Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush posted:

Impossible Paths

Not very original but was fun making things line up and figuring out a few tricks to get the shadows etc working right

A slightly better perspective...

extremely sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Extraterrestrial Relic complete!

Pyramid Nodes:

Eye Nodes:

For this one, I got the 3.4 beta and used the "Distribute Points in Volume". My computer did not enjoy the experience. I wanted to put some little obelisks and such around, but my machine was already chugging pretty bad.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 25, 2022

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

For my "microcosmic forest" render I came up with a hack to spawn points inside a volume in Blender 3.3.

Take a cube, transform it so it is really wide and short, then add instances on points from a mesh line to stack them vertically. Then apply a mesh boolean modifier to get a bunch of horizontal planes inside the mesh, and then spawn points randomly on those surfaces.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
rad relic, bluemillion! The way those cubes sort of diffuse out is really cool.

fart simpson posted:

the texturing and colors on this are on point btw. are the decals on the boxes a bump map or actual geometry?
Thanks! It's kinda wasted because you can't really tell, but it's actual geometry.

In hindsight the columns the stairs sit on look a bit weird and like they're part of the 'trick' when there's nothing sly going on with them at all. The problem is I have to use ortho projection to get the 'gapped' stairs to line up, which make things look off or unpleasant if there's too many obvious vertical lines, like you'd get if they were sat on a plain wall.

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 25, 2022

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Ominous Skies

It's not looking great but I'm trying to keep to the schedule and ive run out of time (and enthusiasm tbh)

I wanted to have the saucer as more of a shadow behind the clouds, perhaps peeping through, but couldn't get it to work

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bluemillion posted:

Pyramid Nodes:

Eye Nodes:

For this one, I got the 3.4 beta and used the "Distribute Points in Volume". My computer did not enjoy the experience. I wanted to put some little obelisks and such around, but my machine was already chugging pretty bad.

This is where one of those other doors in the Control motel leads

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bluemillion posted:

Pyramid Nodes:

Eye Nodes:

i really like this one. the effect of the cubes fading in is really cool

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Komojo posted:

For my "microcosmic forest" render I came up with a hack to spawn points inside a volume in Blender 3.3.

Take a cube, transform it so it is really wide and short, then add instances on points from a mesh line to stack them vertically. Then apply a mesh boolean modifier to get a bunch of horizontal planes inside the mesh, and then spawn points randomly on those surfaces.

thats cool but too bad you wont need in in 3.4 because they just added a node to do it directly

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

Ominous Skies

It's not looking great but I'm trying to keep to the schedule and ive run out of time (and enthusiasm tbh)

I wanted to have the saucer as more of a shadow behind the clouds, perhaps peeping through, but couldn't get it to work

the trick to that sort of peeping through thing is volumetrics with very low density but very large distances involved

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ive been too busy to keep up but i got some time today to finish what i was working on. forgotten robots!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

blend file here in case anyone wants to look

https://mega.nz/file/EABRFbDB#B1saCVm2syRjbGFpaB47R2Ua53s_KvN9pRLPEVFMZZU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

whoa

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

ive been too busy to keep up but i got some time today to finish what i was working on. forgotten robots!

Holy fuckin' poo poo.
Hopefully by next year I'll have a better skills and a new computer and I'll be able to do something as cool as this.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

that's incredible work man

your poor gpu

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

that's incredible work man

your poor gpu

funny thing about that. this one frame took me 52 minutes to render, and about 51 minutes into it i realized i forgot to re-enable depth of field on the camera settings lol. so i said screw it and spent 10 minutes playing around with gradient textures and the bokeh blur node in the compositor to fake it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

and i think this one will be my "impossible pathway". i wanted to get more stuff going on in the scene but i think this looks cool enough as is

blend file here: https://mega.nz/file/NA5VFTCa#h8uwFdy67Jmmz2cXj0oUuLT6vncQ3U_hPnmUlh4LB-U

a few months ago in the blender thread i mentioned that i found a paper about optical simulations of black holes using nested refractive glass spheres. well, i revisited that and redid it and basically cleaned it up a bit to make this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the impossible pathway part is coming back out of it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

Holy fuckin' poo poo.
Hopefully by next year I'll have a better skills and a new computer and I'll be able to do something as cool as this.

