Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

CzarChasm posted:

This was going to be my question but I had some trouble writing my thoughts

Let's assume that Hannah and Eve are two separate people. Let's also assume that at least some of Eve's story is true, and that Hannah is aware of who Eve is and they grew up together. And finally, let's assume Eve killed Simon.

If all of that is correct, why would Hannah not point the finger at Eve, or at least mention "Hey, I have a twin sister." You'd think that would come up at some point just in general conversation. If Eve is telling even half the truth, then Hannah had to know that Eve was in the house and could at least be considered a suspect.

So, either Hannah can't even fathom of the idea that her sister could possibly murder the man she (presumably) loves, or they are both in on it.

They're obviously both in on it if they're switching places in the interviews. Eve's trip to Glasgow was also clearly an obvious attempt to set up an alibi.

But I think that it's more likely that the killer is Hannah. From what Eve has said in interviews, Hannah was possessive of Simon, she didn't want to share. Nevertheless, Eve became pregnant with Simon's child. But it doesn't seem like Eve pretended to be Hannah and snuck in, instead Simon apparently met Eve and started sleeping with her, knowing she wasn't Hannah. That's motive.

EDIT: Oh, of course. I know who the reflection probably is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Session 29

This is literally all the new info we have access to from a search on 'hair' - same section as the wig statements and sounds defensive as well here btw. One 3-second clip.

There are 8 hits from this search, we've already seen the other four clips out of the five that we can access, and at least some from the off-screen ones.

I was pretty disappointed here. I thought we'd get more new information, or else that it would be a more popular search. I tried 'autopsy' next, and got no hits. 'guitar' has three, one from the song and two from the earlier interview on the 30th. I guess that's as good as anything. These are also very short.

Sounds suprised by the question.

Is it really yours though?

Anyway that's all for those. Might set a record here for most searches in one session.

*consults list*

I think we've probably seen most of these, even though there's a full dozen. One new hit.

Pause after 'had'. Another case where she moves the ring on her hand around with her fingers as she speaks.

That didn't really tell us anything new.

This is my fourth search involving 'time' but all of the previous ones had other words combined with it. 29 results is why, but I'll take a couple of new ones regardless.

Another one of those short clips where you have to piece together timestamps if you want to get a handle on the context.

Nodding and answering quickly.

All of this appears to be fairly unremarkable, straightforward exposition.

There's an 'uh' at the start of this. Also a good look at the bruise as she turns her head and rubs her face a bit while speaking.

I'm going to do something that might be aggressively boring or useless, or might not. I'm going to try numbers, one through twelve, to see if we get any more timeline information on the key days. 'one' turns up 43 entries, and of course might not be referring to time at all. At least the first five are all from the first interview, including one new one:

Gets a little quieter here.

This is a good time for search ideas I think. I still want to go through the rest of the numbers but I'm not in any huge hurry to do that.

New Clips - 6
Completion - 112/271, 41.3%

Still a number of sizable gaps - there are probably at least a few important aspects of the story we haven't stumbled upon yet.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I think we saw her taking a lie detector test at one point, right? How about "polygraph"?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Is it possible, once the timeline gets filled up, to watch an interview in its entirety, i.e. without the video breaking constantly?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think we saw her taking a lie detector test at one point, right? How about "polygraph"?

That'd probably hit only the start or the end of the polygraph test though it sounds worth a shot if they have a reason for it.

painedforever posted:

Is it possible, once the timeline gets filled up, to watch an interview in its entirety, i.e. without the video breaking constantly?

Nope. Especially since either way, you're always missing what the questioner is saying.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
You could order the screenshots chronologically and then compile different questioning sessions into their own groups. It would be time consuming and would need constant editing but it could be done.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Do we have a complete list of terms already searched for?

Let's see if we can find out more about her arrest: Arrest, police, autopsy, custody, evidence, witness(es).

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Yes, but I'd rather stay away from posting that in the thread. It's already looong and getting longer. I've done autopsy, body, weapon ... I think all the interviews happen before the point of arrest given that it's not until near the end that she even requests a lawyer. Witnesses appear to be Hannah/Simon/Eve, there's really not any reason for others I can see and we've searched by name every individual that has come up. I can definitely still try those, but my sense of it is that we need to have more specific information to pull on; the general terms tend to not tell us anything since we're only searching her words and can't search the questions or whatever else the interviewers say.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Session 30

polygraph came up with no results, but just plain 'lie' gives us four. Three from Eve in that final interview. The trend of short clips continues; none of these are longer than 11 seconds.

Nodding here.

Hannah is more animated than usual here.

Admittedly there's not a ton here to go on, but Eve appears to be a little less natural here; my impression is fairly well-disguised false confidence/bravado.

