Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I know sod all about this game, but I always favour, both in LPs and my own games, the path that shows off the most content. If that be balance, then balance be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Torrannor posted:

Liberty and Utility. I'm curious what a combination of those two will look like.

Hopefully something like the law route

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Update 4: Side Story 1 and More

Okay, by my count, it looks like Balance has just barely squeaked ahead of Morality/Liberty. I’ll take that into account from now on. Thankfully, this update doesn’t have any decisions to make.

Instead of immediately following our protagonists, we’ll be popping over to Whiteholm Castle for our first side story.

We come in on a bridge just outside of the castle, where a group of people are grumbling about Roland.

I swear, it is as if the boy exists to drive us mad.
He is an embarrassment to our family ...No matter. I will see to matters myself.

From the other end of the bridge, another man approaches.

Your honored guests have arrived Your Highness.
I see new faces among them. I trust you can tell me more. Clarus?
But of course, Your Highness.

The camera moves further back on the bridge as a group of Aesfrostis walk up.

Her prowess in battle is such that some say she is the second coming of Groma lronfist, hero of the Saltiron War. If the rumors of her strength are true. she is more likely to emerge victorious than any but the Dawnspear himself.

Following behind them are some Hyzantians.

He is the newest appointee to the Saintly Seven. and has been placed in charge of the military and diplomatic affairs. 'Tis a rise to prominence nigh unheard-of for one so young.
A general of the Grand Duchy and Hyzante's young hope... I imagine this will not be the last I hear of them.

Just so, my lord. As you doubtless know, he is the Holy State's Minister of Salt. A prestigious position. though it is said he feels threatened by Minister Exharme of late...
So even the great monolith that is the Holy State is not immune to internal strife... Thank you, Clarus. I can see they were not wrong to tap you to lead the Consortium.
As the officially appointed bookmaker for the tournament. it would not do for me to be ignorant of the combatants.

They will be joining the festivities in Archduke Gustadoph's stead.
Word has it that Lord Thalas has been appointed prime minister. Which would make him the second most influential individual in all of Aesfrost.
Archduke Gustadolph is said to prize freedom more than anything. it would seem that includes the freedom to put his own family above all.
With all due respect. Your Highness. the decisions of another nation are their own. Do take care not to say anything that might offend our new allies.
You need not remind me, Patriatte. I know there is little to be gained from quarreling with Aesfrost's ruling family.

The delegations meet at the end of the bridge.

Honored guests. I am Frani, Crown Prince of Glenbrook. It is an honor to welcome you to our kingdom in my father's stead. I can assure you we have spared no effort in preparing for tomorrow's festivities. Let us ring in this new age of alliance together. Though I imagine some may be too occupied awing us with their prowess in the tourney to enjoy the revelry themselves.

The visitors file in behind Frani and leave as the scene fades out.

But we’re not done quite yet. Instead, we pop over to the castle gardens.

Where Roland is trying to sneak back in without being noticed.

And doing so poorly, it seems.

At ease, Hughette. I trust all was well in my absence.
Well enough. Another visit to the Wolffort demesne. was it?
Indeed, on minor business. My apologies for leaving unannounced.

At that, Hughette’s entire sprite shakes.

Apologies, indeed. You know full well that I am under strict orders from your father to accompany you on any excursions outside the castle.
I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. Besides. no one would lose any sleep it something happened to me—Father and Frani least of all. Even Cordelia would get along perfectly fine without her brother.
Well, I would not! Or have you forgotten that you are my one and only sworn liege?
Hughette... Forgive me...truly, it won't happen again.
...I should hope not.

How did you—!?
His Grace told me, when he commanded me to keep you out of trouble.
Tch. So Father knew all along.

...As you wish.

And the scene fades out as Roland shrugs.

Next, we’ll head back to Castle Wolffort,

Where we’re greeted in the great hall.

Were there any troubles while we were out?
None to speak of. Aside from Erador, here... but what else is new?

