Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Flimf posted:

Check this video out :buddy:

:siren: ENDING AND 3- LOCK SAFE SPOILER :siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTfB8yOEa0U

It's not mine and I have no idea how that happened either.

That 3-lock safe is also there the first time you visit that room

Wow. I dont recognize a single thing in this video. I can't recall how to get there.

Finished once. And the ending I got was named memory. Im getting really curious to how much I missed. I thought I was decently thorough.

E: and Im still super fuzzy on all sorts of details regarding the story, but in a good way. I feel compelled to go figure out more on my own. Konami should be paying attention to how Signalis does it. Its basically legit Silent Hill.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mindblast posted:

Wow. I dont recognize a single thing in this video. I can't recall how to get there.

Finished once. And the ending I got was named memory. Im getting really curious to how much I missed. I thought I was decently thorough.

the only thing i know that i missed is there's apparently an opportunity to find isa in the mines and bring her some water. i never saw her at all in that zone

i also got the Memory ending, which feels like the "neutral" one along with Leave (bad), Promise ("good" or at least the most fitting) and Artifact (WHAT DID YOU DO)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, I think it's going to take a minute to figure out what triggers the endings. I'm theorizing it's more of a Silent Hill 2 thing where the actions that have an impact on your ending aren't the obvious factors, like your time spent in-game or final kill count.

Oxxidation posted:

the only thing i know that i missed is there's apparently an opportunity to find isa in the mines and bring her some water. i never saw her at all in that zone

There seems to be a communication breakdown around that. A lot of people seem to have found the bottle of ammonia in Nowhere and didn't put it together that it would wake Isa up. More to the point, people seem to keep calling the bottle "water."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the thing that's wigging me out most about the story at the moment is the medical log in in the final zone implying that all of the Replikants were based on Ariane's old classmates (notably Adler's face is among them and like the Replikants he's the only male in the roster), but that's a) not possible, because Replikants existed long before those people did, and b) not a fantasy of Ariane's either, because Elster being a Replikant is established before the ship's reactor failed and everything went horrible. the fact that psychics are an established fact in this setting and you're basically running through a horrible feedback loop of other people's dying memories makes reality ambiguous without resorting to "it was all the protagonist's dying dream." we know the final zone is being influenced by Ariane, but the mining station supposedly went berserk from the Falcon unit unwittingly broadcasting those same memories to the rest of the crew. is the Falcon unit "real," and were her memories from Ariane directly or acquired secondhand from Elster? Isa and her memories are contaminating the environment as well, but how much? how did the Penrose crash-land back on Leng despite spending approximately 8 to 10 earth years drifting out in deep space?

i'm pretty sure that Elster's initial setting and objective were memory contamination from Ariane - she was going to be sent to that mining station if deep space didn't pan out, and the "Ariane" from the photo is just someone who caught her eye when she was still at home. the station's reliance on radio frequencies might also have been influenced by Ariane spending her childhood alone in a radio tower (the same one in the FPS segment where we first get the radio module). but i'm not sure if it's possible to separate out the mental constructs from the reality of Signalis's setting, which is appropriate considering how often the game alludes to an undifferentiated sea of flesh on the shores of Carcosa

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Don't mouse over unless you finished it all.

Replikants may have already existed, but what about the current models? Maybe the newer ones were all from her class.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mindblast posted:

Don't mouse over unless you finished it all.

Replikants may exist, but what about the current models? Maybe the newer ones were all from her class.

the dossier entries for each replika suggested that they all arise from the same template, to the point where their anti-rampancy protocols are based around sating and appealing to their base personalities. the odd one out is Elster herself, since her template was apparently "lost," but i didn't read the sealed envelope in the ship flashback so i don't know how that affects her dossier

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

the dossier entries for each replika suggested that they all arise from the same template, to the point where their anti-rampancy protocols are based around sating and appealing to their base personalities. the odd one out is Elster herself, since her template was apparently "lost," but i didn't read the sealed envelope in the ship flashback so i don't know how that affects her dossier

That file was interesting
The neural network comes from a Vinetan soldier. Their personality is stable, but they're loners. They should be left alone. They should not listen to music, watch movies, or be shown anything related to war. And last but not least, they should not be befriended. All of these would lead to persona destabilization.

