Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Grognan posted:

it was the king in yellow, the book again

Ah, I see. I couldn't recognise it from the little bit I could see through the gap.

Wanderer posted:

It's a little obtuse, but the grenades work with the flare gun. You didn't miss a specific weapon to use with them.

Oh! Whoops.
I never actually even equipped the flare gun, in the end. By the time I reached Rotfront I had so much revolver ammo I just used that all the time, and when I went into the final boss I just took the rifle and the SMG.

Edit:
The one other thing I would say is that the inventory limit is an obnoxious way of padding out the game's play-time with tedious backtracking. I understand why they have a limit, and to some extent it serves a good purpose in preventing the player from just carrying All The Key Items, forcing them to think about the puzzles and work out what goes where instead of just trying all the items in sequence until one works.
But. Six slots is far too few once you get past the Mines, particularly once you start to get a lot of puzzles which require multiple key items. And it's made all the worse by not being able to drop items! At least once I ended up unable to collect a key item because I had a disposable stun prod in one of my slots, and I couldn't get rid of it without finding someone to zap.
The flashlight is a particularly irritating part of this, because apparently your character's military training has not enabled them to open a door by touch in the dark, which means that unlit rooms are completely impassable without it, even if you have been through them before and know where the doors are.
My playtime would almost certainly have been about an hour shorter if the inventory was say, ten slots instead of six, and I would have enjoyed the game more, because running back and forth two or three times past the same four enemies in the same five rooms really does not add anything to the experience.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I think it’s mostly keep with the thematic rule of six but it does end up being a pretty large drag on the flow of the game; they should have made at least the flashlight a tool like the radio module.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yuri Stern, the writer/director, was on Twitter yesterday saying that they're looking into methods of addressing the inventory limit, possibly by making a larger version of it a toggle like the combat difficulty.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Wanderer posted:

Yuri Stern, the writer/director, was on Twitter yesterday saying that they're looking into methods of addressing the inventory limit, possibly by making a larger version of it a toggle like the combat difficulty.

This would be extremely good because as much as I like limited inventory as a concept, I think games like REmake 1 did it better because you had the exact same amount of slots (6) but you didn't have nearly as much items. Also stuff like self defence tools had their own slots.

Even having 8 slots like Jill did would already free up the slots you usually need for a gun and spare ammo.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 31, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This game is real good

The_White_Crane posted:

One thing I encountered but never got closure on: the first time you are on the beach, if you go left from the start point, you can find an object hidden in a little cave at the bottom of the cliff, which is "just out of reach". I assumed you could find a stick or something, but I never did, and when I was on the beach for the second time the cave was completely gone. Did anyone else see this, or find out what it was?

Similar question, for the second beach- I accidentally walked onto the boat and ended the scene before I meant to, is there anything interesting I missed? I didn't get to examine the nearby bloodstain or anything beyond that point.

The_White_Crane posted:

to some extent it serves a good purpose in preventing the player from just carrying All The Key Items, forcing them to think about the puzzles and work out what goes where instead of just trying all the items in sequence until one works.

Ehhhh. This might make sense if you had full knowledge of the level and where and what all the puzzles were, but working with imperfect info it just leads to you discovering you made the wrong call about what to pick up and have to either forgo something or make a run back to the storage box. At the very least they should mark unclaimed key items on the map the way they do the puzzles themselves.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'm ok with the limit. I was running around with one gun, ammo and flashlight only, I would mostly dump key items into storage as soon as I got them until I figure out where they fit. I was fine with healing also staying in storage, apart from boss battles there's no need to heal immediately.

Anyway, just finished the game, what an experience.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I found the inventory workable. I'd carry two loaded weapons + one utility. Dodge the things you can, shoot what you cant. Had plenty of resources to do whatever needed to be done.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Ok, I've been rereading the documents I found in the game, and I have some theories:

Meiteron posted:

More commentary about that file, chapter 3 spoilers: you find the undamaged photo of Alina Seo in the photo shop in Rotfront and the second person in the photo is, in fact, a very human-looking Elster. That's almost certainly the base Gestalt for the Elster replika. It might also explain how Elster and Ariane grew so close on the Penrose, since another note right before the final fight references how similar Alina and Ariane look. Elster even mixes them up! In the prologue, the photo we find is the white-haired Ariane as expected but as soon as we move to chapter 1, Elster has the photo of Alina Seo instead and is looking for her instead.