Looking side-to-side and then down at the apparatus.

These two images are back to her typical demeanor

Eve is laughing here.

Pitch and emphasis rise on 'works' at the end. She sounds quite impressed; perhaps partially because she's used to being able to fool people but couldn't fool the lie detector.

If not before, at this point the investigators definitely know she is not Hannah Smith.

I try the plural, 'lies', and get nothing. Then I try 'story', since there was that one clip really early on where she says they've just been telling each other stories. I realize right after the results come up that all we're probably going to get out of it is more Rapunzel stuff or similar.

It's three new clips out of a total of seven. We could definitely do worse here. Two of them are short, so I'll finish all of them off.

Claps her right hand down on the table/picture.

Next clip is longer, starting maybe 3 seconds later.

'Ok' is very quiet. Looking down at the picture, she slides it toward her a bit with her hand.

Raises her eyebrows after speaking.

Sighs during a fairly lengthy pause, nods afterwards.

There's a pretty distinct 'well uhmm ..' before this line.

Pauses after 'guess', emphasis on 'favourite'. This is one of those times when there's a lot more going on than just the words in the caption.

A couple more pauses and ummms.

Focus on 'ill', then gets softer again after that.

Pausing in the middle of the line. This and the rest of the clip remains quietly spoken.

Barely audible by the end. Slides the picture forward a little after she looks up, as if to say she has nothing more to comment.

Smiles mischeivously at the end of this, like she's got a story that's going to to really surprise them.

I'm pretty sure this leads into the bit about the midwife across the street, her and Hannah being separated at birth, and all that jazz.

New Clips - 7
Completion - 119/271, 43.9%

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm going to do my usual thing about how polygraphs don't detect lies and are at best a way of stressing the examinee, and at usual a way for the examiner to enforce their bias in the results.

Also, we don't know if the story believes in them or not.

Also I don't think England uses them, aren't they a purely American thing?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That's the clip I remember. Eve being told that the only question she failed was her name.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Session 31

I wasn't expecting much out of this suggestion. Maybe the wrong person is doing this LP. :owned:

Fairly animated, rolls her eyes at the start. The end of this runs together with the next shot.

Cadence slows down here.

Second clip, and this one has quite a suprise for us. A 7th interview! We've seen:

- June 18
- June 25
- June 27
- June 30
- July 1
- July 3

And now we have July 2. Quite strange that we haven't seen this day at all in the first almost-half of the story.

Barely audible.

Gesturing briefly before the next line.

Angry sarcasm is how I would describe this. Back to at least typical volume. Clearly she doesn't like what one of them just said.

Leaning forward, some of the most aggressive body language we've seen from her.

Fairly loud here, emphasis on 'laugh'.

Slightly halting start to this, as if she was initially going to say something else and perhaps found different words to express her indignation.

Pushes her chair back from the table, you can hear it impacting the floor in the audio. It's the end of the clip, and possible this day's interview. This might be a serious 'it's getting real now' moment for the investigation. At least from her POV.

The rest of the clips are all from the 3rd, with Definitely Probably Eve.

She walks to the chair and sits down, looking around.

Worth noting since we haven't talked about since early on; all the other interviews including July 2nd - yesterday - were in MT-ROOM 3. Only this one is in INT-ROOM B.

Doesn't sound like a joke, but more direct and pleasant. Not defensive, just more 'I know what you're doing here and it's not going to fool me'.

15 seconds later. Nodding here.

Shaking her head, then pauses, shakes it again while looking up and to the right at the interviewer.

Air of confidence in the smile here.

This is over half an hour later. There's a fairly big smile just before she speaks.

That clip on the lower timeline is stuck there forever now. PC was acting up and running slow, I accidentally double-clicked on the wrong thing or something. Anyway, one new hit here but it's back on July 2!

About a minute before the previous clip when she asked if she could leave. Sounds incredulous/insulted here.

Quieter, and gradually lowering in volume from here to the end of the clip.

New Clips - 6
Completion - 125/271, 46.1%

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Has 'alibi' been tried?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

It has not. I've got another suggested term to try, but if there's room I'll fit alibi into the next session. I'm fine with just running with reader suggested terms at this point; I will go back to my own selections if we run out.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Session 32: Confession (of sorts)?

'witness' and 'witnesses' turn up nothing. So it's on to 'alibi', which has one hit from the last interview. 49-second clip, which is the longest we've hit in a while.

Pause before the last word, glancing down, then up at 'silently'.

Softly, tenderly even here.

So it's confession time? Must investigate more ...

This is as she says 'we', shifting from 'I'. If I'm getting this correctly, Eve is saying she helped clean up but was actually in Glasgow at the time of the murder, so Hannah is the killer (according to this). Alternatively of course, she could just be all like 'well, our cover story ain't working so I'm throwing Hannah to the wolves, better her than me'.

