Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Welcome to week 8, friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thanks for making the thread, Mr. Nice! I'm still in Boston with my relatives.

Local sports talk radio is… something else today. :allears:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Go Giants.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

da bears

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Pretty nice TNF game

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I cant believe giants at Seattle is easily the best afternoon slot and it's not even close.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

happy to hide in the 1pm window again

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

can't wait to be able to watch Red Zone the whole Sunday because the Ravens play at Thursday :getin:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Through seven weeks, the Detroit Lions are alone in 1st place in next year's draft.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Ravens/Bucs: Lamar poops, Brady is poop.

Broncos/Jags: Is Lawrence better or worse than a cooked Russ? Let's ride!

Panthers/Falcons: This matchup feels like staving off the inevitable.

Bears/Cowboys: Could be fun. Probably won't be. :(

Dolphins/Lions: Keep striving for that #1 pick, Detroit!

Steelers/Eagles: Battle of Pennsylvania. Would be funny if The Tittykisser gives the Eagles their first loss of the season.

Titans/Texans: I mean… sure?

Commanders/Colts: If you're not rooting for a tie I don't know what to tell you.

49'ers/Rams: Same ol' sorry rear end Rams49'ersRams!

Giants/Seahawks: May be a disaster but it will most likely be the most fun game to watch on Sunday.

Packers/Bills: This matchup looked more balanced in the preseason.

Bengals/Browns: May the Browns suffer in perpetuity for the Deshaun Watson trade.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Pron on VHS posted:

Pretty nice TNF game

A week ago I would have said that the TNF games looks marginally better than other TNF games but now...

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Giants are really rally banged up. At least 4 starters down. 2/5ths or 3/5s of the offensive line. Going to be a hard game for them.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Not looking forward to Thursday. Lamar is going to abuse Devin White.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Can't wait to see how many points the Broncos score in London. Will it be 6? 9? 10?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Goodbye InferiorJoshAllenlessFootball, Hello SuperiorJoshAllenFootball.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The bills off a bye against the falling apart packers seems like a good week to be aboard the gently caress Aaron rodgers express.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This thread title makes me feel powerful

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

really queer Christmas posted:

The bills off a bye against the falling apart packers seems like a good week to be aboard the gently caress Aaron rodgers express.
The only previous meeting of Allen and Rodgers was in Allen's third start and didn't go well for the Bills. Yet the 22-0 score almost now feels underwhelming and I'll be disappointed if Allen can't outscore him by more thsn that.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

solarjetman posted:

Can't wait to see how many points the Broncos score in London. Will it be 6? 9? 10?

They're going to put up 3 points in tribute to the local game.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Watch A.A.Ron somehow pants Allen & the Bills and people believing the Packers are still somewhat good.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Watch A.A.Ron somehow pants Allen & the Bills and people believing the Packers are still somewhat good.

Honestly with the way this season's going I wouldn't be shocked.

Also wouldn't be shocked if the Broncos scored as many points on the Jags in London as they have all season total and people think they're finally getting it together

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Broncos and Jags in London yikes.

Also lol that you all get to watch this absolutely terrible Browns team continue to get owned this week on Monday night football.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i have a kickball doubleheader on thursday night, saving me from watching my team's continued implosion, bless up

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

really queer Christmas posted:

this is 2022 so of course the Packers will win by 20

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Los Angeles Rams will win the Super Bowl

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DariusLikewise posted:

The Los Angeles Rams will win the Super Bowl

Right now they're just keeping the 3rd wildcard seat warm for Washington's football team.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Heading back to London this weekend to watch the preseason darlings Denver Broncos and Jacksonville Jaguars.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Don't know why everyone is so down on the Packers, sure they dropped a game to the Commanders but otherwise they've only lost to some of the greatest teams of the league in the Vikings (5-1) Jets (5-2) and Giants (6-1).

lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bears are back baby.

god the dallas defensive line is going to murder fields

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fields is a poor man's Hurts, and Dallas did a pretty good job defensively against the eagles. Shame about their offense, though.

Also, in the NFC here are the current strength of schedule numbers:

Above or at 0.500:
Lions: 0.650
Packers: 0.583
Cowboys: 0.565
Commanders/Cardinals: 0.522
Bears: 0.521
Rams: 0.512
Saints: 0.500

Below 0.500:
Giants 0.479
Eagles/Vikings: 0.475
Bucs: 0.476
49ers/Panthers: 0.458
Falcolns: 0.438
Seahawks: 0.370

I think the NFC north and Dallas suffer from having to play the NFCE. Commanders also have to play the NFCE and are up there. :lol: the seahawks have a cupcake schedule.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Fields is a poor man's Hurts, and Dallas did a pretty good job defensively against the eagles. Shame about their offense, though.

