Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Leaning towards Morality and Utility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm going to go with Full Utility.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Jade Rider posted:

Let's go with Morality and Liberty.

Yeah cool, where plenty of games force you to play a person with strong principles and ethics this time we choose this willingly.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I will also vote for a focus of Morality and Utility.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Checked out the demo for this game when it came out and never got around to trying it out more, so this'll be interesting, eager to see what happens.

I say go whole hog into Utility

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'm all for Morality and Liberty.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

If I were playing I'd try to balance all three so that's my vote.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I always go Chaotic Good in games, so I vote Full Utility

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I vote Full Utility since the other two seem like Default Protagonist Personality.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Liberty and utility

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Slaan posted:

Liberty and utility

This. I like characters trying to do right, but aren't so good at it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
All Three

Not to spoil anything but focusing on one thing over the others limits vote choices later in the game, so in the interest of the thread having the most options possible for votes when they occur I'd recommend this.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Morality, I feel like a lot of LP's decide to go for comical levels of evil simply to buck the game's expectations, so for once I'd like to see an actual good protagonist. :v:

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Personally, I would go with primarily Morality because... I mean, why wouldn't you choose to do the right thing when you have a choice? Being selfish for the sole purpose of being selfish is boring in its own way.

That being said, I feel like Natural 20 has a point here.

Balance the scales to maximize our ability to make the important choices later on.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PurpleXVI posted:

Morality, I feel like a lot of LP's decide to go for comical levels of evil simply to buck the game's expectations, so for once I'd like to see an actual good protagonist. :v:

Morality, for this reason. gently caress grimdark bullshit.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I'm actually curious how grimdark it actually gets; I'm not terribly far in the game but as far as I've played all the major choices have pretty well justified arguments on all sides.

But I'm also a softy so Morality

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I did find the conviction names to be interesting when I thought about it.

What's interesting is how Utility is framed as different from Morality even though Utilitarian frameworks are just an attempt codify and understand Morality.

And Liberty is much more of a consequence in Moral decisions that we make in life.

I do think perhaps you can codify Utility in the same way, as in an increase in utility is a consequence of Moral decisions we make.

But that basically just circles back to Morality just not feeling like the correct word to describe what I think the game wants with it. I suppose "Kantian ethics" would be a truer but also far more ridiculous and less snappy descriptor.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Liberty because sometimes being moral means doing something immoral, so you should really keep your options open.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Natural 20 posted:

I did find the conviction names to be interesting when I thought about it.

What's interesting is how Utility is framed as different from Morality even though Utilitarian frameworks are just an attempt codify and understand Morality.

And Liberty is much more of a consequence in Moral decisions that we make in life.

I do think perhaps you can codify Utility in the same way, as in an increase in utility is a consequence of Moral decisions we make.

But that basically just circles back to Morality just not feeling like the correct word to describe what I think the game wants with it. I suppose "Kantian ethics" would be a truer but also far more ridiculous and less snappy descriptor.

I don't think the terms used are referring to philosophical principles; particularly, I don't think Utility refers to Utilitarianism any more than it does to plumbing, gas, and power utilities.

Liberty is pretty obvious what it's about.
Morality is probably concerned with pointedly avoiding immoral actions; maintaining "clean hands" as it were (as opposed to Liberty which is probably willing to do unsavory things for the sake of achieving freedom).
Utility is personal utility; what benefits me.

give me Liberty, or give me Morality!

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I'm generally a fan of characters who perform a mix of Morality and Liberty, because sometimes our code doesn't account for edge cases and we need to be willing to have some flexibility to handle problems.

I think that Nat20 is right that Morality isn't quite the right word to describe this category though. Seems like it'd be better to say Honor or Steadfastness to describe adherence to a moral code that might end up resulting in us leaving opportunities on the table if they clash with our beliefs. I haven't actually played this game, mind you. I'm just assuming that'll be the roadblock to going full Morality.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Cythereal posted:

I wasn't specifically thinking grimdark, though, more like the comical potential inherent in, say, Ultima's Avatar, stealing everything that isn't nailed down and making a fortune by running a scam on the blind.

Though yeah in a game like this I would absolutely expect the "Utility" option to get super grimdark, like "how many pentagrams painted in PoW blood do we need to gain demonic power"-grimdark.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I'm curious to see how the game would handle Morality and Utility being emphasized, so there my votes shall lay.

I'd probably go for liberty and morality were I actually playing for myself, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Give me Liberty or give me death!

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

quote:

Not to spoil anything but focusing on one thing over the others limits vote choices later in the game, so in the interest of the thread having the most options possible for votes when they occur I'd recommend this.

I will counter this by saying that this game has a pretty robust NG+ mode, and it's absolutely not intended for you to understand the game structure until having at least done one run. So just going with your gut and letting the choices play where they stand is very intended, rather than trying to keep yourself open (I argue that the game actually suffers a bit if you try to be too open for metagamey reasons).

In any case, Liberty or Utility for me.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Serenoa is clearly big on morality.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

AncientSpark posted:

I will counter this by saying that this game has a pretty robust NG+ mode, and it's absolutely not intended for you to understand the game structure until having at least done one run.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking of. Playthrough 1, we just go where The People’s choices lead us, and then latter ones will be planned out to show what was missed.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AncientSpark posted:

I will counter this by saying that this game has a pretty robust NG+ mode, and it's absolutely not intended for you to understand the game structure until having at least done one run. So just going with your gut and letting the choices play where they stand is very intended, rather than trying to keep yourself open (I argue that the game actually suffers a bit if you try to be too open for metagamey reasons).

In any case, Liberty or Utility for me.

Oh absolutely, it's more that some people found when they played that being locked out of choices they wanted to make because of incidental dialogue answers to be a frustrating experience and I'd seek to mitigate that.

Especially given how diverse the thread in its opinions already.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Gonna pitch Liberty and Morality for a first run.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think it would be interesting to see a hero balance Morality and Utility

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Morality and Utility seems like the funniest combo

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I think it would be interesting to see a hero balance Morality and Utility

Agree with this.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cythereal posted:

This game seems to draw pretty heavily from tactics Ogre, which had ome of the best evil route stories in a game ever and I wouldn't exactly call it grimdark.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

NullBlack posted:

I don't think the terms used are referring to philosophical principles; particularly, I don't think Utility refers to Utilitarianism any more than it does to plumbing, gas, and power utilities.

I can confirm that Utility is utilitarianism, or rather: "what produces the best outcome when you add up the total happiness of everyone, even if it's possibly cold-blooded in the moment"?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Natural 20 posted:

All Three

Yea this. Balance the Scales, as best you are able.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Yeah, I agree. Let's balance the scales

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Willing to change my vote to Balance.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Changing my vote. Balance it!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Tossing my hat in with Morality and Liberty

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Balance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Liberty and Utility. I'm curious what a combination of those two will look like.