Gets stranger, of course. When you find that undamaged photo it has a list of names and one of them is a woman who shares a last name with both Isolde and Erika. Perhaps their mother? Makes you wonder how long ago that photo was taken. There are other notes that seem to imply Vineta has gotten super hosed up in the war with shots of ruined buildings and a news article about a supply blockade, and I note none of these characters who originated on Vineta live there anymore.

I noticed this as well, I think that is definitely the unnamed soldier that was the "original" for the LSTR Replica. Lilith Itou I think is the mother of the Itou sisters, which would place the Vineta war events I'd say ~20 years before Ariane Yeong starts her military service. There's also another familiar name there - Rebecca Liang who is also mentioned in the medical file. I think there's a good chance she's the auntie that you get the message from in the last room. It would make sense that she would now the Itou family and order from their bookstore.

So the reason that Alina Seo and Ariane Yeong look similar in the dream of game is that these are the memories of Elster's original, and the Elster Replica blending together - both Alina and Ariane filled a similar role in their life, so in the dream logic they become interchangeable.

There's some things about the Penrose mission are bugging me though.
First, Ariane's work assignment says that if she's not accepted to the Penrose Program, she will be sent to the mining station on Leng.
Second, why is the Penrose wreck on Leng in the first place? It's meant to search for planets in the Oort cloud, while Leng seems relatively close to Rotfront and also is already settled. It doesnt make sense that it crashed there. I think the ending sequence is the closest to showing us what happened in the real world - that is, the crew of Penrose died in space having found nothing. Penrose is just drifting, the Gestalt officer dead or in cryo dying of radiation, and the LSTR Replica also dead.
But, since we're playing through Ariana's memories, then she would have to have lived on the mining station on Leng afterall, otherwise how would she recreate it? She was born on Leng and lived there before getting sent to school on Rotfront, but that was in an isolated radio outpost, there's nothing in the game to confirm she ever visited the Sierpinski. So did she ever make it to the Penrose Program?

And there's a third interesting thing in the LSTR Replica Overview - because the Neural Archive on Vineta was destroyed, new LSTR models are produced based on a decommissioned model from the Penrose Program. So this would mean, there are potentially 3 sets of overlapping Elster memories in the dream we're playing through - the original Gestalt human that knew Alina Seo and probably died in or sometime after the war, the LSTR that was sent on a Penrose mission with "someone", and the Elster that we are playing as. It would then be a second generation Elster, that is only remembering the Penrose experience through bioresonance/dream logic, but was never actually there.

Now the weak link in all this that I can't figure out is that at some point Ariana and Elster had to have met and made a connection, otherwise why would Elster even be in the dream? If they weren't on the Penrose together, and we know that Elster was also never on Sierpinski station, then it kinda all falls apart. There's also something going on with Falke - she is also bioresonant, and she might have been the first one that came into contact with whatever lies under Leng's surface, and she's also experiencing her memories and personality blending with Elster's for some reason.

But, I'm fairly sure that the crash landing on Leng is an amalgamation of two separate memories/realities. The original Penrose was stranded in space, probably recovered later by Eusan authorities. It exists in the dream because of Elster's strong memories. And Leng is there because that's where the "thing" is and that's where the dream, whatever it is, started and possibly that's where Ariana merged with it. So it's a starting point for both of them, but is not what actually happened.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

There's some things about the Penrose mission are bugging me though.

There's an ongoing thread in Signalis discussion--not so much here on SA, but in general--where the primary point of confusion is what to take literally, and when.

The game appears to be designed so that you can come to several different conclusions about what's really happening, but most if not all of those conclusions will have at least one stray X-factor that doesn't seem to fit into the rest. The most common example is Isa Itou, who's just kind of there, particularly in more mundane interpretations of the plot. You can also point to Adler, who at least complicates any interpretation that argues the whole game's just Ariane's dream.

By the same token, though, there is a certain internal consistency to the game's events, with a lot of necessary details backloaded into the final stretch, especially details about the Republic, its technology, and Ariane herself.

If you go back through the first stretch of the game after exploring Rotfront in the finale, there's a lot there which suggests that Ariane's realities are converging on Leng. An element I didn't appreciate the first time through is that you can find a diary page on the first floor of the mine that's by Alina Seo, who not only knows Elster, but shouldn't be there at all.