Ariane basically broke every rule, without even knowing it. Can't blame her regardless. That loneliness would drive anyone crazy.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Non-story discussion:

CRT filter or no?

Seems to be one of the better ones I've seen, but I'm not retro enthusiast.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Oxxidation posted:

the odd one out is Elster herself, since her template was apparently "lost," but i didn't read the sealed envelope in the ship flashback so i don't know how that affects her dossier

Mindblast posted:

That file was interesting
The neural network comes from a Vinetan soldier. Their personality is stable, but they're loners. They should be left alone. They should not listen to music, watch movies, or be shown anything related to war. And last but not least, they should not be befriended. All of these would lead to persona destabilization.

Ariane basically broke every rule, without even knowing it. Can't blame her regardless. That loneliness would drive anyone crazy.

More commentary about that file, chapter 3 spoilers: you find the undamaged photo of Alina Seo in the photo shop in Rotfront and the second person in the photo is, in fact, a very human-looking Elster. That's almost certainly the base Gestalt for the Elster replika. It might also explain how Elster and Ariane grew so close on the Penrose, since another note right before the final fight references how similar Alina and Ariane look. Elster even mixes them up! In the prologue, the photo we find is the white-haired Ariane as expected but as soon as we move to chapter 1, Elster has the photo of Alina Seo instead and is looking for her instead.

Gets stranger, of course. When you find that undamaged photo it has a list of names and one of them is a woman who shares a last name with both Isolde and Erika. Perhaps their mother? Makes you wonder how long ago that photo was taken. There are other notes that seem to imply Vineta has gotten super hosed up in the war with shots of ruined buildings and a news article about a supply blockade, and I note none of these characters who originated on Vineta live there anymore.

There's a lot of subtle repeating details that are left open to interpretation too; in that same photo, the human Elster has a medical patch over one of her eyes. Eye trauma becomes a repeating theme for most of our named characters too; Iso has lost an eye when we find her in Rotfront. Adler gets stabbed in the same eye. Later Elster gets stabbed in the same eye as well. What does it mean? Who knows!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

One of the incidental Lovecraft shout-outs that Signalis calls almost no attention to, but which strikes me as important, is the planet being named Leng.

If you aren't a big Mythos nerd: Leng is described variously in Lovecraft's fiction as an icy plateau somewhere, possibly in central Asia, or as a location in the Dreamlands that's only accessible via sleep. It's supposedly a place where different realities overlap and converge.

Three of the other planets in the system, Buyan, Vineta, and Kitezh, are also named after mythical locations that are difficult to reach, none of which I'd ever heard of before. The standout is Rotfront, which doesn't seem to have a mythical connotation; it's a small village in central Asia that was founded by Germans. That being said, it works as another Leng connection of sorts.

One of the earlier trailers describes the game as "a dream about dreaming," which feels like a more apt description of the game than I gave it credit for. With that in mind, it strikes me that Signalis isn't so much open to multiple interpretations as that all of the possible interpretations are meant to not only be valid, but to potentially co-exist without contradiction.

That could include:

* Ariane is "bioresonant," and Elster is caught up in her dying dreams/fantasies as Ariane slowly succumbs to radiation poisoning. They never actually leave the ship, and most of the game's events are Ariane's delirious speculation on how her life might've been if she hadn't been assigned to the Penrose mission.

All the reality-distortion Lovecraft stuff is in there because Ariane read her mother's banned copy of The King in Yellow when she was a kid; the "real" Elster is long dead, because her programming broke and it left her too sentimental to keep her promise to euthanize Ariane. (This is probably the most boring version of the game, as far as I'm concerned, but it's also the most straightforward.)

