Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Here's a question, how many interview sessions do we have? Once we can start putting names on the interviews it might allow us to sort things out. For example we know it had to be Eve in the Glasgow alibi due to the pregnancy.

Deathwind fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
OK, so let me see if I have this part of the story correct:

Hannah is married to Scott
They hit a rough patch and move in together to Scott's parent's house
Hannah is pregnant at this time
Hannah loses the baby
This causes a rift between Hannah and Scott and they separate temporarily
Scott encounters Eve at a bar and they sleep together (whether Scott thinks this is a different woman or Hannah playing a character may be up for debate)
Eve, who was told she was infertile, ends up pregnant

This is assuming a few things : That there are two separate women, and half of what Eve has said is the truth

Do I have that much correct or did I get something wrong?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

CzarChasm posted:

OK, so let me see if I have this part of the story correct:

Hannah is married to Scott
Hannah loses the baby
Scott encounters Eve at a bar and they sleep together (whether Scott thinks this is a different woman or Hannah playing a character may be up for debate)
Eve, who was told she was infertile, ends up pregnant

This is assuming a few things : That there are two separate women, and half of what Eve has said is the truth

Do I have that much correct or did I get something wrong?

lmao, how/why did you replace Simon with Scott? otherwise yeah seems about right I think given what's been agreed on to be Hannah/Eve

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The first one's sleeves are covering the area where Eve's tattoo is pretty well. We can't really be sure that's Hannah.

e: This sort of thing more than anything else would probably gently caress the cops up hard. It looks fine on first blush, but then you sic a defense attorney on the evidence presented....

It would gently caress up the cops' case really bad, but there's also a side plot to that if the twins misrepresented being twins or if the twins were in fact logged as different people for the interviews and then the interview labels were lost or not descriptive enough to figure out who was in them. It's cops so it's the latter but they'll pretend it's the former.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

lmao, how/why did you replace Simon with Scott? otherwise yeah seems about right I think given what's been agreed on to be Hannah/Eve

It turns out Simon also had an identical twin/alternate personality.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Cloacamazing! posted:

:lmao: the new wave of soap operas, "let's have my alternate personality have an affair with my wife's/husband's alternate personality!"

e: alternate personality polycules, "...oooookay yes we can put together marriage licenses for you two and your other personalities" *copies the couples' previous license a few times and notifies IT to set up the special exception for searching the computer system later*

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 12, 2023

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Deathwind posted:

Here's a question, how many interview sessions do we have? Once we can start putting names on the interviews it might allow us to sort things out. For example we know it had to be Eve in the Glasgow alibi due to the pregnancy.

Six, but there's suspicion they may have switched places in the middle of at least one of them (due to obviously changed hairstyle).

Cloacamazing! posted:

Please no. If that happened I think my head would explode and I would abandon the thread.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

CzarChasm posted:

Hannah loses the baby

Not quite on the last one.

- They moved in to Simon's parents when they got married as far as I can tell.
- I haven't seen anything to indicate Hannah and Simon separated. After the miscarriage they were still living at Simon's parents. After Hannah's parents died a few months later, they moved into that house. The whole thing with Eve and Simon having an affair happened several years later from what I can tell.
- Hannah was told she was infertile, not Eve. Eve is the one who tried to get pregnant after Hannah initially did, slept with anything that moved basically, and stopped after getting an STD. Presumably Eve's later pregnancy is courtesy of Simon, but I don't think we know that for sure yet.

What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive. In a different way, there's a real Bonfire of the Vanities feel to this.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Session 23

Focus on 'very', then shakes her head and pauses.

Pauses after 'and'

A little more quietly here.

Long inhale after this motion.

Emphasizing the start of each word.

Briefly touching her hair just before the start of this line.

Ok, so something is fishy with the death of Hannah's parents. If it wasn't mushrooms, then what was it? Also, according to this tale Eve is still living there at the time - but this is shortly after Hannah got married. Worst year of her life, had the miscarriage and then her parents died the same year of 1984. Hannah and Simon are living with his parents, while Eve is in the attic with Simon's parents? How does that make sense at all??

Pause and a sigh after 'But'

Same music and reflection flickering in and out.

You could easily sell me on the idea that Eve poisoned them, even though that's not what she said here. The conclusion of deadly mushrooms doesn't make sense to me. It seems like something is missing here. I looked up the timestamps of when she talked about moving out. That starts a minute and a half after this clip. It seems what Eve is saying is that when Hannah and Simon moved back into her parents house, Eve left. Presumably at Hannah's insistence? The whole attic bit though is still nonsense IMO unless something convinces me otherwhise.

