Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Seth Pecksniff posted:

If you posted like poo poo it'd be an improvement

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bargearse posted:

Maybe if this finally kills Twitter he’ll have actually done something worthwhile

:hmmyes:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Alternatively, I could also see it result in Musk neuralinking to Twitter and becoming the Lawnmower Man of vapid bigotry before his batteries catch fire and he can't use the escape hatch because it doesn't have an unpowered safety latch.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I get the feeling this whole "social media" thing just isn't all that great.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

like to think of misanthrope out there somewhere, roaming the open roads of America's heartland, posting a few times a year when he gets a connection

:same:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Please spoiler offensive content like this.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I guess General Motors has "paused" their advertising on Twitter due to concerns about the new ownership. Musk has been in charge for literal days and companies are already distancing themselves from Twitter.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

GM also directly competes with one of elon's other companies. wouldn't be surprised if more car companies decide not to enrich their competitor with ad buys.

Good point - I hadn't considered that.

Still, I would love to see an exodus of advertisers as Twitter descends into a morass of the n-word and cryptoscams.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yep. the quality of poster is going way down and that is causing my posting credit to skyrocket in comparison

:thunk:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pontificating rear end posted:

Twitter is a world of cliques, and you would comment on high-profile peoples' posts with jokes, ideally, until you pick up some of their followers.

Why the gently caress would I want followers? I crossed "cult leader" off my possible career options list years ago.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

what twitter really needs to turn itself around is megathreads

I like the cut of your jib.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Why hasn't Twitter's stock price plummeted? Goddamnit, I want to watch it crash like Bitcoin!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sophy Wackles posted:

You’re going to have to imagine the stock price movements in your head from now on.

KitConstantine posted:

It won't - Elon bought it out at over twice the worth to take it private. It won't be publicly traded from now on unless he changes his mind again and why would that happen it would be stu....

So give it a month?

I should have realized it was delisted - I was overcome by the mental image of the stock price plunging into the abyss and didn't think it through.

I wonder if he'll try to sell Twitter NFTs between now and the inevitable extinction of the company?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

In addition to Safari, which to my knowledge only exists on Apple now, you do have niche stuff that nobody other than the really nerdy are aware of, like Falkon and Konqueror. The latter is Linux-only AFAIK, but Falkon will run on Windows. Most people are unaware of how much of a monoculture web browsers have become - in many ways Chrome is the new Internet Explorer, in all the bad ways.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

safari is apple only, but because it's what's used on iphones and ipads it's the #2 browser globally, behind chrome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

firefox and edge could probably be considered niche browsers at this point, except on PCs, but even then they're only about 10% of users (each).

Yeah, I know, but it's kind of a parallel Internet Explorer thing there, too. I don't know if it affects those numbers, but I also wonder how many people using iDevices realize that no matter what browser they think they are running it is basically just a skin over Safari.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is there a betting pool on how long Twitter will survive now Elon took over? Anyone have a head of lettuce on a live cam yet?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

sa doesn't need a mastodon server it has a forums over 9000 Discords

Fixed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

NO IRONIC POSTING IN GBS unless the thread is clearly marked as parody

You did not include a /s signifier, so we will take your suggestion seriously and implement it ASAP.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

10-day free trial for new accounts from Twitter but they randomly get goatsed until they pay up.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think they are paying their respects to Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

big black turnout posted:

I did! But nobody I knew used it and I don't think I had unlimited text messages yet so it was just an empty novelty a few times before I ignored it for years

I have never lowered myself to having a Twitter account, but I did used to text searches to Google. That was a neat feature that nobody knew existed and was quietly killed in like 2011 or so.