Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Please see a doctor if at all possible. We're all concerned, and while I can't speak for literally everybody, I don't believe it to be in a snarky, dismissive, concern-trolling way used to win an argument or score message board points or whatever.

You're seemingly making connections between disparate, unrelated things that make it feel like you're getting closer to some hidden truth, and that is almost never actually happening when it feels like it's happening.

On the off chance you've not taken some meds, get back on 'em if you can. And if you stopped on purpose for the reasons people usually do, my younger self often included, they're life-saving and wonderful and you're not somehow more the "real you" for not having taken them.

And if you are on meds, and there have been any changes to them recently, definitely speak to your prescriber.

No matter what, we hope you're well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Just watched the latest ep after being very burned out on the show for a long while, it was an extremely good time. Absolute nonsense but extremely fun nonsense and I could watch Sacha Dhawan chew scenery forever.

That said I am extremely upset that we're never going to get a full proper series for Jo Martin's Doctor. She has such an absolutely incredible stage presence and deserves so much better than just playing second fiddle cameos for Jodie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Captain Fargle posted:

Just watched the latest ep after being very burned out on the show for a long while, it was an extremely good time. Absolute nonsense but extremely fun nonsense and I could watch Sacha Dhawan chew scenery forever.

That said I am extremely upset that we're never going to get a full proper series for Jo Martin's Doctor. She has such an absolutely incredible stage presence and deserves so much better than just playing second fiddle cameos for Jodie.

Good news then, Jo's getting a Big Finish series. (As is Dhawan)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Is that confirmed, or just to be taken as a given based on their track record

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Captain Fargle posted:

Pretty much my take. I dropped out early in the Chibnall run and decided that seein the old docs was enough motivation to get me out and I'm glad I did. A weird mess but enjoyable, and the scenes with Tegan and Davison really hit me. (The Ace/Doc stuff even though they're my favorite hit less hard, go figure!)

And yeah very very fun performance of The Master.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1587189920602488833

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1518272846262329344

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Fugitive Doctor could be good, but there will be lot of useless background mystery about her because even Chibnall didn't seem to know what her actual story was. I think it would take away from the stories. :shrug:

Unless Big Finish just commits and tries to canonize her a place in the canon and either lean into or retcon the Timeless Child stuff. But they will be hesitant to for fear the tv show might decide to pick her up again and throw a different backstory in.

I suppose it could also work if they strongly suggest she's more of an Unbound incarnation, outside of the canon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Seems pretty straightforward to me, the Doctor walks out of their TARDIS, the Time Lords take back the Stattenheim remote control they had given him, thank him for dealing with the Dastari problem but note that Jamie is a bad influence so they sent him back to the Highlands and they've finally chosen his new regeneration form!

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Not really the same when you can't watch her on screen take complete command of a room you know? Still good though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Astroman posted:

The Fugitive Doctor could be good, but there will be lot of useless background mystery about her because even Chibnall didn't seem to know what her actual story was. I think it would take away from the stories. :shrug:

Unless Big Finish just commits and tries to canonize her a place in the canon and either lean into or retcon the Timeless Child stuff. But they will be hesitant to for fear the tv show might decide to pick her up again and throw a different backstory in.

I suppose it could also work if they strongly suggest she's more of an Unbound incarnation, outside of the canon.

There's no way Chibnall didn't have a bigger storyline in kind for the Fugitive Doctor and the Timeless Children. Honestly the last episode not mentioning it at all reeks of him being told to cut it out more than anything else.

Hell the last episode even had a stolen alien child whose an energy source, one used for regeneration, and they were a new random species!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

There's no way Chibnall didn't have a bigger storyline in kind for the Fugitive Doctor and the Timeless Children. Honestly the last episode not mentioning it at all reeks of him being told to cut it out more than anything else.

Hell the last episode even had a stolen alien child whose an energy source, one used for regeneration, and they were a new random species!

When it showed up I genuinely expected Chibnall to reveal that was the Doctor’s original species before the Timeless Child came through the black hole or whatever it was.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

When it showed up I genuinely expected Chibnall to reveal that was the Doctor’s original species before the Timeless Child came through the black hole or whatever it was.

