Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Flashlight was the most annoying item to carry for me since you only need it for a handful of places, but then it's 100% required instead of just more convenient. It's not very easy to predict when you'll need it so it's one more trip back to the save room for you. I would have preferred it if tools didn't count against the 6pc inventory limit like RE original flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Most of the inventory stuff is totally fine but the flashlight eating a spot is absolutely a huge problem. Unless you’ve memorized most of the game you will always need it with you afterwards.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
They should have made it a tool like the radio chip.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
To me the only part that annoyed me was the chapter where you had no minimap, because you couldn't see which room had something to grab and couldn't plan an 'item run'. Other than that you can just run past 90% of enemies, so I wouldn't even carry a gun if I was transporting items. And the remaining 10% I would permakill in advance if I knew it's an area I would run past often.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jack Trades posted:

Do you need to use weapons against bosses?
I know I've beaten two of them without any weapons, on accident mostly, but that made me think that you might be able to handle the other one the same way.
I'm not sure. My point was more that bosses are telegraphed and don't require puzzle pieces, so there's no need to balance your loadout between a lot of different categories.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Just finished this. What a truly excellent game, I utterly loved it. It hit basically every one of my weak spots - sci-fi, cosmic horror, oozing with atmospheric retro-futurism, girls smooching and dream-like reality. Only quibbles I can think of are the slightly wonky aiming mechanics (I missed a shot or two cause it couldn't decide who I was actually shooting at) and the inventory management, despite having some minor narrative significance, still being annoying to work around. I get that it's a send-up to the old school games, but eh. Was hardly a deal breaker, at any rate.

I feel like this is one of those games that everyone will walk away from with a slightly different interpretation of the events. And I think that's a great thing that more stories should encourage - especially when it's so well-written and beautifully conveyed as the story is here.

Excessive, slightly rambling ending talk: I got the Promise ending first and then got the Artifact ending. Much as I yearn for a happy ending for these two, trapped as they are in a truly hosed situation no matter what the 'reality' of it is, it's one of those things that just kinda defies a concrete conclusion - which means you're relatively free to come to your own.

My preferred take on the endings? Speaking only on the two I got, Promise is a poignant ending in itself and I think a very fitting conclusion - Elster keeps the promise in the end, frees Ariane from god knows how much suffering. Or at least, that would be the literal interpretation (a slightly pointless exercise in general, considering, things in this game are either literal or not based mostly off your own personal perspective and preferences). If you assume the Promise ending is an actual conclusion to the cyclical nature of the game's events, then it's a good ending. If you don't, then... well, the Elster that gets an arm pulled off is in a suspiciously similar pose as ours ends up in, at the end of Promise. Is it an actual termination of the cycle, or just a perpetuation and wish fulfillment in a dream that has yet to terminate?

From what I know of the other endings, they too leave the door relatively open for the notion that this has all happened before and will happen again, interminably, constantly striving for an end to Ariane's suffering without success.

But then we have the Artifact ending, which is awfully obscure - I think in the past, if something was this well-hidden in the SH2 or RE days, it could've been a long time before it was sussed out. Obtuse and difficult-to-find endings like this, it's tempting to say we should take them less seriously as opposed to the more easily-reached endings. But with ARG stuff and data mining and all that, these days, with people more commonly searching for secrets, I'm sure the devs realized how quickly it'd be codified and figured out. So does that make Artifact a valid ending set next to the others?

Probably. It's a cosmic horror story, after all, and this is the most clear example of a cosmic horror-y ending in the game. I dunno if that makes it the 'true' ending, or whatever, but it's certainly tempting for me to think so. Even if you discard all the more obvious cosmic horror elements, like the King in Yellow, as being figments of Ariane's memory and broken psyche, bioresonance is in itself a huge tell to me. Just from the game's events, no matter what the reality (this word should honestly stop being all that relevant here) is, Ariane is a very powerful bioresonant. So what does that tell us about the Artifact ending?

