Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Lowbeer's in the trailer if you want a preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, I'm sorry if I'm just bad at TV, but I missed the part where they explain why they're bothering to go through all the trouble of contacting people from the past to pilot the robots.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Okay, I'm sorry if I'm just bad at TV, but I missed the part where they explain why they're bothering to go through all the trouble of contacting people from the past to pilot the robots.

they have not explained it yet, really, only Lev said something about it cryptically but loving around with stubs is essentially just a hobby for the future rich

In the book Flynne stumbles upon a murder her first time in future london (which isn't while driving a Peri) and that's why she's involved as she witnessed something no one else did

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
to dig too deep into that would spoil some stuff that the viewer learns about around the same time as Flynne and co do.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

to dig too deep into that would spoil some stuff that the viewer learns about around the same time as Flynne and co do.

i have a feeling like we are getting some very exposition-heavy episodes for the next 2 or 3, ramping up to a big dollar finale. show is good

i wonder if they will take the time to detour in to things like the all-peripheral district of the city, etc.

flynne's kidnapping will be an episode, the finale i imagine to be some mix of future london showdown/assault on the print shop, they'll need an episode to get lowbeer over

that really only leaves 3 episodes to do anything else with

boar guy fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 24, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
How many episodes in this series run? Presumably it's just the full novel and not split into multiple seasons like American Gods.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

How many episodes in this series run? Presumably it's just the full novel and not split into multiple seasons like American Gods.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

uber_stoat posted:

Lowbeer's in the trailer if you want a preview.

this is the Season 1: This Season extra on the prime site now that i checked.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

boar guy posted:

they have not explained it yet, really, only Lev said something about it cryptically but loving around with stubs is essentially just a hobby for the future rich

In the book Flynne stumbles upon a murder her first time in future london (which isn't while driving a Peri) and that's why she's involved as she witnessed something no one else did

Oh wow, I thought I was just being dumb or distracted. That seems like kind of an important thing to include early, no? I felt like I was missing something the whole second episode. It seems like an enormous complication to include time travel just to have someone to pilot your robots.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Oh wow, I thought I was just being dumb or distracted. That seems like kind of an important thing to include early, no? I felt like I was missing something the whole second episode. It seems like an enormous complication to include time travel just to have someone to pilot your robots.

a) it's not time travel :)
b) it'll make sense later. lots of WG's stuff is like that. it's really interesting to watch the show with people who haven't read the books and see what they pick up on or don't, what subtext is left out, etc.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Regardless of what Wilf says, it's time travel. ;)

Phenotype posted:

The answer is ennui. The series of calamities and catastrophes that left the world severely polluted and underpopulated worked out pretty well for those lucky enough to survive and their descendants, sorta like how the black plague was ultimately an economic boon for its survivors. They live in a giant graveyard, but they have fairly easy and pleasant lives. That's why they call it the "Jackpot".

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i hope they give Wilf some room to breathe, his character is a lot more interesting/sympathetic in the book

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

boar guy posted:

i hope they give Wilf some room to breathe, his character is a lot more interesting/sympathetic in the book

Lev making reference to his capacity for violence and his change of occupation from publicist to fixer seems to indicate they have made significant changes to his character from the book, for better or worse.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

RichterIX posted:

Lev making reference to his capacity for violence and his change of occupation from publicist to fixer seems to indicate they have made significant changes to his character from the book, for better or worse.

definitely. i also found his raging alcoholism in the book very endearing

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

boar guy posted:

definitely. i also found his raging alcoholism in the book very endearing

yeah, i was sort of surprised they left that out.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

yeah, i was sort of surprised they left that out.

i can think of at least one or two characters that it feels like they're going to have to leave out completely

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

boar guy posted:

i can think of at least one or two characters that it feels like they're going to have to leave out completely

i hope they aren't leaving out the Patchers but i could totally understand if they did

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

boar guy posted:

That's what Zubov and 'continua enthusiasts' do with it, but it's also implied that stubs are used as a source of basically free labour - if it's work that can be done over the server, then you can pay people in a stub with money that comes from their stub also and the cost to future people is the next thing to zero. It's referred to as 'third worlding the past' and to me it's absolutely what a bunch of corporations would do with access to the past if they could.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the exchange between Flynne and Leb about who is "real" is important. most of the future people don't really see those in the stubs as real people with real feelings and needs, you can do whatever you want with them. Aelita and friends are exceptions. rich people in our time don't see their lessers as real either. insert Gibson quote here.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Really enjoying this so far, great casting.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 24, 2022

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

evenworse username posted:

That's what Zubov and 'continua enthusiasts' do with it, but it's also implied that stubs are used as a source of basically free labour - if it's work that can be done over the server, then you can pay people in a stub with money that comes from their stub also and the cost to future people is the next thing to zero. It's referred to as 'third worlding the past' and to me it's absolutely what a bunch of corporations would do with access to the past if they could.