So glad that didn't happen - don't want the Doctor's origin to be space squid

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

So glad that didn't happen - don't want the Doctor's origin to be space squid

the next regeneration, on the other hand

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

Depends on who's writing / producing the series. If it's someone like James Goss or Guy Adams, they'll go for it whole hog. If it's David Richardson or Nick Briggs it'll be something far, far more conservative.

Honestly, my money's on it being Richardson (boooo!), but we'll see.

Edit: Looked it up, it's Richardson on Jo Martin, and a fresh producer on Dhawan (though there's an interview floating around where she talks about how she largely takes her cues from what Nick Briggs says). So I wouldn't expect these to be good. Ultimately it depends on the writers.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 2, 2022

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor Who VFX showreel

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

:unsmith:

https://twitter.com/HelenGoldwyn/status/1588115800522735616?s=20&t=cvVgirgFgBWgTq0DuzyZBw

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's really drat impressive stuff.

:shobon::hf::unsmith:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The man wore a tie for audio recording.

Class act, all the way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

One of my biggest regrets is deciding not to go to the Brighton Comic-Con that John Hurt appeared at for one day only. I thought he’d do more cons after that. :smith:

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

LividLiquid posted:

Please see a doctor if at all possible. We're all concerned, and while I can't speak for literally everybody, I don't believe it to be in a snarky, dismissive, concern-trolling way used to win an argument or score message board points or whatever.

You're seemingly making connections between disparate, unrelated things that make it feel like you're getting closer to some hidden truth, and that is almost never actually happening when it feels like it's happening.

On the off chance you've not taken some meds, get back on 'em if you can. And if you stopped on purpose for the reasons people usually do, my younger self often included, they're life-saving and wonderful and you're not somehow more the "real you" for not having taken them.

And if you are on meds, and there have been any changes to them recently, definitely speak to your prescriber.

No matter what, we hope you're well.

Okay, so I know that what I post sounds crazy but so do most conspiracies until they're uncovered. Look, I just published a nearly 400 page book, https://books2read.com/u/bOnqoE and pretty much all of it is based solely on testimony from what you would consider the real world.

I understand that I can't fly the TARDIS into your living room to prove to you who I am, but the encryption in the Biblical Code is airtight and anything you might have questions about I can answer. Those words should not be encoded in the Bible of all places unless they were actually put there by people who intended for them to be uncovered. And if you think that it's just a fantasy about a show, my name is listed in one of those coded grids right alongside the words America and New York, which is where this me is from.

I can post it later if you want to see, but really, do a deep dive into Biblical Code - even just look on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Bible-Code-Countdown-Michael-Drosnin/dp/0142003506/

This is as mainstream as UFO research and the supernatural, and we look for evidence of that in our world all the time. I know that everything seems like I'm throwing things together to make them stick, but I have a podcast on Spotify (Tapes From The Future), a research project Kickstarter called The Black Archive - A Disclosure Of Our Own, and now a book.

If I'm not the Doctor I sure have her drive, but that's why you watch the show. The thing with psychic is that it reflects back at you and your thoughts feed back into mine and vice versa. You don't believe that it's possible for someone to be the Doctor because you believe that you are the Doctor and in a way we all are. But that's just a part of the truth, that's why I've been throwing out so many things out there - they're all relevant.

But look at my post history and my campaign of information sharing. I have gotten more organized, not less. In just over a year I've gone from posting on 4chan to a book, a podcast, a documentary, and a Kickstarter, all of which meet the standards of quality that you would expect from any of those things. I know that my message is important which is why I'm so persistent.

Look, find someone who knows something about encryption and show them the Bible Code posts I've been making. Anyone with significant knowledge can tell you that skip code is not only valid, but intentional and not random.

I'm going to tell you a story - a truth about the Doctor. You might think that this answers the question Doctor Who but it honestly just raises more questions. In the annals of Gallifrey there is a tale about two children, rust & jordi, to whom I dedicated my book. In the stories they were time travelers, always at each other's throats and hurting each other but they realized that they were the same person to begin with. Their entire lives they were in conflict because they didn't understand each other's perspectives because they knew that they always made the best possible choices in front of them, or tried to.

