Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

OldMemes posted:

Tom Baker and Lalla Ward record thier scenes together with a different actor, and they're edited together later. IIRC, Ward lives in Hong Kong and Baker tends to remote record now for the audios.

If they're an in character thing, I wonder if they'll have some plot device to handwave away the Doctor's aging? Pete McTighe is pretty good at being creative with the Blu-Ray trailers he writes. I'm guessing a "oh no we've been pulled out of our timelines" thing.

I think it was established in that "Time Crash" short where Ten meets Five, where some sort of time travel gobbledygook explains why one of the Doctor's past selves looks much older than he used to. My guess is they'll just use that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Tom Baker and Lalla Ward record thier scenes together with a different actor, and they're edited together later. IIRC, Ward lives in Hong Kong and Baker tends to remote record now for the audios.

Though they've been recording separately long before either of those things were the case tbh.

Ward's also dropped from their Gallifrey range entirely so she might just be done full stop, who knows.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

OldMemes posted:

If they're an in character thing, I wonder if they'll have some plot device to handwave away the Doctor's aging? Pete McTighe is pretty good at being creative with the Blu-Ray trailers he writes. I'm guessing a "oh no we've been pulled out of our timelines" thing.

I’m just going to assume that The Doctor’s using some kind of cloaking device to display an older version of themselves to make the former companions not feel uncomfortable about how much older they are now. ‘Look I’m old and fat and grey too, it’s ok’. 😌

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t care how old and grey and out of shape he gets, I will watch literally any new Doctor Who with McCoy in it.

Eccleston may have been “My Doctor” because of when I got into the show, but Sly will always be “My Doctor” of choice :allears:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t care how old and grey and out of shape he gets, I will watch literally any new Doctor Who with McCoy in it.

Eccleston may have been “My Doctor” because of when I got into the show, but Sly will always be “My Doctor” of choice :allears:

I'm the same way with McGann.

"Another Big Finish spin-off with a secondary character... oh, Eight's in it. Why is this in my shopping cart?"

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

if RTD doesn't give us an "8th Doctor Adventure" special, I'll be disappointed. Dr. Who has the money and the following now. I hope we actually get to see McGann Doctoring Around.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They should just go and film all the good EDAs. I want to see Eight and some alien tigers, or pottering around New Orleans, or at the auction of his own corpse.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

They should just go and film all the good EDAs. I want to see Eight and some alien tigers, or pottering around New Orleans, or at the auction of his own corpse.

I'd love to see it, do you think they'd let someone like Laurence Miles be involved in the show though? I've not followed what he's been up to lately but I seem to recall he was kind of a lovely dude during the Moffat tenure

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Because of the way Moffat treated him back in the Tav days, which fair, I remember he was kind of a cock then too (Moff, not Loz).

Somehow one of the BBC books that came out in 2020 had a Faction Paradox agent show up (Wintertime Paradox), so the rights must be up in the air.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

CobiWann posted:

I'm the same way with McGann.

"Another Big Finish spin-off with a secondary character... oh, Eight's in it. Why is this in my shopping cart?"

There's a recent cross media collab you may want to investigate on the BF side

I was listening to Doom's Day because it actually is quite fun (has some issues of course), and they've been hinting at the Doctor showing up (TARDIS sounds in the bg, Doom actively hunting him, etc) but guess which incarnation it is...8 and Charley Pollard.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

McGann posted:

There's a recent cross media collab you may want to investigate on the BF side

I was listening to Doom's Day because it actually is quite fun (has some issues of course), and they've been hinting at the Doctor showing up (TARDIS sounds in the bg, Doom actively hunting him, etc) but guess which incarnation it is...8 and Charley Pollard.

So it's a doctor but probably not the one you were expecting?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1719444128189010276

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Fil5000 posted:

So it's a doctor but probably not the one you were expecting?

:golfclap:

Well played

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Euugh. Branding.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think "Whoniverse" is a stupid word but also if it's got the show being made more accessible and getting more attention then call it Uncle Tom's Crazy Eyes if you want, I'm good!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

advertising for the new specials are really ramping up on social media:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Doctor whose on first?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yes! Not the pronoun, but a Doctor with the unlikely name of Who

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor Who
Nurse What
Orderly Where
Nocturnist When
Intern Why
Patient How

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Patient How

I was forced to learn between 1989-1996 and 1996-2005

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

AndyElusive posted:

advertising for the new specials are really ramping up on social media:

"Doctor Who Delivered Her Baby"

Great, it's gonna be another one of those goddamn River Song TARDIS babies :rolleyes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I still can’t believe I called that reveal in a dumb joke in a decade-old thread

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I've seen ponds in forests that whole thing never made sense :mad:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think my joke was something like “Every River begins as a Pond, Doctor”

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
What if it begins as a spring?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They never said she didn't have sisters named spring, brook, and puddle

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

They never said she didn't have sisters named spring, brook, and puddle

cough check the BF stories cough cough

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Just watched a couple of the Tales of the Tardis and yeah, good work RTD, what a fun way to present some of the classic stories. Might even have something in my eye.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Fil5000 posted:

Just watched a couple of the Tales of the Tardis and yeah, good work RTD, what a fun way to present some of the classic stories. Might even have something in my eye.