Either way, I feel like we are now investigating three deaths, because one wasn't enough or something.

A couple of earlier ones are available on the fabulous fungi. Oh let's!

Very softly, shaking her head.

Wringing her hands here, there's an 'I ... ' at the end as her voice trails off.

Sniffs after speaking.

This is from when she waas describing finding Simon's body, which as has been mentioned we still don't know a lot about despite a few searches on things like 'weapon' and 'time of death'.

I'll hit the final clip on this topic next time.

New Clips - 2
Completion - 90/271, 33.2%

Latest version of this as we're a third of the way through. The yellow box has moved; I think maybe that's indicating where the last clip we watched is located.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Strategic Sage posted:

You could easily sell me on the idea that Eve poisoned them, even though that's not what she said here. The conclusion of deadly mushrooms doesn't make sense to me. It seems like something is missing here. I looked up the timestamps of when she talked about moving out. That starts a minute and a half after this clip. It seems what Eve is saying is that when Hannah and Simon moved back into her parents house, Eve left. Presumably at Hannah's insistence? The whole attic bit though is still nonsense IMO unless something convinces me otherwhise.

No, I'm convinced that Eve poisoned her and Hannah's parents with Death Cap mushrooms. This clip pretty much spells that out. "The police never even looked in the attic," is practically a confession that she was the killer.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

No, I'm convinced that Eve poisoned her and Hannah's parents with Death Cap mushrooms. This clip pretty much spells that out. "The police never even looked in the attic," is practically a confession that she was the killer.

Eve was just sitting there, in a psycho-killer murder-den attic, twiddling her thumbs waiting for the cops to arrive.

Then after 10 days she lets out an exasperated sigh and silently starts disassembling the “My First Murder Plan” bulletin board. Taking down the mutilated photographs, and covering up the “DIE DIE DIE” messages that she carved into the walls.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

I mean... we've seen her talk so much about being "aligned" and how much she missed her sister (and Simon) being nearby. There's motive, and there's opportunity... provided, of course she's telling the truth about living in the attic.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

This clip pretty much spells that out. "The police never even looked in the attic," is practically a confession that she was the killer.

I don't see it that way at all, at least not yet. The police not looking in the attic is a confession that the police didn't know she was there, but not necessarily more than that. Otherwhise why say she just came down one day and they were dead? That's a claim of 'this thing just happened while I was asleep'.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Eh I feel this topic is one of the most likely ones that she'd straight up lie on.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Session 24

Pauses after 'something'.

Squints and shakes her head a bit before the next line.

Focus is on 'taught'.

Pause after 'no one' which appears rather telling given what we know at this point.

Actually they didn't live alone, and somebody did have a reason to hurt them it appears.

Just to get it out of the way basically, I did a search for 'STD'. Only two clips and we've seen them both. I was actually a little relieved to see that.

Another can of worms, but Eve did bring it up. The first clip, which we haven't yet seen, is about 2-3 minutes earlier.

It's a bit hard to describe, but there's a brief dramatic gesture right at the start of this clip for some reason.

'power to find him' is spoken softly, more dramatically, with a bit of a smile and laugh at the end.

Emphasizes 'immediately', slight pause afterwards.

A couple of obvious searches here. 'dream' turns up nothing new.

Should probably do the plural version also, but there are three new clips here. First one is fairly short, so I'll go ahead and hit that here.

Looking at her right hand and motioning with it a bit.

Wouldn't think too much of this in isolation, but pauses and glances up and down a couple times between the lines here. Of course, 'keeping everyone on the same page' has an entirely different meaning with two of them involved.

Next time we'll see what else Eve has to say on the diary subject. I'm sure it'll be completely normal, appropriate, and uneventful.

New Clips - 3
Completion - 93/271, 34.3%

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I think someone should make a list of attributes of who is what.

Hannah is Simon's wife.
Hannah is in the interviews wearing blue blazer, and the white shirt with flowers? on them.

