Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I know I hovered over some spoilers but time travel doesn't make much sense with a sentence like "I'll be back in an hour", unless they're "synchronised" which I doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The two timelines become synchronized from the moment of initial contact. People in London can’t contact a point earlier or later in Flynn’s stub without creating another, separate stub, which will then also be synchronized.

It’s not really time travel at all, it’s more like asymmetrical alternate timeline creation. Once the timeline branches, it’s set and can only travel forward at its own rate.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I take the expansive view. It's time travel. Physical objects may not travel between the timelines, but data does.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ep three was a huge miss for me. Too much weird unnecessary poo poo not from the books, too much talking, and I don't like the villain

an elaborate costume doesn't make you a good actor

spoilers for non-book readers
i want to try to catalog everything i remember differently from having last read the book, please tell me if i'm wrong as i was pretty high when i saw ep 3

in the book:
wilf is sort of a wuss and not really in to physical violence until absolutely pressed in to having no alternative
the peripheral absolutely does hang out on a bed when it's not being driven by flynne
corbell and burton do not have a face to face nor does corbell get 200k a week from milagros coldiron
all the adoption stuff with wilf (and wilf's mom, what in the blue gently caress was that), i remember not a lick of that nor why it matters
the romantic undertones between wilf and flynne? or was that all explained away at the last minute by 'haptic drift'?
the Whole loving Thing With The Bees
the Whole loving Thing With Crucifying the Bikers
wilf doesn't murder the junkers, it's Daedra's security systems
is there even a scenery chewing villain in the books? it's more just hamed and the remembrancer trying to cover up their consipracy against the junkers, right? i sort of really hate that character through no fault of the actors' and not in a good way

i reserve the right to add more later ;)

like: in the books the london phones don't provide haptic feedback, right? it's just more of a tongue-activated iPhone? flynne feeling wilf's hangover? zuh?

boar guy fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 28, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I've seen the currently released episodes now.
I'm not really feeling it. The first episode had some promise, but it's moving to slow for my taste.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
well, it was good while it lasted lmao

seriously though, i liked episode 3. it's just... very different from the book

edit: i think some of this stuff was in Agency? i seriously don't remember anything about that book except there was a sassy african-american AI and the dumb stuff about Trump

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

precision posted:

well, it was good while it lasted lmao
seriously though, i liked episode 3. it's just... very different from the book

my family were on their phones :/

precision posted:

edit: i think some of this stuff was in Agency?

maybe they are going for the 3 season arc after all? i dont remember any of this either, i gotta reread agency too

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PeterWeller posted:

I take the expansive view. It's time travel. Physical objects may not travel between the timelines, but data does.

"data" is really just the word we use for "the smallest possible physical object" anyway, when you think about it

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

boar guy posted:

Ep three was a huge miss for me. Too much weird unnecessary poo poo not from the books, too much talking, and I don't like the villain

an elaborate costume doesn't make you a good actor

spoilers for non-book readers
i want to try to catalog everything i remember differently from having last read the book, please tell me if i'm wrong as i was pretty high when i saw ep 3

in the book:
wilf is sort of a wuss and not really in to physical violence until absolutely pressed in to having no alternative
the peripheral absolutely does hang out on a bed when it's not being driven by flynne
corbell and burton do not have a face to face nor does corbell get 200k a week from milagros coldiron
all the adoption stuff with wilf (and wilf's mom, what in the blue gently caress was that), i remember not a lick of that nor why it matters
the romantic undertones between wilf and flynne? or was that all explained away at the last minute by 'haptic drift'?
the Whole loving Thing With The Bees
the Whole loving Thing With Crucifying the Bikers
wilf doesn't murder the junkers, it's Daedra's security systems
is there even a scenery chewing villain in the books? it's more just hamed and the remembrancer trying to cover up their consipracy against the junkers, right? i sort of really hate that character through no fault of the actors' and not in a good way

i reserve the right to add more later ;)

In the book Pickett does have a meeting with the Fishers though it is at their house and a lot less full of snipers and such. The idea of him cooperating with Coldiron is the upshot of it but he decides trying to kidnap Flynne for the opposition is a better play. So he's still intended to be a dangerous rear end in a top hat, it's just not laid on quite so thick.