The Penrose didn't crash-land there, and may not have actually crashed at all; Ariane has brought one part of her destiny to another in an attempt to end her own pain. Maybe that's just what you get when a powerful bioresonant is dying alone, or maybe there actually is something below Leng that should not have been unearthed.

Maybe the whys don't matter in the end, and the important thing is that Elster, who Ariane effectively deprogrammed, is out to save Ariane, in whatever form that can still take.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

grate deceiver posted:

So did she ever make it to the Penrose Program?

The way I've interpreted it is that it's essentially two different timelines leading to different fates for Ariane/Elster. In one, Ariane is accepted into the program and she and Elster leave and die/are stranded out in the Oort cloud (potentially crash-landing on an uninhabitable world when things start falling apart). In the other, she isn't, is sent off to S-23 as per the note threatening that, and Elster is instead decommissioned from the program and used as the base for new LSTR units. There are probably some other variations as well - see Adler's confusion about whether or not an LSTR unit was ever present there, implying there's probably some timelines where Elster also goes to S-23 - but the important part is those two, since IMO part of the reason the events of the game happen is that every LSTR unit we play/encounter is the LSTR that died/would have died on Penrose 512 in a way that the other Replika models aren't. The combination of Ariane's natural bioresonance, and the bioresonance they have with Elster Prime as copies of her, is what causes them to be basically overwritten by Elster Prime's desire to fulfill the promise made, instead of just being destroyed by the pain/symptoms of radiation sickness like most Gestalts/Replikas (or a combination of the two for the more powerful bioresonants like Falke). It's similarly why you go to S-23 in the first place; the player character LSTR model is looking for Ariane/"Alina" per those bioresonanted memories of the prior generations, and in the current Elster's timeline that's where she ended up.

Wanderer posted:

The most common example is Isa Itou, who's just kind of there, particularly in more mundane interpretations of the plot.

I took her as being similar to Lisa Garland from the original Silent Hill. The Isa we encounter is essentially a gestalt Gestalt of Ariane's memories of the original Isa (who is implied to have died along with her twin while Ariane was still at Rotfront given the shrine in the bookstore), and Elster's memories of herself/her sister from the original neural patterns, based on the resemblances both of them saw in her to Elster Prime (which makes sense given they were likely "her" nieces). This results in a version of Isa that also goes to S-23 in search of her Ariane-equivalent, suffers a wound to her right eye, etc. She then later disintegrates once Ariane/Elster are able to better clarify their memories and recognize her as not the person they're calling to.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I also want to observe what an absolutely incredible line "Things have learnt to walk which ought to crawl." is.
Sends chills down my spine.

Oh, and did anyone else spot the reference to the Long Term Nuclear Waste Warning Program in one area? I think it's when you are descending into the mines? The ol' "this is not a place of honour," etc.?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’s a lovecraft quote. predictably there’s also bits of Ambrose Bierce’s “The King in Yellow”

the Eva-like bursts of German and Chinese text against harshly colored backgrounds were also great for creating a disorienting effect without deafening noises or jump scares

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Wanderer posted:

There's an ongoing thread in Signalis discussion--not so much here on SA, but in general--where the primary point of confusion is what to take literally, and when.

The game appears to be designed so that you can come to several different conclusions about what's really happening, but most if not all of those conclusions will have at least one stray X-factor that doesn't seem to fit into the rest.

I'm fairly sure that nothing that we see in the game is actually happening. Or, maybe the "dream" is happening in actual physical reality on Leng, but not exactly how it happened the "first" time. Something happened in the real world, but what we experience in the game is just an echo of the actual events that Ariane is trying to reconstruct. It's all operating on delirious dream world logic, so people with the same functions or relations to Alina get merged together, maybe things that happened to someone get attributed to someone else, some characters are stand-ins for other characters and important or emotionally powerful events get repeated in different contexts.

But like you said, there must have been an Elster and a Alina/Ariana, and they made a promise.

Wanderer posted:

If you go back through the first stretch of the game after exploring Rotfront in the finale, there's a lot there which suggests that Ariane's realities are converging on Leng. An element I didn't appreciate the first time through is that you can find a diary page on the first floor of the mine that's by Alina Seo, who not only knows Elster, but shouldn't be there at all.

