Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't mind manual transmissions going away. I'll take a decent dct as it's the best of both worlds. Great in traffic and shifts faster than you do. I had fun driving them before I became more boring but now it's too much :effort: to bother with them.

Cars are too expensive and generally dumb things to spend money on.

I don't really like driving much anymore but dislike most adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist bullshit in cars even more.

I'm sure I have more but that hopefully is spicy enough for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The perfect new sports car on sale today is the Morgan Plus 4. :smugbert:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Yeep posted:

get a speeding ticket and you lose your fast car privileges.

Post the least aiest opinions you got.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Minivans are cool, CUVs are uncool.

Anyone who drives a pickup because they ‘need 4wd for the winter’ is an idiot. Pickups are the worst vehicles on ice.

Load range C tires should be available in a lot more sizes.

There should be a maximum headlight height that is significantly lower than a lot of trucks currently have. It should also apply to modified vehicles - lift the truck, lower the lights. High beams may be exempted but only if you’re not an idiot who drives around with them on all the time.

Toyota is currently equivalent to 1991 GM. They’re huge but make very few vehicles worth buying.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Advent Horizon posted:

Anyone who drives a pickup because they ‘need 4wd for the winter’ is an idiot. Pickups are the worst vehicles on ice.

Agreed on this, the only use trucks (less so SUVs due to weight distribution) have in winter is high ground clearance if you live somewhere with lots of snow and poor road maintenance. And even then you'd better be keeping a few hundred pounds of sand in the bed. On the front range of CO I see trucks fishtailing all the goddamn time, there's a reason that Subarus are the unofficial car of Colorado.

Lukewarm take: 90% of drivers cause a significant road hazard by buying cheap tires and never replacing them until they completely fail.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Advent Horizon posted:

Minivans are cool, CUVs are uncool.

Vans are so much better at hauling multiple kids than anything else it's not funny, especially now with all the poo poo they come with. Hell, built in vacuum cleaners? loving SOLD.

Cheap no name Chinese tyres are getting better and better all the time, but the no name lack of recognition makes it impossible to make a reliable choice.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Vans are so much better at hauling multiple kids than anything else it's not funny, especially now with all the poo poo they come with. Hell, built in vacuum cleaners? loving SOLD.

Have you priced out a modern minivan? They're insane.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

sharkytm posted:

Have you priced out a modern minivan? They're insane.

Compared to what? If you need the body hauling capacity of a van, then you're gunna need a 3 row SUV, and looking at base model MSRP, Kia is the only one where the minivan is more expensive. (Also isn't everything expensive these days?)

Odyssey $37,340
Pilot $38,080

Pacifica $37,095
Durango $38,495

Carnival $32,900
Sorento $29,590

Sienna $35,385
Highlander $36,420

Transit Connect $31,860
Explorer $36,760

Anyway the original point was they're better at hauling kids (and their poo poo) around than comparable crossovers or SUV's with better utility and easier access, not that they were cheaper.

My local market is vastly different however, thanks to JDM imports, so the only brand new minivans on sale are the Odyssey NZ$60k (different and smaller than the USDM version), Carnival NZ$75k, the rest are passenger versions of commercial vans (Ford Transit, VW Caddy, Transporter, Crafter, Mercedes V-Class, Toyota HiAce Granvia, Hyundai Staria, misc other Euro vans). More commonly, people buy the used JDM imports, Nissan Serena or ElGrand, Toyota Estima or Vellfire/Alphard. The other 3 row options are a class the US doesn't really get like the Toyota Wish or Prius Alpha, Nissan Lafesta etc - halfway between a wagon and a minivan, usually with regular doors not sliding but still with 3 rows.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Compared to what? If you need the body hauling capacity of a van, then you're gunna need a 3 row SUV, and looking at base model MSRP, Kia is the only one where the minivan is more expensive. (Also isn't everything expensive these days?)

Odyssey $37,340
Pilot $38,080

Pacifica $37,095
Durango $38,495

Carnival $32,900
Sorento $29,590

Sienna $35,385
Highlander $36,420

Transit Connect $31,860
Explorer $36,760

Anyway the original point was they're better at hauling kids (and their poo poo) around than comparable crossovers or SUV's with better utility and easier access, not that they were cheaper.