Speaking of.

Benedict shakes his head as the man rushes down the stairs.

Or can't you see that it was that big mouth of yours that invited trouble in the first place?
There is no cause for concern. Erador. Besides, I'm not a child anymore.
Mayhap not. my lord. But I‘ve known ye since ye were knee-high to a—er, never ye mind.

!

I am Frederica. It is a pleasure and honor to meet you all.
And I am Geela. her attendant. Pleased to make your acquaintance.
Allow me to introduce those in service of House Wolffort. This is Erador, master-at-arms and commander of our military forces.

And this is Anna, my right hand.
If you require anything, just say the word.
They may not be of my blood. but they are my family just the same—and from this day on, they are your family as well.
I am aware that in all of Glenbrook. House Wolffort is second only to the royal family in power and influence. I will do my best not to disappoint you.

...His voice certainly does carry.
Sorry, milady. but ye'll have to get used to it!

Everyone but Benedict and Anna laugh.

My lord, your father awaits you in his chambers. As for me. I must stay and discuss the preparations for tomorrow's festivities with Anna and Erador.
Lady Frederica. pray come with me. Father is expecting us.

And with that, our band grows even further. Serenoa, Frederica, and Geela then head off while the other three stay behind.

The ceremony to commemorate the joint mining venture?
Still can't believe I'll be seein' the day when we break ground on a new mine right here in Glenbrook—an' with the full support of Aesfrost and Hyzante, no less!
You can thank King Regna for that. It was by his most wise and generous proposal that the three nations of Norzelia now strive toward a common goal. Needless to say. delegates from each nation will be joining in the festivities.
From the Grand Duchy of Aesfrost. Lord Dragan Aesfrost. who is overseeing the technical side of the mining operations. The Holy State of Hyzante will be represented by Minister Lyla Viscraft of the Saintly Seven. ...And our own Lord Symon will serve as Glenbrook's delegate. and meet with the two before the ceremony. Yes?
Quite so. After that. it will be House Wolffort's responsibility to see that our honored guests feel welcome. Anna, I would trust you safeguarding both Lord Dragan and Minister Lyla.
Consider it done.

Ah. my blood's already rushin' just envisionin' the greatest warriors from all the realm clashin' swords!
From Aesfrost. the much-renowned General Avlora... And from Hyzante. Minister Exharme Marcial. l have heard much of his prowess as well.
Then, o' course there's our reignin' victor—the pride of Glenbrook. Ser Maxwell the Dawnspear! Still. I wish 'em all the best o' luck against their hosts! They'll need it to beat House Wolffort!
On that matter. there are two things I should make clear. Prince Roland has expressed a desire to join the tourney as a member of House Wolffort's contingent.
Why would the boy want to fight with us and not his own armsmaster?
Apparently. he originally formally requested to do just that. but King Regna would not allow it.
An' so he came to the young lord in hopes of findin' another way in... Well. he's more than welcome in my book! The royal family said we're free to put together our own contingent. after all. I reckon His Majesty would be beside himself with joy if we could deliver a beatin' to Aesfrost and Hyzante.
...Doubtless so. Very well—l shall inform the prince that he is welcome in our ranks.
Finally, there is the matter of Lord Symon's health.
Indeed. Sadly. the lord of the house is in no condition to participate in the tourney. Barring some miracle. I anticipate that Lord Serenoa will have to fight in his lord father's stead.
Lord Symon... l s'pose age takes its toll on even the mightiest of men… So be it. then. Ye can leave watchin' over the young lord and Prince Roland t' me.
Good. I remind you that while this is a joyous occasion, all of our attendees have their own reasons for coming. Let us not give them an opportunity to catch us unaware.

After that, we rejoin Serenoa and Frederica.

A pleasure to meet you. my lord. I am Frederica of House Aesfrost.
Oho! The pleasure is all mine.
Were it not for the efforts of House Wolffort, the Saltiron War would rage on still today. I do not deserve the honor of joining your esteemed family. but I will endeavor to serve you all the same.