Eve is the evil twin.
Eve used to hide in the attic.
Eve has a tattoo.
Eve had a bruise. (Did I get that one wrong? Not sure.)
Eve is in the interviews wearing a white shirt.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

there's no way it's as simple as "Eve is the evil twin". We're gonna find out one of them killed Hannah's parents, sure, but the other killed Simon as revenge, and then maybe we're gonna find out after Hannah/Eve gets a medical checkup that she's had Lyme disease this whole time and after getting cured doesn't remember anything from the last few years clearly. The other twin just poofs out of existence somehow and that's when the cops gave up completely.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

For some of the interviews it isn't clear who is who. On the bruise though, it appears - who even knows anything for sure - that Hannah is the one who had that.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Can we get a search for the word "bruise"?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Eventually. I could be wrong but I don't expect much to come of that beyond what we already know, and there are some more searches to go from what we've seen recently so I'm going to see how far that trail goes first.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Session 25

There's an 'umm' or 'mmm' here which is not subtitled, a nod accompanying it.

Far be it from me to accuse an eight-year-old child of murder but ... a whole lot of 'accidents' happen around you.

Quietly.

One small step for a girl, one giant leap for psychokind? What did Hannah say at this point? 'Oh yeah, come right in and hide in the attic, I've always wanted a doppelganger'?

Two minutes-plus later.

Pauses a bit after 'could'.

I wonder if there are/were any prescribed punishments for breaking the rules? Such as trying to drown the other person at the beach?

Emphasis on 'second life'.

Shaking her head slowly, focus of the phrase is on 'only ever happen'.

There's one more new clip under the plural of 'diaries' that fits in between these two.

Hushed.

Quieter here, almost admiringly although I don't think that's quite the right word as she describes various parts of the dollhouse.

Motions here with her hands as she says 'duvets and pillows'.

Practice for inventing your own fake lives? In all seriousness, this seems more real and grounded than most of what Eve says ... almost normal.

'horrendous noise' is a little drawn out as Eve slowly shakes her head.

Narrows her eyes a bit after 'tough'

There's a joke here I'm sure about at least getting some use out of the book.

The dollhouse itself doesn't seem crucial to the overall narrative, but it couldn't hurt to add it to the search list.

New Clips - 3
Completion - 96/271, 35.4%

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Session 26

'Dream' and 'dreams' just to be certain turn up nothing new.

This is another one in the category 'I want to know, but at the same time don't really'. What else are we going to learn about these rules that Eve & Hannah drew up?

Exhales a bit after this before speaking.

There's an 'ummm' after 'OK'.

Another 'umm' at the start here. 'Because' is drawn out some, and followed by a pause.

Shaking her head. Pauses after 'guess'.

'Or' is spoken slowly and drawn out, longer pause before she continues. Emphasis on 'think'.

Shaking her head slightly, focus is on 'scared'.

Softly from here to the end of the clip. After she stops speaking here, she continues looking at the picture for several seconds before continuing.

Pushes the picture away from her on the table at the end.

Definitely need more context here for what she's looking at, and why. On to the last interview for the other clip.

'about' is a little slower than the rest of the cadence.

Emphasis on 'tried', brief pause after 'but'.

Emphasis on 'not'.

Almost wistful.

'weird' is set apart from the rest of the line.

We get the piano music again.

We didn't get anything on the rules themselves here, but it definitely clears up the timeline of when Eve moved out and why, at least her version of it. This is fairly late in the final interview, about a minute after the bit from a couple sessions ago where she describes coming down to find their parents dead and notes the police never looked in the attic. Five seconds after this is where she starts describing moving out. One of those cases where the timestamps are important in putting everything together.

By request. A little more here than I expected, and another keyword that's limited to what we can actually watch.

This and the previous line are spoken quite quickly.

Self-deprecatingly rolls her eyes a bit towards the end of this, but it's quick and hard to capture.

... and piano music once more because reasons. A slight spoiler; next session will have a different account of how the bruise occurred.

New Clips - 3
Completion - 99/271, 36.5%

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Session 27

Second half of this gets a bit quieter.

Spoken quickly with all the emotion of reading a phone book or dictionary.

Continues uninterrupted into the next picture.

Pauses and shrugs after 'night'.

There's a sense in the the last couple of lines of 'ahh, the good old days, when the world was right'. Then there's a longer pause, shaking her head a bit, a barely audible 'mmm' before continuing.

Pauses for a while, shakes her head, another 'mmmm'.

More background, but nothing about the bruise we were looking for. The last clip gets into that.

Fidgeting with her hands in front of her, shaking her head.

Pauses and looks down after 'was',

Continues wringing her hands/fingers. Emphasis on 'so.

Wow. That's a loaded statement from a psychological POV.

Nods rapidly here.

Focus on 'tore it off'.

sighs, then speaks more quietly.

