Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I got Rosalina Rabbid and her Yee haw and corpse run makes me want to disagree

That said Im very bad at this game and I'm not sure how to make teams lol. Mario being a all rounder and having two shots just seems like it's a must have, Luigi being able to shoot from 5 billion miles away perfectly seems too good to replace and my 3rd slot is what usually changes between R. Peach for heals and R. Mario just because I like punching

I was kinda happy the R. Rosalina boss fight let me have 4 members and sad that didn't stick, but I don't know how to use R. Luigi, Peach or Edge when the normal Bros seem so needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I got Rosalina Rabbid and her Yee haw and corpse run makes me want to disagree

That said Im very bad at this game and I'm not sure how to make teams lol. Mario being a all rounder and having two shots just seems like it's a must have, Luigi being able to shoot from 5 billion miles away perfectly seems too good to replace and my 3rd slot is what usually changes between R. Peach for heals and R. Mario just because I like punching

I was kinda happy the R. Rosalina boss fight let me have 4 members and sad that didn't stick, but I don't know how to use R. Luigi, Peach or Edge when the normal Bros seem so needed

Rabbid Luigi can hit multiple enemies in one attack and has a debuff that can be very helpful. Hitting a bunch of enemies with Gust or Frostbite is pretty great.

Edge can hit a bunch of enemies at once with her regular attack. Her counter can also apparently hit multiple enemies but I’ve never triggered that. She can also unlock multiple dashes which get progressively stronger and increase her movement range, which is great.

Peach can make people invincible for a few hits, which is pretty good. I hate her weapon though so I don’t use her much.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is 30 the max level? I got to 30 and then my characters’ exp bars filled up and just stopped lol if so, that sucks!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, that's enough for two complete trees and change. It kind of sucks to stop getting progress, but even 100%ing the game I only hit in the back half of the final world anyway.

I also amassed a gigantic hoard of star bits because I saved all of my free level up bottles until rank 4 and consequently rammed all of my sparks to level 5 much earlier than expected of me.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

drat, I thought those little shiny spirals on the ground were something interesting or would require a later power up. Really hosed up that they don’t explain them early on!

In case you’re wondering, if you spin the stick quickly your character will spin around, doing so on the shiny spiral will make coins pop out. How lame!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
30 is the max level, but you're pretty close to the end of the game at that point.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm in the flora planet after taking a break and the game really is just "Rabbid Mario uses gather round and then kills the entire map" huh

E: Or luigi runs to the end of the level while invisible ending a elaborate map in turn 2 because nothing could stop him lmao

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 15, 2022

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Even if it was only 1 turn the invisible spark would still be really good. They could reduce the range of Glitter and it'd also still be really good.

I'm hoping the dlc adds more challenging maps. I did enjoy the ultra challenge maps they added to Kingdom Battle.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Glitter is also just way stronger than Magnet Dance was for whatever reason. Magnet Dance was limited by the enemies' move ranges, but the movement range limit is way higher in Sparks. The thing is just straight up a vacuum. I think enemies only can't reach you if it takes too long for them to do so or if they get caught on map geometry.

I also wonder what made them decide to buff Rabbid Mario since he was already one of the strongest party members in the first game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Yeah, taking the friendly fire away from splash was just a bad decision. It was a mitigating factor on how strong aoe attacks were and you had to plan around it.

I like a lot of the little changes they made to the game, but the sparks letting you put stupidly powerful abilities on anyone you chose is going to result in some incredibly stupid combinations. Especially when the first one they give you is so stupidly broken.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat the game, end boss fight was neat and I’m glad they let you use all of the characters in one battle. (or three adjacent ones, depending on how you look at it)

I haven’t gone back to 100% each world yet, I am having a hard time finding some of the planet coins. I hate that a lot of them aren’t marked on the map so you have to wander around blind to find the hidden ones. I wish they would give you more hints once you beat the game or something.

