Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, the removal of friendly fire just turns rabbid mario and peach into complete monsters. Forget by world 3, they were shredding dudes before the end of world one.

E: also the first spark you get that boosts team damage is so comically broken. I don't think the world 2 final boss got a single enemy phase until the last round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Man, some hot pumpkin spice takes in this game

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I actually found Mario's overwatch tree the least interesting and powerful. His other two trees just play so nicely together.

E: but most importantly, bowser gets rabbid Mario's old bazooka without a cooldown and an army of exploding mini drones instead of just one big one like the old game. The team of him, rabbid mario, and peach with the enemy clumping spark is hilarious.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 26, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Speaking of beeps, if one of its upgrades doesn't involve one of my dudes manhandling it into a form of transportation I will be very disappointed at the downgrade from the originals dk dlc.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Mario's overwatch sucks on maps where theres small trash mobs running around, goombas act first and its like ok I didn't intend to waste skills on those.

Use it before you dash attack on your turn if you're just looking to pump more damage out. Bonus points for getting it on a specific choice of target

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Does the game explicitly say Edge is female? I assumed so but she also has kind of a deep voice and could even be a silly parody of a bishounen protagonist from a JRPG, which would make them a guy.

She's got ties to a group of characters that are all female. I think the game does call her she a time or two, but i couldn't tell you where.

Of course, the truth is that she identifies as a bench because sticking the literal edge lord on the bench all game is funny to me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Oh hey, that's something the game never told me or it did and I missed it, im not infallible

You can re-enter the little secret stages you open with the keys and replay them under a timer for gold weapon skins.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Reached the final battle and boy does it dislike summoned enemies.

The first phase has a mechanic where it marks a target on your team at random and then attacks it at the end of your turn.

Attempt #1: game hung up when the attack launched against my summoned oozer.

Attempt #2: Game full out crashed when the monster i summoned(marked for the big attack) was killed by incoming reinforcements.

I think I'll just change my load out for Attempt #3, it looks like they didn't bug test this at all.

E: yup stable as a rock without any summons on phase 1. They work fine on the later phases. Ended the game with rabbid mario punching a bunch of dudes to death all at once, a fitting way to end the run.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 30, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I mean, that's enough for two complete trees and change. It kind of sucks to stop getting progress, but even 100%ing the game I only hit in the back half of the final world anyway.

I also amassed a gigantic hoard of star bits because I saved all of my free level up bottles until rank 4 and consequently rammed all of my sparks to level 5 much earlier than expected of me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, taking the friendly fire away from splash was just a bad decision. It was a mitigating factor on how strong aoe attacks were and you had to plan around it.

I like a lot of the little changes they made to the game, but the sparks letting you put stupidly powerful abilities on anyone you chose is going to result in some incredibly stupid combinations. Especially when the first one they give you is so stupidly broken.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The game tells you to go to the dumb poet’s house to find a secret path into town. It’s there.

Edit: the Forest definitely doesn’t lead to town. But you have to go there first to unlock the scan ability iirc

Nah, you can definitely go to town first, because I did it that way.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, "waaah" is waluigi's line!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tomorrow, I think. I saw the update as well.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tried it out tonight. It's mildly interesting. It's a little random battle gauntlet randomizer. You get your pick of 2 or 3 levels each of which gives some variety of skill points, star bits, sparks, heroes, and so on. Pick the stuff you want then win the battle and get a new draw to pick from. Repeat until you hit a checkpoint stage that has a single giant enemy fight option.

Got about 6 battles in and then my game crashed after picking one and the save for the run now crashes on load. Don't know how common that bug is, but it does mean I'd struggle to recommend it as is if that's at all common.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

You get a random draw of 4 heroes with a spark each at the start of every run. You have all the weapon skins from the main game, I don't know if character/spark/skin availability is tied to main game unlocks. If you clear all 10 battles you get a prize(it was a weapon skin on the run I did) and unlock the ability to play later runs on a difficulty +x mode.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It very much felt two steps forward, one step back. It's mechanically even more fluid and I feel like combat is hugely improved, but a lot of the character from the original is gone. It's also piss easy and as of now doesn't have anything that really kicks your teeth in like the old hidden challenge maps did. Well, I guess if you enjoy the tower dlc enough to reach some of the last runs? I only did 2.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It flips to the opposite extreme soon. One of the sparks gives mag et dance and once that's in place the map encounters go by in seconds and make you question why they're even there

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Just ran through it. Good if you wanted a bit more, but its also more of the same. There's two new enemy types: one of which is a variant on the big melee dudes, attacks in an aoe, needs you to dash them after depleting their health or they get back up and attack again on their turn, come in 3 different elemental flavors, and sacrifice a bunch of hp for their attack strengths. The other is an area denial guy that covers a bunch of spaces with goop that does some nasty damage if you walk in it and can fire over cover. Of the 5 new sparks only two do anything new and interesting: Berserk which gives an attack/defense buff based on how many enemies are in range, and one that confuses an enemy into joining your side for a turn with an unreliable roll to confuse up to three more. You can't pick the latter's main target, it's random. The other 3 just fill in some gaps on the elemental dash, meteor, and shockwave sets.

Trying a run of the first dlc to see if the new stuff gets backported, I haven't been able to read anything on if it is. No sign of it as of level 2

The missions were fun and felt pretty similar in difficulty to the base game. There's really not much more to say, it doesn't really innovate much on the base game's formula, it just adds more.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Finished the run on the first wave of dlc. Didn't run into any of the new stuff from the second wave. Kind of a bummer they didn't back port any of the sparks and enemies(or I just failed to roll any of them, I suppose), but not unexpected.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, it's nothing new to the game, but its just more for anyone who wanted it. I found it pretty enjoyable, and music land was pretty nice to wander through.

e: I just wish the new enemies and sparks got backported into the first dlc. They were a welcome change to how I attacked the map and I kind of missed them in the tower. It also means rayman won't wind up in there either, which is a shame.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Rayman dlc has been all right. Rayman functionally gets a pair of sparks welded to him, and in exchange for his loss of customization, activating his costumes also modifies his weapon attack and normal ability.

I hope you like rabbid mario and rabbid peach, because that's all the party you get.

My general impression a good ways in is that this is basically a stripped-down version of the first dlc campaign. No new enemies so far, your party is locked to the same three people, doesn't really excite or bore. It's just more, and it's there, but so was the last one and it had more of more.