Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Josh Lyman posted:

I’ve seen the first 3 eps. Is it worth finishing?
What'd you think about those 3 episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What'd you think about those 3 episodes?
They were okay. The world building and mythology is decent but the script and secondary characters are meh.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

They were okay. The world building and mythology is decent but the script and secondary characters are meh.

It mostly continues to be okay.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Slamhound posted:

It mostly continues to be okay.
Yeah I'd say the show is of a pretty consistent quality. The worldbuilding and mythology stays interesting and the script and secondary characters don't get much better or worse.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
As someone who just finished watching it and has not read the book, the show is perfectly mid. Decent production and execution, but I'm not really interested enough in another season.

Also, what exactly is going on in that ending? I feel like I must have missed something important:

So I get the part where Flynne creates a new untraceable stub where life can just go on as normal without RI intervention. Ok, but how exactly is she intending to "hide" there with Conner when it's impossible to physically move between stubs, only transfer data? Also, if the "original stub" Flynne dies, then who is going back to future London at the end, the "new stub" Flynne?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

grate deceiver posted:

As someone who just finished watching it and has not read the book, the show is perfectly mid. Decent production and execution, but I'm not really interested enough in another season.

Also, what exactly is going on in that ending? I feel like I must have missed something important:

So I get the part where Flynne creates a new untraceable stub where life can just go on as normal without RI intervention. Ok, but how exactly is she intending to "hide" there with Conner when it's impossible to physically move between stubs, only transfer data? Also, if the "original stub" Flynne dies, then who is going back to future London at the end, the "new stub" Flynne?

Well, the stub will have another version of everyone that exists in the world at the point of the fork. So Flynne2 is safe in the new stub while Flynne1 is killing herself. Flynne2 is the one that goes back to London, completely negating the point of hiding in the first place.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Yeah, the new stub branches from Flynn's stub at that exact moment, basically making another copy of Flynn's stub that can then move forward and try to avoid the jackpot with help from Lowbeer in the 2090s. I presume Lowbeer can do something to prevent Cherise from knowing she's in communication with Flynn still.

It was a solid show. It fell well short of the book, but that doesn't surprise me. I'm not sure having Gibson on board at every stage would've made it much better. Dude wrote the screenplay to Johnny Mnemonic, which didn't save that movie from being cheesy and silly.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I somehow assumed that you can't branch off a stub from another stub, only from the "original" timeline, so Flynn2 would have no knowledge of any events we witnessed in the show. But if it's a 1:1 copy of Flynn1's stub then that makes a lot more sense I guess.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

grate deceiver posted:

I somehow assumed that you can't branch off a stub from another stub, only from the "original" timeline, so Flynn2 would have no knowledge of any events we witnessed in the show. But if it's a 1:1 copy of Flynn1's stub then that makes a lot more sense I guess.

That seemed to me what the visual of the new stub's creation indicated. Flynn doesn't trace a new line from the main line; she traces it laterally from the branch that represents her own stub.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I thought it stubbed off of 2028? I had a hard time following exactly everything that was going on so appreciate the hand holding here as a non book reader.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I'm surprised that was the finale. Felt way more like a penultimate episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have no idea what the hell is even going on with the end of that one. Flynne gets rid of the information in the stub that Cherise can get to. But then Lev meets up with those dudes telling him to cauterize the entire branch of the tree to make sure nothing gets back to them. Does that mean that he would also be killing off that stub that Flynne just created since it seemed like it branched off of her stub.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Cojawfee posted:

I have no idea what the hell is even going on with the end of that one. Flynne gets rid of the information in the stub that Cherise can get to. But then Lev meets up with those dudes telling him to cauterize the entire branch of the tree to make sure nothing gets back to them. Does that mean that he would also be killing off that stub that Flynne just created since it seemed like it branched off of her stub.
Yep! If he knows about it. I guess that will be a big part of the plot if they do a second season.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

ymgve posted:

The show claims that but I don't see why that's true? She's still connecting into a body in the 2090 world, so there's clearly a link that could be tracked down. It just seems like "and then they lived happily after and she got revenge like she claimed" Killing herself in the old stub doesn't make sense even if you assume the new timeline can't be tracked down because you bet that nuke would get set off anyway in the old stub just to eradicate any remaining trace of the bacteria.