You are tired from your journey. I am sure. Pray rest easy tonight.
Thank you. my lord. I believe that in any journey, the first step is the most important. Before we go forward together, I should like to know why you chose to welcome one of Rosellan blood. such as l.
Oho...l'd heard you were a strong-willed one.
Pray forgive my insolence. And yet. I am set to marry into a mighty house of a foreign nation... I should like to know what you wish of me. that I might live up to your expectations.
A most reasonable request. Both of you, listen well.
Yes, father.

To give us more leverage against Hyzante, with their monopoly over salt?
...Precisely. With Glenbrook and Aesfrost consolidating their power. Hyzante was left with little choice but to join the alliance. And yet, while Lady Frederica is indeed the archduke's sister, at the same time she is the daughter of a Rosellan concubine. And House Wolffort. for all our military prowess. is no more than a bannerman of the king. If the aim was to forge the strongest bond we could between our two nations...
...It would be far more appropriate for my sister. Lady Erika. to wed the crown prince of Glenbrook.
Just so. Yet neither nation chose that. And do you know why?
… So that if relations between our two countries were to take a turn for the worse...
...We could be cast away like pawns.
Precisely. Such are the schemes of those who rule nations.

Frederica shudders at the thought.

...I understand now. And yet. no matter how impure the intentions behind this arrangement may be. I will not bring dishonor to the Wolffort name.
Well said. my son. If that is your decision, then—

There’s a heartbeat sound and Lord Symon collapses.

Father!
Lord Symon!
I am an old man. and my health is not what it once was. For this reason and more. I have made my decision.

You will serve in my stead from tomorrow forth. my son.
But Father! I am not ready to—
My decision is not made lightly. You have already shown me—with your words and your deeds—that you are more than ready. Think always about what your subjects need from you, weigh your choices carefully. then take action. Do so, and I have no doubt you will make a great lord. And trust in Benedict—he shall serve you as well as he did me.
Thank you, Father. I will spare no effort. that one day I may be as beloved by our people as you.

Even so. I hope that you will be there to support my son through it all—as his wife, but also as your own person. This is House Wolffort's entreaty...and the wish of a father.
Of course, my lord. 'Twas my intention from the moment I boarded the ship.

There’s a knocking at the door and a servant enters.

Very well. Presiding over tonight's banquet will be my final duty as lord of the house. Tomorrow's ceremony will mark the beginning of yours, my son. And after that will be your wedding. Rest well tonight, both of you, for busy days lie ahead.

The scene fades out as Lord Symon laughs.

And we have reached the end of the first chapter.

OOrochi fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 28, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Dad just gave us a short and sharp lesson in realpolitik.:kstarehair:

Of course since this is a fighting game one would assume that this new alliance will be tested, though none of the characters we met so far seems like a villain.
I hope we get to see some quality writing in this JRPG for a change.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

By popular demand posted:

Of course since this is a fighting game one would assume that this new alliance will be tested, though none of the characters we met so far seems like a villain.

among the party members, or are you including the NPCs as well?

we're completely trustworthy!
I model for toothpaste ads.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Now you're prejudging people for their unfortunate facial tics!

I'd appreciate the game a lot more if those two turn out to be innocent

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Look, he's grinning like that because he just had a great idea for how to decorate the cake he's going to bake for his niece's 6th birthday party. I don't know why you would assume otherwise.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I do appreciate that Serenoa and Frederica are both shown to be reasonably intelligent and politically savvy, even if it's a fairly obvious situation they're using to showcase it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

A rictus grin is a known symptom of tetanus, I hope they get checked.
:ohdear:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
So there's a particular territory that has a monopoly on salt, eh? That's quite a gold mine in a medieval context. I imagine that quite a few folks are angling to take control of that.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Oh yeah, the game equating the worth of salt to the material that shields and arms are made of is quite a realistic take.I
And of course both of those resources are not moving the economy nearly as much without river transport.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Oh yeah, the game equating the worth of salt to the material that shields and arms are made of is quite a realistic take.I
And of course both of those resources are not moving the economy nearly as much without river transport.