By the way, doing the time trial version of the Secret Zones after getting the Spark gives you weapon skins that count toward getting 100% in a world. Once you have 100%, you get a special prize on the Progress screen (open the map and hit R twice). Seems to be more weapon skins but they’re ~~fancy~~

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I got a pretty good laugh at the cutscene with the sidequest where you gotta recover two(2) vinyl discs and everybody is dancing and having a good time, except for Edge, obviously, who reacts with barely-restrained contempt.

Also dashing into enemies and obliterating them with overwatches in mid-air never stops being great

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I must be missing something really obvious here but I was hoping to unlock Bowser before finishing the rest of the world where you get him, but I can't find the path to the town plaza. I read that you can do either of the two missions first and they both lead you into town, but I did the forest first and the path into town is blocked by a barrier that needs to be unlocked from the other side. Was the internet wrong about both paths leading there or am I dumb

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Argue posted:

I must be missing something really obvious here but I was hoping to unlock Bowser before finishing the rest of the world where you get him, but I can't find the path to the town plaza. I read that you can do either of the two missions first and they both lead you into town, but I did the forest first and the path into town is blocked by a barrier that needs to be unlocked from the other side. Was the internet wrong about both paths leading there or am I dumb

The game tells you to go to the dumb poet’s house to find a secret path into town. It’s there.

Edit: the Forest definitely doesn’t lead to town. But you have to go there first to unlock the scan ability iirc

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The game tells you to go to the dumb poet’s house to find a secret path into town. It’s there.

Edit: the Forest definitely doesn’t lead to town. But you have to go there first to unlock the scan ability iirc

Nah, you can definitely go to town first, because I did it that way.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, you can definitely go to town first, because I did it that way.

It probably unlocks the scan ability either way you go.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

You get scan from going to the forest first or going to the town first. It doesn't matter which way you go.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Any tips for Daphne 3?

I have Mario Luigi and Edge and due to her omni hits and the spam of the tiger dudes that can magnet you Luigi dies on turn 1 and damage goes insane elsewhere. It's really frustrating!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/nineverything/status/1598805472730939392?s=46&t=79UykyoT55rRs5ymwwxomQ

They fixed a bunch of glitches like not being able to get 100%, sometimes getting stuck out of bounds, and the glitch where the game crashed if you summoned an enemy during the final battle. They also added some QoL stuff.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Edge with multiple dashes and Mario+Luigi with multiple overwatch charges turning any battle into a clay pigeon shooting competition is hilarious and effective

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finished the game and I'm not sure if things were bugged but during the second fight of the last world, geometry kept flickering in and out worse than pokemon violet/scarlet lol. And the first phase of the final boss music was just a droning boring sound. Final boss OST in general was surprisingly awful. Like absolutely no energy to the point I wonder if something got mixed up and the tutorial theme was put in the wrong place or something.

I liked how they did the final boss in general but man, I just don't think it stuck the landing at all. I didn't really get Rabbid Rosalina's deal on why she cared about her real version so much and the ending just kinda happened.

More tech side of things but why did they decide to like, voice the first word of every line for everyone but beep-o and jeanie? It's especially awkward with Rosalina when she's only allowed to speak in wahoo's and yippees considering the fact

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rabbid Rosalina cosplays as Rosalina because she is obsessed with Rosalina. At least, that was the impression I got. She joins the team so she can help save Rosalina. Idk they probably talked about it when you recruited her on the winter world.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Fuckin lol at the world 3 spark sidequest with the lumberjack and his axe turning into a wild goose chase game of telephone until you break into the culprit's home with probable cause

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/MrMeatballl/status/1611775969043398657?s=20

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, "waaah" is waluigi's line!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Anybody still playing this game? There was an update today, sounds like the fist DLC wave is coming out this week.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tomorrow, I think. I saw the update as well.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tried it out tonight. It's mildly interesting. It's a little random battle gauntlet randomizer. You get your pick of 2 or 3 levels each of which gives some variety of skill points, star bits, sparks, heroes, and so on. Pick the stuff you want then win the battle and get a new draw to pick from. Repeat until you hit a checkpoint stage that has a single giant enemy fight option.