This is what convinces me that we're not only seeing Ariane's POV/memories. Ariane shouldn't know about Alina Seo, these imo are the memories of the Vinetan soldier that are bleeding into the dream through Elster.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
As far as what's real and what's not in the game I've been searching for some kind of touchstone I can use to say, ok, this is real, this is metaphor, etc. I've ultimately settled on Adler being that touchstone. If you assume that the game exists somewhere between reality and dreaming and crank a scale balancing the two all the way over to Dream, assuming literally everything a construct of Ariane's memories then there's no reason for this dude to be here. There's definitely no reason for this dude to recognize that the world is in a time loop and reality breaking down. Adler is also the subject of the only times, in the whole game, that the focus shifts away from Elster - when he first intercepts Isa outside Falke's room and later in the mine where he's trying to kill her, and when he's talking to a comatose Falke. None of his behavior is really explainable if this guy isn't a real replika who's losing it in a crisis situation. So that, to me, discounts the far end of the Reality-Dream spectrum.

None of this is meant to say that everything happening in the game is 100% lodged in reality because that doesn't make any kind of sense either, but it also grants the veneer of objective reality to wherever this guy happens to be. If there's a notable person in the game who could be said to not really be "real", then it's Isa; of all the people you can converse with, she is the only person who you also encounter alive (temporarily) in Rotfront. Adler also seems pretty confident that Isa "doesn't belong here" when he intercepts her on Leng. Odd, that.

grate deceiver posted:

Second, why is the Penrose wreck on Leng in the first place? It's meant to search for planets in the Oort cloud, while Leng seems relatively close to Rotfront and also is already settled. It doesnt make sense that it crashed there. I think the ending sequence is the closest to showing us what happened in the real world - that is, the crew of Penrose died in space having found nothing. Penrose is just drifting, the Gestalt officer dead or in cryo dying of radiation, and the LSTR Replica also dead.

I think that you may make a false assumption here, to whit: Having seen the two times in the game where Elster walks through the gate and ends up at the Penrose, you assume Elster is still on Leng at that point. I don't think she is. I think that gate is linking two very distant places. You see the gate before that point, too; during the prologue, when you've first left the Penrose.

I still think about the condition of that gate, and that presumptive planet, throughout the game. In the prologue it's a snowfield; in the intermission and the fourth ending it's an empty red desert; in the leave ending, it looks surprisingly normal. I don't know what any of it means! This game gives me a headache in the best ways.

Wanderer posted:

Talking about Alina Seo a bit, you can actually find a number of logs from her during the first two chapters. One of the last ones mentions that her hair is turning white, and as you've mentioned, she references an "Elster" who she definitely shouldn't know, having known the original. To explain this we need the literal other half of this phenomenon - Falke, the commander, writing a journal where she says she's being overwhelmed with memories of a different person living a different life. Falke specifically lists a memory of dancing with a white-haired girl, which implies she's getting Elster's memories. Who's to say that Alina is not getting Ariane's memories? Perhaps a bit more than that.

That doesn't really explain what she's doing on Leng in the first place, of course. I'll preface this by saying the take that Alina and Ariane are different versions of the same person is a very reasonable take to have. I would offer a different one, which I think might be more of a stretch but also has some support from the game. Near the very end of the game we read the note that outlines how Ariane has two potential outcomes to her Penrose application: if she's good enough, she can go out on the Penrose, but if she's denied and - importantly - can't find employment anywhere, she'll get carted off to the Sierpinski mines on Leng. Assume, for a moment, that Alina ended up in that second case - nowhere else to go, so off to the mines. How could that happen to a professional soldier based in Vineta?

Because Vineta got the absolute poo poo kicked out of it. Because this game loves small details, note the pattern on the end of the key - those nested hexagons are the emblem of the Empire that Eusan broke away from (shows up in a propaganda poster elsewhere; Eusan's emblem are the three stars). There's an implication throughout the game, if you read between the lines of propaganda, that Eusan doesn't exactly have a handle on the "remnants" of the Empire, the war is still very much ongoing, and that Vineta is basically a ruin and active humanitarian disaster.

So: the army group in the photos gets evacuated from Vineta because Eusan loses the battle there and end up on Rotfront; and Alina ends up in a work camp because either she's an officer who took some of the blame for the loss or just doesn't handle regular work well after that happens. Then the rest of Signalis happens to her too. No one can catch a break in this story.