Well yeah, that's our intro setup. Everyone has a vitally required resource the other two countries need so there's this generally peaceful diplomacy happening between the three.

And also the quiet undercurrent of exactly what happens when someone finds a way to acquire one of those resources without relying on one of the other two.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
You seem to be having trouble identifying commas from periods from context.
There's also this typo:

OOrochi posted:

He is the newest appointee lo the Saintly Seven. and has been placed in charge of the military and diplomatic affairs.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Delphisage posted:

You seem to be having trouble identifying commas from periods from context.
There's also this typo:

Ah yeah, the OCR tool I'm using isn't 100% perfect, and I definitely haven't caught all of its missteps, especially with periods vs commas. Thank you for pointing the misspelling, I'll correct that as well.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's a refreshing change that the teenage protagonist becomes a ruler not through the death of their parents, but because of his father abdicating/retiring. Unless the party turns out deadly, which is always possible in these kind of games.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I do wish for a Red Wedding in my plot driven RPGs once in a while, but I don't get that feeling from any JRPG.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

I do wish for a Red Wedding in my plot driven RPGs once in a while, but I don't get that feeling from any JRPG.

After the wedding in Lufia 2, the bride and groom go out and slaughter invading monsters. Does that count?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Unless the monsters in question have a well developed back story, family, hopes and dreams then no.
Thems the rules: only lives with personhood count.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 29, 2022

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Does the ethnic cleansing false flag in Tactics Ogre count?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

NullBlack posted:

among the party members, or are you including the NPCs as well?

we're completely trustworthy!
I model for toothpaste ads.
I´m sure that these fine and upstanding lads will turn out to be quite trustworthy and not be sharpening knives behind our backs.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 5: To Arms, Brave Warriors

Welcome back! To start off the new chapter, we’re treated to another bit of narration.

With that, the narration ends and the new chapter begins.

As we zoom into Castle Wolffort, chits from both Aesfrost and Hyzante arrive.

Allow me to express my gratitude to the Holy State. Were it not for your nation's generous efforts, this venture would never have come to fruition.
You are too kind, Lord Symon. You, too, have served an invaluable role in this. Though I must admit...the news of the union between your son and Lady Frederica came as quite the surprise. None in Hyzante considered that a bannerman of Glenbrook would join with the ruling family of Aesfrost... I hear that Lady Frederica is the archduke's half sister. I must ask... How did this arrangement come to be?
Your curiosity is only natural. This union was promised during the war—an arrangement made with the previous archduke. Truth be told, I am surprised one as well informed as yourself did not already know.
And this is your son? As I recall...
Serenoa Wolffort. At your service, Minister.
And I am Frederica Aesfrost.
My son still has much to learn, but I believe this marriage will herald a bright future for us all. For today, I intend to step down, and leave House Wolffort in Serenoa‘s capable hands.
You're abdicating your position? Surprising news comes in pairs, I see. Nonetheless, I am happy for you both. I imagine the lords and ladies at tonight's banquet will take great interest in the new Lord Wolffort...as will I.

Serenoa seems distressed.

Ahahaha! Pray go easy on the boy, my lady.
I hear that young Lord Dragan of Aesfrost shall also be in attendance?
Indeed. He has been appointed to oversee operations at the Grand Norzelian Mines. I understand his star in Aesfrost has seen a meteoric rise.
Good. I would like to hear more of this new explosive substance he means to use to blast the tunnels. As a fellow scholar of sorts—if in a different field—I am always curious to learn how great discoveries are made.

Symon looks around for a moment before being confused.

