Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
The Trabant is hugely underrated and if it wasn't made in a bad commie country it would be considered a triumph of engineering.

The BMC Mini is tremendously overrated and if it wasnt for motorsports it would be rightfully considered an absolute turd

mods note pls allow the use of the HOT tag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
gently caress Audi. I hate all of those fuckin pieces of poo poo forever.

Did I do it right?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I don't care what you think. Every day cars, Honda beats Toyota, any day. Power trains: Chevy V8 > all.

I'm sure there's more, but damned if I can't think of it right now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

All cars are bad. Some look nice though. As time has marched on I feel like they just look worse and worse though with far too many gadgets in them to distract people from actually driving. That the vast majority of cars I see on my journeys are single occupant just goes to show they're the wrong tool for the job. Majority of people whining they NEED an enormous vehicle are just lying to themselves and should just learn to plan things properly. The push for public transport should be a much bigger thing from the car world but most drivers are too stupid to realise that better public transport means less cars on the road which means less traffic to slow them driving 10 miles to pick up a coffee. Modern cars being mostly computers should be geofenced within cities and maxxed out at 20mph. Anyone found to be circumventing this should be banned from driving for life and have their car cubed and installed on their front lawn as a mark of shame. Driving licenses should be far harder to attain, there should be mandatory retesting every 3-5 years and everyone should be forced to cycle first and then ride a motorbike before finally being allowed to acquire a car license. Nobody should be allowed to manufacture a car weighing more than 2 tonnes. Nobody should own a car weighing more than 2 tonnes without a special license. Cars manufacturers should be taxed on how heavy their vehicles are so we can finally push for alternative materials in manufacturing. If it costs them more to make a car out of steel then we might finally get some lightweight fun cars back again. There should be more race courses and people should be encouraged to use them to get their thrills instead of diving like arseholes on the street.

There's probably a whole lot more but I feel like this is a good start.

*edit: from all the talk from others in the various threads when someone mentions cycling, riding a motorcycle or buying a small car you'd think the US is the most hostile place on earth to exist outside or a large vehicle and I'm wondering why that's just accepted and not something that's acknowledged as completely loving insane.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 23, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tesla currently makes the only good EVs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Subaru still hasn't figured out how to build a motor that'll stay together long term

BMW has somehow managed to gently caress up rod bearing specs for the last 30+ years (S50B32 in the mid 90's all the way until now we've got the S58 having issues)

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
People using their pickups as cars is fine. People not using their pickups to haul stuff is fine.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The EJ20 is one of the best long term motors ever made

Any BMW under 30 years old is a flaming loving turd that should be melted for razorblades and the whole worthless company sold to Tesla to make actual worthwhile cars

I'd say modern supercars are boring pieces of poo poo but I dont think thats a hot take here.

big dong wanter posted:

mods note pls allow the use of the HOT tag

I'll allow it. Wether Elm or Mr Chips agreee tho is up to them :D

Edit : gently caress didnt proofread

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 24, 2022

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Any BMW over 30 years old is a flaming loving turd that should be melted for razorblades and the whole worthless company sold to Tesla to make actual worthwhile cars

i guess this was posted in the right thread because this take seems absolutely backwards to me. anything under 30 years old is super boring and compromised and tubby. the S65 does sound good, and maybe the new ones are fast or whatever, but they just spark 0 joy. not like the old ones do.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

What GM has done over the last 20 years in performance cars is more impressive than what Porsche has done.

Anyone buying a 996 Turbo at current prices is an absolute shmuck. You can buy many new cars that are just as fast, but more engaging, and with nicer interiors for the same money.

If you like how good modern American performance cars have gotten, thank the idiot who spent too much money on a full-sized crew cab pickup truck, because they're the ones who funded the performance car development.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Raptor Broncos are the most ridiculously bad looking vehicles in production. They look like a bro-jeep set up for mall crawling, but worse.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
most peoples AI takes are driven by rose colored glasses and yall are just :corsair:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Godzilla07 posted:

What GM has done over the last 20 years in performance cars is more impressive than what Porsche has done.

Anyone buying a 996 Turbo at current prices is an absolute shmuck. You can buy many new cars that are just as fast, but more engaging, and with nicer interiors for the same money.

If you like how good modern American performance cars have gotten, thank the idiot who spent too much money on a full-sized crew cab pickup truck, because they're the ones who funded the performance car development.

meatpimp posted:

Raptor Broncos are the most ridiculously bad looking vehicles in production. They look like a bro-jeep set up for mall crawling, but worse.

100% agree with both these posts

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

most peoples AI takes are driven by rose colored glasses and yall are just :corsair:

Without my glasses, your av looks like a cloud. *Yells incoherently*

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Raluek posted:

i guess this was posted in the right thread because this take seems absolutely backwards to me. anything under 30 years old is super boring and compromised and tubby. the S65 does sound good, and maybe the new ones are fast or whatever, but they just spark 0 joy. not like the old ones do.