Everything from the future is very different from the book and I'm not entirely sure what the changes are aimed at aside from the motivations of Daedra and her allies being a little hard to understand.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I thought the bees were maybe a more down to earth riff on what gets Flynne dragged into things in the book.

i don't know that they had to go through so much trouble to make Corbell seem so evil. he doesn't have to be a moustache twirler to be a bad guy.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

I thought the bees were maybe a more down to earth riff on what gets Flynne dragged into things in the book.

i think they are reserving that visual for the final bigbad, whomever it turns out to be in the show

100% agree about corbell. he was more menacing when you knew/saw less. the audience doesn't need jasper as a proxy to know that corbell is a bad guy. his stooges trying to withhold drugs from flynne was plenty, the scene in the bar escalated things probably further than they needed to and then that crucifixion nonsense was just an unneccessary topper. i don't mind changes from the source material if they make narrative sense so i hope all this will still pay off but so far the changes are not for the better.

that seems to be the theme of this episode. tell, don't show. the books don't have endless pages of exposition, the dialogue is usually pretty sparse (i think i referred to it as stilted but what i meant was 'it's hard to picture people talking like that')

boar guy fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 28, 2022

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Watched episode three and for the most part everything not to do with the villains was good. I guess I'm just sick of the evil for the sake of evil since it just comes off as really lazy. Unfortunately even though things are still decent, with that in mind, eventually conflict with the villains will drive the story, and I can't see the show ever being great with such poo poo tier villains.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I liked this episode. I don't mind the villains' plot being vague and hard to understand because I don't really remember the specifics of the villains' scheme in the book except that it's essentially petty and really just serves to motivate the plot.

I think there's more to the Pickett stuff than just turning him into a mustache-twirling TV villain. It also serves to show that 2030s Appalachia is essentially a failed state drifting into neo-feudalism. Himbo sheriff being little more than a confused onlooker reinforces this. Unless I'm just totally blanking on a scene, poor dude still hasn't even realized his boss is dead.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Have to admit, I'm missing Wilf as loveable-doofus. Otherwise, show is good.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh hey there's a thread. i really like the world presented in this show and the visuals are pretty great but the writing is CW-tier. i'm actually surpised it came from a book that wasn't a YA novel. villain sucks rear end so far

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...
There was an interview where the Research Institute head/bee lady said there was more to her character than meets the eye. I recall that the Boss Patcher was just some dude wearing a giant costume so that he could do dodgy real estate deals, so perhaps she is that in reverse or she is some peripheral being piloted by the aunties, the absence of which I don’t like .

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

boar guy posted:

This is definitely in the book but it's not laid on quite so thick and ends up coming to nothing for obvious reasons.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I didn't know anything about this show going into it, and I enjoyed the first 2 episodes. Not a fan of the villain in episode 3 as many here have already said, but I'm definitely intrigued enough to stick with this until the end of the season.

This is also the first time I've been able to see Chloe Grace Moretz in something and not think of her as Hit-Girl.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

RichterIX posted:

This is definitely in the book but it's not laid on quite so thick and ends up coming to nothing for obvious reasons.