It could be selfish wish fulfillment on Elster's part - to conjure up a new dream in which she and Ariane are together forever, still unable to fulfill her end of the bargain. Not an invalid take, but this seems, to me, a more literal take on the 'all just a dream' assumption (which is itself a valid conclusion as well! just not one I like). Now it's a dream within another dream, and Elster gets her happy ending while Ariane gets to suffer some more 'till the cryopod finally, mercifully, gives out.

This being a cosmic horror story, I prefer another read on it. Ascension. With the ritual complete, perhaps using the artifact that precipitated the madness on Leng (perhaps willed there by Ariane herself? who knows?), Elster dies to conjure up... something. Ariane's red eye is finally up there. The text that flashes on the screen are Revelations 9:6 followed by 10:7, both in German. 9:6 has no significant alterations - and in those days people will seek death and not find it. 10:7, however, has a very notable change. The normal verse is something like this - the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

The quote that flashes refers to God, however, in the feminine sense. These two quotes make me, suffice to say, disinclined to think that Artifact has only to do with Elster's wish fulfillment. An eternity of togetherness strikes me as easily given, after all, when one is a god.

Is this a massive cope on my part? Maybe. But I prefer to lean into the cosmic horror, at the end of the day. Good for Ariane, I say. Go teach those Eusan bastards a thing or two.

Anyway, game is good, easily my GOTY already.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I got tricked by the fake ending and only discovered that I'd been tricked after I saw discussion of the fake ending. I alt-f4'd out of the menu 'cos I thought I was done with the game. Oh well, I saved just before the 'end', so I can do it again. I hope I can skip cutscenes.

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
You can skip cutscenes by holding down right-click

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I beat the game for the first time today, and then I beat it a second time. SOme stuff I did caused me to get different endings, though I'm not sure which things I did affected how much. I did spoil myself a bit about how to get the endings.

Last night, I made a save game in the Rotfront bedroom, with everything I needed to solve the final moon mural puzzle, and then I made a second save in the room before the final boss. I beat her and explored the ship a little. Then, I went away from my computer and did something else for a few couple hours and fell asleep with the game still on. This afternoon, I went back and finished it, getting the Memories middle-of-the-road ending. I did note that the "Total Game Time" was much longer than "Active Game Time" on the final summary screen.

Later today, I loaded that save in the Rotfront bedroom and got killed several times for the Ship of Theseus achievement. Then, curious as to whether all that AFK time affected my ending, I loaded up the second save and beat the boss again. I did note that my status screen showed all those triangles filled in even though I loaded the game from the second slot. I got the "Promise" ending, and the difference between total and active game time was a lot closer. So I wonder if that AFK time, the repeated dying, or both affected the ending.

Overall I'd say my play style was somewhere between balanced and aggressive. I didn't get hurt a lot or die a lot until I went back to grind the achievement

On the subject of that achievement I mentioned: Dying seems to make you more durable and has some effect on the ending. Anything else?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 6, 2023

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Picked this up on a whim. Very cool game. I didn’t know that I’d been wanting some classic RE action.

The story and visuals are extremely cool, but I agree with the posters that said the inventory system needed a couple more passes before release. Using it is a chore when you’re working with any progression items.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I got pretty far and I was really enjoying it, beat the second boss and the new area just seems BULLSHIT HARD. Just, too many bad guys. Is the last part super tough or am I just spooked?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

redreader posted:

I got pretty far and I was really enjoying it, beat the second boss and the new area just seems BULLSHIT HARD. Just, too many bad guys. Is the last part super tough or am I just spooked?

If you're talking about the area where you don't have a map, I recall there's only one big room full of strong enemies, but iirc there's not anything important there. And if there is, you can just run past everything, grab the item, and never go back there. Or, if the enemies are not directly facing you, you can just walk past them in a lot of cases

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

redreader posted:

Depends on if you missed the revolver. Most rooms the enemies can be avoided. Burn the Storchs in rooms you have to pass multiple times.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I think that's the area where I truly figured out how stealth works. Flashlight and radio off lets you walk around like you own the place.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Going from some other ending speculation, I feel like the story purposefully tries to have you assume what The Promise actually was. Then there's fun subversion and all that.