* Eusan was actively prevented from realizing that Ariane, who is otherwise pretty useless by Eusan's job placement guidelines, is bioresonant. They proceeded to send her to the last place they should've, an isolated planet where the walls of reality are very thin, and unleashed something that way. Ariane ended up pulling another version of herself through to Leng, who was in even worse shape overall, but who had an android partner who could act to resolve the situation. (The personnel logs on B2/B3 indicate that if the overseers had suspected Ariane was bioresonant, they'd have at least arrested her if not killed her outright.)

* There was something bad slumbering below the surface of Leng, and when it interacted with Ariane, it distorted reality in ways that ended up being very specific to her. She ended up as the sum of her own parts, simultaneously the dying starship pilot and the mining colonist, but the "sickness" took its toll on everyone and everything around her. Elster is out to find "her" Ariane, but ends up dealing with the other Ariane's situation.

(There's a vague implication from the medical records on Rotfront that miner!Ariane was suffering from bizarre, out-of-nowhere symptoms that roughly matched pilot!Ariane's radiation poisoning.)

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Meiteron posted:

More commentary about that file, chapter 3 spoilers: you find the undamaged photo of Alina Seo in the photo shop in Rotfront and the second person in the photo is, in fact, a very human-looking Elster. That's almost certainly the base Gestalt for the Elster replika. It might also explain how Elster and Ariane grew so close on the Penrose, since another note right before the final fight references how similar Alina and Ariane look. Elster even mixes them up! In the prologue, the photo we find is the white-haired Ariane as expected but as soon as we move to chapter 1, Elster has the photo of Alina Seo instead and is looking for her instead.

Gets stranger, of course. When you find that undamaged photo it has a list of names and one of them is a woman who shares a last name with both Isolde and Erika. Perhaps their mother? Makes you wonder how long ago that photo was taken. There are other notes that seem to imply Vineta has gotten super hosed up in the war with shots of ruined buildings and a news article about a supply blockade, and I note none of these characters who originated on Vineta live there anymore.

There's a lot of subtle repeating details that are left open to interpretation too; in that same photo, the human Elster has a medical patch over one of her eyes. Eye trauma becomes a repeating theme for most of our named characters too; Iso has lost an eye when we find her in Rotfront. Adler gets stabbed in the same eye. Later Elster gets stabbed in the same eye as well. What does it mean? Who knows!

This only makes it stranger. Alina's miner diary has her talking about her slowly turning *into* Ariane, and she's curious about what happened to her bud Elster despite the fact that makes no sense because both Adler and Colibri comment on how they never had even a single Elster unit on the colony. They considered to get a single one at some point, but ended up not doing it.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Wanderer posted:

One of the earlier trailers describes the game as "a dream about dreaming," which feels like a more apt description of the game than I gave it credit for. With that in mind, it strikes me that Signalis isn't so much open to multiple interpretations as that all of the possible interpretations are meant to not only be valid, but to potentially co-exist without contradiction.

Here's another one to add onto your pile (whole game spoilers, obviously):

Sort of a synthesis of your first and second takes, Ariane is indeed a powerful bioresonant who probably shouldn't have been put on that on that ship but, hey, Eusan is pretty hosed up. When symptoms of radiation poisoning become serious, she is put into cryostasis by Elster, but Elster dies of the same cause while leaving Ariane in stasis. We find the body of that original Elster right at the very end. Ariane is now trapped, suffering, and alone.

She is still a powerful bioresonant, so she uses a feature of bioresonance that is already commonplace in the world - sending a mental pattern to a replika. She is explicitly sending her Elster back to another Replika, who will then try to make it back to her so that she can end Ariane's suffering. That's the promise.

The issue is, of course, that Ariane probably has no experience with bioresonance on this scale. We know the scale can be large, because they directly reference terraforming and gravity manipulation as things bioresonance can do. The leader of the Eusan Nation is a powerful bioresonant credited for letting them settle the solar system in the first place. Doing this stuff wrong probably causes a lot of problems - things artfully described by Adler at one point as "reality being broken down and put back together by someone who doesn't know what they're doing".