He should have arrived by now. Has anyone seen him?
Dragan's gone to see the city. He was halfway there before the gangplank landed on the docks.
...Ah. He is your cousin, yes? I see we share an innate curiosity for new places.
The banquet will begin soon. I shall seek him out and escort him there.
Very good. Though I will host tonight's festivities, I want you to act as if you are already lord of the house. Our guests are the most esteemed personages of their respective nations. Take care not to cause offense.
Of course, Father.

And the scene fades out as Benedict starts talking with Minister Lyla.

We next follow Serenoa out to the castle town and begin our first exploration phase. These will happen periodically, and in them we’ll be able to walk around an area, talk with NPCs, find items, and do a number of other things.

Right now, most of the non-named NPCs will say something like this, along the lines of being excited for the ceremony, Serenoa’s upcoming wedding, or just how peaceful things have been since the Saltiron War.

Unsurprisingly, the named NPCs and party members often have a bit more interesting things to say.

Combining the expertise and manpower of Norzelia's three nations, this mine will unearth the newly discovered vein of iron. We hope this will prove beneficial for all parties. providing wealth and prosperity in equal measure. It is said Lord Dragan's knowledge of ironworking is peerless. I could think of none more suited to oversee the mine's development.

That said, besides Benedict, this time most people are still just excited for the events.

Just beyond Benedict is our first item. I won’t go and show where all of them are, but you can generally find them by looking for sparkles on the map. Looking around this area, we’ll find 3 HP Recovery Pellets and just under 500 coins.

We can also go inside the homes. Inside them we’ll find another HP Recovery pellet, and one home in the northwest of the area has a different colored sparkle than the others.

The blue sparkles signify notes. Notes give background information on the world, but don’t have any tangible effects on gameplay.

The final thing of note in this exploration phase are these green marks above some characters. These signify more conviction choices. They’re not all relevant to the story, but still provide a good chance to give Serenoa a bit more characterization. Here we’ll start with Frederica’s.

Still, I suppose this is a chance to become acquainted with my future home. How would you describe your town. Serenoa?

To know a town, you must take time to relish her company. That's what Erador told me, in perhaps more colorful words.
I haven't known Erador for long, but those words are undeniably his. Perhaps I ought to take a page out of his book as I've done regrettably little relishing since I arrived...
You needn't push yourself, Frederica. Time is something we do not lack. Once matters have settled, I will give you a tour of Wolffort myself.
Thank you, Serenoa. I very much look forward to that.

And then we’ll move on to a slightly less important one.

Ah, one of my favorite games. Barrels were always my favorite places to hide.

Child: Barrels! I would’ve never thought of that, milord! Hehe, they’ll never find me now!
I speak from experience—they won't. However, there may be even better hiding places to be found around town.

Child: ...You're right, milord. I'll find a hidin' place no one's ever thought of before!

After that bit of levity, we’ll go find the person we’re actually meant to talk to, Lord Dragan.

This town is prosperous, and its people have faith in their lord. An impressive achievement, by my experience.
You are too kind, Lord Dragan.
Ah, my apologies, but you are...?
The apology should be mine. I'm Serenoa Wolffort. I've come to remind you to return to the castle before the banquet begins. Certain parties were quite insistent.
Of course. I appreciate the consideration. I would like to explore the town a while longer, but rest assured I shall be punctual in my arrival.

After speaking with Dragan, we’re free to head back to the castle. One nice touch is that, as far as I can remember while writing this, there is no instance where an exploration phase is forcibly ended. You’re allowed as much time as you want to search around and dig through every nook and cranny if you want to. However, we are done now, and so will head back.

Serenoa and Frederica are deep in conversation with Lyla when Dragan comes over.

I thank you for your hospitality today, Lord Serenoa.
Think nothing of it. Did you enjoy the city, Lord Dragan?
Quite. Its people are full of life and love for their lord. That says all I need to know about House Wolffort.
You honor us with your words.
I am only being frank. Frederica is the sister of the archduke, after all, and my cousin besides. I would not see her marry into an unworthy house. Suffice to say my expectations were exceeded.
I have heard much of your ingenious contributions to the mining efforts. I sense prosperous days are ahead of us.
As do I. Finally, our nations enter into an age unfettered by war. With Aesfrost's iron, Hyzante's salt, and Glenbrook's mediation, there is no limit to what we can achieve. We must regard each other as equals, and forge mutually beneficial relationships.