Yeah I'm re-reading The Peripheral to go along with the show and Gibson always has any romantic feelings between characters *very* understated - like as far as I can tell the only hints of the Flynne/Tommy attraction are one place she thinks he's 'the closest thing' to an attractive single man' in town and in another place wishes she has lip gloss on. So when you consider that, there's definitely some hints between Flynne and Wilf (more on Wilf's side I think) where he's holding hands with her peripheral and so on but far more understated than what we saw in the show. Of course there's also the added layer that the peripheral only vaguely looks like Flynne to begin with rather than the exact version the show has.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

evenworse username posted:

Yeah I'm re-reading The Peripheral to go along with the show and Gibson always has any romantic feelings between characters *very* understated - like as far as I can tell the only hints of the Flynne/Tommy attraction are one place she thinks he's 'the closest thing' to an attractive single man' in town and in another place wishes she has lip gloss on. So when you consider that, there's definitely some hints between Flynne and Wilf (more on Wilf's side I think) where he's holding hands with her peripheral and so on but far more understated than what we saw in the show. Of course there's also the added layer that the peripheral only vaguely looks like Flynne to begin with rather than the exact version the show has.

it's weird that they are going out of their way to put Flynne- who seems to be fairly sexually naive, or uninterested, or it's not important- in some weird situations w/r/t sex- making out with a woman while driving a peri shaped as her brother, making out with wilf while they're haptically connected- it's not necessary or even very titillating. it comes off as some producer very much wanting the visual of an older black man kissing a younger white woman For Edginess Purposes

it has bugged me that the peri looks like Flynne but i can see where it's just not practical to cast another actress in those scenes, nor do you have to spend time explaining it to the audience

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Wilf definitely crushes hard on Flynne in the book. It's generally understated, but quite clear. Ash and Lev give him some poo poo for it.

The peri looks just like Flynne for basic TV reasons: you're not going to cast Chloe Grace Moretz for your main character and then not have her perform in fully half the scenes involving that character.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

Wilf definitely crushes hard on Flynne in the book. It's generally understated, but quite clear. Ash and Lev give him some poo poo for it.

right, i remember it being portrayed as much more of a one way street in the book

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

boar guy posted:

it's weird that they are going out of their way to put Flynne- who seems to be fairly sexually naive, or uninterested, or it's not important- in some weird situations w/r/t sex- making out with a woman while driving a peri shaped as her brother, making out with wilf while they're haptically connected- it's not necessary or even very titillating. it comes off as some producer very much wanting the visual of an older black man kissing a younger white woman For Edginess Purposes

it has bugged me that the peri looks like Flynne but i can see where it's just not practical to cast another actress in those scenes, nor do you have to spend time explaining it to the audience

Yeah aside from 'audiences like to see kissing', I'm not sure why they've made the change to turn up the volume on those kinds of scenes. It doesn't really seem necessary from a story POV and I sure hope they're not writing in some kind of silly love triangle plot angle or something.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

evenworse username posted:

Yeah aside from 'audiences like to see kissing', I'm not sure why they've made the change to turn up the volume on those kinds of scenes. It doesn't really seem necessary from a story POV and I sure hope they're not writing in some kind of silly love triangle plot angle or something.

'we thought maybe we could sell this to HBO if it were edgier?'

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i could have sworn that in the book wilf and flynne kinda "got together" and there was some stuff about how "unconventional" the relationship is since it's non-spatio-temporal, and later on in the ending when it sounds like Wilf visits her world all the time in that remote controlled iPad or whatever?

did i just like, make ALL OF THAT up lol

EDIT: for non- book readers, i'm allowing discussion of this because it's not really spoiling any of the plot or mystery, it's a farily minor thing we're discussing here

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

quote:

did i just like, make ALL OF THAT up lol

it was very very very vaguely hinted around and only in one direction and it's resolved anyway because wilf ends up in a happy relationship in his real world, which is why it's so weird they went that direction on the show. as i said i haven't read it in a while but i remember being a little weirded out because the peri is a bit younger than Flynne's character and having an attraction to it made Wilf seem a little skeevy- sometimes Gibson writes flaws into his protagonists in weird ways- but they definitely do not kiss and Flynne does definitely not have a weak kneed moment back in her real world afterward in the book that i remember

i also hope we get a Wheelie Boy, since that tech exists now for tradeshows and telepresence. i hope it's cheesy as gently caress

boar guy fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 31, 2022

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

boar guy posted:

right, i remember it being portrayed as much more of a one way street in the book

I think Flynne does get a little starry-eyed about Wilf in the book, but she quickly squashes it because it's an impossible relationship, and Flynne is ultimately a very practical young woman.