Elster's Gestalt pattern being "lost" could also be explained by her original human version dying in this very attack; or it might simply explain the missing eye she has in the photos.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 1, 2022

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'm probably in the last proper level of the game, still missing 4 items from a locked door.

I've made liberal use of "Save, suicide run into a room to check where the items are, reload the save, run back back in and GTFO with all items and maybe little damage"

I want to read these spoilers damnit.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I had originally thought that since that Ariane was dreaming? and was a powerful bioresonator that it was being xferred to the Falke unit (via the artifact?) who also was a strong bioresonator and thus pushing out memories/detail to people.

Also few references below about Adler's lack of remembering of an LSTR unit and more stuff about the destroyed Vineta: https://imgur.com/a/m5nyvCa

More semi-relevant stuff to the discussion i guess https://imgur.com/a/FxFSIma

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 1, 2022

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The_White_Crane posted:

Oh, and did anyone else spot the reference to the Long Term Nuclear Waste Warning Program in one area? I think it's when you are descending into the mines? The ol' "this is not a place of honour," etc.?
oh yeah, with the flesh walls it was kinda potent as far as the pucker factor goes

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Game owns.

Only got the memory ending so far, but fueled by the comments here, here's my current interpretation:

The main goal of Signalis is to find the correct timeline (Signal) to end Ariane's suffering.

We know that Ariane is a bioresonant, and that bioresonants can lose control of their powers and project their mental state and memories into other organisms, even leading to terraforming and reality bending.

At least one of the endings shows us that there was a radiation leak on board of the Penrose ship, and that neither Ariane nor Elster were able to fix it due to lack of spare parts, her Elster probably being deactivated either by protocol or malfunction.

The implication is that Ariane is dying a lonely, slow and painful death somewhere deep within the Oort Cloud, which is a powerful existential fear all by itself.

In her dying dream, Ariane unconsciously longs for someone close to her, and through her bioresonance inadvertently creates a reality bending time loop in the process.
Whether or not her powers are amplified by the radiation from the leak is open to interpretation, though it is interesting that the mine features a long term radiation nuclear waste warning sign as mentioned in the posts above. It's also interesting how the corrupted units show the effects of radiation poisoning in different stages, affecting mostly the biological components they're built out of - reflecting the physical trauma Ariane must be going through.

One way bioresonance is demonstrated in gameplay is in the Kolibri? encounters - these units project copies of themselves and spam you with white noise and visual spam through the radio module. You have to tune into several frequencies (timelines) to find the "real" one. You have to find the right signal in the noise.

We don't know if there's a timeline in which the miner Ariane is also dying on Leng, or if this is just an imagined alternative life she could have led if she didn't join the Penrose program.

Either way, she's unconsciously spamming her dream out into the void and projecting her memories into other organisms, creating copies of Isa, "her" Elster and potentially others into any fitting vessel. There are enough hints that bioresonants can alter physical reality and we already know that Replikas are copies from personality templates as this is one of the first concepts introduced in the game, so it's not a stretch that bioresonants could "overwrite" those templates both in a mental and physical way. Especially since their personalities already have to be stabilized through special routines and fetish objects as not to split and remember their past lives.

[Isa] is one of the personalities projected by Ariane. We learn early on that whatever is happening on the station (Ariane's bioresonant influence) is changing both Gestalts and Replikas in unpredictable ways, and that Gestalts don't survive these changes for long before disintegrating. This is demonstrated to us in our final encounter with Isa, during which she liquifies in front of our eyes - Ariane was projecting Isa on other organisms, but she never survived for long enough to make a difference.

Edit: Restarted the game and Isa is looking for her sister Erika after all, so now I don't know. Welp.

[Elster] or more accurately, Ariane's memory of "her" Elster was also being projected - over and over and over in a time loop, as seen in the elevator shaft filled with Elster copies, for instance. This, combined with the alternative endings and all the other tidbits leads me to believe that all the other Replikants go haywire because Ariane's remote personality imprint is not working correctly for whatever reason, so these corrupted units we fight are imperfect copies of Elster. This would mean that we are effectively fighting corrupted versions of ourselves throughout the whole game, versions where Ariane was unable to tune in completely to create a version of Elster that would reach the perfect ending and end her dream.

Plus in the end, the story is a subversion on the "it was all a dream" trope - it WAS all a dream, but a dream that's manipulating reality.