At that, the upbeat music instantly cuts out, and a new, more sinister song starts playing.

I need not imply anything. The salt tax you claim makes my case more than clear.
Bold words from one so young. Is that how peers speak to one another?
Perhaps the young ones, yes. What do you think, Lord Serenoa?
Dissatisfaction with the salt tax was one cause of the war, was it not?
"Salt is a divine boon—a gift from the Goddess to Her true believers.” This is the foundation of the Teachings that guide us in Hyzante. By allying with Aesfrost, do you mean to gainsay our most fundamental beliefs?
Of course not, Minister. We understand that the Source is Norzelia's sole supply of salt. And we would not deny that it is the Holy State's right to harvest and tax it as you see fit.
Thank you for acknowledging that. Though it strikes me that your words are measured...
You needn't be so noncommittal, Lord Serenoa. It is only reasonable that the three of us have differing opinions on the matter. However, that is all the more reason for us to be open to frank discussion.
…..

Before Serenoa can say more, Lord Symon steps in.

We of House Wolffort are but simple warriors. I am afraid matters of finance and politics do not come to us naturally. This, however, I can say: we will fight injustice and tyranny wheresoever it may be. Of course, we do not enjoy conflict. Still, we will not hesitate to defend our land and our people should the need arise. No matter how mighty the threat, we will fight for home and kingdom.
Yes, Lord Symon. Of that, we are keenly aware.
I apologize if I spoke out of turn. But the fact remains that as every winter passes, the tension between our nations grows. And salt is the cause. The common folk have all but forgotten its taste. I simply want to ease their suffering.
The Ministry I oversee is committed to the preservation of life. I personally believe that salt should not be a luxury reserved for the privileged few. All those who live require it, not just those lucky enough to be born within the borders of our Holy State.
You...agree with me, then?
How I feel matters little. In Hyzante, the word of the Goddess—as conveyed to us from the lips of the hierophant—is absolute. But perhaps this joint mining venture of yours may lead to the change you seek.
Indeed. We must set our gazes to the future. All of us. I expect you will be the ones to usher us into a new era.
Yes, Father...

The scene fades out and head back to the world map. There is more to do at Castle Wolffort, but we’ll start next time with another side story over at Whiteholm Castle first.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The banquet starts with some tension between the sovereign powers but with hope on everyone's mind.
The two lords we conversed with seem well aware both that politics is merely war by other means but also that a war averted is a war won.
Young Serenoa of course still has a lot to learn about diplomacy and the oratory arts.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've had the game less than a year, but I remember being so excited by the first Exploration Phase. It's so rare to be able to wander around like that in a strategy RPG and is my big issue with the genre as a whole

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Are there any significant missables in the Exploration Phases?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Delphisage posted:

The conviction choices and the notes are the big things, but there's also some other opportunities later that can't necessarily be returned to.

Generally speaking, you should treat each Exploration phase as non-returnable, so it's a good idea to comb every inch before windmill-slamming the advance button. Thankfully they're usually not super huge.

I do really love how the HD2D artstyle gets to play here. Going in the homes especially gives it a fun little diorama feel, which ties in very nicely to the overworld looking more like a military map.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's a few important things that you might want to look ahead for and keep in the back of your mind, but for the most part it's consumables

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've had the game less than a year, but I remember being so excited by the first Exploration Phase. It's so rare to be able to wander around like that in a strategy RPG and is my big issue with the genre as a whole

It's also a neat way to let the player familiarize themself with a map's terrain and other quirks in a low stakes context, before thrusting them into combat. Not every battle map gives you an opportunity to explore it beforehand, but the exceptions are few and far between.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Is 'salt' in the context some kind of stand-in for something else, like bananas for opium in FFL2, and/or is there some double meaning here that I am missing? A lot seems to be being made of something fairly mundane. I know that salt was hugely important as a preservative in medieval~ish times, but it still seems to be overplayed so far. Is it some kind of oblique analogy to saltpeter/gunpowder?

