Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm moving to gab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's a shame because my new account was just getting warmed up

Don't.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 26, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

FuturePastNow posted:

lol did twitter's background color change from blue to black

our background means death

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i wonder how many small, insular communities from the early internet still exist where the users say "this is the only good social website remaining on the entire internet, all the other stuff is full of ads and nazi trash"

this can't be the only one

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

GM also directly competes with one of elon's other companies. wouldn't be surprised if more car companies decide not to enrich their competitor with ad buys.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

could a mod please verify me as an important user before all the new accounts flood this place?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

deep dish peat moss posted:

Imagine if there was really a big retro forum resurgence and Something Awful finally overtook Gaia Online and that bodybuilding forum to be the largest internet forum

i believe we’re already the largest by gross tonnage

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

twitter as an actual social network is not very good. there's no real community organization there or good ways to find people with similar interests, you either already have friends on there or you're just screaming into the void. it's a great platform for announcements if you already have followers, or sharing art you've made for a fandom or whatever, but absolutely terrible for back and forth conversation. the notion that it's a town square and people are having meaningful discussions is absurd.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

what twitter really needs to turn itself around is megathreads

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

deep dish peat moss posted:

with the competition being gaia online and a bodybuilding forum I'm not so sure

gross tonnage is a measurement of internal volume, so i'm pretty sure we have the bodybuilding forum beat. they may be as heavy, but muscle is denser than flab. good point about gaia online though, could have a real run waddle for your money there.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i logged into my mastodon account just out of curiosity a bit last night and today. it's on the largest node (mastodon.social) run by the project creator and it's super slow, with images failing to load and scrolling freezing intermittently. saw a post from the creator that they've done several hardware upgrades this week already, and it's still like this. they must be seeing a huge influx of activity.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

safari isn't based on chromium either. i use chrome at work because it's what IT gives us along with edge, but at home it's firefox or safari only and the internet still works fine. it's not hard to swap browsers if your ad blocker suddenly stops working, and anyone who actually uses one won't be able to tolerate going back to an internet with ads everywhere. doesn't matter what the people who aren't using an ad blocker do.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

CaptainSarcastic posted:

In addition to Safari, which to my knowledge only exists on Apple now, you do have niche stuff that nobody other than the really nerdy are aware of, like Falkon and Konqueror.

safari is apple only, but because it's what's used on iphones and ipads it's the #2 browser globally, behind chrome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

firefox and edge could probably be considered niche browsers at this point, except on PCs, but even then they're only about 10% of users (each).

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you need the mastodon instance so that the forums have an offsite for controlled opposition

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we’ve been posting good for you the past week, but the honeymoon is over and we’re gonna get back to our usual standard, in fact i’m taking off my office casual posting attire and getting back into sweatpants as we speak.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

CaptainSarcastic posted:

10-day free trial for new accounts from Twitter but they randomly get goatsed until they pay up.

but can i buy this feature for someone else’s account?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

The number one response I have gotten talking to non twitter people about Mastodon is "you mean the metal band?"

it's called masterbatedone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just shitpost on a discord with your irl friends

or shitpost on a discord with your online friends

or shitpost on this website with the furries you were wrong about and have apologized to