Drops her hands to the table with an air of resignation before the last couple of words.

I'm thinking this is a more likely story for the bruise than a cupboard door. However much of the tale is true, it also seems to be telling us somewhat more about what happened near the time/day of the murder. I might want to try numbers like 'nine' just to find some more on the chain of events if possible.

New Clips - 2
Completion - 101/271, 37.3%

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

painedforever posted:

I think someone should make a list of attributes of who is what.

Hannah is Simon's wife.
Hannah is in the interviews wearing blue blazer, and the white shirt with flowers? on them.

Eve is the evil twin.
Eve used to hide in the attic.
Eve has a tattoo.
Eve had a bruise. (Did I get that one wrong? Not sure.)
Eve is in the interviews wearing a white shirt.

So, Hannah had the bruise. Yeah, I got that the wrong way.

So, that means that Hannah is the one in the blue shirt.

And Eve's the one with the guitar? Because she has been performing.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Speaking of, does "Music", "sing", "song", etc get anything?

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
To me this is confirmation that they're different personalities in the same body. It sounds like they're mentally justifying why they always have the same injury/illness.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

ZCKaiser posted:

To me this is confirmation that they're different personalities in the same body. It sounds like they're mentally justifying why they always have the same injury/illness.

But that makes no sense here, how can one get pregnant and the other not if it's two personalities in one body? We have more than enough evidence that disproves that.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Deathwind posted:

But that makes no sense here, how can one get pregnant and the other not if it's two personalities in one body? We have more than enough evidence that disproves that.

Only if you take their testimony at face value, and assume that "one is pregnant, one isn't" is the truth. Here's what I think: they're used to sharing everything, and that normally covers for any discrepancies in what happens to them. But because Hannah was supposed to be exclusive with Simon, it threw something off in the way they perceive things, causing a breakdown (probably exacerbated by the fact that it seems like Eve slept with Simon, who likely wasn't aware of there being "two" of them).

Because at this point you have to believe one of two things: Hannah and Eve are alternate personalities in the same body, their testimonies are unreliable to an extent because they've deluded themselves into thinking of themselves as sisters...

...or Hannah has a secret twin sister that no one else has ever talked about or mentioned, who has at some points in her life lived with her and her family without anyone else noticing, and who regularly switches places with her without anyone who knows Hannah well being able to tell the difference.

I find the former a lot more plausible.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

My humble opinion is the most compelling factor so far is the physical evidence. The tattoo could have been temporary, but the bruise disappearing in two days and probably-Eve feeling for it on the wrong side of her face is something I can't explain. I don't think either theory really fully works, it's just a question of which one we are meant to believe or whatever.

Junpei posted:

Speaking of, does "Music", "sing", "song", etc get anything?

Don't know yet. Not to be a broken record - it's kind of a thorny situation with the searches because I still have 50+ I haven't gotten to yet, and it'd be more if I wasn't slacking on adding to the list. So on the one hand I'd like take ideas like this and run with them for the purpose of the LP - on the other, there's only so many searches I can do at once and the others have to wait.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

ZCKaiser posted:

Only if you take their testimony at face value, and assume that "one is pregnant, one isn't" is the truth. Here's what I think: they're used to sharing everything, and that normally covers for any discrepancies in what happens to them. But because Hannah was supposed to be exclusive with Simon, it threw something off in the way they perceive things, causing a breakdown (probably exacerbated by the fact that it seems like Eve slept with Simon, who likely wasn't aware of there being "two" of them).

Hannah got pregnant (causing a shotgun wedding), miscarried, and became infertile.

Eve got pregnant fairly close to the date of the murder, drove out to Glasgow day of it, got into a fender bender and went to the hospital confirming said pregnancy.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Maybe "Eve" killed Hannah and Simon, and is now trying to get away with it?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

painedforever posted:

Maybe "Eve" killed Hannah and Simon, and is now trying to get away with it?

If one of the twins has been dead the whole time, that doesn't explain the disappearing bruise and tattoo.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

There also seems to be behavioral differences, Hannah seems a bit more reserved...

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Marked behavorial differences are kind of what DID/multiple personalities are all about. Hannah can't deal with her twisted desire to kill her parents/have sex/play the guitar so 'Eve' is invented to do all those things.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Session 28

It turns out there are some discussions involving the wig before the final interview. All three of these are very short, 4-10 seconds in length.

Taps on her arm with one of her fingers while pausing between lines here.

Next clip, but only seconds after this first one.