Hence, things like a gruesome plague that break down biological parts. Or accidentally broadcasting mental patterns too strongly - Falke gets exposed to the signal and loses herself in Elster's memories, and Alina Seo has a journal entry where she notes her hair is turning white and referencing an "Elster" who shouldn't even be on the planet- so maybe Ariane is sending more than she intends. Blowing a hole in spacetime to connect a deep mine on Leng to a planet somewhere in the Oort Cloud that has a stranded ship on it? Sure, why not. The entire segment in Rotfront is influenced by Ariane's trauma. Right before then you find a note from Ariane about losing teeth; picking up the Tower card in Rotfront proper you see some loose teeth near some of the mass of flesh. All of Rotfront is Ariane trying to process (or repress) what's happening to her through her memories.

It's a desperate long shot and it doesn't work the first time. Ariane then starts a time loop, a day repeats, and another Replika gets Elster's psyche and she starts trying again. And again, and again, judging by the number of Elster bodies you walk by in that elevator shaft. My personal take is that the Leave and Memories endings are previous, failed loops that almost but didn't quite get it done. Our Elster even appropriates an arm and chest plate from another dead Elster resting exactly where she rests in the Memories ending. Only the Promise ending actually ends things, when you reach Ariane and she's lucid enough to ask for euthanasia, which Elster grants.

I sort of have to hand wave how this is possible because the only explicit expression of bioresonance in the game is Falke chucking some spears at you in the final fight, although having seen the hidden fourth ending I wonder if there actually is a lovecraft style elder god on that planet that is giving Ariane enough juice to pull this off.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Meiteron posted:

Here's another one to add onto your pile (whole game spoilers, obviously):

Sort of a synthesis of your first and second takes, Ariane is indeed a powerful bioresonant who probably shouldn't have been put on that on that ship but, hey, Eusan is pretty hosed up..

I like that a lot. There's stuff in there I hadn't picked up on.

I'd add to the above point: there are a couple of notes in the Rotfront segment about how someone in the neighborhood is suspected of being a double agent. The file in the subway locker indicates that yeah, that was correct; the double agent gets out of town before they're discovered, but leaves a note in their dead drop about how Ariane is definitely bioresonant.

It strikes me as strange that the double agent knows that but Eusan doesn't, which is the source of my thought that the double agent actively edited Ariane's personnel files to conceal her bioresonance. Eusan might've done all sorts of different things with Ariane that didn't involve her near-guaranteed death if they'd known she was also a powerful latent psychic.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

hand-wave or not, i like this interpretation, because it also explains adler's crushing sense of deja-vu and how he recognizes elster on arrival. if we're going to square the circle between dream and reality, then ariane remote-transmitting bioresonance all the way back to leng would do it, though you'd probably have to accept the final scene's euthanasia as a "mind makes it real" scenario where elster killing ariane in her own resonant construct lets her physical body in deep space die as well

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Wanderer posted:

I like that a lot. There's stuff in there I hadn't picked up on.

I'd add to the above point: there are a couple of notes in the Rotfront segment about how someone in the neighborhood is suspected of being a double agent. The file in the subway locker indicates that yeah, that was correct; the double agent gets out of town before they're discovered, but leaves a note in their dead drop about how Ariane is definitely bioresonant.

It strikes me as strange that the double agent knows that but Eusan doesn't, which is the source of my thought that the double agent actively edited Ariane's personnel files to conceal her bioresonance. Eusan might've done all sorts of different things with Ariane that didn't involve her near-guaranteed death if they'd known she was also a powerful latent psychic.

This was also something I hadn't picked up on but makes a lot of sense to me. If you look at the medical records you find on the blue disk in Rotfront, Ariane has an entry but her doctor's notes have been "removed". Keeping her under the radar, perhaps.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
major spoilers

looks like the 3 keys for the safe are based on SSTV signals? https://www.reddit.com/r/signalis/comments/ygf3h8/sstv_signals_in_radio/

there's some additional thoughts on the locations in the steam discussion thread (although again heavy spoiler warning)

EDIT: looks like the puzzle has been completely solved in the steam discussion thread

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 30, 2022

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Finished it, got the Memory ending.