My local market is vastly different however, thanks to JDM imports, so the only brand new minivans on sale are the Odyssey NZ$60k (different and smaller than the USDM version), Carnival NZ$75k, the rest are passenger versions of commercial vans (Ford Transit, VW Caddy, Transporter, Crafter, Mercedes V-Class, Toyota HiAce Granvia, Hyundai Staria, misc other Euro vans). More commonly, people buy the used JDM imports, Nissan Serena or ElGrand, Toyota Estima or Vellfire/Alphard. The other 3 row options are a class the US doesn't really get like the Toyota Wish or Prius Alpha, Nissan Lafesta etc - halfway between a wagon and a minivan, usually with regular doors not sliding but still with 3 rows.

True. I was comparing a 2-row SUV (Mazda CX-5 or CR-V), and a loaded Odyssey. My wife and I are actually looking to upsize. Our son is tall and so are both of us. Neither my truck (double cab, not crew) or the CX-5 will have enough room for us and a car seat in another 6 months. I wish Mazda still made a minivan.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Crossovers often aren't the best choice for carseats, especially when rear facing because they often don't have a whole lot of length in the cabin.

The CX-5 in particular is really tight in the back because it has a shorter wheelbase than the 3, and the more upright rear seating doesn't do anything to help with carseats

BuckyDoneGun posted:

The other 3 row options are a class the US doesn't really get like the Toyota Wish or Prius Alpha, Nissan Lafesta etc - halfway between a wagon and a minivan, usually with regular doors not sliding but still with 3 rows.

US did get the Prius Alpha as the Prius V but I doubt they included the third row which is freaking tiny even considering the size of the car. They also got the Nissan Lafesta as the Mazda5

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

US did get the Prius Alpha as the Prius V but I doubt they included the third row which is freaking tiny even considering the size of the car. They also got the Nissan Lafesta as the Mazda5

Funny, while looking at 3 rows, I noticed our Santa Fe is 3 row but not theirs. Wonder if it's to help push people up to the Palisade?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My hot take is that Hyundai needs to recall or buy back all these hosed up Theta engine disasters.

Source: my car that got an oil change on Sat and by Wed was smoking

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Source: my car that got an oil change on Sat and by Wed was smoking

That really doesn't seem like the typical Theta issue

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Manufacturers who use plastic intake manifolds should be taken out and shot.

Same for plastic parts in the cooling system, BMW

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
The Ford falcon was a better car than the Holden commodore in most models however the build quality was so bad and smartlock mean you should never own one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

big dong wanter posted:

The Ford falcon was a better car than the Holden commodore in most models however the build quality was so bad and smartlock mean you should never own one.

The ZB Commodore was a far better vehicle than its predecessor. Also the four cylinder was a far better engine than the V6.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

dissss posted:

The ZB Commodore was a far better vehicle than its predecessor. Also the four cylinder was a far better engine than the V6.

Oh no no no no what are you smoking? The VF is one of actual great cars, the ZB is a big step backwards in every respect

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
The ZB was a better car than people give it credit for but trying to make it replace the Commodore was a hiding to nothing from the get go. Especially trying to sell a VXR model with no extra power.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh no no no no what are you smoking? The VF is one of actual great cars, the ZB is a big step backwards in every respect

I thought that would annoy at least one Aussie poster.

Even if you think the VF is handles better the ZB has a much better engine* and gearbox, rides better, is more economical and is generally more comfortable. The only real problem is lack of ear headroom and that's only in the hatch anyway.

* not talking about the V8, never driven one of them, rather the V6 that everyone actually bought.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

dissss posted:

Even if you think the VF is handles better the ZB has a much better engine* and gearbox, rides better, is more economical and is generally more comfortable. The only real problem is lack of ear headroom and that's only in the hatch anyway.

* not talking about the V8, never driven one of them, rather the V6 that everyone actually bought.

i know way more people who had v8 ve and vf commodores than v6 ones but that might be because my friends and acquaintances are actually cool

e: post av combo etc

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

dissss posted:

The VF has a gearbox that didnt explode like the 9 speed and the 8 speed is dubious at best, let alone the VF actually came in manual if you wanted it, soemthing the ZB doesnt (LOL). The ride is miles better in the VF and it's a far nicer car to be in. It's also highly debateable if the ZB was better built because Holden at the end was screwing the VF together quite well. Also the ZB has a pretty useless AWD version and it's a otherwise a large FWD. Which frankly FWD and large car should never be in the same sentence. The ZB V6 version also was not more economical than the VF's.

Also by the end V8's were plenty bought and even with manuals - and yes the V8 version is just one of the best cars to do just about anything with. I dont regret selling my VE SS but I can confidently say that the ZB in any form was no match for a car 12 years older, unless fuel economy was your sole critera. That is true, the VE/VF could drink when you gassed it. BFD when the rest of the car was more than decent.

