Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The NCAA has made their ruling. Let them enforce it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I wonder if this would cause the P5 to split off from the NCAA. It seems like it’s golden to be hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube for schools already doing this.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

what did y'all think of the PSU alternate unis that you'd kinda not recognize if you weren't paying attention?

TOO WILD or not wild enough?
PSU's idea of "alternates" is dumb and they should do black/pink alts as a reference to the school's original colors like the basketball team did

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Spaced God posted:

<tweet about NCAA hissy fit over NIL>

Yeah sure that makes sense lol

Don't most schools have a legal services office available to the general student population? Not necessarily for criminal stuff, but for things like contracts, real-estate, etc...?

So in essence the NCAA is saying that student athletes can't take advantage of programs offered to all other students because their panties are in a bunch over the "sanctity of amateur athletics".

EDIT: I just did a quick search of some Unis, and all the ones I checked DO in fact offer free legal services.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 26, 2022

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Proteus Jones posted:

Don't most schools have a legal services office available to the general student population? Not necessarily for criminal stuff, but for things like contracts, real-estate, etc...?

So in essence the NCAA is saying that student athletes can't take advantage of programs offered to all other students because their panties are in a bunch over the "sanctity of amateur athletics".

Precisely

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Fifty Three posted:

PSU's idea of "alternates" is dumb and they should do black/pink alts as a reference to the school's original colors like the basketball team did

One for NOT WILD ENOUGH

(i thought they were kinda weak too, but maybe keep the pants stripe that was okay to match the helmet)

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Sash! posted:

It isn't even unique to Penn State. I want to say Minnesota and Michigan State have it too. I looked into it once before and there's four or five teams that generally start on the road and a couple that rarely do.

Ohio State since 2010... has started their big 10 slate away 7 times. They've been fine. I'm a bit confused why it even matters about opening the big 10 slate on the road. It evens out.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I wonder if this would cause the P5 to split off from the NCAA. It seems like it’s golden to be hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube for schools already doing this.

I'm pretty sure March Madness would get hosed if the big conferences seceded from the NCAA, and no one wants that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The P5 are already champing at the bit to gently caress up March Madness, but I also don't believe they're really interested in seceding from the NCAA unless they're left absolutely no choice.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It would be cool for the NIT to suddenly return to prominence.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Komet posted:

The Big Ten is reconfiguring its divisions when USC and UCLA join in 2024. Obviously, they'd have to anyway because both teams are in the west, but this is a good opportunity to rebalance. Hopefully by throwing out Rutgers and Nebraska.

2020 Nebraska win 30-23
2017 Penn State win 44-56
2013 Nebraska win 23-20
2012 Nebraska win 32-23
(Nebraska is 10-8 against Penn State all-time. These are the results as conference opponents)

Yes, Nebraska is the football team that should be booted from the conference.

Seaniqua posted:

There's no way the Big Ten cuts ties with Nebraska any time soon. Nebraska has been, will continue to be, and is a bad football team, but kicking them out of the conference would provide no economic value to the conference, which means it won't happen.

Now, if a school explicitly enabled a serial child rapist and his enablers, I would understand if that conference chose to get rid of that team.

Goodbye Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State. Yeah, I know Michigan and Michigan State's athletic department rapists targeted college student athletes rather than children, but gently caress 'em anyway.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

March Madness does belong to the NCAA it's how they get most of their budget (TV deal for the rights to broadcast the tournament), but if anyone thinks thats a major road block to the P5 breaking away I don't think it's that big.

They would make their own Bball tournament if they had to and it would sell because your favorite team def gets a seat now that you aren't picking from 300+ division 1 programs about who gets in. Most folks want to see Duke/Kansas not St Francis vs Norfolk State. As much as cinderellas get hyped up, the big programs draw the eyes, and those larger schools would bring more eyes if you knew everyone was gonna get a chance at a run.

You still get to hype cinderella when some 8-20 no history program as a 16 seed beats Duke as 1 seed. It would just be a name you actually recognize.

The P5 will stick with the NCAA as long as the legal and ethical cover they provide is worth the hindrance to the $$ is worth it. The NCAA needs the P5 way more than the P5 need the NCAA anymore.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

2020 Nebraska win 30-23
2017 Penn State win 44-56
2013 Nebraska win 23-20
2012 Nebraska win 32-23
(Nebraska is 10-8 against Penn State all-time. These are the results as conference opponents)

Yes, Nebraska is the football team that should be booted from the conference.
Yeah I don't really get the call to boot Nebraska, they've been okay as recently as 2016 and basically as consistent as PSU before that. I'm not sure the head to head record tells the whole story of conference performance though lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

General Dog posted:

The P5 are already champing at the bit to gently caress up March Madness, but I also don't believe they're really interested in seceding from the NCAA unless they're left absolutely no choice.

ty for using champing

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

EDIT: I just did a quick search of some Unis, and all the ones I checked DO in fact offer free legal services.
It's all dumb and a mess to enforce, but in this specific case, the second image specifically says they can offer stuff like contract review if it's generally available to students.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
If anyone is fascinated by school rivalry bullshit, TTU and TCU's long but sorta meh rivalry is becoming more interesting. The timeline so far in the last year:

1. TCU fired Patterson and quickly hired Sonny Dykes as their HC to prevent TTU from interviewing him. (This move has, thusfar, worked out for TCU)
2. TCU's assistant AD set off a troll-storm out of the TTU fanbase. If you see any 🌵 emoji out of TTU these days, that's where it started.
3. TCU is attempting to prevent TTU fans from buying tickets to their game through bundling and outright refusing to sell single game tickets. They didn't do this for OU, OSU, and KSU, all of whom were ranked going into their game, but TTU seems to have gotten under their athletic department's skin.