There are multiple layers to this and I apologize for the bad explanation (and very likely wrong assumptions), but drat if it isn't fun speculating about the story of this game.

Lanth fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 1, 2022

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'm stuck. I have wedding ring, snake ring and combined wooden doll. I'm clearly missing one ring for the queen statue and the wooden doll isnt heavy enough to deactivate the pressure trap that holds one of the key plate items.

Also no map is a dick move because it's hard to tell what I've missed

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 1, 2022

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm stuck. I have wedding ring, snake ring and combined wooden doll. I'm clearly missing one ring for the queen statue and the wooden doll isnt heavy enough to deactivate the pressure trap that holds one of the key plate items.

Also no map is a dick move because it's hard to tell what I've missed

You are missing the Regent's ring, and a third piece of the doll that fits in the combined doll. I can't remember exact locations but I know the Regents ring is available without having to go through any of the keypad doors so backtrack around the second save room inside the flesh area, I think it's around there. The smallest doll is in an area that also contains another quest item; it's on a table in the room with like four enemies and a patrolling Mynah. Gotta sneak close to it, grab it, and get the gently caress out of dodge.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Thanks. I'll look for them. This area is a bitch because it's really hard to tell if you've explored a room fully or if there's one item that completely blends into the environment because they aren't highlighted or anything.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, act 2 is a bit painful with the map deactivated.
I missed doors in several rooms (always check the sides for faint yellow lights) and there is a LOT of walking back and forth.
Just draw a map and check every nook. :unsmith:

I also locked ammo count to full with a 3rd party tool, the inventory situation looks a lot more appealing when you can forget ammo exists.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 1, 2022

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Thanks. I'll look for them. This area is a bitch because it's really hard to tell if you've explored a room fully or if there's one item that completely blends into the environment because they aren't highlighted or anything.

This one was a bitch to find, I had to look it up in a walkthrough - if you've been to the filament maze that has the Flesh plate, there's a second pedestal near the northern wall with a key to a new room

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah, act 2 is a bit painful with the map deactivated.

Not just the map deactivated, they break the spatial relationships between room exits and entries so you can't build a mental model of the space. A paper map is almost mandatory (or just wander around in confusion like I did)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Somebody made an interesting point I saw on Reddit, about Isa:

When you catch up to her on Rotfront and she dies, there's a small shrine to both her and Erika behind the counter nearby. The implication is that they're both dead and maybe have been since before Ariane left home.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Been filling idle moments with moments to ponder this game. I like reading all the different implications. Im probably going to do another run and see if I can notice some more stuff.

E: Isa full spoiler talk

Yeah she's implied to already be dead. I don't see where she comes from tho. Like, how did she get into this mess and why is she looking for Erika? There's even an ominous note from her aimed at Erika. Something about coming to find her "despite what she's done". I feel like I missed a whole side story.

Did Ariane spawn her not unlike Lisa Garland? What's Isa's connection to the rest of the cast?

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 1, 2022

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Mindblast posted:

Been filling idle moments with moments to ponder this game. I like reading all the different implications. Im probably going to do another run and see if I can notice some more stuff.

E: Isa full spoiler talk

Did Ariane spawn her not unlike Lisa Garland? What's Isa's connection to the rest of the cast?

The Itou sisters were Ariane's classmates in Rotfront Polytechnic. I think she's an echo of some situation that happened at school, that is pulled into the dream because it mirrors Elster looking for Ariane/Alisa. In general I don't think any of the people we meet are "real", i.e. the originals still exist (or are dead) outside of wherever the game's events are happening.

Meiteron posted:

I think that you may make a false assumption here, to whit: Having seen the two times in the game where Elster walks through the gate and ends up at the Penrose, you assume Elster is still on Leng at that point. I don't think she is. I think that gate is linking two very distant places. You see the gate before that point, too; during the prologue, when you've first left the Penrose.

