Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

PAPERS, PLEASE

You can save a ton of dough by trading off between heat and food. At the end of the first day, deselect food to put that 20 bucks back in your pocket. Turn off the heat for the next day, back and forth, etc, etc. There weren't any obvious downsides, you can do this for most of the game.

There's an achievement for getting to Class 5 housing, but other than that the benefits are completely negligible. You'll save money on heat, but spend it on rent. Your family will get sick less often, but they don't get sick very often to begin with and the 5 credit cost for medicine is pretty easy to manage.

SUPER MARIO GALAXY

If you're stumped on a star, just pick a different world to explore. Usually, by the time you've collected 1-2 stars from every world in a planetarium, you'll have enough to unlock the Bowser level and then move to the next planetarium.

Lives mean very little, so don't be afraid to explore a bit (and possibly die.)

STAR OCEAN 2

Reset the game repeatedly until your main characte - ither Claude or Ren - as Dexterity. Play the game as normal until after Cross, when you have Celine and get the mission to go to the cave. Get Sensibility 1 and 2, from Cross and Herlie.
Level up until you can survive one battle in Lasguss, north of Cross, and then run around and level up there until you have 40000 fol, resting as often as you have t - ventually this will be easy, but don't progress with the plot until then. Sense 2 has playfulness on it, and leveling up perseverance to 10 and then playfulness to 10 gets you a grip of cash.
On your main dude, level up Courage and Poker Face until your Pickpocket skill is 9 or 10.
When you have the money, buy the Bandit Glove in Herlie. Save your game, then go into Clik BEFORE IT IS DESTROYED in a private action. Watch the event where Filia predicts the town's doom, and pickpocket her to get the Mischief. This accessory tosses crap at you the entire game, including cash and little trinkets that give you free levels. It is amazing and wonderful.
Then, go to Mars, and save outside. Go in in a PA again, and go to the east side of town, and pickpocket the Treasure Chest from the old man. This gives you three random items, and you can reset until you get, among other things, the Marvel Sword, which gives some ridiculous attack power and will carry you for a very long time.
At Lacour, be SURE to get to the very last round of the tournament, against Dias. Then, get the Sharp Edge after the battle with him from the dude who sponsored you. You can customize it with a mithril, and then the resulting crappy sword with another mithril to make the second strongest sword in the game, which also craps out an extra AE attack, which is utterly amazing.
Get Opera instead of Ashton. Do not even start or do anything related to Ashton, he is worthless. Use her Machinery skill until you make the White System, and learn Healing Star with it. Use it nonstop until you manage 999 proficiency in it. It heals far more, far more quickly, and for far less MP than any magic healer can do, with almost no effort, and lets you use Opera and 3 other good characters, instead of weighing your party down with Rena or some other caster, all of whom are worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Banjo-Kazooie

If your short term memory is bad like mine then it would behoove you to keep some paper and a pencil around. The game has lots of little puzzles and things that require pattern recognition.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Super Smash Bros: Brawl

quote:

Mid-air loving dodge.

Mario and Link? Nerfed. Game and Watch and Luigi? BETTER.

It helps to be selfish around big item drops, like from a party ball. If you want items, try and draw the person guarding them away, then circumventing them, smashing them away and jamming on the 'a' button.

Careful of fast attacks! Capt. Falcon's forward-B leaves you without a third jump, as does Meta-Knight's cyclone. Worse, Marth's final smash can actually launch you off the stage if you miss!

Unless you're great at timing PK Flash, Lucas is (sadly) better than Ness.

Don't pick New Pork City unless you want everyone to loving hate you. Electroplankton is a close second.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fungah! posted:

STAR OCEAN 2

Reset the game repeatedly until your main characte - ither Claude or Ren - as Dexterity. Play the game as normal until after Cross, when you have Celine and get the mission to go to the cave. Get Sensibility 1 and 2, from Cross and Herlie.
Level up until you can survive one battle in Lasguss, north of Cross, and then run around and level up there until you have 40000 fol, resting as often as you have t - ventually this will be easy, but don't progress with the plot until then. Sense 2 has playfulness on it, and leveling up perseverance to 10 and then playfulness to 10 gets you a grip of cash.
On your main dude, level up Courage and Poker Face until your Pickpocket skill is 9 or 10.
When you have the money, buy the Bandit Glove in Herlie. Save your game, then go into Clik BEFORE IT IS DESTROYED in a private action. Watch the event where Filia predicts the town's doom, and pickpocket her to get the Mischief. This accessory tosses crap at you the entire game, including cash and little trinkets that give you free levels. It is amazing and wonderful.
Then, go to Mars, and save outside. Go in in a PA again, and go to the east side of town, and pickpocket the Treasure Chest from the old man. This gives you three random items, and you can reset until you get, among other things, the Marvel Sword, which gives some ridiculous attack power and will carry you for a very long time.
At Lacour, be SURE to get to the very last round of the tournament, against Dias. Then, get the Sharp Edge after the battle with him from the dude who sponsored you. You can customize it with a mithril, and then the resulting crappy sword with another mithril to make the second strongest sword in the game, which also craps out an extra AE attack, which is utterly amazing.
Get Opera instead of Ashton. Do not even start or do anything related to Ashton, he is worthless. Use her Machinery skill until you make the White System, and learn Healing Star with it. Use it nonstop until you manage 999 proficiency in it. It heals far more, far more quickly, and for far less MP than any magic healer can do, with almost no effort, and lets you use Opera and 3 other good characters, instead of weighing your party down with Rena or some other caster, all of whom are worthless.

this is good advice

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Arcanum

Beauty is a little useless, since you can excel as an intelligent ugly person, but not as a beautiful idiot.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quake III: Arena
  • In close combat, the shotgun can be your friend.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Team Fortress 2

The Heavy, while perhaps the most memeable of the cast, is actually quite a good starting point for a new player. Partnered up with the tech savvy Medic, this duo can easily dominate the battle field. Just make sure you're running up to date YaegerKillerz bot client to ensure your initial stunna shades drop, as well as working a sizeable chunk out of your Portal 2 diaper hat (account bound).