they also do things like 'use one stub to develop a weapon that can be used in another stub.' the non/unpersoning of the other continuua by most of the non Lev/Lowbeer groups is a key concept

precision posted:

i hope they aren't leaving out the Patchers but i could totally understand if they did

i was looking forward to watching Wilf trying to unlock that automatic bar and Lev's crazy rear end RV. still time for that i suppose, and we're pretty much guaranteed a squidsuit

boar guy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 24, 2022

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

the exchange between Flynne and Leb about who is "real" is important. most of the future people don't really see those in the stubs as real people with real feelings and needs, you can do whatever you want with them. Aelita and friends are exceptions. rich people in our time don't see their lessers as real either. insert Gibson quote here.

Note that Aelita calls Flynne/Burton a "polt" as in "poltergeist". Even the people who are sympathetic towards them think of them as sort of ghosts of dead people.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
book spoilers is it the peripheral or agency where two future dudes are explicitly having a competition to see who can make the biggest hellworld with the fewest interferences possible?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the latter, which I need to reread because I think it may have sucked?

boar guy fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 26, 2022

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

boar guy posted:

it wasn't as good as the first one for sure. still want to see how it all ends though.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

it wasn't as good as the first one for sure. still want to see how it all ends though.

yeah I don't think he'd have started the trilogy without something in mind to tie it all up at the end :)

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

boar guy posted:

I wish he hadn't hit the brakes and done a big rewrite of Agency, which he apparently did when Trump was elected, and made the whole book way more topical than I would like. It was still entertaining though. Also, I'm afraid Jackpot may be way too topical at the rate of things now.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
This show is weird to me. I religiously read William Gibson up through zero history, even burning chrome, but just kind of stopped when life/work took me overseas in 2014 and never took him back up. I guess was just in time to miss this.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I really like burning chrome. would love to see that story where they recover infinity travellers while kitted out with all kinds of drugs brought to the screen

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i like drugs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Agency didn't suck but it was boring. It seemed even worse because The Peripheral was the best thing he had written in a decade

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I really liked Pattern Recognition and Zero History (didn't care for spook country). Always surprised those never got picked up by TV/Film offers considering how big a deal Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was at the time.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

precision posted:

Agency didn't suck but it was boring. It seemed even worse because The Peripheral was the best thing he had written in a decade
Yep. Peripheral was an amazing read when I picked it up for the first time in March, 2020. Agency was not.

Pattern Recognition was great too and I never finished Spook Country.

Maybe middle books in a trilogy just aren't Gibson's thing?

Edit: correcting myself - Idoru was great.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 26, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i think i would rank his stuff as such, from best to worst

mona lisa overdrive - the GOAT
all tomorrow's parties - the other GOAT
the peripheral
idoru
pattern recognition
neuromancer
zero history
virtual light
count zero
spook country
agency

none of them are bad, but like spook country is a real snoozer

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

boar guy posted:

yeah I don't think he'd have started the trilogy without something in mind to tie it all up at the end :)

He didn't start it as a trilogy. Agency wasn't originally intended as a sequel to The Peripheral. It became one when he did the big rewrite after Trump got elected. That said, I am very excited to see what he does with Eunice and the server since she can interact with it in ways no other character can.

precision posted:

none of them are bad, but like spook country is a real snoozer

I enjoyed Zero History and Spook Country more when I reread them this summer, but I still think that they, along with Agency, are too choppy compared to his other stuff.

Totally agree that All Tomorrow's Parties is among his best work. It's probably my favorite of his novels. I would kill for a Bridge trilogy adaptation.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

He didn't start it as a trilogy. Agency wasn't originally intended as a sequel to The Peripheral. It became one when he did the big rewrite after Trump got elected.

it was very weird opening Kindle and seeing the first two books referred to as part of the Jackpot trilogy, especially given how disconnected book 2 is from book 1. looking forward to a CGM cameo some time in season 2, though

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As a non-book reader, I thought episode 3 was another pretty good entry. Jasper as a character annoys me though.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Same here, great entertainment, and I feel like I know less about what's going on now than last week. That being said I'm fine with glossy nonsense as long as Jolan-Noy want to keep serving it up, it's not like it costs me anything. Bring on Fallout.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

whooooooole bunch of stuff not from the book in this ep. basically all of it

also basically 100% exposition as expected

boar guy fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i like cherise a lot, just straight up chewing scenery while wearing awesome costumes

burton is just way too pretty and clean for someone who is supposed to be hosed up from serving in the military, perfect beard, perfect skin, even eating a perfect sandwich with perfect white bread with perfect mustard from a perfect bottle of frenchs