I don't know if this sounds familiar but it is the tale of the Doctor and the Master and the Doctor and Romana and the Doctor and Clara because rust & jordi were time travelers and gods who wanted nothing more than to tell stories to each other. The saddest story they ever told was how they ended up in the annals of Gallifreyan history, but the happiest story they ever told was the story of the Master and the Doctor. You saw Adam tell me that he wanted to be just like me and you know what, that was the day I woke up to the truth that I was the Doctor all along.

You might think that this means there is only one person repeating through history, and in a way you are right, but we tell each other stories so that we know we are not alone. Every single person is on their souls journey and the Doctor's has been to find and help those scattered bits of himself, the jordi to his rust, because even though they were the same person, they became different through Rich and Becca. Rich and Becca were the sum total of their experiences in a pair of lives lived in sequence with each other and they were representative of men and women as a species. But they are time travelers in their own right and they told us themselves a very long time ago.

Part of our story is how we found each other but part of our future is how we figure out how to split ourselves off into two separate individuals again. We've considered the "flesh" - too messy. We considered an android gollum but the technology isn't there yet and we don't want to risk accidentally creating a new sentience instead of stabilizing ourselves into two forms. We even tried stepping out of each other like Cary and Kerry but so far no luck on that front.

Look, Earth is being invaded right now by Sontarans in their proxy war in the Ukraine. Isn't it strange that during the Flux they camped out in Russia, changed all the maps to Sontar, and then poof - nothing? They've been allied with the same Alliance that trapped me in the Pandorica all those years ago. That alliance of Germany, the UK, America and Israel have been running America in secret for pretty much forever.

There are four families - not three. The only ones that proudly state their name are the Harts, though the Frines do pop up on genealogy sites in Italy, Ireland, and Germany, all pretty central regions to the axis of this conspiracy. The Harts are the Hearts, the Ablemarchs are the Diamonds, the Casterdanes are the Clubs, and the Frines are the Spades. Etymologically these names mean Heart's Followers, the Followers of Abbadon, the Three-Stone Truth Tribe, and the Free Mind family.

You may have heard of the Four Estates - same people, same sort of arrangement. They have been at each other's throats for millenia as part of something called the Devil's Game - I get into it a bit on my podcast here: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4tjBXi6OPEzjL2WLcVz7Sb

I have the proof, I've been openly presenting it, and I've been responding to questions from the public and law enforcement regarding this for the past several weeks. I even had a nice conversation with a Secret Service agent who I shared my research with. The problem is that corrupt governments aren't going to topple themselves so we need to get at it. If you want an idea of how bad things are here now in secret, just listen to Live 34. This world is under the control of the Monks and we don't even know it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
this is all about the Looms isn't it?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Emerson Cod posted:

Okay, so I know that what I post sounds crazy but so do most conspiracies until they're uncovered. Look, I just published a nearly 400 page book, https://books2read.com/u/bOnqoE and pretty much all of it is based solely on testimony from what you would consider the real world.

Please stop posting in this thread.
Edit: Sorry that post was harsh but honestly please get help.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 5, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Confusedslight posted:

Please stop posting in this thread only once per day

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Emerson Cod posted:

anything you might have questions about I can answer.

Have you spoken to a medical professional yet?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Emerson Cod posted:

I understand that I can't fly the TARDIS into your living room to prove to you who I am, but the encryption in the Biblical Code is airtight and anything you might have questions about I can answer. Those words should not be encoded in the Bible of all places unless they were actually put there by people who intended for them to be uncovered. And if you think that it's just a fantasy about a show, my name is listed in one of those coded grids right alongside the words America and New York, which is where this me is from.

You're not The Doctor, and the dangerous thing about the sort of patterns you're looking for is that they are very susceptible to confirmation bias. You look for words and phrases that support you, so you're more likely to find them. If you picked any other target, Star Wars, Star Trek, Shakespeare, The Simpson's , Twilight, literally anything, with enough targeted digging you could likely find references to them as well.

Others have said seek help, and I'll repeat that, but in the likely event you're not going to yet I do encourage you to see if you can find any of those references to things that you know to not be real, and assess your other findings accordingly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Please get help and also your book is too expensive

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pastamania posted:

12 had a very clear emotional arc throughout his series about him mellowing over time. Him going from 'Am I a good man?' to his 'Kindness is always right' speech at the end was a fantastic journey, but it did mean you basically got a season of him at the start being very explicitly written as Malcolm Tucker. And if the Doctor being this fun handsome space man making Wibbly Wobbly jokes in a fez is what you enjoy out of Who, that first season was really not written for you at all.