Torrannor posted:

It's a refreshing change that the teenage protagonist becomes a ruler not through the death of their parents, but because of his father abdicating/retiring. Unless the party turns out deadly, which is always possible in these kind of games.

I would like it if the father stuck around and was an advisor and emotional support to the protagonist, but we both know that that won't happen.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

They just talked about a completely new explosive powder that will be used for mining, salt is just salt.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Salt being a preservative means food can move further from the source and still be good. In the days before refrigerator trucks this translates to being able to feed a bigger territory and weild the economic power that brings and it also enables bigger armies that can travel farther afield before needing to secure a new supply source.

It's no superweapon, but it was pretty darn important back in the day.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Delphisage posted:

People have mostly covered it. It's mostly consumables, background lore, and every once in a while an accessory.

The only real unmentioned bit is that occasionally there will be a shop with a separate set of items than the normal ones. They won't have any fully unique items, but they can have cheaper accessories or extra copies of upgrade materials that would otherwise be a bit harder to find.

JustJeff88 posted:

Is 'salt' in the context some kind of stand-in for something else, like bananas for opium in FFL2, and/or is there some double meaning here that I am missing? A lot seems to be being made of something fairly mundane. I know that salt was hugely important as a preservative in medieval~ish times, but it still seems to be overplayed so far. Is it some kind of oblique analogy to saltpeter/gunpowder?

Nope, just salt. In addition to its use as a preservative, agricultural diets generally don't have enough salt in them by default, so it was a necessary supplement for lots of people to survive before the modern era. There's a big reason why half of the wikipedia page on salt is about its impact on human civilization.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Also read about Gandhi's Salt March, salt was still used as a political tool until quite recently.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hyzante also controls the only known source of salt on the continent. The other nations can't survive without it, as it's needed to live.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hyzante also controls the only known source of salt on the continent. The other nations can't survive without it, as it's needed to live.

That's true in the strictest sense, but a meat rich diet provides enough salt that you don't need to supplement it.

Problem being of course that medieval-like agricultural diets didn't include a lot of meat at all, unless you were rich. Which is why it was so valuable.

JustJeff88 posted:

I would like it if the father stuck around and was an advisor and emotional support to the protagonist, but we both know that that won't happen.

Daddy is going to die in like the next few chapters, isn't he? :ohdear:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Torrannor posted:

That's true in the strictest sense, but a meat rich diet provides enough salt that you don't need to supplement it.

Problem being of course that medieval-like agricultural diets didn't include a lot of meat at all, unless you were rich. Which is why it was so valuable.

I was thinking about the wrong thing. I was thinking about colonial US diets/maritime diets that were short on greens/vitamin C and prone to scurvy and also diets weak in iodine that caused goiters.

quote:

Daddy is going to die in like the next few chapters, isn't he? :ohdear:

For the sake of narrative melodrama, he probably won't survive this sente

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
The question is, will it be an assassination, an attack of some sort where he goes down fighting, or just his health issues coming to a head?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

IthilionTheBrave posted:

The question is, will it be an assassination, an attack of some sort where he goes down fighting, or just his health issues coming to a head?

I'm seeing assassination likely from my memory of FF Tactics. His illness is probably poison a la how Dycedarg killed the Beoulve family patriarch.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Delphisage posted:

I'm seeing assassination likely from my memory of FF Tactics. His illness is probably poison a la how Dycedarg killed the Beoulve family patriarch.

Huh, either i couldn't make that out through FFT's translation, or I forgot it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I vote for 'dies from mysterious nameless coughing disease', probably right after a major setback that the protagonist must overcome without his beloved mentor.