alistair Reynolds evolve into more commercial writers over time.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

I can't say I've been bothered by his dialog but I've always enjoyed that overall he is more poetic(?) in his writing than other SF authors which, as has been mentioned, leaves more to the reader's imagination.

Oh, did anyone else feel like the 3D printers trying to get Flynn's attention was a nod to the bank of telephones in Neuromancer? Probably not a coincidence, since Vincenzo Natali was slated at one point to potentially direct an adaptation of that.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i love lines in the book like "she folded her phone the way she liked it for gaming and swung it through the display"

i want the job that brings that statement to a visual for the screen :)

is this one season the full plot of the first book? one of the FX shots in the trailer looks suspiciously like something that happens at the end of The Peripheral. if so, I hope we also get Agency and whatever the 3rd one turns out to be, the full Jackpot trilogy

also the Bridge trilogy. do it

boar guy fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 21, 2022

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

boar guy posted:

is this one season the full plot of the first book? one of the FX shots in the trailer looks suspiciously like something that happens at the end of The Peripheral. if so, I hope we also get Agency and whatever the 3rd one turns out to be, the full Jackpot trilogy

I had the same thought when I saw that shot. It could very well be that this season = the book, which honestly might be for the best either way. If it fails to catch on with viewers then at least we get a complete arc adapted to look back on, and if it succeeds we get another season or two based on the trilogy.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Gooble Rampling posted:

I had the same thought when I saw that shot. It could very well be that this season = the book, which honestly might be for the best either way. If it fails to catch on with viewers then at least we get a complete arc adapted to look back on, and if it succeeds we get another season or two based on the trilogy.

yeah i'd much prefer a tightly edited 8 episodes that hew very closely to the book than an attempt to milk it. shows should end :)

it'd be interesting to see how the shift away from Flynne as the protagonist and more to Lowbeer/future London in the 2nd book is handled

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Gooble Rampling posted:

Oh, did anyone else feel like the 3D printers trying to get Flynn's attention was a nod to the bank of telephones in Neuromancer? Probably not a coincidence, since Vincenzo Natali was slated at one point to potentially direct an adaptation of that.

I thought exactly that.

I didn't love Agency so I'm not too worried about future seasons, but very happy with how this one is shaping up.

quote:

they really nailed the "look" of "near future hellscape America"

Lots of Appalachian towns look just like that right now

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

Albinator posted:

Lots of Appalachian towns look just like that right now
Ha, yeah. I live in the South and my thought was, "Uh, that's just easy set dressing changing a few signs on buildings."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I like how in the Corbell VR scene they put some kind of filter on it to make it all uncanny valley.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i would absolutely kill for a Bridge Trilogy show. it has a ton of action and poo poo that is now extremely topical, like an AI singer using 3D printers to bring herself to life, it would deffo make great television

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

precision posted:

i would absolutely kill for a Bridge Trilogy show. it has a ton of action and poo poo that is now extremely topical, like an AI singer using 3D printers to bring herself to life, it would deffo make great television

such rad potential for set pieces. another female protag. awesome action shots of ebikes in San Fran. tearing down capitalism. it rules

omg i forgot about the tokyo subway BO gundam hovel

boar guy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 21, 2022

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

A Bridge trilogy show would be the best. The ending of All Tomorrow's Parties would make an amazing series finale. And the series has remained pretty topical.

E: The first two episodes of this have been great. I like all the affected dialog.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed - so much so that while I planned on going an episode a day I couldn't wait for ep 2. Which is high praise, for me. I have an immense amount of time for C.G.M. so this is a plus. Cute opening with the ship battle. Ah, we're doing Black Flag, thinks I. Ha, you got me.

A TVIV question: from the audience POV, is 2099 considered the present and 2032 the past? Vice versa? Something else, or does it simply not matter?

(I have not read the books so if the answer is a spoiler of sorts pls just say so.)

My guess: It's multiple timelines (not loving "flashbacks", stop saying that) where 2099 is present, 2032 is past, and they interact through the connection where 2099 can shape their events by altering the past e.g. mom obituary replaced by mom non-death.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Only Kindness posted:

Thoroughly enjoyed - so much so that while I planned on going an episode a day I couldn't wait for ep 2. Which is high praise, for me. I have an immense amount of time for C.G.M. so this is a plus. Cute opening with the ship battle. Ah, we're doing Black Flag, thinks I. Ha, you got me.

A TVIV question: from the audience POV, is 2099 considered the present and 2032 the past? Vice versa? Something else, or does it simply not matter?

(I have not read the books so if the answer is a spoiler of sorts pls just say so.)

My guess: It's multiple timelines (not loving "flashbacks", stop saying that) where 2099 is present, 2032 is past, and they interact through the connection where 2099 can shape their events by altering the past e.g. mom obituary replaced by mom non-death.

It is laid out in Ep2, basically From the first Stub, everything after that is different The [it]Original[/i] Timeline is not sacrosanct, things can change from here.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

actually terrible

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Yes, it's LITERALLY UNWATCHABLE.

1. Is Our Heroine called Flynne because of TRON?

2. The connection thing does seem to be two-way in "real-time" i.e. the human in 2032 can experience 2099 via the robot, notwithstanding there are ~70 years between them. Does something about that come into play like information going backwards == time-travel but information going forwards == a collapsed waveform of probabilities? Or is it just time-travel both ways and not really important?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Only Kindness posted:

Yes, it's LITERALLY UNWATCHABLE.

1. Is Our Heroine called Flynne because of TRON?

2. The connection thing does seem to be two-way in "real-time" i.e. the human in 2032 can experience 2099 via the robot, notwithstanding there are ~70 years between them. Does something about that come into play like information going backwards == time-travel but information going forwards == a collapsed waveform of probabilities? Or is it just time-travel both ways and not really important?

