Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Infiniti and Acura (and I guess Genesis too) are a waste of money that drain resources from the parent company and aren't worth the return. Lexus got in early enough and put enough resources in to make it worth their while. That they never really left North America is telling.

I understand the clash between the levels of service expected from someone buying an i30 vs a Genesis, but surely it was cheaper to bring up the levels of service for your whole brand than starting a whole new seperate brand from the ground up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Chinese cars have a lot of loving potential.

Japanese cars went from utter crap to great in 30 years.

Koreans did the same thing in 20 years.

China will do it in 10.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^ China's cheap little EVs with limited range are ironically all the car the vast majority of people outside China need and limiting the speed of cars means you don't need the safety standards to be as stringent. It's a win win which is why it will never become the norm.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

^ China's cheap little EVs with limited range are ironically all the car the vast majority of people outside China need and limiting the speed of cars means you don't need the safety standards to be as stringent. It's a win win which is why it will never become the norm.

that would take all the joy out of cars

heres my hot take: i love driving every day. when i had no commute during the covid shelter-in-place, i was really missing it. whats the point of a fun, enjoyable car with shouty flowmasters and a chunky 4-speed if you don't get to tear it up all the time?

i dont even drive particularly fast, but at least opening it up getting onto the expressway and rowing through the gears through town is a delight and probably the best thing i do on any given weekday

take that away with some soulless low-speed ev penalty box and life gets a lot grayer

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Raluek posted:

that would take all the joy out of cars

heres my hot take: i love driving every day. when i had no commute during the covid shelter-in-place, i was really missing it. whats the point of a fun, enjoyable car with shouty flowmasters and a chunky 4-speed if you don't get to tear it up all the time?

i dont even drive particularly fast, but at least opening it up getting onto the expressway and rowing through the gears through town is a delight and probably the best thing i do on any given weekday

take that away with some soulless low-speed ev penalty box and life gets a lot grayer

Thing is though most people absolutely do not enjoy driving. It's just something they have to do to get to work etc. When someone says they love driving they mean when they get a chance to whip round some fun roads that are mostly empty. Nobody who says they love driving is referring to the monotony of commuting traffic with other dickheads trying their hardest to get ahead only to end up in the same traffic queue as you.

*edit: for the 'love driving' crew I refer you to my first post in this thread where I say to open more race tracks for people to get it out of their system. I have never driven more boringly and safe after spending the day at a track. If your only release is public roads then that's obviously no good.

Add to this the vast majority of people don't own a 'fun car' anyway and it just proves my point. All cars are progressively becoming shittier and heavier with far too many electronics. If your car needs a computer to interfere then your vehicle dynamics are rear end and you've just proven that we've gone too far and should probably return to what actually made cars good: simplicity and light weight.

A perfect car:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 27, 2022

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

metaxus posted:

Chinese cars have a lot of loving potential.

Japanese cars went from utter crap to great in 30 years.

Koreans did the same thing in 20 years.

China will do it in 10.

Whats the starting points here? Because China has made cars for far longer than 10 years. (And Koreans more than 20 etc etc.)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*edit: for the 'love driving' crew I refer you to my first post in this thread where I say to open more race tracks for people to get it out of their system. I have never driven more boringly and safe after spending the day at a track. If your only release is public roads then that's obviously no good.

I generally tend to drive above the speed limit everywhere but residential streets. I've been to the local drag strip on a few occasions and after making a bunch of passes in my car, that I drove there, and drove back, and drove every day before and since, I found that I had absolutely zero inclination to speed. On my way back from the strip, or rural roads at night (a place where I'd likely be exceeding the limit considerably) I had absolutely no desire to speed at all.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Whats the starting points here? Because China has made cars for far longer than 10 years. (And Koreans more than 20 etc etc.)

Actually, they've probably already done it.