So I think it's expected that the player assumes the promise was to mercy kill her when the time came. More poetically you could rephrase it as "promise we will always be together". Which becomes more literal with the secret ending, possibly, where Ariane is sending a parade of Elsters conjured out of memory via bioresonance.

This effectively makes every run of the game canon, with the first 3 endings just being Elsters that accomplished 1/3 of the plan. (Or additionally provide spare parts for a future Elster's run). The secret ending would be the final loop, where enough arcane poo poo has been gathered together with the mystery cosmic horror shiny thing from the mines to perform a big ritual. All these things gathered around an altar that resembles the cryopod.

Ariane becomes a godlike being, the eye in the sky that is probably very angry at the bosses back home. And with all this memory bleeding and individual minds combining it means that Elster and Ariane are back together. They can even dance again. She kept the promise to keep them together forever.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022
I've never considered myself a survival horror player, it has been a genre I've been reluctant to tackle for a long time.

But I've kept hearing the praises of this game, including from people I follow online. And the story also seemed very interesting to me.

So I decided to bite the bullet and try it out.

And I can say for sure:

The exploration, the puzzles, the ammo conservation challenge, the item usage decisions...

It excites me.

I hope that rose engine tackles the setting again in a future endeavor.

And I also can't help but wonder if anyone will start a let's play of this game on SA or not...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lunatic 0verlord posted:

And I also can't help but wonder if anyone will start a let's play of this game on SA or not...

SuperGreatFriend has done a playthrough of the game.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

redreader posted:

I got tricked by the fake ending and only discovered that I'd been tricked after I saw discussion of the fake ending.

:same:

It was so good what little I got seemed worth the $20.

Got the balanced/memory ending. Grimbeard did a great review nice to finally watch the spoiler parts.

drat... this game is just so good. I can't believe two people did this even though it took a while — the sound, the story the friggin art direction. I hope Barbara and Yuri are satisfied with all the critical responses and have big piles of money.

Just realized Adler is the only male character in the game and he's superficially menacing but completely ineffective. You don't see that in much media at all and especially not video games...

Oh yeah I love the King in Yellow and would kill for a copy with that cover all pixelated and everything.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
A year later, rose-engine has released version 1.2 of the game, which includes a couple of QOL options regarding the inventory:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1262350/SIGNALIS/

This includes a mode where you get 8 slots and the flashlight/eidetic module don't use them.

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

I've been replaying this and the latest patch added new documents and even a new room with a new NPC to talk to. Just got to Nowhere so there's probably more to find.

Rabid Boar fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 27, 2023

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
has anyone else found the truck you can drive?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Wanderer posted:

A year later, rose-engine has released version 1.2 of the game, which includes a couple of QOL options regarding the inventory:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1262350/SIGNALIS/

This includes a mode where you get 8 slots and the flashlight/eidetic module don't use them.
Is this available for the XBox version? It's not showing an update for me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's actual new content?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

whaley posted:

has anyone else found the truck you can drive?

It's next to the S.S Anne

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Jack Trades posted:

There's actual new content?

Yeah, I've found two new documents so far (plus the spoilered thing in my last post), including one real early on that I've noticed in the past and thought it was odd I couldn't interact with it. The book on the right table in the room you meet Isa. Maybe I don't need to spoiler that but better safe than sorry.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i know the inventory limit was by far the most common complaint about this game by an incredible margin but i still can't help but feel bummed the devs didn't stick to their guns after all the work they did to mesh that limit with the setting

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Even RE1 and RE2 had the option of having more inventory slots and those are considered the master class in survival horror. The lesson here is those game did it right.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Looper posted:

i know the inventory limit was by far the most common complaint about this game by an incredible margin but i still can't help but feel bummed the devs didn't stick to their guns after all the work they did to mesh that limit with the setting

they held out for a year and changed it after getting plenty of recognition and acclaim with the original design, so I think it’s a decent compromise

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I managed to get through the game just fine when it came originally out but I always super limited my inventory just so that I could collect as much as possible before being forced to return and dump/reorganize. Id often just bring two loaded guns and... nothing else. Not even a reload.

