Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

stan = people or things you idolize
ratio = a comparison of your following & follower counts

Not to be pedantic, but for clarification, "stan" basically means "stand up for" as a verb, but as a noun the stan it's the idolizer.
Also, ratio is usually used with a negative connotation because posts with a lot of comments usually means the post is poorly received, so people are "ratioing" it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
its gonna be pogchampion

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Maybe if this finally kills Twitter he’ll have actually done something worthwhile

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Pontificating rear end posted:

Not to be pedantic, but for clarification, "stan" basically means "stand up for" as a verb, but as a noun the stan it's the idolizer.
Also, ratio is usually used with a negative connotation because posts with a lot of comments usually means the post is poorly received, so people are "ratioing" it.

No, it's from the Eminem song about his fictional stalker who is named Stan. The song is also named Stan

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
"Stan = stand up for" would fit really well in the stuff you can't believe you just figured out thread.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bargearse posted:

Maybe if this finally kills Twitter he’ll have actually done something worthwhile

:hmmyes:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Stan is for Stan Lee, a man who was notoriously upbeat and excited about things.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Pontificating rear end posted:

take it up with wikihow i plagiarised the whole thing :sickos:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Alternatively, I could also see it result in Musk neuralinking to Twitter and becoming the Lawnmower Man of vapid bigotry before his batteries catch fire and he can't use the escape hatch because it doesn't have an unpowered safety latch.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Counterpoint: the last time he did that hyperloop happened

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

KitConstantine posted:

No, it's from the Eminem song about his fictional stalker who is named Stan. The song is also named Stan

Makes sense, I think we should do this with more names

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Like maybe "we musk about politics on the forums" wherein "musk" refers to someone to professes to have knowledge about something they dont know anything about

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Elon musk's dad got his stepsister pregnant twice lol

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Elon musk's dad got his stepsister pregnant twice lol

Don't pullout game shame. I have notoriously weak pullout game.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

jesus christ

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

some posting tips for twitter posters:
if you like posting about politics go straight to yospos.
have fun
also i like to roll my turds into little crayons and use them to write letters to santa

brave of you to admit this

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Jillian poo poo posted:

SA posters have no clout. We need posting superstars!

Hey pal, I'm postin' my rear end off over here, even us up here on top of the stack ranking can only do so much. Don't forget this is a group effort!

KitConstantine posted:

Counterpoint: the last time he did that hyperloop happened

I had entirely forgotten hyperloop existed until you just mentioned it. A friend of mine (who also got sucked deep into cryptocurrency) was convinced that hyperloop was inevitable, not just because of Elon, but also because it showed up in one episode of Westworld.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

olives black posted:

brave of you to admit this

why, posting in yospos or qcs are perfectly valid choices for the new reg and nothing much to be ashamed of

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

so how much longer until elon sells twitter to jeffery?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I’m in the midst of a week suspension for saying “someone put this nerd in a barrel and roll it in the river”

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Someone remind me why the destruction of Twitter is a bad thing?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ratio specifically means when someone comments on your post and that comment gets more likes than your original post I don't even use twitter and I know this smh

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

sigher posted:

Because it means people will stop posting links to tweets people have made of bad takes to get attention which is functionally the same as ignoring them which some people are just incapable of doing.

Edit its half 6 in the morning and I can't read

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

sigher posted:

it'll set off a great poster migration many times larger than the Tumblr one

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Won't someone think of the poor 200k a year twitter employees who joined up to run a toxic propaganda platform??

Macatt
May 3, 2005
I was under the impression that ratio referred to a disproportionate number of likes versus retweets and comments, the implication being that if people are replying without also liking, they're presumably arguing against your tweet. It's obviously unreliable, but I think it's still the closest thing to an at-a-glace numerical metric for judging (dis)agreement with tweets.

Similarly, in the time since YouTube hid the dislike counts, I feel like I've seen people repurpose ratio to compare a video's views with its likes, which is even more flawed than the bespoke Twitter system because now the presumption is that everyone actually bothers voting on everything they view.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I get the feeling this whole "social media" thing just isn't all that great.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

apowe posted:

I was under the impression that ratio referred to a disproportionate number of likes versus retweets and comments, the implication being that if people are replying without also liking, they're presumably arguing against your tweet. It's obviously unreliable, but I think it's still the closest thing to an at-a-glace numerical metric for judging (dis)agreement with tweets.

Similarly, in the time since YouTube hid the dislike counts, I feel like I've seen people repurpose ratio to compare a video's views with its likes, which is even more flawed than the bespoke Twitter system because now the presumption is that everyone actually bothers voting on everything they view.

this is true but the closest thing to a ratio on sa is "gas thread ban op"

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

OP, Musk is going to let DonalD Trump back on Twitter and then people will flock to it to watch DT’s finger diarrhea horror show in real time.

Still not going stop Twitter from losing money.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

twitter? more like shitter!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

what's everyone having for breakfast im thinking a donut and coffee (not a cop)

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i'm havin that too, except without the donut

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Wendigee posted:

twitter? more like shitter!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ł ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Seth Pecksniff posted:

If you posted like poo poo it'd be an improvement

:holymoley:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
elon is going to buy twitter and then twitter is going to poo poo the bed and everyone is going to leave for some new stupid thing and elon is going to be real mad about it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The Voice of Labor posted:

so how much longer until elon sells twitter to jeffery?

Here’s hoping that the final arc of Elon’s life follows Lowtax’s exactly

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hammerite posted:

elon is going to buy twitter and then twitter is going to poo poo the bed and everyone is going to leave for some new stupid thing and elon is going to be real mad about it

twitter's already making GBS threads the bed. elon's just gonna be the biggest turd in it

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Here’s hoping that the final arc of Elon’s life follows Lowtax’s exactly

:yeah:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001