Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t know why Tennesse fans are so insecure your clearly a good team and I haven’t seen anyone dispute that

The only thing they should feel insecure about is the ability to defend playing UT Martin in godddamn late October. But that's a general SEC thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s just funny seeing it coming from an undefeated SEC team who will walk into the playoffs if they win the conference and maybe even if they don’t.

The “we had x wins over ranked teams” thing seems to only get deployed to defend a team as being actually really good after some embarrassing loss.

The real playoff mess is if Georgia beats Tennessee (who finishes 11-1) and goes into the SECCG 12-0 and then loses to an 11-1 Alabama.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Asproigerosis posted:

Forever lol you dumb dumbs thought THIS TIME you'll be the ones to unlock the sarkesian magic.

Hey man I thought going in we could only win this one if Sanders didn’t play, and he very much did. Much more frustrating is the way we lost, having the wheels completely come off in the second half again.

On the one hand Ewers was just off and there were lots of play calls that created opportunities and would’ve worked great if he was making the throws the way we’ve seen him do it before. On the other hand the announcing crew kept talking about the intense swirling winds and how it’s like the windiest stadium in the country and then both they and Sark were apparently baffled at why Ewers’ accuracy was lacking when lobbing huge rainbow throws deep downfield on a day when he already wasn’t at his best. I kept expecting us to lean on the running game to repeatedly set up easy short passes to the WRs, TEs and RB’s and try to let those guys make plays while helping Ewers settle down and get into rhythm. But it felt like we kept running occasionally and then trying to do big dropback passes over and over. I’m sure that’s what the defense was giving us but scheming your dudes open deep downfield doesn’t help that much when your QB can’t hit them. We have enough weapons on offense that Sark the super creative offensive genius should’ve been able to find a way to use them effectively.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m not so sure about that. Aggie boosters have proven that they’re willing to spend almost any amount of money to avoid being embarrassed in football. That’s why they gave Jimbo 100 million dollars in the first place.

Aggie boosters are ludicrous people, but paying 86 million to fire a football coach is too ludicrous even for them, I think

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I like that someone is running the experiment of going out and getting the most accomplished coach they could land and setting up a situation where he’s basically unfireable for years and years. He’s not looking over his shoulder at trigger-happy boosters, he doesn’t have to placate anybody, he’s not incentivized to take short term gains at the expense of the long term ones, he’s not making assistant changes just to cool his seat off, etc. What happens when you pick your guy and then just let him work, through all the ups and downs, for better or for worse? It’s a whole program tying itself to the mast like Odysseus sailing past the sirens. They know they’re going to hear the siren song of overreaction and feel the irresistible urge to fire their coach or meddle with him, but they’re making it impossible to give into that urge in advance.

I’m glad someone is doing it, and I’m really glad it’s not my team.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Aggie boosters are ludicrous people, but paying 86 million to fire a football coach is too ludicrous even for them, I think

And that’s just for firing the HC. You have to add in the buyout and the contract for whichever new head coach you want to hire, the buyouts for firing Jimbo’s assistants, and the buyouts and contracts for all the assistants the new guy wants to bring in.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Thermos H Christ posted:

I like that someone is running the experiment of going out and getting the most accomplished coach they could land and setting up a situation where he’s basically unfireable for years and years. He’s not looking over his shoulder at trigger-happy boosters, he doesn’t have to placate anybody, he’s not incentivized to take short term gains at the expense of the long term ones, he’s not making assistant changes just to cool his seat off, etc. What happens when you pick your guy and then just let him work, through all the ups and downs, for better or for worse? It’s a whole program tying itself to the mast like Odysseus sailing past the sirens. They know they’re going to hear the siren song of overreaction and feel the irresistible urge to fire their coach or meddle with him, but they’re making it impossible to give into that urge in advance.

You could end up with a Dabo (7? Years until a natty) or a Ferentz (Outback Bowl king)!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Thermos H Christ posted:

I think that's how you get Kirk Ferentz

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

To be fair to Ferentz he has taken the program to probably it’s highest possible high (Rose Bowl, multiple CCGs), so having the same guy for a few decades has mostly worked

It’s just now that his fatal flaw (loyalty even when it’s long past when it should have expired) has overtaken his positives he’s gonna drag the whole program down with him

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Dabo's Clemson played for the ACC Championship in his first full season and won it in his third. It's discounted because the conference was hideous around this time, Clemsoning was a thing, and they gave up 700 points in the Orange Bowl to WVU, but the trajectory was there.

Jimbo's made it so that A&M's ceiling is 8-4, which is insane to me

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

General Dog posted:

The real playoff mess is if Georgia beats Tennessee (who finishes 11-1) and goes into the SECCG 12-0 and then loses to an 11-1 Alabama.