And the last, most important thing: hit your boy up for 8 hour 2fort bot scrims.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Castlevania 2
Don't bother playing this game without a guide. The puzzles and townspeople really are as confusing as everybody says. I use DKW's Gamefaqs guide.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Team Fortress 2

The Heavy, while perhaps the most memeable of the cast, is actually quite a good starting point for a new player. Partnered up with the tech savvy Medic, this duo can easily dominate the battle field. Just make sure you're running up to date YaegerKillerz bot client to ensure your initial stunna shades drop, as well as working a sizeable chunk out of your Portal 2 diaper hat (account bound).

And the last, most important thing: hit your boy up for 8 hour 2fort bot scrims.

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

mbt posted:

Arcanum

Beauty is a little useless, since you can excel as an intelligent ugly person, but not as a beautiful idiot.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Quake III: Arena
  • In close combat, the shotgun can be your friend.

[Master Miller voice]

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Team Fortress 2

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EURO TRUCK SIMULATOR 2
If ever you find yourself passing cars, slow down. You've likely missed a speed limit decrease, and the fine for speeding is one of the biggest. (In the event it's not a speed limit change, slowing down still helps you avoid whatever slowed that car down)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

[Master Miller voice]

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Silent Hill 2

If you bump into a guy with a steel contraption on his head wielding a giant sword, it's a good idea to run and don't stop.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Team Fortress 2

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Binding of Isaac

quote:

"Soy Milk" is loving terrible 99% of the time. Opinion is divided whether thats a bug or deliberate.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Doom

quote:

To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot it until it dies.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

[Master Miller voice]

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lol at the Daikatana page starting off with "Don't play this turd. Seriously, it's just as bad as everyone says." and then continuing on with the most tips i've seen for a game so far

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Castlevania 2
Don't bother playing this game without a guide. The puzzles and townspeople really are as confusing as everybody says. I use DKW's Gamefaqs guide.

lmao

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Sonic Adventure
Most stages are composed of linear paths where you can just ignore everything and keep holding forward

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Hotline Miami

Read the newspapers since a lot of people missed out that it takes place in an alternate time-line US.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Bugsnax

Generally when you get a quest asking to feed a Gromp a specific Bugsnax that can be broken down into smaller parts (eg; Big Bopsicle), any of the smaller parts are "valid" for that even if it's one like the Picantis or Snoopy Banoopy that break down into multiple regular Bugsnax rather than partial/mini versions of the original.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Painkiller
Bunnyhop EVERYWHERE

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Plebian Parasite posted:

Bugsnax

Generally when you get a quest asking to feed a Gromp a specific Bugsnax that can be broken down into smaller parts (eg; Big Bopsicle), any of the smaller parts are "valid" for that even if it's one like the Picantis or Snoopy Banoopy that break down into multiple regular Bugsnax rather than partial/mini versions of the original.

this is a crime

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
SUPER MARIO BROS.

You can't go left, ever, so don't try.

There's nothing at the bottom of any of the pits in Worlds 1-1 and 1-2 except death (believe me, I checked!). Early results from World 1-3 are the same but there's a lot more of them, will keep this page updated.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

[Master Miller voice]

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don’t understand what me being a 700 pound white loser has to do with how easily you can beat the Annealed Monosoul if you just pick up the drake tail tulwar.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

big feels

FANTASY LIFE

For all intents and purposes: "life" = "job"

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I don’t understand what me being a 700 pound white loser has to do with how easily you can beat the Annealed Monosoul if you just pick up the drake tail tulwar.

lol

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON

Always build Information Kiosks first - if you don't have them, that's your #1 priority for research
Then build Shuttle Loop coasters with On-Ride Photo sections and watch the money roll in

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

this.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

Arcanum

lol

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 91 days!

Fungah! posted:

big feels

FANTASY LIFE

For all intents and purposes: "life" = "job"

gently caress

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Sometimes the owl will talk forever and then ask "would you like me to repeat all of that?" and the default answer will be "yes" instead of "no", and I think sometimes the default is "no" or the question is worded differently. So pay close attention so you don't start him up again unintentionally.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Sometimes the owl will talk forever and then ask "would you like me to repeat all of that?" and the default answer will be "yes" instead of "no", and I think sometimes the default is "no" or the question is worded differently. So pay close attention so you don't start him up again unintentionally.

lol

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

and if i die before i play, i pray to Gaben my file to save

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Suikoden V
  • Don't give anything important to Georg. The bastard wanders off several times, for hours at a time.

• Don't give anything valuable to Sialeeds either. Just loving trust me.

• Use a guide unless you're really keen on wandering around talking to everyone you can access at every point in the game. And even then missing the good ending because you answered a question incorrectly at some point.