After thinking on it some more and reading what you guys posted, there's so much to unpack in how this game presents itself.

I liked how the game uses the different versions of Böcklin's Isle of the Dead painting to represent the concept of multiple realities/identities/experiences. Plenty of other stuff too but that one stood out to me as being a very fitting metaphor for the story.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Just noticed something during (ending stuff) the fake ending. There's rows of elsters and ariane/Alina's. When their names come up there's an interesting reaction. All elsters respond to their callout... and on the other side Alina's the only one that responds to her name. But with Ariane, they all react. "Not all of them are Alina, but they're all Ariane"?

E: and during the prologue When you leave the ship you're top side and walk through the snow version of what you see in the endings, including the gate and everything. You could interpret it as a scene happingen in the bowels of Leng, or as a second gate on a different planet. Falke's mind got warped with stuff from Elster's mind, and the logs + Adler state that it all started when Falke passed the gate in the mines. The gate design is the same. It could be what connected Elster to Falke.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 30, 2022

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Mindblast posted:

E: and during the prologue When you leave the ship you're top side and walk through the snow version of what you see in the endings, including the gate and everything. You could interpret it as a scene happingen in the bowels of Leng, or as a second gate on a different planet. Falke's mind got warped with stuff from Elster's mind, and the logs + Adler state that it all started when Falke passed the gate in the mines. The gate design is the same. It could be what connected Elster to Falke.

Ending, specifically the secret Artifact ending spoilers: I really like the idea of there being two gates. The artifact ending implies the Red Eye - first mentioned in a log as a Rotfront myth - actually exists and is located on the planet that the Penrose crashed on. The question then is, if that planet is 10+ years of space travel away from the system, then how could anyone local possibly know about it? The report about the Eye we find dismisses it as a local weather phenomena, but the counter argument to that is, well, the entire game. Having a gate that connects two different places is no more a leap in a science fiction universe than anything else we see. My original thought was the implication of cosmic horror in Signalis was more of a metaphor, but the Artifact ending plonks a giant cosmic horror directly on screen and I'm like, well, that also makes sense.

It doesn't really alter my previous take that dramatically - it would imply the Red Eye has been around a lot longer than the current day of Signalis, and it's only when Falke walked through the gate recently that things started to go awry. The Penrose crashing on that planet, and Ariane's presence there, could still be seen as a catalyst. The log that describes some of the applications of Bioresonance takes pains to highlight that people barely understand how it works or what they're really messing with, which is cosmic horror foreshadowing if I've ever seen it.

It provides a decent answer to the question of how everything goes so dramatically bad on Leng, if the bottom of the mine has an actual gate that connects to an actual planet with an actual god on it. It surprisingly makes the geography of the game a lot more consistent. Elster goes through the gate once, fails to get into the Penrose, things get spooky, she goes through Rotfront, and ends up back at Leng to confront Falke and later Adler again. Rotfront definitely seems less "real" than Leng is - there are tons of notes in Chapters 1 and 2 about the active crisis that's happening, but there's absolutely nothing you find in Chapter 3 which is like "hey there's balls of flesh everywhere and everyone's crazy, poo poo's hosed", it's all historical logs of a city that's perfectly functional. Elster may never really "leave" Leng at all in Chapter 3, and it explains why she has to go through the gate a second time for a second try at that entry hatch.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RoyalScion posted:

major spoilers

looks like the 3 keys for the safe are based on SSTV signals? https://www.reddit.com/r/signalis/comments/ygf3h8/sstv_signals_in_radio/

there's some additional thoughts on the locations in the steam discussion thread (although again heavy spoiler warning)

EDIT: looks like the puzzle has been completely solved in the steam discussion thread

this explains one thing at least. the Star Dorm was a complete meat grinder, i had no idea what the purpose of that room was supposed to be despite all the supplies it contained

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

My only complaint is that I want to explore a not hosed up version of this world in the first person mode.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I don't really have anything to add except that this game is incredible. I still don't really know what the hell happened in the story but I don't even care, that was a wild ride. Loved the aesthetics/world building and the classic Silent Hill/Resident Evil gameplay.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I've been spending a lot of this weekend letting people's takes on Signalis circulate in my head. One thing I'm curious about, if anyone knows:

There's apparently a file somewhere that suggests there weren't any LSTR units on Leng before Elster got there. They'd talked about maybe having one, but didn't have any. Has anyone seen that file?