I think we can chalk the show playing it up more once again to genre and medium conventions. People do like to see kissing.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

Flynne is ultimately a very practical young woman.

i'm glad they are keeping this explicitly intact because im watching this with my 15 year old and i wanted that modelled for her :)

back to the previous discussion: maybe the kiss/attraction stuff is a somewhat hamfisted attempt to convey that Flynne is as real to Wilf as future London/Wilf are to Flynne? so that the stakes are equal in both timelines?

boar guy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 31, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wilf in the book struck me as a young hip alcoholic, like, the kind of person who thinks he's ancient because he's 27

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

precision posted:

Wilf in the book struck me as a young hip alcoholic, like, the kind of person who thinks he's ancient because he's 27
Yep, although he always struck me as trying to be hip instead of succeeding - he had just the right personality for that wheelie boy. At any rate, he was more fun than show Wilf, who comes off as really serious by comparison (and more competent).

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 31, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TyrantWD posted:

I didn't know anything about this show going into it, and I enjoyed the first 2 episodes. Not a fan of the villain in episode 3 as many here have already said, but I'm definitely intrigued enough to stick with this until the end of the season.

This is also the first time I've been able to see Chloe Grace Moretz in something and not think of her as Hit-Girl.

I'm mostly glad that Chloe Grace Moretz is in her mid-20s.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's freaky that she still basically looks the same as when she was a 14 year old vampire. how did they not get her for Claudia in the new Vampire show

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

precision posted:

it's freaky that she still basically looks the same as when she was a 14 year old vampire. how did they not get her for Claudia in the new Vampire show

Maybe she actually turned them down because she was sick of playing jailbait characters?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i wonder how this would have turned out if gibson didn't get sick during production

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
She got some real Walton Goggins mouth and I can't unsee

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i wanna like this but god drat this episode really stuck me in the 50/50 zone. it really shows they got a dude who peaked in the 90s to adapt gibson for tv, but i guess it runs with the territory

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Did I miss something where they just tell people it's a time travel /data link concept and they accept this? Why are those 3D printer nerds in on it, and how do the future people know who it is on the other side?

Also how did Wilf travel into the home movie sim and just come and go into the past?

I also want to like it and I'll continue watching, but the writing is lazy and the editing is all over the place too

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

SpaceAceJase posted:

Did I miss something where they just tell people it's a time travel /data link concept and they accept this? Why are those 3D printer nerds in on it, and how do the future people know who it is on the other side?

Also how did Wilf travel into the home movie sim and just come and go into the past?

I also want to like it and I'll continue watching, but the writing is lazy and the editing is all over the place too

well they do find it a bit easier to digest than i would but having them sit there in disbelief forever wouldn't work. the 3d printer nerds work at the 3d printer place which was bought out by Milagros and now serves their aims. the future people know things because they have agents working for them in the past who send data back to them. Wilf can tap into the sim because future tech is presumably so advanced they can just hack into whatever they want, especially if it's some consumer grade vr thingy.

there's a certain amount of hand waving involved, it isn't hard sci fi. it's a story about rich people destroying the futures of everyone on earth so they can get even richer but that's not enough so they invent a way to rape and pillage the past too.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I feel like it's wobbling a bit, though still interesting enough that I want to keep watching.

A 1:1 adaptation of the book probably wouldn't work out but you can really feel the 'we need to mass market this' effect on it (e.g. Here is an Infographic about the Jackpot) and it's not really to its benefit, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

there's a certain amount of hand waving involved, it isn't hard sci fi. it's a story about rich people destroying the futures of everyone on earth so they can get even richer but that's not enough so they invent a way to rape and pillage the past too.

the funny thing is I find this the least interesting part to watch, and it's the entire premise of the show!

gimme more flynne, burton, and conner loving people up, both online and off.