That's the second time she's asked this in the space of 30 seconds or less. It feels clearly deceptive to me. Also, there's a very abrupt change in cadence between the last image and this one. This is faster, more upbeat, less ... I don't think despondent is the right word but I can't think of a better one. It's like she's turned a switch and is trying to be more 'charming' or whatever here.

On to the next day:

Looks side-to-side, throws her head back and sighs in apparent exasperation.

Shrugs at the beginning. 'know', 'anything' are the emphasized words here.

Second time this clip that she's done this brief motion with her hands, pulling them apart for a moment and then plopping them back down on the table in front of her.

Focus on 'looked'.

It appears the investigators got curious about the story earlier in the process than I thought.

It looks like we might get the rest of the song here! But first things first. Another short one from the 30th.

I think this is meant as an earnest question, at least from her perspective, but it feels forced to me.

Motioning upwards at the start ...

Then pointing forward at about the word 'have'.

Fingers go over her mouth here at the end of the line and stay there afterwards.

This looks like potentially the first piece of physical evidence on the actual murder we've heard in a long time. I think 'hair' is my next search. And what's with Rapunzel coming back up again? Maybe I need to do that one. Yes I know, or one of the umpteen others that are just waiting.

But first ... it's Murder Ballad Time! This last clip is quite a long one, so we'll end this session with it.

Smiling and looking back and forth between the two interviewers.

Good-natured here, then nods and smiles afterwards.

'greatest' is so quiet that I can barely make it out at normal volume.

Looking over the instrument briefly

I still think it's weird that this is even here. I need to search 'guitar' also. And ... and ... and ...

After a quick strum. I can only make out the 'nope'.

This line and the next one are also spoken quite quietly, but audible.

Slowly picks and then plays a chord for the intro.

Slowly, and her voice trails off at the end of the phrase here - and the next one as well.

Picks up the regularity of strumming and the tempo here.

Ran into something really weird I've never seen here before. Tried uploading multiple times, and every time I go to capture the link I get a message saying 'image doesn't exist or is no longer available', even though I can visually see it every time I refresh the album page. The text of the next line of the song is 'Oh the eldest envied her sister fair Oh the wind and the rain'.

Why imgur is being dumb about that picture I have no idea. Anyway, onwards:

Is this art imitating life, or the other way around?

Singing a bit softer here, then gets back to normal volume.

A couple of louder, dramatic strums here ...

Gets really weird? It wasn't already??

The part of this we've already seen - back on page 1 on the thread - picks up just a few seconds after this. I think we've seen all of this song now.

New Clips - 5
Completion - 106/271, 39.1%

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Hm. Hannah trying to deny Eve's existence? Does she not know Eve's being questioned? (I was all in on DID theory, but I think I'm back on "weird attic twin"...maybe.)

Part of the disconnect, at least for me, is that I wouldn't blink an eye at either explanation if it was portrayed in a more video-gamey way. This kind of twist (both DID and implausible twin shenanigans) is relatively common in video game murder mysteries. Having an actual human actor brings it into reality in a way that's making the implausibility much clearer. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, and it may even have been intentional, but it's something I'm thinking about as the LP progresses.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I'll agree that having a real actor adds something to it.

I like that FMV has come back to gaming, at least in a limited way. As good as CGI has gotten, it can't really compare to a flesh-and-blood person.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The song, known as "The Twa Sisters" (one of several dozen names for it) also has a version where the instrument made from the bones of the dead girl start bleeding when it's played. The idea is that a murdered corpse will mystically identify its murderer, or cry out to bring attention to the crime, which is why it can only play 'the wind and the rain'.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

This is the closest version of the song I've found without being these exact clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtnKT2ipRgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

mycelia posted:

Hm. Hannah trying to deny Eve's existence? Does she not know Eve's being questioned? (I was all in on DID theory, but I think I'm back on "weird attic twin"...maybe.)

This was going to be my question but I had some trouble writing my thoughts

Let's assume that Hannah and Eve are two separate people. Let's also assume that at least some of Eve's story is true, and that Hannah is aware of who Eve is and they grew up together. And finally, let's assume Eve killed Simon.

If all of that is correct, why would Hannah not point the finger at Eve, or at least mention "Hey, I have a twin sister." You'd think that would come up at some point just in general conversation. If Eve is telling even half the truth, then Hannah had to know that Eve was in the house and could at least be considered a suspect.

So, either Hannah can't even fathom of the idea that her sister could possibly murder the man she (presumably) loves, or they are both in on it.