Above or at 0.500:

Below 0.500:
Giants 0.479

I think the NFC north and Dallas suffer from having to play the NFCE. Commanders also have to play the NFCE and are up there. :lol: the seahawks have a cupcake schedule.

We also have Geno Smith. Checkmate plebs :jecht:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The poor lions

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I really wish we had DJ Reader back for the Browns but I still feel really good about the match up overall.

Something to watch going into the game: the Bengals maybe reducing the play time or even benching Eli Apple. They played second round rookie Cam Taylor Britt for 30 snaps last week and he did pretty okay. Apple has not been bad largely up until now but the go he gave up vs the Falcons was just about disqualifying.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

eh, they are going to get the #1 pick and a quarterback to replace jared goff who replaced their last #1 quarterback its the ciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiircle of life

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The play the NFCE and the AFCE this year. Their 17th game is the Jags. Their same finish as last year opponents are the Seahawks and the Panthers. The easiest games they have remaining are just the Bears, Packers, and Panthers.

Just a murderous schedule. If you can find three sure wins in the rest of their season, you're a bolder person than I.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mr. Nice! posted:

Above or at 0.500:

Below 0.500:
Giants 0.479

I never know how much stock to put into SOS because yeah it makes sense that teams with bad records have high SOS, they keep losing so their opponents have more combined wins! And of course, the inverse is true for teams with good records.

Has anybody ever looked at end-of-season standings in comparison to SOS?

E: the funny thing about Detroit is that some of the excited chatter going into this season was fuels by a belief that they would have a relatively soft schedule this year. Now people are saying they have the hardest schedule in the league this year and you all wonder why us Lions fans are so beat down. It never ever ends.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 25, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

C-Euro posted:

I never know how much stock to put into SOS because yeah it makes sense that teams with bad records have high SOS, they keep losing so their opponents have more combined wins! And of course, the inverse is true for teams with good records.

Has anybody ever looked at end-of-season standings in comparison to SOS?

Last year:
AFC SoS for Playoff teams above 0.500:
Chiefs: 0.538
Raiders: 0.510
Steelers: 0.521

NFC:
49ers: 0.500

The only AFC team with a harder SoS than the Chiefs last year was the Ravens (0.531), who finished 12th of 16.

The highest SoS NFC team was the Giants at 0.536 followed closely by Washington at 0.529.

Yes, by construction teams with winning records are typically going to have SoS below those teams with bad records. However, it is still indicative of difficulty of schedule. It isn't the best, though, for reasons such as yours, which is why it is not the top tiebreaker. It isn't irrelevant, and outliers do definitely tell a story. The Lions and Seahawks are major outliers right now, and a quick glance at their schedules explains it. The Lions are playing almost every single good team this year and the Seahawks are playing almost every bad team this year.

C-Euro posted:

E: the funny thing about Detroit is that some of the excited chatter going into this season was fuels by a belief that they would have a relatively soft schedule this year. Now people are saying they have the hardest schedule in the league this year and you all wonder why us Lions fans are so beat down. It never ever ends.

The joys of parity.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I like it

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1584924059745255427?s=20&t=o4LXTt14skCxspdJ8ZTPlA

https://twitter.com/TDavenport_NFL/status/1584924922689867777?s=20&t=o4LXTt14skCxspdJ8ZTPlA

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 25, 2022

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol update

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1584924455217688577?s=20&t=PFYUlLFo99rkcZJ6kuvDFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mr. Nice! posted:

The play the NFCE and the AFCE this year. Their 17th game is the Jags. Their same finish as last year opponents are the Seahawks and the Panthers. The easiest games they have remaining are just the Bears, Packers, and Panthers.

Just a murderous schedule. If you can find three sure wins in the rest of their season, you're a bolder person than I.

There are no sure wins there of course since they're the Lions. Which is probably the most important point in this conversation.

But they get the Bears twice and the newly completely dysfunctional Packers twice. I do not actually believe in the Giants or Jets yet. Conversely I think the Jags are better than their record but they're the Jags. And Carolina's in there. Not saying they're going to be lighting up that schedule, but there are opportunities in there.

e: I've been whooshed, I'm easily whooshed.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 25, 2022