Around 10 years ago, this was the first major selling Chinese built and branded car for sale here:

This, on the other hand, is their latest model:

They have caught up to the rest of the world very very quickly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
My take is that it takes basically 30 years for a new entrant to be very competitive in the us market. Hyundai entered in the 70s and by the mid/late aughts had product that would compete on merit. Toyota entered in the 1950s and by the late 80s were a market force with a bunch of competitive product. The Chinese will also take 30 years. Currently they’re still stuck on Year Zero in the US imo. Better in Europe, electrification levels the playing field.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

People who don't enjoy driving, should not be on the road. Public transport should be made so good, that those who don't enjoy driving can get to their destination almost exactly as fast, with similar reliability and cost.
This does not only fix a considerable part of the pollution problem, but also frees up the road for those who do enjoy it, and makes people who absolutely need a car for a specific trip to get to their destination more efficiently and faster.

American lifestyle pickup trucks should be prohibited, unless a user can supply evidence that it is needed for their situation (such as living in the countryside where dirt roads get soggy in rainy weather, having to haul trailers larger than a family car can tow etc).

ULEZ zones for personal cars should disappear. There are too few old cars to have a measurable effect on air quality, because construction equipment, commercial vehicles, wood fired home heating and ships powered by heavy fuel oil or diesel completely overshadow the impact of some older personal use cars.

There should be more race tracks, and they should cost less than a speeding ticket to access.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

LimaBiker posted:

American lifestyle pickup trucks should be prohibited, unless a user can supply evidence that it is needed for their situation (such as living in the countryside where dirt roads get soggy in rainy weather, having to haul trailers larger than a family car can tow etc).

I don't even like trucks and I can already see a problem with a government agency which is almost certainly based out of the largest city in the state deciding what is practical/needed for a rural area which they only see through a car window or at a gas station.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Raluek posted:

This.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Thing is though most people absolutely do not enjoy driving. It's just something they have to do to get to work etc. When someone says they love driving they mean when they get a chance to whip round some fun roads that are mostly empty. Nobody who says they love driving is referring to the monotony of commuting traffic with other dickheads trying their hardest to get ahead only to end up in the same traffic queue as you.
Hot take: I enjoyed driving on the NJ Turnpike. I did it twice a week for a summer. Learning to watch and read the flow of traffic across all the lanes and to use that knowledge/intuition to flow forward through traffic without driving like a dickhead was fun.
(That said, I'm not going to seek out the NJ turnpike just to drive it - but there is fun to be had while using it to get to point B)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

LimaBiker posted:

People who don't enjoy driving, should not be on the road. Public transport should be made so good, that those who don't enjoy driving can get to their destination almost exactly as fast, with similar reliability and cost.
This does not only fix a considerable part of the pollution problem, but also frees up the road for those who do enjoy it, and makes people who absolutely need a car for a specific trip to get to their destination more efficiently and faster.

ULEZ zones for personal cars should disappear. There are too few old cars to have a measurable effect on air quality, because construction equipment, commercial vehicles, wood fired home heating and ships powered by heavy fuel oil or diesel completely overshadow the impact of some older personal use cars.

There should be more race tracks, and they should cost less than a speeding ticket to access.

Even as a diesel F350 owner I agree and don't think this is a particularly hot take.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Following distance/tailgating should be more strictly monitored and enforced than speeding in 55 MPH+ areas.

e: and only using the passing lane for passing, gently caress. Maybe these are more driving in the US hot takes than car hot takes.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

LimaBiker posted:

The most prominent and toughest ULEZ zones so far are in Europe which has a higher proportion of diesel cars, which emit more heavy particulates which directly affects local air quality. It's about directly improving the air quality in the city, less about the global greenhouse gas problem. Commercial vehicles are also targeted, many countries or cities now heavily regulate wood fires, construction equipment already faces emissions requirements which continue to get tougher and tougher. Shipping, yeah that's a problem, but if there are any major ports in cities with ULEZ schemes I doubt they've forgotten about them, many ports do enforce docked ships to shutdown engines and run on shore power.

I too wish racetracks were cheaper, but they're an inefficient use of land with onerous safety requirements and low use for the size of land, so incredibly expensive to build and run. Also a speeding ticket isn't the only risk you're exposed to ripping it on the street, is it?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

big dong wanter posted:

mods note pls allow the use of the HOT tag

Nothing at all stopping you from using it. It just costs :10bux:.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Following distance/tailgating should be more strictly monitored and enforced than speeding in 55 MPH+ areas.

e: and only using the passing lane for passing, gently caress. Maybe these are more driving in the US hot takes than car hot takes.