At the end of the line. The look here with her right eye slyly squinted is just wicked, and continues into the next shot. She's confessing to, if I understand it correctly, covering up a murder - but that doesn't bother her.

What bothers her is that the interviewers might not realize just how smart they were in committing the crime, and the aftermath.

Eve, you are a piece of work. A real piece of work.

Taps her wrist with her finger just before speaking.

Evidently quite pleased with herself. You shouldn't be. Really you shouldn't.

That's all here. Feel free to take a moment to throw up.

Ahh there you are again. Haven't seen you in a while.

The timing seems important here.

- This clip starts at 12:03:57.
- Lie detector test is at 11:27, so over a half-hour earlier. That's less than two minutes after she walks into the room.
- In between is all the 'I'm Eve not Hannah' reveal stuff.
- The last clip in the first session where she wants to talk to a lawyer and says 'you have no murder weapon. you have nothing' is at 12:05 and change. A little over a minute later. So they're supposed to believe this confession is 'just a story' or she thought they'd just arrest Hannah and leave her out of it?

I don't think Eve grasped just exactly how this being interrogated in a police station thing works. You ask for the lawyer before you confess to a crime. I mean, even looking at in the most Eve-favorable light, Hannah alone being the murderer - you helped her cover it up. Felony or similar in any jurisdiction I know of.

I think I'll just let this be its own session. Feels like it deserves to be set apart. There's roughly about three minutes of material before this which now seems really important.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

This is going to sound stupid, but can you search "coffee", "tea" and "water"? Given the cups we see we know they are offering it at the start of the interviews and it'd serve as a good marker for the start times.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Strategic Sage posted:

I mean, even looking at in the most Eve-favorable light, Hannah alone being the murderer - you helped her cover it up. Felony or similar in any jurisdiction I know of.

I don't think it's prosecutable though, because right now the police (and we, potentially) have no clue who did what. So long as there's reasonable doubt in that department, the prosecution effort will fail and the state will have another PR nightmare on their hands.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Murder might be difficult to prove, even if Eve isn't going to flip on Hannah, but there's a slam dunk case for obstruction against both of them, and if lying to the police in an official inquiry carries charges, that's another slam dunk.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Murder might be difficult to prove, even if Eve isn't going to flip on Hannah, but there's a slam dunk case for obstruction against both of them, and if lying to the police in an official inquiry carries charges, that's another slam dunk.

Still a PR nightmare though, since you could sell the narrative that the police are only doing that because they are too incompetent to prove which one (if any of them) committed the murder.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

dotchan posted:

Still a PR nightmare though, since you could sell the narrative that the police are only doing that because they are too incompetent to prove which one (if any of them) committed the murder.

I don't agree. This is the reason why conspiracy and obstruction charges exist at all. This isn't police incompetence or getting the wrong suspect, it's a conspiracy from two people to confuse and obstruct the investigation for the purposes of covering up a crime.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

To be fair, if their education was anything like the story Eve told would make it they might actually believe that this stunt would get them off the hook.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
what about "court" or "lawyer"?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Deathwind posted:

This is going to sound stupid, but can you search "coffee", "tea" and "water"?

Objection: I don't think it sounds stupid at all. I was going to go the 'mundane objects' route fairly soon anyway.

Junpei posted:

what about "court" or "lawyer"?

Added to the 'soon' pile.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Her Story is neat, a friend got it for me in 2015 and we played through it in a single sitting, there's nothing else quite like it. It was a pleasant surprise to learn it was one of the inspirations behind the upcoming Shadows of Doubt.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I don't agree. This is the reason why conspiracy and obstruction charges exist at all. This isn't police incompetence or getting the wrong suspect, it's a conspiracy from two people to confuse and obstruct the investigation for the purposes of covering up a crime.

I guess it depends on how invested the media is in selling my version of the story. :shrug:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Session 33

Apparently triggered by the clip we saw last time, we are greeted with this ChitChat bubble.

It's a messaging app of some kind.

SB is the person who wrote this, which we saw at the very beginning.

Typing messages into ChitChat is annoying at first. It does that thing where you have the initial impression of being able to type whatever you want, but you actually can't do that; there's only one response it will accept. So you end up just repeatedly hitting mostly random keys until you hit what it wants, then stops accepting any more characters.

'nah' is all we can say. Awfully verbose and eloquent.

If you thought this would be a clue to who we are, nope. Just 'Archive_PC' as the handle.

If there was any doubt the periodic 'ghostly images' we've seen on the monitor were reflections, there isn't any more. They are definitely our reflection, as it remains there, moving a bit naturally, as we use the ChitChat interface. Very faint though, I didn't even notice it at first.

