Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I'm in the very early stages of planning a trip to Egypt with my dad. Kind of a bucket list present for him, but also something I've wanted to do. Neither my mom nor my wife are interested so it would just be father (73) & son (44) exploring ruins/museums/old towns for about a week.

I'm looking for a... let's call it "upscale" tour operator, because I don't think :agesilaus: true luxury :agesilaus: is in the cards. Still, I'm looking for a relaxed the kind of experience that wouldn't make my dad croak two days in because the tour is geared for 30-something hikers. Ideally a company that would handle tours, day trips, transportation. I know I'm describing boomer-style vacationing but... He's a boomer.

(he's also a former tour guide and hotel manager himself, and remains convinced that putting yourself in their hands is the best way to see things)

Some cursory searches show that most tour operators will have a few options to choose from, so I'm really looking for operator suggestions or even ideas on how to best search for them. My usual travel style is very much DIY, so I'm (ironically?) lost in this scenario. Giving up control over your trip is weird, but I think it's the best overall solution given that I'm not doing this only for myself.

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you both for the writeups and suggestions! I'll absolutely be using your lists as I plan this :3:

I'm leaning towards the 10-day trip as well, as I know it takes my dad at least two days to acclimate to time differences (we'd be going over from Texas). That said, I don't know whether he'd be up for all of those days to be full of activities, so I'll probably have to get him to list must-sees vs. would-be-nice sights. That might let us do "two days sightseeing / one day relaxing" kind of sequences over the entire trip.

(he's not in truly terrible shape, but he's also no spring chicken, so this is mostly me trying to make sure it's a balanced event rather than my dumbass "if you're not exhausted, you're not doing it right" approach)

re: cruise down the Nile: that might work, I'll look into them. I remember hearing that is an immensely popular and therefore overcrowded way to travel through Egypt but I fully expect that's just the case for all tourism in Egypt.

My desire for having a tour operator is to remove the car/bus/plane/guide scheduling as variables. I'm not opposed to doing the "have the hotel schedule tours" approach, especially if it gives us flexibility to choose hotels we want. It's the transportation between cities/sites that I don't particularly feel like managing.