Thought about this and in reality it's another non-verifiable reason for cops to pull over and harass people, but I really do think there are more assholes on the road now than there were pre-COVID traffic reduction and I hate it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

LimaBiker posted:

I'm very definitely in this camp. Improving ways of moving large numbers of people around cities (or between them) that don't involve them sat in traffic on their own in a large vehicle with thousands of others doing the same is the key.

Germany is currently doing a €9 a month train ticket and I'd honestly love for something like that to be a thing here in the UK. Currently (and for the past decade+) we' re getting reamed by private transport companies to the point where rolling up on a whim to a train station to go somewhere is prohibitively expensive. One Saturday me and my partner wanted to go from where I lived to Oxford, it's about a 45 minute journey and living a couple of miles from the train station we decided to walk over there and go by rail so if we wanted some drinks while there we could do. So we get to the station, punch in the destination and are met with a cost of £70 for 2 tickets. To a place 45 minutes away. We had a short chat and walked back to the house to pick up my car at the time, a 3l straight 6 which got poo poo mileage. I put £30 in the tank and the 'spare' £40 we spent on a nice lunch.

Public transport needs to be cheaper and better than driving if you want people to use it. It should all be brought in and government run (and you should push your government to move towards this).

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

BuckyDoneGun posted:

The most prominent and toughest ULEZ zones so far are in Europe which has a higher proportion of diesel cars, which emit more heavy particulates which directly affects local air quality. It's about directly improving the air quality in the city, less about the global greenhouse gas problem. Commercial vehicles are also targeted, many countries or cities now heavily regulate wood fires, construction equipment already faces emissions requirements which continue to get tougher and tougher. Shipping, yeah that's a problem, but if there are any major ports in cities with ULEZ schemes I doubt they've forgotten about them, many ports do enforce docked ships to shutdown engines and run on shore power.

I too wish racetracks were cheaper, but they're an inefficient use of land with onerous safety requirements and low use for the size of land, so incredibly expensive to build and run. Also a speeding ticket isn't the only risk you're exposed to ripping it on the street, is it?

In Rotterdam they canceled the ULEZ for personal vehicles because there just was no measurable effect. For freight traffic they continued it.
In Amsterdam they concluded the same but because of populist reasons they didn't cancel it.
In both cases, there are large ports nearby. And of course the sheer number of commuters in modern cars still have more influence than the handful of people who have a survivor Peugeot 404 diesel or whatever, even though those are hella dirty.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 29, 2022

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

LimaBiker posted:

In Rotterdam they canceled the ULEZ for personal vehicles because there just was no measurable effect. For freight traffic they continued it.
In Amsterdam they concluded the same but because of populist reasons they didn't cancel it.
In both cases, there are large ports nearby. And of course the sheer number of commuters in modern cars still have more influence than the handful of people who have a survivor Peugeot 404 diesel or whatever, even though those are hella dirty.

I'm actually legit curious about this, since the tide is shifting to people being in favor of totally car free cities, how is that supposed to work with trade vehicles. IE Electricisns, HVACR, etc...

I'm all in favor of reducing as much commuter and other unnecessary traffic in major metro areas, but I guess I just have a hard time figuring out how a totally car free city center would work with the demands of the modern world.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

High beams should be removed entirely; all they're used for is blinding oncoming traffic.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm actually legit curious about this, since the tide is shifting to people being in favor of totally car free cities, how is that supposed to work with trade vehicles. IE Electricisns, HVACR, etc...

I'm all in favor of reducing as much commuter and other unnecessary traffic in major metro areas, but I guess I just have a hard time figuring out how a totally car free city center would work with the demands of the modern world.

Looking at a few examples, the key thing is they aren't *totally* car free. Generally, it's "no private cars" and heavy speed limits on service vehicles (10-20kmh). So the rubbish still gets picked up and trades can still get access. Also bear in mind that most trades in these sort of places also aren't getting around in F350 duallys, instead making do with smaller vans or panel vans, regular cars, or hell, even cargo bikes. An electrician for example can get away with a bag of hand tools for most service calls. Bigger deliveries (say major building work) is often dealt with via temp permits and such.