If it even has a location, I think it's on Leng, but the passing of the gate makes Ariana/Alisa "turn in her sleep" and the whole landscape changes. It might represent going deeper into the dream, or getting closer to Ariana. Because otherwise it would mean that Rotfront apartament complexes are literally overrun with crazed Replikas and meat? Basically Ariana (or the Leng entity) is physically changing the entire solar system? That doesn't sound right, I get the feeling that this is supposed to be a completely separate reality of some kind. Either literally a dream, some kind of localised reality-fuckery on Leng, or perhaps a psychic construct in the bioresonant medium (a longer way to say it's a dream p much)

And regarding the prologue: It's already not happening in the real world in a real physical location. First of all, the photo is wrong. Second, doesn't it strike anyone as odd that the entrance to a mine complex is a weird hole in the ground with a very not-OSHA-compliant staircase? And then you crawl through a small hole to arrive at the radio station that Ariana spent her childhood in (that's supposed to be somewhere isolated in the mountains). No, that's all already happening in the dream where 3 different places are mashed together, I don't think the concept of space matters much here.

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 1, 2022

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

drat I have not thought about a game this much in a long time

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah, the game specifically calls out "a dream within a dream", although I'm still uncertain on if anything is actually real.

On Steam guides there's a map of the lower area for the rings and etc if you get lost

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

The flashlight is a particularly irritating part of this, because apparently your character's military training has not enabled them to open a door by touch in the dark, which means that unlit rooms are completely impassable without it, even if you have been through them before and know where the doors are.

FWIW this, like the rule of six, is explicitly covered by a note you can find - the gist is that someone was sneaking around when they should not have been (possibly the author of the angry note who ended up knifing the tape deck), so the authorities configured the doors not to open in the dark.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Irony.or.Death posted:

FWIW this, like the rule of six, is explicitly covered by a note you can find - the gist is that someone was sneaking around when they should not have been (possibly the author of the angry note who ended up knifing the tape deck), so the authorities configured the doors not to open in the dark.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that.
It's still extremely obnoxious game design though. :colbert:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm fine with requiring the flashlight be on to interact especially because it gets you that great room in Nowhere where you have to turn it on to pick something up and only then do you see the room is full of enemies you just alerted, I'm less fine with the flashlight effectively cutting you to five inventory slots once said interactions become common enough

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Has anyone found any use for the eye camera? I guess it's just there to make notes for puzzles, but I'd rather just use a notepad and free the item slot. But I was wondering if there's anything special you can use it for.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

grate deceiver posted:

Has anyone found any use for the eye camera? I guess it's just there to make notes for puzzles, but I'd rather just use a notepad and free the item slot. But I was wondering if there's anything special you can use it for.

it would be cool if there was something where taking a picture with the camera reveals something is different than what you see without it. i'm pretty sure its just something to help with remembering stuff tho

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah, the problem is that it's a horror game so you always want to bring the flashlight intuitively.

and then if you don't bring it after finishing up with the dark rooms in the first Sirpienski, you have to use it to see the deathtrap wires later in fleshland, so after that you'll just bring it everywhere because of the off-chance you need it

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Also doesn't the camera kinda imply that we're missing an eye all along from the beginning? Because it sure looks like it's an implant that you slot into your head.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Kinda felt that the stun prods were also very good. Most things are insta knocked on the rear end. And you can take out more than one with one prod. Good ammo saver.

grate deceiver posted:

Also doesn't the camera kinda imply that we're missing an eye all along from the beginning? Because it sure looks like it's an implant that you slot into your head.

Portions of their body seem to be made out of more traditional sci fi tech. They even come with power reactors and stuff. Maybe their eyes can easily be interchanged so long as no one goes crazy with a chef knife. :v:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
If equipped items would move from the inv slot to an equipped slot would cut down on so much of the annoyance. I had plenty of ammo throughout the game but had to run back and forth safe rooms to empty some slots.
Or hell let me discard cattle prods, only ammo seem trashable for some reason

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

If equipped items would move from the inv slot to an equipped slot would cut down on so much of the annoyance. I had plenty of ammo throughout the game but had to run back and forth safe rooms to empty some slots.
Or hell let me discard cattle prods, only ammo seem trashable for some reason

It does seem a bit weird that this very game specifically borrows a lot from Resident Evil 1 remake but the devs didn't look at the small improvements that game has over the original PS1 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mindblast posted:

Kinda felt that the stun prods were also very good. Most things are insta knocked on the rear end. And you can take out more than one with one prod. Good ammo saver.

Portions of their body seem to be made out of more traditional sci fi tech. They even come with power reactors and stuff. Maybe their eyes can easily be interchanged so long as no one goes crazy with a chef knife. :v:

That stun prod noise is incredibly satisfying