step 1: turn on gpu rendering instead of cpu rendering

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

no seriously, i think that kind of thing is doable for anyone itt. it just took me a lot of practice and looking at other peoples work to learn how they did stuff. that’s why i post most of my blend files here, because i think seeing how someone else accomplished something can both teach you and give you inspiration. that’s why i like to ask people how they did things itt too, im learning from that stuff

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think working from reference and trying to understand some basic photography can go a long way towards making stuff in certain styles too. and some basic project planning.

if you block out a scene and try to get the lighting most of the way there just with basic shapes, then it can inform you in what details you need to focus on and which things won’t really have a significant impact on the final result. like this forgotten robots scene i blocked out with just some cubes and planes and set up the sky texture and basic lighting before i did any detail work at all. the walls and roof are incredibly simple, both in terms of geometry and also the shaders, because i know any detail work i put in there won’t show up. basically just a plane with alpha mask cutouts for the windows

as in, i literally started with this, and just added detail to the little stone dividing walls and then the robots. and then did some compositing and color correction

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 28, 2022

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

toiletbrush posted:

Ominous Skies

This looks really nice! How did you do the clouds and the lighting behind them?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Thanks! It's just a thin cube with voronoi texture deforming just the bottom, and a sheet light right above it for that orange shine through

fart simpson posted:

the trick to that sort of peeping through thing is volumetrics with very low density but very large distances involved
for sure, I just couldn't get it to look right without horrible sparklers, even after tons of samples

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

in addition to samples you sometimes need to increase your light bounces and or turn off indirect light clamping

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

step 1: turn on gpu rendering instead of cpu rendering

I'm willing to bear the shame of this as a living PSA. You have to choose your video card in the settings.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Asteroid Village

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

toiletbrush posted:

Asteroid Village

Extremely nice greebles.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

toiletbrush posted:

Asteroid Village

:popeye:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

Asteroid Village

this is excellent. you do something like the layered noise i mentioned on the terrain?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ominous skies. im not sure if the colors are what i really want but i cant seem to change them to be any better

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

or does this one look better after some color correction? im not sure

e: i think this ones better

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 30, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

blend file: https://mega.nz/file/ZdRHWDBR#g3MJDvWdA-HjnVkylw6tZDDhIOHfQLL0kgcxP5tOK-Y

this one took a trillion hours to render because its in cycles and all those clouds are done in a single 100,000 x 100,000 x 3,000 meter cube. its just all two layers of noise texture at different detail levels going into a principled volume shader's density. 128 volume light paths, turned off indirect light clamping, and 4096 samples so it takes forever.

the ground is just a giant plane with some musgrave noise into a bump map and roughness

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
extremely excellent

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

Asteroid Village

btw i forgot to say it but congrats on finishing nodevember! great work op

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

fart simpson posted:

ominous skies. im not sure if the colors are what i really want but i cant seem to change them to be any better

I had also considered a MIRV. Dang that looks awesome.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FalseNegative posted:

I had also considered a MIRV. Dang that looks awesome.

yeah it was the only thing i could think of doing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

btw!!!! novemeber is over, but nodevember continues as long as people keep doing it!

there are 2 prompts left for me and my motivation is very low but i also want to finish them for pure completionism., so im still going

wip for digital ruins. not totally sure where im going with it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

great job everyone! bummed I couldn’t participate but all the cool images you created made up for it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

btw!!!! novemeber is over, but nodevember continues as long as people keep doing it!

there are 2 prompts left for me and my motivation is very low but i also want to finish them for pure completionism., so im still going

wip for digital ruins. not totally sure where im going with it

its december 1st, mods close thread asap

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
This nodevember has been a treat! I'm glad my skills improved enough over last year that I could participate with the incredibly talented artists in this thread.
I'm gonna take everything I've learned from all of you, and with the help of a new computer, really push it over the top next year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

This nodevember has been a treat! I'm glad my skills improved enough over last year that I could participate with the incredibly talented artists in this thread.
I'm gonna take everything I've learned from all of you, and with the help of a new computer, really push it over the top next year!

agreed op you managed to do some cool stuff this year. even more cool than a spiky ball