That makes me wonder if the whole deal with the multiple versions of Elster we see throughout the game is suggestive that, if you take Meiteron's "Ariane is broadcasting Elster to Leng" theory into account, she's also forcibly converting other Replikas into LSTRs for "her" Elster to ride around in. Or worse, she's just trying to punch it into whatever she can find, which is why Gestalts just get blown to ash instead.

Early on, when you can inspect inactive "corrupted" Replikas, Elster also notes that they're covered in gauze and many of them have biomechanical parts showing through rents in their skin. It reminds me of Alessa Gillespie's Otherworld in the first Silent Hill, where everything had burns and/or burn damage; Ariane herself is covered in bandages and dying of radiation poisoning, which makes me wonder if the rank-and-file corrupted Replikas got a little too much of Ariane in them and weren't able to handle it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i also thought it was pretty notable that most of the Replikas' decay was reminiscent of terminal radiation poisoning

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Oxxidation posted:

the ending triggers seem to be a complete mystery so far, it's probably going to be a while before anyone works out the stats

Yeah based on the theories so far I should have gotten a completely different ending than I did.

I think it's neat that the super crazy secret ending is the only one we actually understand how to get.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I saw a writeup about that which made a lot of sense to me: basically, the endings are influenced by the psychological stress factors seen on your self-diagnostic in the inventory screen, in a similar way to how the original three endings work in Silent Hill 2.

It's not at all clear what determines when and why each of the stats on the axis rise, but theories include:
* Overclustered: Constantly have inventory issues. Run around a lot with a full inventory and try to pick up more stuff regardless.
* Fragmented: Play as if you're undersupplied. Have a near-empty inventory a lot of the time, walk around injured for long periods, dry-fire empty weapons.
* Hypersensitive: Dodge enemies or sneak by them without them being alerted to your presence.
* Catatonic: Alert enemies. Take a lot of hits. Run straight into their attacks and bulldog your way past them.

As such, you'd get Leave if you had a lot of Catatonic points, because you're playing panicked and afraid. Memory is Overclustered/Hypersensitive; you're playing like a typical survival-horror veteran and moving as fast as you can. Promise seems to be triggered by high kill counts, lots of combat, and running with minimal equipment whenever possible.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Combat is real wonky.
I had several cases of downed enemies clipping into a wall or shelf rack that eats all the bullets when I try to finish them off.
Also can't figure out how to punch or kick enemies (playing with M/KB)

Great atmosphere though.

MagicBoots
Mar 29, 2010

How about we pump the atmosphere full of methane?
You put me on Cargo handling optimization?! I am the premier defense specialist in the entirety of the UN!
Don't you dare pull my funding!
You can't cut back on funding!
You will regret this!

sauer kraut posted:

Combat is real wonky.
I had several cases of downed enemies clipping into a wall or shelf rack that eats all the bullets when I try to finish them off.
Also can't figure out how to punch or kick enemies (playing with M/KB)

Great atmosphere though.

You push enemies back instead of shooting when they are too close. Stomping downed enemies should just be the same interact button you are using for everything else I think, don't shoot to finish them it just wastes ammo especially since they are going to get back up soon anyway.

MagicBoots fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 31, 2022

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I can't read anything in this thread because it's all spoilers lol.

I'm currently in the bit where you find a flashlight and one thing I do not like is that scrolling multiple map floors starts to get confusing because it shows all the floors including ones you can't return to (so far).

The jank is real but I want to get further in this very depressing horror game.