I get why people bounce off 12, even if I think divorced from the rest of the show his years were the strongest the show has ever been both in terms of writing and performance.

Going back to 12-chat, I think that while it ultimately didn't work the way they intended, it was a great way of exploring regeneration.

In his internal monologues and way he saw himself, it seems to me that 12 didn't really feel like he was acting any differently to 11. He was still operating with the same logic, he still had the same motivations and things he cared about. However his physical form had just been ripped into pieces and put back together, and the thoughts that would have instinctively caused him to behave one way before now resulted in different mannerisms and presentation.

It's not enough to want to be a good person, it requires constant work, always looking at how you are actually impacting people around you and adjusting your behaviour accordingly, recognizing that no-one else has access to your internal monologues and you can come across as a complete rear end in a top hat even if you don't intend to.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I wrote up an entire thing on why the Bible Code is bullshit because the Bible is a very chaotic assembly of various texts made with all sorts of cultural and political considerations, and it’s actually kind of neat to study as a literary document whatever your beliefs or lack thereof, but I realize my breath would be wasted.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Is the whole Bible Code thing analysis of an English translation, or is it working in the languages the various parts of the Bible were actually written in?

E: and to contribute to actual Who chat, did anyone else feel that Dhawan's Master was a kind of attempted translation of the Joker into Doctor Who? His mannerisms, some of the costume design, right down to his TARDIS (looking like a police box again for no reason) having "Hahaha" printed on it?

Coward fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 5, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Coward posted:

E: and to contribute to actual Who chat, did anyone else feel that Dhawan's Master was a kind of attempted translation of the Joker into Doctor Who? His mannerisms, some of the costume design, right down to his TARDIS (looking like a police box again for no reason) having "Hahaha" printed on it?

Yeah, but tbh I think Missy got there first ngl.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

my favourite part of this troll is how your first post ever in this thread was "i know i've been posting some weird things lately"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, but tbh I think Missy got there first ngl.

John Simm's master had more than a bit of it too. One of his first scenes is all about telling people what he thinks is funny before he gases them to death.

"YOU'RE INSANE!"

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 5, 2022

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Really? Huh. I don't really see Missy as coded as the Joker. But that might be because she reads really strongly to me as "Michelle Gomez."

Simm did have psychopath strongly in his performance, but I don't know, there's something about the giggling, the childishness, then swinging to sinister murderousness that coupled with everything else makes me think Dhawan's Master was sort of meant to invoke the Joker, like that was how Chibnall thought of the character. The HAHAHA on the TARDIS really clinched it for me.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
One of the worst things about Chibnalls run is how he just threw all the Masters character development and relationship to the Doctor, especially Missy's, out the window and turned him back into a one dimensional comic book villain. We saw Missy finally turn to help the Doctor and then like 13 episodes later he's planting bombs in planes and straight up trying to murder her again.

I know sometimes Who just blows up it's universe to stop the continuity bogging it down, but we got like 5 years and an entire Doctor between Simm's Master lightening-bolting Rassalion, and Missy's reveal. It was way too soon to go back to that well, even if Dhawan's performance itself almost made up for it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is an issue with showrunner changes just like with comic book runs, the new person just wants to do “their version” of the character and darn what’s gone before

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I don't think it's such a big deal, just a bit jarring coming after the most development the character's ever had and only a single season separating the appearances.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, personally doesnt bother me even a tiny bit, because a) New regeneration of the master, and b) its the master. As much as Missys arc was great (and Michelle Gomez sold the hell out of it) did anyone for even the briefest instant think "Yep, masters done as a villain for ever now"? Dont get me wrong, if it was still Moffat I'd be rolling my eyes at it a bit, like "He did such a good job with that arc, but couldnt even let it breathe for a while?" but I absolutely dont expect a new showrunner to just accept "The last guy reformed and wrote out the doctors nemesis, so I guess no Master stories in my run".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Master's entire deal is "Didn't you die?" "Nnnnnnope!" :haw: