Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Mop top Bocchi it's okay to have a dalliance with a woman!

I was sort of expecting Bocchi to say she wasn't into girls, but then I remembered what magazine this ran in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Omnicrom posted:

Also shoutouts to the various impressive Dams across Japan. Top-notch cameo choice there.

It keeps being said by so many people, but I'll join the chorus with a "I was genuinely not expecting the show about starting a band to be one of the most visually stylish of the year".

It's so true, it's so good.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.
I need a gif of Ryou calling Bocchi a good girl

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/Incomp_/status/1588187064993861632

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I watched episode 5 and though the song they played was really good. I’m especially a sucker for moments when the music kicks into high gear when a character makes a heartfelt declaration, and Bocchi taking that step to really shred it, which reaches the other girls so they kick it up a notch too was rock

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Theres a really strong little detail there. When bocchi starts going harder ryo glances back at nijika, nijika nods, and only then does ryo start backing bocchi up. Its a really good visual way of getting across that nijika and ryo have been playing together a while.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

my suspension of disbelief is a little stretched by kita getting that good at guitar in like two weeks, even if she's just playing power chords, but w/e show kicks rear end

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the amount of time that has passed between episodes is pretty vague honestly, kita's so integrated into the group that it could have been a month or two.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

my suspension of disbelief is a little stretched by kita getting that good at guitar in like two weeks, even if she's just playing power chords, but w/e show kicks rear end

the one weakness of the show imo is there isn't really any audible hint of being not as good at doing music initially and getting better later (or at least more grown into their own style) the way there is with like euphonium or paripi km. that's not a must tho and it's probably fairly expensive to implement. the animation gags are definitely more important for this series

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Fiye posted:

I need a gif of Ryou calling Bocchi a good girl

I made it

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
By the way, I know vtuber poo poo is verboten, but is anyone else totally parsing this show as the "Rosemi Lovelock joins a rock band" show? Because it fits perfectly.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
No

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Talorat posted:

By the way, I know vtuber poo poo is verboten, but is anyone else totally parsing this show as the "Rosemi Lovelock joins a rock band" show? Because it fits perfectly.
nay

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Happiness spiral, totally healthy.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Alcoholism is bad, kids.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kids, try this at home!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Bocchi imagining herself drunk got a little too real :stare:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

duz posted:

Kids, try this at home!

This, but replace booze with Bocchi

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SgtSteel91 posted:

Bocchi imagining herself drunk got a little too real :stare:

Yeah, that was rough to watch...

Then again I'm firmly of the opinion that a comedy story knowing when to get serious is an extremely rare and valuable trait. See also Bocchi's magazine neighbor in Machikado Mazoku which wouldn't be half as excellent as it is if it didn't know when and how to transition into actually heavy subject matter.

Relatedly the other really strong scene in the episode to me is the other girls in Kesshoku Band being totally serious about Bocchi and her problems and wondering if they put too much pressure on her to sell tickets. There's that old chestnut about laughing at versus laughing with someone, and while Bocchi's hangups are often the focus of jokes the series so far has done a really good job consistently sympathizing with her and getting across her problems non-judgmentally and showing her progress fairly realistically.

So not only is the show really funny and really stylish, it's actually very well written.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Yeah, that was rough to watch...

Then again I'm firmly of the opinion that a comedy story knowing when to get serious is an extremely rare and valuable trait. See also Bocchi's magazine neighbor in Machikado Mazoku which wouldn't be half as excellent as it is if it didn't know when and how to transition into actually heavy subject matter.

Relatedly the other really strong scene in the episode to me is the other girls in Kesshoku Band being totally serious about Bocchi and her problems and wondering if they put too much pressure on her to sell tickets. There's that old chestnut about laughing at versus laughing with someone, and while Bocchi's hangups are often the focus of jokes the series so far has done a really good job consistently sympathizing with her and getting across her problems non-judgmentally and showing her progress fairly realistically.

So not only is the show really funny and really stylish, it's actually very well written.

Yeah, I really liked that Kita talked about Bocchi at their school, how she tries to invite Bocchi to hang out with her at lunch,Bocchi isn’t being bullied and, at best, the students in Bocchi’s class are just as awkward as she is and just don’t know how to approach her.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bocchi is being bullied, by herself

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This show remains a treasure. Every little step Bocchi takes feels earned. She is growing up and learning to deal with her social anxiety and it's hard not to root for her.

Even if the lessons are now coming from a disturbing alcoholic hobo lady.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Saoshyant posted:

This show remains a treasure. Every little step Bocchi takes feels earned. She is growing up and learning to deal with her social anxiety and it's hard not to root for her.

Even if the lessons are now coming from a disturbing alcoholic hobo lady.

Who can shred a mean bass.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Fist of the Bocchi!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

speaking of the show mostly being nice to bocchi, it isnt the biggest deal but i think they overdid her parents being mean to her a bit.

still ends in a positive spot for her so not the biggest deal in the world but they could have cut one or two lines imo

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 19, 2022

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well it wasn't in a row, but I still cannot believe Bocchi-chan is loving dead for the third time.

Also I cannot remember the last time I laughed as hard at ANYTHING than I did at the makeover scene.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Of course her sister's name is Futari.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The little sister being low key the meanest person in the household is kind of funny

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

this show rules, it could've easily just been hitoribocchi with guitars or k-on with social anxiety, but the level of character and creativity on display every week makes it so much more. you love to see it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

How does it keep happening??

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Well it wasn't in a row, but I still cannot believe Bocchi-chan is loving dead for the third time.

Also I cannot remember the last time I laughed as hard at ANYTHING than I did at the makeover scene.

Not only did Bocchi die, she became radioactive and killed the other two girls

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The music 100% made that scene. Made it feel like a Ghibli film

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Having had my own similar experiences with sport events in school, I felt that too.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I love this loving show but there might be such a thing as being too relatable. Getting pelted with a barrage of traumatic high school flashbacks to the point I end every episode battered and bruised

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SgtSteel91 posted:

Not only did Bocchi die, she became radioactive and killed the other two girls

Don't breath in Bocchi ashes everyone, don't be like the DIY girls and wear PPE if your bandmate burns to ash.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

this show owns bones. i've only watched the first three eps but mostly b/c a friend group wants to go through it together and it's killing me waiting for them lol

kirtar posted:

Of course her sister's name is Futari.

holy poo poo i've finally found the final av quartet member

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

SexyBlindfold posted:

I love this loving show but there might be such a thing as being too relatable.
I've had the "are you growing your hair out?" conversation more than once.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This show is astonishingly good.

That entire makeover scene was masterful. Her family being rude, especially her sister. And oh man the start of the episode was sublime, seeing Bocchi just standing there waiting for her friends and the building dread cause you know something cringeworthy is right around the corner and oh man, it's just great :allears:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

It's overstaying its welcome with how long some of the bits drag on imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

doomisland posted:

It's overstaying its welcome with how long some of the bits drag on imo.

Oddly I've had the opposite experience, the first two episodes were a little bit rough for me in terms of lingering cringe and in terms of how they were using the heroine, but I believe that since then the show has improved its pacing and more importantly started moving its characters.

Also her parents, woof. I have had so many experiences with my parents utterly crushing me without even realizing it. Bocchi's folks are a little exaggerated, but honestly not by much…