Yeah, I was mostly understanding the plot and character motivations up until the second half of the last episode, at which point I have no idea what's going on any more.

- If the new stub was a redo, then why does it matter at all when the "value" of this stub was the bacteria dna in Flynne's head?
- Why would the Cherise or Zev or Lowbeer care about this new stub at all, especially if the one(s) the RI were running experiments in are cut off and this one predates their experiments?
- Why the heck did Flynne think she needed to kill herself, especially when that was the objective of the bad guys basically all season?
- Why does anyone think that creating a new stub will cease the future's connection with the old "current" stub, considering the new stub appears to be a branch of the "current" stub?

I can't tell if I missed something or if I'm too dumb to understand a genius plot 🤷‍♂️

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

Yeah, I was mostly understanding the plot and character motivations up until the second half of the last episode, at which point I have no idea what's going on any more.

- Why the heck did Flynne think she needed to kill herself, especially when that was the objective of the bad guys basically all season?
- Why does anyone think that creating a new stub will cease the future's connection with the old "current" stub, considering the new stub appears to be a branch of the "current" stub?

I can't tell if I missed something or if I'm too dumb to understand a genius plot 🤷‍♂️

I think I understand this one. They were wanting to kill her all season because... I'm not really sure why, I guess to just close the loop on what happened so no one could figure it out. The reason why she finally decides to kill herself is because now they know that she has the RI information in her brain. So they would then want to capture her to get the data from her head. If she makes a new stub and then dies, then the information dies, and no one can get to that new stub, because she destroyed the uh pocket watch(?) that gave them access to the coordinates. What I don't get is why they are able to just freely control these peripherals whenever they want. Don't they belong to Zubov? Why are they allowed to just take these peripherals out and about to plot against Zubov?'

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

because she destroyed the uh pocket watch(?) that gave them access to the coordinates. What I don't get is why they are able to just freely control these peripherals whenever they want. Don't they belong to Zubov? Why are they allowed to just take these peripherals out and about to plot against Zubov?[/spoiler]'

Oh yeah, I forgot about this line of things that don't make sense, I'm curious too.

- we were introduced to the concept of RI stub outposts, and then see it, and then infiltrate it, and then flawlessly manipulate cutting edge future tech all in the span of about 40 minutes. So convenient!
- how did Flynne know which RI stub facility to attack?
- why does the RI let random guards open the door, and why is there only one door to give all access?
- why are they protecting stub creator locations with only a fraction of the defense of stub viewing locations?
- if the stubs are illegal and the cops know where the stub locations are, why don't the cops bust in (I'll admit this could have an in-universe answer such a balance of power, etc)
- if Flynne destroyed the coordinates how is the future able to contact the past and connect with new-stub-Flynne!?
- WHY DID THEY PUT THE STUB REMOTE CONTROL IN THE SAME LOCATION AS THE STUB CREATOR PORTAL?!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Cojawfee posted:

I think I understand this one. They were wanting to kill her all season because... I'm not really sure why, I guess to just close the loop on what happened so no one could figure it out. The reason why she finally decides to kill herself is because now they know that she has the RI information in her brain. So they would then want to capture her to get the data from her head. If she makes a new stub and then dies, then the information dies, and no one can get to that new stub, because she destroyed the uh pocket watch(?) that gave them access to the coordinates. What I don't get is why they are able to just freely control these peripherals whenever they want. Don't they belong to Zubov? Why are they allowed to just take these peripherals out and about to plot against Zubov?'

When the RI talks about information being "stolen", I assume it's not literally been taken away from them, the RI still has all the data, but they don't want anyone else to have a copy of it it. The problem is that bacteria don't simply die when the host dies. Killing herself serves no purpose in limiting the information spread. And anyway, limiting the information spreading is exactly what the RI wants. They're willing to set off a nuke to eliminate any last trace of the bacteria.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I mean I think we just have to take the show's word for it that exploding her head with a bullet takes care of the bacteria. Presumably they're like integrated into her DNA or whatever and can't just survive on their own outside. Otherwise the entire final episode would be nonsensical.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

TraderStav posted:

I thought it stubbed off of 2028? I had a hard time following exactly everything that was going on so appreciate the hand holding here as a non book reader.