We can call SB back in the upper-left and reconnect ...

But it's just another version of the same highly-stimulating conversation. 'Nah' is the only word in our vocabulary. Presumably we'll earn the right to say 'yah' or something later on.

Back to the grind then.

This is the very beginning of the first interview.

Charming the interviewer from the very start.

Shaking her head before answering. There's an unrecorded 'ummm'.

The way she rubs and looks at her arm right where the tattoo is here is curious - perhaps coincidental, or perhaps the tattoo might really be recent/temporary?

I think photos from say, 5-10 years ago of both Hannah and Eve would be interesting. I'm also pretty sure we're not going to get them.

Leans back in her chair and a little to the side.

Softly. Then we move on July 2.

That's all here. This appears to be the start of this interview.

Four new clips to explore.

Breathes in audibly, pronounced 'ummm' before she speaks. I think this is another start-of-interview point.

This one as well

Thinks for a moment first.

The last one is much longer, so we'll wait on that for next time.

New Clips - 6
Completion - 131/271, 48.3%

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I'm not big on coffee or tea for that matter. When I do have them, I need lots of milk and sugar to help me get them down. Do regular drinkers switch between sweetened or unsweetened coffee?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's one of those things that varies extremely on a person to person basis, you can't really draw a conclusion on identity from that.

(Also there's some really fun market segmentation / product design insights in tea and coffee, the "canonical" way to enjoy them is without milk or sugar and it is considered superior that way, until you set up blind testing experiments when something like two thirds of people realize they like their better with milk and sugar.)

But anyway, even if in game we can draw an inference from, we really shouldn't.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

painedforever posted:

I'm not big on coffee or tea for that matter. When I do have them, I need lots of milk and sugar to help me get them down. Do regular drinkers switch between sweetened or unsweetened coffee?

Coffee, I definitely only drink with cream and sugar, but tea I can drink plain if I'm at a Chinese restaurant (but then I also prefer less bitter teas when available).

If we are going with "one person with DiD and/or pretending to be twins" then the choice to drink a beverage with or without sugar might be a conscious/subconscious choice to differentiate between the two personalities.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

painedforever posted:

Not typically. So much so that it's fairly common in pop culture that people will know something is up when someone they know very well orders coffee different from usual. I've seen it done in one of the Dirty Harry movies, an episode of Star Trek DS9 and probably a bunch of other "Imposter" plot lines. There's almost certainly a TV Tropes page on it, but I'm not looking it up.

That being said, I used to need a lot of cream and sugar, and now, if it's decent coffee, I need less sugar and almost 0 milk.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Out of curiosity, does searching for 'nah' bring up any interview results? I don't think there'll be any useful information there, though.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

dotchan posted:

If we are going with "one person with DiD and/or pretending to be twins" then the choice to drink a beverage with or without sugar might be a conscious/subconscious choice to differentiate between the two personalities.

Well yeah, I mean that's why tropes exist, right, as a shorthand for story-beats. It's why I asked.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Thanks to everyone who has followed this: I have decided to discontinue at this point. Not that I don't find it interesting, but not interesting enough to not be tedious work when I find my interests flowing elsewhere for a while now. I rather wish I hadn't started it at this point because I really don't like abandoning projects in mid-stream, but live and learn; this isn't the right style of LP for me.

I apologize to anyone disappointed by this.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the time you spent on it thus far! It's quite a labor intensive effort to document all you did with screenshots, down to the little gestures and voice shifts - I appreciated the attention to detail but also totally understand needing to let it go as a project.

I do encourage anyone who found this interesting to go play it yourself, the game is really compelling if you get into the spirit of taking notes and trying to spot odd inconsistencies as they crop up. When I played this game I was posting occasional pictures of my notes for my friends who had played it already, and they really enjoyed seeing my thought process play out.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I think you may as well call it "finished" at this point, since you hit all the major beats and I don't think there's all that much left to discover. What there is remaining could be hard to find as well.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

You did an excellent job on this LP, no worries about having to let it go when we've seen what looks like most of what there is to see anyway.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Thanks for showing this off

For anyone else interested, there's a really cool thing that I don't think we got to see in this LP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikb2ant6BBY

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
Do you ever get any resolution on who killed who? Feel free to spoiler me.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
agreed with the rest of the posts, really enjoyed following along. thank you for all the work on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

ChocolatePancake posted:

Do you ever get any resolution on who killed who? Feel free to spoiler me.

I don't remember, but since the attempt at an alibi was Eve going to a hospital in Aberdeen, that suggests that Hannah was the killer. Testimony also suggested that since Simon had an affair with Eve on purpose, that's motive.