Got about 6 battles in and then my game crashed after picking one and the save for the run now crashes on load. Don't know how common that bug is, but it does mean I'd struggle to recommend it as is if that's at all common.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Sounds fun except for the crashing and corrupted save part. Maybe I'll wait to see how widespread that is before trying it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FoolyCharged posted:

Tried it out tonight. It's mildly interesting. It's a little random battle gauntlet randomizer. You get your pick of 2 or 3 levels each of which gives some variety of skill points, star bits, sparks, heroes, and so on. Pick the stuff you want then win the battle and get a new draw to pick from. Repeat until you hit a checkpoint stage that has a single giant enemy fight option.

Got about 6 battles in and then my game crashed after picking one and the save for the run now crashes on load. Don't know how common that bug is, but it does mean I'd struggle to recommend it as is if that's at all common.

Is it kind of rouge-like where you start at lv 1 with no skills or whatever? Or do you load your save and get whatever you had unlocked?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

You get a random draw of 4 heroes with a spark each at the start of every run. You have all the weapon skins from the main game, I don't know if character/spark/skin availability is tied to main game unlocks. If you clear all 10 battles you get a prize(it was a weapon skin on the run I did) and unlock the ability to play later runs on a difficulty +x mode.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I don't know why but I just lost all interest in this game shortly after reaching the ice world. Which sucks because I loved the first one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It very much felt two steps forward, one step back. It's mechanically even more fluid and I feel like combat is hugely improved, but a lot of the character from the original is gone. It's also piss easy and as of now doesn't have anything that really kicks your teeth in like the old hidden challenge maps did. Well, I guess if you enjoy the tower dlc enough to reach some of the last runs? I only did 2.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I don't know why but I just lost all interest in this game shortly after reaching the ice world. Which sucks because I loved the first one.

I'm in the exact same boat. I played the crap out of the game and did every encounter until the ice world. And now the map is a chore and every skirmish takes 20 mins. It's a bummer that I've lost momentum.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It flips to the opposite extreme soon. One of the sparks gives mag et dance and once that's in place the map encounters go by in seconds and make you question why they're even there

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FoolyCharged posted:

It very much felt two steps forward, one step back. It's mechanically even more fluid and I feel like combat is hugely improved, but a lot of the character from the original is gone. It's also piss easy and as of now doesn't have anything that really kicks your teeth in like the old hidden challenge maps did. Well, I guess if you enjoy the tower dlc enough to reach some of the last runs? I only did 2.

The giant enemy fights on Hard are really difficult, actually! And not in a fun way, imo. Overall the game is fairly challenging on hard. I ended up skipping a couple of giant enemies because I didn’t care enough to 100% the game.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Dang, I stopped in the ice world too. I really wanted to like it but it just had zero charm compared to the first game, at least so far.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The winter world is the second one… I guess the first half of that world isn’t great but once you pass the mountain and get to the second part it gets good. Then you unlock Rabbid Rosalina who rules.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Second wave of the DLC is launching today, it’s an entirely new planet with new story content and enemies.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1671524162693726212?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Just ran through it. Good if you wanted a bit more, but its also more of the same. There's two new enemy types: one of which is a variant on the big melee dudes, attacks in an aoe, needs you to dash them after depleting their health or they get back up and attack again on their turn, come in 3 different elemental flavors, and sacrifice a bunch of hp for their attack strengths. The other is an area denial guy that covers a bunch of spaces with goop that does some nasty damage if you walk in it and can fire over cover. Of the 5 new sparks only two do anything new and interesting: Berserk which gives an attack/defense buff based on how many enemies are in range, and one that confuses an enemy into joining your side for a turn with an unreliable roll to confuse up to three more. You can't pick the latter's main target, it's random. The other 3 just fill in some gaps on the elemental dash, meteor, and shockwave sets.

Trying a run of the first dlc to see if the new stuff gets backported, I haven't been able to read anything on if it is. No sign of it as of level 2

The missions were fun and felt pretty similar in difficulty to the base game. There's really not much more to say, it doesn't really innovate much on the base game's formula, it just adds more.