No denying the ZB is in isolation a resonable car, the problem is that the VF is genuinely one of the absolute great sedans of them all and the Sportwagon is just near perfect for a longroof.

Also the ZB had no Ute. Yeah nah, that poo poo dont fly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ban drive through service.

https://twitter.com/EclecticHams/status/1589281938530967552?t=GHXzXHI7KPnB6H4cJDXkJw&s=19

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the lamborghini countach is ugly as sin and easily the most overrated car to have ever existed

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

the coke mirror is pretty great tho

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That tweet is a severe misrepresentation of what's happening in that town but yeah, ban drive throughs.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

You Am I posted:

Manufacturers who use plastic intake manifolds should be taken out and shot.

Same for plastic parts in the cooling system, BMW

New BMW n55 owner here. The lovely electric water pump and plastic UFO they call a thermostat wouldn’t be so bad IF THEY WERE ACCESSIBLE. My arms are covered in bruises from that job.

Since the EGR doesn’t pass through the intake manifold I think its ok in this situation. The plastic valve cover likes to crack and leak though. You would think by now they would have plastic that doesn’t degrade from heat cycling.

My hot take: BMW has the lowest quality of any major automaker. Too much focus on tech and reliance on unproven designs. And stupid packaging.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Any light mods should be illegal.

I'm loving tired of all the idiots in trucks here who bolt on all sorts of offroading lights to their mall crawlers and use them on the street and freeways.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The Aardvark posted:

Any light mods should be illegal.

I'm loving tired of all the idiots in trucks here who bolt on all sorts of offroading lights to their mall crawlers and use them on the street and freeways.

In Canada, auxiliary lightning such as light bars are illegal to use on public roads. Is it enforced? Hell no. Should it be, oh I have dreams of being employed as a traffic enforcement officer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the god drat low speed safety noise on EVs ruins one of the primary benefits of EVs in urban areas, which is that they aren't as noisy as ICE vehicles

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I agree, we should just ban cars from city centres.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the god drat low speed safety noise on EVs ruins one of the primary benefits of EVs in urban areas, which is that they aren't as noisy as ICE vehicles

lol are people modding their jetson noise to be crazy loud or something? they're still considerably quieter, even if its a step down from when they were near silent

hot take: loud exhaust isn't the same as good exhaust. i like me some loud cars, but you gotta have enough cam and compression for it to sound good. if you take some limp dick truck V6 that has neither, and just make it louder, its going to sound like poo poo. quality is more important than quantity, although if you got it, flaunt it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
oh yeah, another hot take, related to the previous conversation: the jetson noise is completely unnecessary. the inverter whine electric cars make is perfectly audible, even at low speed. no need to make it sound like a cartoon

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Preach. The noises are so stupid and "oooh futuristic space car sound"-ish. I loathe them, and hearing them making those noises around the gym parking lot is annoying as hell; just leave them as silent, nothing wrong with that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Steakandchips posted:

Preach. The noises are so stupid and "oooh futuristic space car sound"-ish. I loathe them, and hearing them making those noises around the gym parking lot is annoying as hell; just leave them as silent, nothing wrong with that.

There is a significant pedestrian safety issue. An early Model S without noises snuck up behind me in a parking lot the other day, driver was a complete idiot. It makes sense to have some kind of noise I just think the noise is extremely annoying and should be restricted to lower speeds.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The Fisker Karma made some weird-rear end space ship noises, but at least it wasn't super loud

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I think the different noises from different EVs are neat and I look forward to people changing them into more extreme sci fi sounding stuff.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There is a significant pedestrian safety issue. An early Model S without noises snuck up behind me in a parking lot the other day, driver was a complete idiot. It makes sense to have some kind of noise I just think the noise is extremely annoying and should be restricted to lower speeds.

Fine, I can get on board with that.

Can the noises at least not be poo poo?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
a soft friendly voice saying 'hi! hi! hello! hi! hi there!" would be good. imagine like 10 of them in the same area lol

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Brolander posted:

a soft friendly voice saying 'hi! hi! hello! hi! hi there!" would be good. imagine like 10 of them in the same area lol

Our engineering department had their own little EV truck and were doing testing on noises that vehicles should be making. I think they called him Elmo or something but they made the thing basically babble away to himself as he tootled along at like 15mph. While it sounded stupid and weird, it was stupid and weird in a way that caught your attention because just what the gently caress is that noise and where is it coming from? Elmo was a little freak and I kinda miss him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Motion to make Crazy Frog the official supplemental noise for EVs