I felt that the amount stuff you found(and more importantly how it was spaced across rooms) didnt line up nicely with the inventory space. Round trips are fast/fluent but it just felt weird. It made me notice that games like re1make must have spent a decent amount of design effort on this expect alone.

Wasn't gonna do a replay before but all the changes combined feel like a good excuse.

E: since the game is excellent despite the original small inventory size, I don't think this change will negatively impact new players' experience. If anything it might casually invite a few more people to give it all a try.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 27, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The inventory limit in Signalis was extremely well balanced, IMO.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

6 isnt bad limit but even RE games had item pouches as upgrades because how these games tend to escalate. You'll start getting more guns, more ammo types, more items, more key items and even more enemies and giving even just 2 extra slots goes a long way to cut the backtracking.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah the restrictive inventory limit was neat but I found that it encouraged some weird behaviour late in the game, either speedrunning around with a couple of loaded guns and nothing else or just backtracking to deposit stuff annoyingly often (or straight up ignoring items). I was constantly thinking that getting one or two additional slots during play would have made it feel just right.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Yeah in retrospect an inventory upgrade in the mid game would have been nice, it’s a delicate balance between encouraging careful resource management and discouraging backtracking. Maybe make it so if you tried to pick something up but your inventory was full you had an option to send it directly to your box? It’s not at all realistic but it saves the player a lot of trouble while still limiting what they can take on any given “outing”.

All and all though what I loved most about the game had little to do with the inventory. It’s the story, vibes and aesthetics that made it brilliant.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The six item limit generally wasn’t a problem but the flashlight occupying its own slot was, so I’m glad they removed it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The backtracking to dump your items when you get a full inventory was clearly intentional as it forced you to interact with the resurrecting enemies and the radio mechanics more often.
That's why flares existed as well.

It's a really well crafted game but it seems like it's opinion is hurt somewhat by the fact that it doesn't play like Resident Evil. Everyone who's well into RE seems to get the "bad" ending on their first run too, based on what I'm hearing.

I definitely glad that not being into schlock horror seemingly improved my experience with Signalis.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

The backtracking to dump your items when you get a full inventory was clearly intentional as it forced you to interact with the resurrecting enemies and the radio mechanics more often.
That's why flares existed as well.

It's a really well crafted game but it seems like it's opinion is hurt somewhat by the fact that it doesn't play like Resident Evil. Everyone who's well into RE seems to get the "bad" ending on their first run too, based on what I'm hearing.

I definitely glad that not being into schlock horror seemingly improved my experience with Signalis.

I used strategy Ive been using since RE1 which is killing everything that takes too much effort to avoid or is clearly in a corridor you'll be returning to often. (And got the so called bad ending I guess).

So you arent wrong but I think the ending was still good.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I love Signalis. It's one of the few games I kept thinking about long after finishing, and I've played hundreds in my sad basement dweller life. Great soundtrack too.

Dang, maybe it's time to replay.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All the main endings are "bad" so I'm not particularly sure which one you're even referring to.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The inventory would have been a lot more manageable had there been a better way to keep track of where you had left stuff in the world. It shouldn't be possible to entirely lose track of a critical puzzle piece because it's on the floor in one of a half-dozen rooms in the area

(It's possible I'm misremembering this, but I recall the map only marks rooms you have never entered and items you have never interacted with at all, once you enter a room or touch something it's no longer marked)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

haveblue posted:

The inventory would have been a lot more manageable had there been a better way to keep track of where you had left stuff in the world. It shouldn't be possible to entirely lose track of a critical puzzle piece because it's on the floor in one of a half-dozen rooms in the area

(It's possible I'm misremembering this, but I recall the map only marks rooms you have never entered and items you have never interacted with at all, once you enter a room or touch something it's no longer marked)

the map marks puzzles involving key items. but i just took notes if i had to leave some valuable ammo or something behind