But there's as many different and varied solutions as you can imagine. None of it is impossible.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Midjack posted:

High beams should be removed entirely; all they're used for is blinding oncoming traffic.

I was thinking similarly about this the other day. Modern headlights are already so much brighter and allow drivers to see much better. If you need to use your surface of the sun high beams to see you are simply driving too quickly for the conditions and should slow down instead.

*edit: on the car free cities thing cargo bikes can certainly be used in place of more traditional delivery vehicles. My workplace has just finished up a project with Pashley on improved ones. In cities where traffic is so often painfully slow, cargo bikes and such are a fantastic way to just avoid it. I often hope people see those on bikes flying past happily and realise that being sat in traffic on their own in a car is possibly the stupidest way to get around a city.

https://twitter.com/CycleIslington/status/1585949990618554368?t=3PDKSaoGAYvUzUUeAaW0zQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/AmericanFietser/status/1359357715483623426?t=LgBf9Ma6flLCkpJ95F2q6A&s=19

https://twitter.com/gazza_d/status/1453602348538945539?t=4SPxxmx-G_HIOo2OYa442g&s=19

https://twitter.com/HarryHamishGray/status/1577664672060391424?t=mkaWmCOr6X7hqQ6RbKNlsQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/UrbanistOrg/status/1424453687234207748?t=Vyw8SeNOnkE0k2q_4vlFmA&s=19

https://twitter.com/DaveLikesBikes/status/1450540663355887621?t=mVNHTRyWx6MZGCM4LBPDwA&s=19

https://twitter.com/Spottnik/status/1393923591331368963?t=6Ln855f_p0YffaZhD4laxA&s=19

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 30, 2022

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I was thinking similarly about this the other day. Modern headlights are already so much brighter and allow drivers to see much better. If you need to use your surface of the sun high beams to see you are simply driving too quickly for the conditions and should slow down instead.

No. Just..... no. Low beams still only get you a certain distance of reliable light and high beams give you more usable visibility even at 40 to 50kph a good deal further up the road.

Being able to see further up the road is safer at any speed

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'd be less against the idea if modern cars didn't already have headlights mounted 4' in the air aimed right into the eyes of oncoming traffic. :shrug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah any kind of semi rural area and you want the most lights you can

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I live among farmland and the crap lights I have are fine? I swear AI tells on itself an awful lot.

"I can't see without lots of lights"

"I can't drive a car without 250hp"

"I need to drive at 80mph else I'll die"

"I can't drive anything small because I'm scared"

:allears:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I live among farmland and the crap lights I have are fine? I swear AI tells on itself an awful lot.

"I can't see without lots of lights"

"I can't drive a car without 250hp"

"I need to drive at 80mph else I'll die"

"I can't drive anything small because I'm scared"

:allears:

[taps thread sign]

Pretty sure it was 500hp, not 250. Dimmer headlamps work better in rural areas rather than their urban counterparts. Especially in the wet.

SmallFormatBlues
Aug 12, 2022
I hit my bi annual deer with my car and am currently driving a 2022 Tacoma with many bells and whistles, the fancy Toyota smokers cough grey/green phlegm color as well. And I cannot stand this piece of poopoo. Everyone I encounter loves the drat thing, my drivers think is the bees knees. It would be great for work, but it’s about as fun as bath day for the cats to drive. I tell people this and they act like insulted their chosen deity. Granted my daily driver is a buick so apples and oranges, but it drives about as smoothly as my old grumman 22 foot step van, without the many fun rocker switches and questionable ability to start without removing the dog house and spraying a can of start ya bastard and heaving insults into it. Worst part is I shouldn’t complain, I am appreciative, but also, it’s super unfun to drive and think it’s very overpriced and over hyped. My 113k ‘13 Elantra had a smoother ride with a very similar ‘this is a toy vehicle’ feel for 75% less cost. Am curious to see if I’m alone in my less than thrilled view of this modern marvel of engineering and awful color choice

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's fairly common for people's eyesight to degrade with age, my in-laws put obnoxious bright lights on their F150 for the same reason.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I literally live in a national park and putting the high beams on gives me a few more seconds being able to see wildlife at the signposted speed limit of 50kph. Especially possums and kangaroos.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

SmallFormatBlues posted:

I hit my bi annual deer with my car and am currently driving a 2022 Tacoma with many bells and whistles, the fancy Toyota smokers cough grey/green phlegm color as well. And I cannot stand this piece of poopoo. Everyone I encounter loves the drat thing, my drivers think is the bees knees. It would be great for work, but it’s about as fun as bath day for the cats to drive. I tell people this and they act like insulted their chosen deity. Granted my daily driver is a buick so apples and oranges, but it drives about as smoothly as my old grumman 22 foot step van, without the many fun rocker switches and questionable ability to start without removing the dog house and spraying a can of start ya bastard and heaving insults into it. Worst part is I shouldn’t complain, I am appreciative, but also, it’s super unfun to drive and think it’s very overpriced and over hyped. My 113k ‘13 Elantra had a smoother ride with a very similar ‘this is a toy vehicle’ feel for 75% less cost. Am curious to see if I’m alone in my less than thrilled view of this modern marvel of engineering and awful color choice

Unladen trucks always ride like poo poo.

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
We need an age limit on cars. How about retirement age? 64? If you want to keep driving, you need to complete a new license test, full practical course. This includes thorough technical driving and practical operation of a car, and using modern interior controls. Because alot has changed in 40 years and gently caress you get off the loving road.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

cursedshitbox posted:

Even as a diesel F350 owner I agree and don't think this is a particularly hot take.

I live in the sticks, the hills, on a dirt road and agree too. The commuter 3500 6.7 cummins is stupid even with diesel at $2.50 a gallon. Pushing $6 now and I hardly see anyone else driving one.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I literally live in a national park and putting the high beams on gives me a few more seconds being able to see wildlife at the signposted speed limit of 50kph. Especially possums and kangaroos.

"goons are old" jokes aside this is definitely valid. The high beams on my Accord have saved me from wrecking it twice in the two months I've had it so far by letting me dodge a herd of deer and a massive elk. In the case of the deer it wasn't even the length of the beam, it was the wider beam meaning that I saw them a fraction of a second earlier rounding a corner. That's doing 45-50mph, the speed limit on the stretches of mountain highway I was on.

That said, when I was driving a 30 year old pickup I almost never used the high beams because the normal beams projected so much farther even with early '90s fogged up incandescent technology.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

America hasn't made a good car since the 60s

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Leper Go-getter posted:

We need an age limit on cars. How about retirement age? 64? If you want to keep driving, you need to complete a new license test, full practical course. This includes thorough technical driving and practical operation of a car, and using modern interior controls. Because alot has changed in 40 years and gently caress you get off the loving road.

I'm happy for olds to continue driving but I'm sorry but you should have to re-test every year and your doctor should have to sign you off as fit enough because gently caress me old people are some dangerous drivers. Minute long reaction times and not being able to see much other than the width of the road for 30ft in front of the car is not a winning formula. I know it's removing a freedom from people but again, this is why public services and transport in general should be better for everyone. I'd rather have old people chauffeured around in safety than risk them getting themselves and others deaded because they don't want to lose their access to the world around them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cached Money posted:

America hasn't made a good car since the 60s

The C5+ Corvette and the CTS-V seem/ed good? Generally not a fan of American cars though.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm happy for olds to continue driving but I'm sorry but you should have to re-test every year and your doctor should have to sign you off as fit enough because gently caress me old people are some dangerous drivers. Minute long reaction times and not being able to see much other than the width of the road for 30ft in front of the car is not a winning formula. I know it's removing a freedom from people but again, this is why public services and transport in general should be better for everyone. I'd rather have old people chauffeured around in safety than risk them getting themselves and others deaded because they don't want to lose their access to the world around them.

Everyone should have to re-test every 10 years regardless of age, and more frequently if they drive commercially (including trades and ridesharing). You aren't going to train 50 years of accumulated bad habits out of pensioners.

And while we're at it, your basic license should allow you to drive something the about size and power of a basic Golf or Leaf. Once you've got that you can sit a series of advanced tests for anything bigger or faster. gently caress up in an SUV or truck and you lose your big car privileges, get a speeding ticket and you lose your fast car privileges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Automotive Seriousness.

Gonna need some harrumphs outta you guys.