Bee boo beep

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Roughly how long is the game?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I’d say the first time through would be roughly 10 hours.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gotta say, my enjoyment of the game went up a fair bit when I went and used cheatengine for unlimited ammo. The mystery and atmosphere are great, but awkwardly wiggling my way around respawning enemies and regularly having to backtrack to the storage chests to juggle ammo/health with actually relevant items got old fairly quickly.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Gotta say, my enjoyment of the game went up a fair bit when I went and used cheatengine for unlimited ammo. The mystery and atmosphere are great, but awkwardly wiggling my way around respawning enemies and regularly having to backtrack to the storage chests to juggle ammo/health with actually relevant items got old fairly quickly.

I beat the game on normal with over 20 shotgun shells, revolver shots. 50+ pistol rounds, 8 flares and 5-6 grenades and flare shots leftover in the box when in I went to the last boss. On my first time through the game.

There is a lot of ammo in this game and I'm pretty sure you can only have ammo problems if you are wasting it by shooting without going for critical, then purposely waiting around for everything to revive.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Perestroika posted:

wait what enemies respawn?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

champagne posting posted:

wait what enemies respawn?

They pretty much all do (if they leave a corpse and aren't burned) if you run by them 4+ times, happens faster as you change acts.

E: ammo struggling people might need to try walking. Some of the crowded rooms are 100% easier to just walk through by not walking in front of enemies, since enemies are nearly blind/deaf.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 31, 2022

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
The only enemies you should be fighting are in tight corridors that you frequently traverse, or a one-exit room that you need something from (and most of the time you can just run in and grab what you need, maybe take a few hits but healing is plentiful). Everything else can be easily avoided. Enemies also don't follow you to other rooms. I think it's a perfect balance of tension/annoyance. Maybe it's different on highest difficulty, but really I don't think this is the kind of game where it'd be interesting to play hardcore survival.

Anyway, game good, I think I'm on the last segment, chapter 3. Can't wait to hover over all those black bars and find out what the hell was going on.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Compared to RE games Signalis is definitely a bit more hardcore because the layout is a lot more complicated and enemies reviving is not a trivial thing if you happen to get lost trying to find that one last puzzle piece.

That said I think the difficulty on normal feels just about right because there's constant feel of dread when you aren't sure what to do.

Playing RE Village in 3rd person mode feels like a nice afternoon stroll compared to this.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Okay, I finished this. I somehow missed the grenade launcher, I guess? Because I kept finding Grenade Rounds, and never found anything which fired them.

Overall, a very good game. Excellent mood, gorgeous graphics. A couple of puzzles where I would have liked slightly more clarity -- the last moon mural, for example, I wish it had been clearer which bits of the diagrams on the tarot cards corresponded to yellow and which to blue.

As a matter of personal taste, I would have preferred the story to be a little less vague and open to your interpretation, but I know many people love that stuff exactly as it is, so.

One thing I encountered but never got closure on: the first time you are on the beach, if you go left from the start point, you can find an object hidden in a little cave at the bottom of the cliff, which is "just out of reach". I assumed you could find a stick or something, but I never did, and when I was on the beach for the second time the cave was completely gone. Did anyone else see this, or find out what it was?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The_White_Crane posted:

Okay, I finished this. I somehow missed the grenade launcher, I guess? Because I kept finding Grenade Rounds, and never found anything which fired them.

Overall, a very good game. Excellent mood, gorgeous graphics. A couple of puzzles where I would have liked slightly more clarity -- the last moon mural, for example, I wish it had been clearer which bits of the diagrams on the tarot cards corresponded to yellow and which to blue.

As a matter of personal taste, I would have preferred the story to be a little less vague and open to your interpretation, but I know many people love that stuff exactly as it is, so.

One thing I encountered but never got closure on: the first time you are on the beach, if you go left from the start point, you can find an object hidden in a little cave at the bottom of the cliff, which is "just out of reach". I assumed you could find a stick or something, but I never did, and when I was on the beach for the second time the cave was completely gone. Did anyone else see this, or find out what it was?

it was the king in yellow, the book again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's a little obtuse, but the grenades work with the flare gun. You didn't miss a specific weapon to use with them.