Hey, 3 SEC teams in the playoffs would probably fast track expansion

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Hey, 3 SEC teams in the playoffs would probably fast track expansion

cool so we can have 5

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There aren’t five teams in the SEC that could do it

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

General Dog posted:

LSU wins the west and then beats undefeated Georgia in the SEC Championship leaving a 2 loss SEC champ and Georgia/Tennessee at 1 loss each.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

There aren’t five teams in the SEC that could do it

Hugh Freeze's 2026 National Champion Auburn Tigers (9-3). Search your feelings.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

LSU wins the west and then beats undefeated Georgia in the SEC Championship leaving a 2 loss SEC champ and Georgia/Tennessee at 1 loss each.

They'd pick UGA like they picked tOSU in 2016.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

D.N. Nation posted:

Dabo's Clemson played for the ACC Championship in his first full season and won it in his third. It's discounted because the conference was hideous around this time, Clemsoning was a thing, and they gave up 700 points in the Orange Bowl to WVU, but the trajectory was there.

Jimbo's made it so that A&M's ceiling is 8-4, which is insane to me

I am as down on Jimbo as anyone but he won us an Orange Bowl already

poo poo sucks right now and I believe Jimbo will drag this program down but he's already exceeded what you are calling the ceiling

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

Hugh Freeze's 2026 National Champion Auburn Tigers (9-3). Search your feelings.

They'd pick UGA like they picked tOSU in 2016.

God don’t remind me. Nobody deserved the fourth spot that year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ferentz and Jimbo each just have a playcaller they need to replace and they’ll be back on track.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It’s kind of wild that Liberty managed to schedule two P5 opponents in November.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Wake Forest is a top ten team.

Deacs bitch!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://twitter.com/texasfootballl/status/1583997079097323526?s=46&t=7BQ-NUBAWmiPOSyGlWOodw

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

All this semi-ironic Tulane poo poo talk is going to manifest an LSU/Tulane bowl game into existence and LSU is going to hang 70 on em.

Who the gently caress is being semi-ironic? Those Baton Rouge cowards need to come down to the only real city in Louisiana and take their whupping like men

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ok this would be funny as gently caress and now I hope it happens

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cthulu Carl posted:

I think that's how you get Kirk Ferentz

I thought we were talking about James Franklin

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Texas’ greatest coach was also a Sooner, so makes sense

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

Ferentz and Jimbo each just have a playcaller they need to replace and they’ll be back on track.

The incumbents being your son and yourself make this difficult

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

Ok this would be funny as gently caress and now I hope it happens

You only say that because there's no chance Florida plays Texas all the time when they come to the SEC. I want them to stay lost and rudderless for many years to come.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

General Dog posted:

Lord I hope this doesn't happen but it feels reasonably likely

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

tactlessbastard posted:

You only say that because there's no chance Florida plays Texas all the time when they come to the SEC. I want them to stay lost and rudderless for many years to come.

Giving Tennessee an abandonment complex is pretty good reason but also because it would sting the hell out of OU for their last title winning QB to coach their rival.

Also hopefully Texas would throw cold water on his career.

It’s a three part good if it went through.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

All three get in plus the Ohio State/Michigan winner while undefeated Clemson is left out due to a weak schedule.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
It is now hate week. gently caress a gata!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Henchman of Santa posted:

All three get in plus the Ohio State/Michigan winner while undefeated Clemson is left out due to a weak schedule.

That sounds great honestly. Maybe Dabo finally rage quits. Or has a stroke or something. I'm good either way.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mildly disappointed i won't be able to watch northwestern/iowa, game has potential to be the first game where teams somehow lose points.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Farking Bastage posted:

Ah poo poo is that beat down already upon us?

gently caress.

gently caress Georgia, I’ll never debase myself by woofing like a wheezy, genetic disaster of a dog.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have a hard time seeing the committee leaving an undefeated P5 out, just a lot of parties that wouldn’t want to make a precedent for that ever being a possibility, even if it is a moot point in like a year.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Farking Bastage posted:

The last 3 minutes of the WLOCP last season was the quickest, most brutal humiliation of a QB I've ever seen.

Only thing missing was Richardson's mom coming out of the stands to say she never loved him.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

General Dog posted:

I have a hard time seeing the committee leaving an undefeated P5 out, just a lot of parties that wouldn’t want to make a precedent for that ever being a possibility, even if it is a moot point in like a year.

So it's not a precedent

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

D.N. Nation posted:

Only thing missing was Richardson's mom coming out of the stands to say she never loved him.

There’s always this year.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
if clemson goes undefeated i really cant imagine they wouldnt be in the playoffs, and i have no idea who could beat them in the rest of their schedule lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

My friend has scheduled a wedding (in Tampa lmao) during the WLOCP. Autumn weddings suck but that is a real blessing in disguise.