It's entertaining to me to see the Tech fanbase take the opportunity to troll anyone who opens themselves up to it. This goes back quite some time. My favorite was when Tuberville was running a live stream of their fax machine at Cincinnati, let the number to the machine slip, and spent the entire morning on signing day receiving faxed copies of the 50 yard line steakhouse menu.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

You still get to hype cinderella when some 8-20 no history program as a 16 seed beats Duke as 1 seed. It would just be a name you actually recognize.

Nothing saying that the P5 breakaway would even prevent them from inviting, say, the top 2 programs from the Big East and the top 2-3 other mid-major teams to their postseason basketball tournament and getting those "cinderella" runs anyway

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

PBCrunch posted:

Goodbye Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State. Yeah, I know Michigan and Michigan State's athletic department rapists targeted college student athletes rather than children, but gently caress 'em anyway.

And Ohio State, can't forget about Jim Jordan

And preemptively kick out Iowa, Wisconsin, and Purdue, just to be safe

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

And Ohio State, can't forget about Jim Jordan

And preemptively kick out Iowa, Wisconsin, and Purdue, just to be safe

We've discovered how Nebraska can win a conference title again

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

Nothing saying that the P5 breakaway would even prevent them from inviting, say, the top 2 programs from the Big East and the top 2-3 other mid-major teams to their postseason basketball tournament and getting those "cinderella" runs anyway

Absolutely, on their own they can do whatever they want and they'd command the money to make it viable.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If the Power 5 made their own tourneys, they’d also have to cut back on the size of the field, because unless another Group of 5 conference gets raided for members you’d have ~68 out of 79 schools represented. That makes the regular season meaningless.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Just realized that UGA's entire bench running on the field to celebrate a TD against Florida is now old enough to have a learner's permit.

So is "What is Britney doing with her life"

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/utracefan72/status/1585267037466759169?s=20&t=JtczJHPVpz83ztcNEpeAKA

Lol

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Ehud posted:

ty for using champing

I’d like to echo Ehud’s praise on this matter. I keep my mouth shut when people say chomping in real life, because no one gives a poo poo, but champing is the correct (and therefore superior) phrase.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Boy the NCAA sure knows how to strike when the iron's hot

You fuckers had years to decide on this stuff, passed it off to Congress, possibly the only slower deliberative body in the world, and now you wanna shut it back down? Good luck.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
For what it's worth this is another take on the topic.

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1585417364857839617

I have no clue who sits on this council.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Seaniqua posted:

I’d like to echo Ehud’s praise on this matter. I keep my mouth shut when people say chomping in real life, because no one gives a poo poo, but champing is the correct (and therefore superior) phrase.

It’s true

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Grittybeard posted:

The dumbest fuckers you can imagine

edit: and here's the list on the last 3 pages! At a glance it's a lot of small school and FCS uni reps trying to tell the P5 how to run their poo poo.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d1/council/Oct2022D1Council_Oct4Report.pdf

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 27, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

i propose we put the ncaa in the same place they put the ark

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

soggybagel posted:

Ohio State since 2010... has started their big 10 slate away 7 times. They've been fine. I'm a bit confused why it even matters about opening the big 10 slate on the road. It evens out.

I just assume that the schedules are generated by an Excel spreadsheet that no one actually looks at except to make sure that Ohio State and Michigan play at the end of the season.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Any GDT suggestions for this week?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

fast cars loose anus posted:

Celebrate Sp0-0ky Season With NW - Iowa

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Somehow ECU has managed to play 7 of its first 8 games at home. (not a thread title suggestion, just an observation)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The dumbest fuckers you can imagine

edit: and here's the list on the last 3 pages! At a glance it's a lot of small school and FCS uni reps trying to tell the P5 how to run their poo poo.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d1/council/Oct2022D1Council_Oct4Report.pdf

Looks like the Oct 25th meeting report is not up yet. Will be interesting to see how these folks voted. Every conference gets a representative and there are a lot more FCS conferences than P5's.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

General Dog posted:

Somehow ECU has managed to play 7 of its first 8 games at home. (not a thread title suggestion, just an observation)

Performing at a P5 level!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Coco13 posted:

Celebrate Sp0-0ky Season With NW - Iowa

I like it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

this is interesting because alabama has a clinic at the law school that specifically negotiates NIL deals for athletes at the school (not for the big name guys but if some lineman or a volleyball player gets a deal at milo's for 5k they do that gratis)

i think you're going to see a lot of very attenuated detail on who is and who is not acting on behalf of the university when they give free stuff to student-athletes (so basically the worst possible outcome to "stop" this "problem")

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Chieves posted:

Sounds like it really ruined his weekend

See this is the kind of deep cut I can’t get anywhere else on the internet

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
So there are a handful of head coaches who also call plays on one side of the ball or the other. In some cases, like lately with Sark and Jimbo, it has been suggested that this works to the detriment of the team because it’s hard to do that while also staying on top of the head coach’s big picture game management duties.

The thing is, it seems easier to find someone who could stay on top of general game management stuff than someone who can call plays really well. Obviously there are tons of HCs who very openly hand playcalling duties to someone else. Are there any HCs who openly have an assistant who does all the thinking about clock management, helps the assistants and the HC stay on the same page and keep the big picture in view, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

fast cars loose anus posted:

Bye bye Bama