I thought it stubbed off her stub that had started in 2028. I may have totally misunderstood the imagery though.

nooneofconsequence posted:

I'm surprised that was the finale. Felt way more like a penultimate episode.

I think it was trying to thread the needle between being a season and series finale.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

My general feeling after finishing this season: meh.

Production values are great, the acting is generally good, but the writing is atrocious. A lot of the characters are over the top cruel/evil. Main character is exceptional for some reason but there seemingly zero explanation or hints as to why the entire season. Maybe I missed it.

Haven’t read the book. Should I?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

John DiFool posted:

Production values are great, the acting is generally good, but the writing is atrocious. A lot of the characters are over the top cruel/evil. Main character is exceptional for some reason but there seemingly zero explanation or hints as to why the entire season. Maybe I missed it.

I haven't watched the last ep yet, but: Aside from the broad premise and the basics of some of the characters, the book is a *very* different story. I kind of get why they made some of the changes but to me it's not as effective as what we got in the novel.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If you like the setting, general concept, and the characters then read the book. It's a very different plot.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
How does this rank in the recent sci-fi shows ranking?

Severance being at the top obvs

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mr. Nemo posted:

How does this rank in the recent sci-fi shows ranking?

Severance being at the top obvs

It depends on how tolerant for YA stuff you are because that is 100% what this show feels like to me, "young person discovers a new world/whatever suddenly everything and everyone in that world revolves around them and everyone is obsessed with how cool they are for little to no reason."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Isn't the reason the narrative focuses on Flynne because she's really good at videogames? Like, that's the filter that separates her out from any other potential protagonist, and it's her skill, coupled with her relative disposability and ease of control, that makes her valuable to the faction that invests in her.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Otherwise the entire final episode would be nonsensical

:thunk:

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
nah gently caress the whole seperate copy paste stub bullshit, should have stuck to the telepresence themes and have conner remote control a 3d printed mech to stop the nuke. then building up to president flynne fisher cockblocking the RI from her stub

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

John DiFool posted:

the book is like, literally exponentially better. it's my second or third favorite book he's ever written, which is saying a LOT

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

it's a textbook case of less being more. this show didn't need a huge budget or romantic entanglements or really anything to be different at all from the book to be good. showing the neoprims and wilf dorking around and such is just a lot more interesting than another (3 more?) bombastic copy paste villain

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
With all the switching back and forth between all the stories, I got the two old white guy villains confused and was wondering why no one recognized the guy stuck on the bridge until I realized it was a different old white guy. They didn't really need two of them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I enjoyed the show up until the finale which kind of felt like they dropped the ball with the overly complicated plan. Flynne killing herself comes out of nowhere and doesn't feel like it was very well justified. It basically means nothing to the actual story since I don't think we're going to be seeing that stub again.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

The reveal that Flynne's piloting what is essentially a humanoid robot is way earlier than I remember from the book. Gripping show nonetheless

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

The reveal that Flynne's piloting what is essentially a humanoid robot is way earlier than I remember from the book. Gripping show nonetheless
Not only that: the show immediately tells you we're dealing with two different timelines because it puts the year on the screen when it shows London and again when it cuts to America, whereas in the book it takes you a little while to realize that America is in the past.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Not only that: the show immediately tells you we're dealing with two different timelines because it puts the year on the screen when it shows London and again when it cuts to America, whereas in the book it takes you a little while to realize that America is in the past.

they spoiled that in the marketing! can't avoid it i suppose

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

they spoiled that in the marketing! can't avoid it i suppose
Maybe. I didn't see any marketing so I wouldn't know. I guess it would be a little tough to keep secret, but I dunno. Just say it's a show set in the future where a woman from America is remote piloting a body in London and in doing so gets drawn into a conspiracy that threatens her family. If you don't mention there's time travel nobody would have to know, I would think!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In the book you think it's different dimensions or something at first, at least I did.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

precision posted:

In the book you think it's different dimensions or something at first, at least I did.

Well... technically it is (unless I misunderstood how the stubs function).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

keep punching joe posted:

Well... technically it is (unless I misunderstood how the stubs function).

True!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

precision posted:

It's been a while since I read the book but I remember just thinking that rural America was a loving dump compared to London in the future. Like, the reason London had all this fancy poo poo and rural America didn't was because one was London and the other was rural America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh yeah that's right, at first it just seems like London is fancy