If I understand what you're asking, it's not really time travel both ways because interacting with the past creates a 'stub', or a branch version of the past that's now different because you interacted with it. So the future that is communicating with Flynne cannot become her actual future, not exactly. This is also why people from the future are free to mess around with stubs for fun and profit, because it can't affect them.

Or at least, that's how it works in the books.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Qmass posted:

actually terrible
actually, it's great

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

evenworse username posted:

If I understand what you're asking, it's not really time travel both ways because interacting with the past creates a 'stub', or a branch version of the past that's now different because you interacted with it. So the future that is communicating with Flynne cannot become her actual future, not exactly. This is also why people from the future are free to mess around with stubs for fun and profit, because it can't affect them.

Or at least, that's how it works in the books.

Thats it though, your* 'past' isn't real.

*for a specific species of you, of course, that should be understood.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Collateral posted:

Thats it though, your* 'past' isn't real.

*for a specific species of you, of course, that should be understood.
It took a while to wrap my head around when reading the book, but the way interaction between the 2030s and 2099 works is as evenworse described it. You could imagine time as a tree, with an original pre-communication-fuckery timeline being the trunk. Every time someone from a future first contacts someone from a specific point in the past, a new branch is created and maintained from that point forward. Every person in every timeline (both original and branched) is "real"; it's just that those people exist in different realities created through the communications.

It's all kind of weird and neat, but it's just a means for telling a compelling story about what Gibson refers to as the Jackpot.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

I was bored so I made this handy visual that hopefully explains the timeline questions. I guess it is kind of a spoiler for those who haven't watched or read anything at all yet, but it doesn't give anything away beyond that core concept.

Anyone who has had to deal with using GitHub or a VPN should be able to understand it.

https://imgur.com/IM1S20p

One spoilery thing I'll say is that, if I recall correctly, losing that server connection to the stub means that it is difficult if not impossible to reconnect to that particular stub again. So that adds some tension. The stub still continues on of course.

Gooble Rampling fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 23, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gooble Rampling posted:

I was bored so I made this handy visual that hopefully explains the timeline questions. I guess it is kind of a spoiler for those who haven't watched or read anything at all yet, but it doesn't give anything away beyond that core concept.

Anyone who has had to deal with using GitHub or a VPN should be able to understand it.

https://imgur.com/IM1S20p

One spoilery thing I'll say is that, if I recall correctly, losing that server connection to the stub means that it is difficult if not impossible to reconnect to that particular stub again. So that adds some tension. The stub still continues on of course.

good image, yeah it's actually pretty simple to understand the rules, as long as you accept the premise at all

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

got to watch the 2 eps with my family, who also greatly enjoyed them

interesting to see some of the creative liberties they take. normally I have to read a Gibson book two or three times to really understand it rather than getting a bunch of impressions and then delving into them on further reads but I can see where that wouldn't work for TV

have they even said Lowbeer's name yet? such a rad character. and connor's actor is doing a great loving job. I can't wait until he gets to run a Peri in 2099 :)

also to the dude what said "actually terrible" you gotta be making GBS threads me. have you seen some of the bullshit that passes for narrative entertainment these days

boar guy fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 24, 2022

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I thought the first two episodes were really good. Very slickly made, and well-acted, especially Flynne and Burton. Can't wait to meet Lowbeer.

I'm a little concerned that they've more or less blitzed through 50% of the actual plot happenings of the book in about two episodes -- it's not a very plotty book -- and I'm worried they're going to stretch it out with a bunch of dumb Hollywood bullshit, but so far, so good.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yeah they really are burning through that plot pretty quick :) spent a lot of budget on the pilot and not a lot on the 2nd ep. shooting in London after dark has gotta be pricey

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Very slickly made, and well-acted, especially Flynne and Burton. Can't wait to meet Lowbeer.

we've met her, right? the irish asian with the bifurcated pupils?

boar guy fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 24, 2022

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

boar guy posted:

No, that's Ash. She's Zubov's gothic techie. She of the Parliment of Birds. Lowbeer hasn't shown up yet.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

No, that's Ash. She's Zubov's gothic techie. She of the Parliment of Birds. Lowbeer hasn't shown up yet.

ah, that makes sense. i pictured Lowbeer more as a judi dench/more mature/seasoned type anyway but i kept waiting for a closeup on a character's pupils to give it away and so far, she's the one :)

also pictured flynne's mom older and more frail and i forgot about Lowbeer's tipstaff. should make for some rad visuals

boar guy fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 24, 2022

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

boar guy posted:

she's scottish, like the dwarves in rings of power are, not irish, like the hobbits in rings of power are

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Liked these first two episodes quite a bit. The reversal with them initially presenting the brother as a deadbeat gamer who steals medicine from his mom to him actually being insanely talented at killing people and having a tight relationship with his war buddies and just being a Good Guy was nice to see.

Flynne is likewise portrayed as very competent but not at the cost of her having a personality as is often the case in prestige dramas like this. Just, overall a very solid surprise considering I had never even heard of it like 4 days ago.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's a little eerie how close Flynne and her family are to what i pictured in my head. even their house. just nailed it

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

I thought the first two episodes were really good. Very slickly made, and well-acted, especially Flynne and Burton. Can't wait to meet Lowbeer.

I'm excited for this too, William Gibson was ill during much of the creation of the show so he didn't have as much involvement as he had planned, but one thing he had insisted on was casting (spoiler for both the book and the series) a trans actress to play Lowbeer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

precision posted:

it's a little eerie how close Flynne and her family are to what i pictured in my head. even their house. just nailed it

I honestly pictured them poorer. they have an outhouse, in the book

but it's really close, agreed