I'm hoping the answer is no, but did they do anything to the classic footage to modernize it? Either new effects, or color grading?

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I was honestly just expecting the classics to be on iPlayer, but i wasn't expecting all the full length confidentials to be on there as well.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm hoping the answer is no, but did they do anything to the classic footage to modernize it? Either new effects, or color grading?

I didn't really notice anything though I didn't give them an especially thorough watch. I've just put Greatest Show in the Galaxy on and it doesn't look regraded or even especially upscaled.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I was forced to learn between 1989-1996 and 1996-2005

In a different universe, Doctor Who fans would commonly refer to themselves as "patients".

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Fil5000 posted:

I didn't really notice anything though I didn't give them an especially thorough watch. I've just put Greatest Show in the Galaxy on and it doesn't look regraded or even especially upscaled.

Realistically I don't know what you can do with 50 year old videotape, even assuming this wasn't a budget operation, which it probably was. And personally, upscaling and digital effects in 70s TV always look like poo poo to me.

It's wonderful that we get Spearhead From Space in HD due to the happy accident of its shooting.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

So the Tales of the TARDIS thing is up and I had a quick peek to see what it is.

Essentially, each episode is a repackaging of an old serial, stripping out the old intro and credit sequences and putting in the odd bit of commentary from the characters.

The explanation is given in the last one by the Seventh Doctor fairly directly but is alluded to in other episodes - it's a "Memory TARDIS", which seems to exist to bring people together to remember stuff. Picking Jamie and Zoe seems an especially poignant choice in that case. Either way, it is literally a nostalgia vehicle, which shows some self awareness.

It's basically a professional version of the sort of fanfic you get where characters sit around and have conversations about stuff that happened in canon, though the intro and outro segments of the Seventh Doctor and Ace ones are the most interesting, partly because in the intro of that the Seventh explains the gimmick and also says that timelines are a funny thing and in some he regenerated, in some he didn't, which effectively means New Adventures and Big Finish and your fanfic are all canon, and partly because in the outro of that, unlike in the others, the Doctor and Ace aren't satisfied to just sit there and fondly remember as the credits fade out (I think it's implied that people get sent back where they were summoned from once they've given the memory TARDIS its fill, or maybe they were only memory-phantoms and they dissolve or something) they hijack the thing and go on adventures.

The story choices (in the episode order they've picked):

Fifth Doctor - Earthshock
Second Doctor - Mind Robber
Sixth Doctor - Vengeance On Varos
Third Doctor - Three Doctors
First Doctor - Time Meddler
Seventh Doctor - Curse of Fenric

The commentary sections are really saccharine. Basically new series in full emotional manipulation mode saccharine. As I said, it's a very fanficcy concept. I am sure some people will enjoy them but, beyond being reassured that all the off-camera adventures you want Doctors to have happen in some timeline and seeing 7 and Ace reunited for implied new adventures, I'd prefer to just watch the old episodes.

Oh, biggest problem. Because of the way they have edited the episodes, they strip away the episode-closing synthesiser sting, which means that unfortunately the re-edited episodes are doomed to be rubbish.

EDIT: After further clicking around, the other endings: Fifth and Tegan decide to take the whole thing as a form of therapy and just keep chatting. Zoe and Jamie sit there and vow not to forget again. Six and Peri also hijack the Memory TARDIS/their iteration of it and go on new adventures. Jo sends Clyde home and then has an implied encounter with Doctor Jones, who it's suggested has died. Vicki and Steven use the Memory TARDIS to summon the shade of the First Doctor.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 1, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Warthur posted:

the Doctor and Ace aren't satisfied to just sit there and fondly remember as the credits fade out . . . they hijack the thing and go on adventures.

That's loving awesome.

Warthur posted:

they strip away the episode-closing synthesiser sting

https://i.imgur.com/4c9rZAt.mp4

Warthur
May 2, 2004

It's even worse. Because of the way the edit works, they ruin the best bit of Vengeance On Varos - namely the episode 1 cliffhanger.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I wonder when they'll be available to the rest of the world (if ever).

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Confusedslight posted:

I wonder when they'll be available to the rest of the world (if ever).

:filez:

But seriously, is it frowned upon in general to use a VPN and lie about having a license to access iPlayer as an American or should I expect a bobby sometime this afternoon?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah I'm watching them now and am in agreement that they're sickly sweet. Which is occasionally what you want, but also we've had the chance for these characters to be having reunions in audio form for over 20 years now. It is pretty funny that the memory TARDIS is basically the church from the end of Lost.

Warthur posted:

It's even worse. Because of the way the edit works, they ruin the best bit of Vengeance On Varos - namely the episode 1 cliffhanger.

Heavy agree, my jaw dropped the first time I saw that cliffhanger. It feels very biting and more than a little self-referential in a way that's years ahead of its time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

A funny detail: Steven and Vicki are sad enough about the First Doctor to be able to conjure a memory-shade of him. Jo is sad enough about her dead husband to call up a memory-shade of him. The Fifth Doctor and Tegan are sad about Adric... but are happy to leave him in the past. Don't even consider calling up a memory-shade.