Yay me for not proofreading. Should have been *under* 30 years.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

gently caress Audi. I hate all of those fuckin pieces of poo poo forever.

Did I do it right?

You did it better than Audi's done anyfuckinthing since the early 80s

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The Volvo 240 wagon is the best car ever made.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Volvo 240 wagon is the best car ever made.

This is just fact, come on gives us a HOT take.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The FK8 Civic Type-R looks cool.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
The rover v8 is actually a magnificent little engine.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Porsche's flat 6's are the worst part about 911's.
Porsche's flat 6's sound terrible. All of them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Spicy

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

McTinkerson posted:

Porsche's flat 6's are the worst part about 911's.
Porsche's flat 6's sound terrible. All of them.

So do Subaru flatties . In fact all flat engines sound awful. Like they're misfiring as gently caress. gently caress them and gently caress you if you disagree

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
UTVs should be street legal, but if you are in a collision in one, you should get no hospital services.

Europe should disband all of its automotive design and engineering. The entire continent has contributing nothing positive to the automotive design and engineering landscape in decades.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I don't give a gently caress how practical they are.

All those boxes on wheels from the mid-late '00s are ugly as gently caress and they should all be burned to death.

Honda Element. Sky-on XB or XD or whatever the gently caress (maybe both). Kia Soul. Nissan Cube, did I miss any?

gently caress those ugly rear end pieces of poo poo.

gently caress the Nissan Juke too. Should also be burned to death.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

cursedshitbox posted:

The rover v8 is actually a magnificent little engine.

OK that's a bit far

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

big dong wanter posted:

OK that's a bit far

How does it feel, to lose control over your own hideous creation? :colbert:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my hot take is that the crossover is basically the ideal body style for most single-vehicle appliance purposes and its just the car returning to its most useful original form. Look at a Model T Tudor, that is a fuckin crossover right there. still dont care for em tho

my not so hot take is that wheels above 18" are pointless and dumb

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my hot take is that the crossover is basically the ideal body style for most single-vehicle appliance purposes and its just the car returning to its most useful original form. Look at a Model T Tudor, that is a fuckin crossover right there. still dont care for em tho

Macan T best single car on sale today.

If you need wheels greater than 18" to clear the brakes, you hosed up as a manufacturer and made the vehicle to heavy.

Hot take: Ethanol (E85) is dumb and the industry should have gone to methanol instead. Safety concerns over invisible flames be damned!

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

Nidhg00670000 posted:

How does it feel, to lose control over your own hideous creation? :colbert:

Similar to a retired Buick engineer who saw his drunken 50s creation still kicking I guess

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My hot take on this is that that image that everyone here loves to post of similar looking crossovers (That often gets doubled up because ZOMG CAR BORING" is completely bullshit.

Cars have always pretty much looked similar and if you lined up a group of cars from any Era they'd all end up looking pretty similar.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
The Porsche Macan is just a fast rav4 for Greenwich moms and is not at all like a 'rally car' or as good as a sports car contrary to how all the auto journalists pump it up.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

While I agree, I also maintain that crossovers are station wagons in hiking boots and they only succeeded because they claimed to be a type of SUV to assuage people's insecurities about wagons. Which is dumb because wagons rule.

I would say that bar a few exceptions that I'm sure exist, wheels larger than you need to clear the brakes are dumb. More rubber means a more comfortable ride and less strain on the fancy alloy wheels when you hit a pothole. In theory you get more lateral grip with a shorter sidewall but in practice most drivers aren't going to keep a car under control at the kind of g-forces where that's going to matter. And I don't exclude myself there, if I get up to .8-.9G somehow I'm going to crash.

Also for some weird reason tires of equal diameter for wheels of smaller diameter always end up being cheaper from what I've seen. Which seems pretty counterintuitive to me since that's more material you're using in the sidewall.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Big wheels exist to balance out the overly huge expanses of creased steel bodywork that cars have become. If your car is huge, the wheels have to be equally as huge for balance. If you put 17s on one and designed the wheel wells appropriately for then it would reveal the trick. Same with the lower quarter of the cars being black, the cinched waist on others, the diffusers that do nothing, the fake exhausts...

I do laugh at modern cars being all pillboxes with tiny amounts of glass and shoulder height windows. I also understand that doors/body are easier to add sound deadening to than glass but I feel like a world where the driver has to be cocooned and made to feel safe, invincible even despite vehicles becoming more and more dangerous to everyone outside them, it is a bad thing. Cars are too big, too heavy, too powerful, have pitiful visibility... The Hummer EV is like the ultimate domestic terrorism machine, it's so perfectly American :allears:

Oh and while I'm here, cars are the shittiest use of battery tech considering how big and heavy the cars are and how much power they require to move a single person the average 25 miles a day the average person travels. What a waste.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 27, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

My hot take on this is that that image that everyone here loves to post of similar looking crossovers (That often gets doubled up because ZOMG CAR BORING" is completely bullshit.

Cars have always pretty much looked similar and if you lined up a group of cars from any Era they'd all end up looking pretty similar.

Yeah someone made a similar one with 80s sport coupes which was highly illuminating

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

While I agree, I also maintain that crossovers are station wagons in hiking boots and they only succeeded because they claimed to be a type of SUV to assuage people's insecurities about wagons. Which is dumb because wagons rule.

Crossovers are minivans in yoga pants

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Big wheels exist to balance out the overly huge expanses of creased steel bodywork that cars have become. If your car is huge, the wheels have to be equally as huge for balance. If you put 17s on one and designed the wheel wells appropriately for then it would reveal the trick. Same with the lower quarter of the cars being black, the cinched waist on others, the diffusers that do nothing, the fake exhausts...

I do laugh at modern cars being all pillboxes with tiny amounts of glass and shoulder height windows. I also understand that doors/body are easier to add sound deadening to than glass but I feel like a world where the driver has to be cocooned and made to feel safe, invincible even despite vehicles becoming more and more dangerous to everyone outside them, it is a bad thing. Cars are too big, too heavy, too powerful, have pitiful visibility... The Hummer EV is like the ultimate domestic terrorism machine, it's so perfectly American :allears:

Oh and while I'm here, cars are the shittiest use of battery tech considering how big and heavy the cars are and how much power they require to move a single person the average 25 miles a day the average person travels. What a waste.

I was under the impression that a lot of the changes in car design (especially the massive pillars) have to do with changing vehicle safety standards. Tire diameter hasn't really gone up, at least not by much, just the wheels have gotten bigger and the sidewalls smaller.

Maybe three row crossovers are minivans in yoga pants but it seems like most of them are still two row, right? That's wagon/sedan passenger capacity.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
theres enough people without kids out there that two door coupes should occupy more of the market. four doors are usually unnecessary

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I would say that bar a few exceptions that I'm sure exist, wheels larger than you need to clear the brakes are dumb. More rubber means a more comfortable ride and less strain on the fancy alloy wheels when you hit a pothole. In theory you get more lateral grip with a shorter sidewall but in practice most drivers aren't going to keep a car under control at the kind of g-forces where that's going to matter. And I don't exclude myself there, if I get up to .8-.9G somehow I'm going to crash.

One of the big issues with low profile tyres is that they have a lesser ability to slide. So in your lumbering AMG Mercedes SUV for instance, the amount of slip you can use before the car loses traction entirely and the traction / stability control goes mental is low.

Now thats not to say having big profile tyres are a good thing - it's just more at a certain point when you run out of grip the tyre just gives up, rather than gracefully beginning to slide predictably. This is one o the reasons why in historic racing - even with radials allowed, crossplies are even more predicatable and slidey - these high profile tyre cars are generating spectaclar cornering speeds while sliding all over the place. The adage of "Handling happens when the grip runs out" becomes more obvious.

And thats why race tyres are rarely below 45 profile.

Also thats a fair bit of the reason why high performace tyres tend to not really go past 19" and it's desireable to go down a wheel size for high performace cars if they are using something larger than 19". I dont have any hard evidence but my understanding is for tyre performance for grip and also good control characteristics after the grip runs out, 17 or 18" is the sweet spot.

quote:

I was under the impression that a lot of the changes in car design (especially the massive pillars) have to do with changing vehicle safety standards.

Not entirely. Modern rules still allow for lower hip lines and lower bonnets. Car makers are choosing mostly the current design paths

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was under the impression that a lot of the changes in car design (especially the massive pillars) have to do with changing vehicle safety standards. Tire diameter hasn't really gone up, at least not by much, just the wheels have gotten bigger and the sidewalls smaller.

Here's a good diagram ripped from an old Car and Driver article about the changes that pedestrian impact laws have caused in car design:

quote:

1. A minimum of 20 mm (0.8 inch) of clearance is required between the underside of the hood and the highest part of the engine or any other hard point such as the windshield-wiper motor or the HVAC plenum. This raises not only the front of the hood but also its trailing edge by at least 0.8 inch.

2. With the rear edge of the hood elevated, the entire cowl must be raised a like amount—or a bit more if the designers want a wedge-shaped profile. This moves the windshield base and the dash higher as well.

3. A taller cowl and dash force the front seats to be raised for visibility.

4. With people sitting higher in the car, the roof goes up to maintain headroom.

5. Now that the roof is higher, the beltline (the base of the side windows) has to be lifted to keep the car from looking bubbleheaded.

6. The higher beltline adds sheetmetal above the rear-wheel openings, reducing the wheel-to-body ratio.

7. Would you believe that pedestrian protection influences wheel sizes? With wheel openings relatively smaller than those on cars made before the regs, the 245/50-18s on, say, a base BMW 7-series don't look very big at all. The solution has been to fit 19- and 20-inch wheel/tire packages to replicate more attractive proportions.