Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Heavy agree, my jaw dropped the first time I saw that cliffhanger. It feels very biting and more than a little self-referential in a way that's years ahead of its time.
I actually watched Varos for the first time yesterday (I've got to that point on my watchthrough), and I think the media satire in there is sometimes clumsy (not least because the serial sometimes traipses towards doing the very thing it's criticising, especially when the Doctor is flippant about someone falling into an acid bath), but that bit was extremely good. That and the people commenting at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Just to note, if you go and watch the episodes in the non "tales from the tardis" section of the site, the episodes are all intact, Varos's cliffhanger and all. Tales is it's own thing independent of the original episodes.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Just to note, if you go and watch the episodes in the non "tales from the tardis" section of the site, the episodes are all intact, Varos's cliffhanger and all. Tales is it's own thing independent of the original episodes.

Yep, that's understood and is how I'll be watching going forwards (iPlayer is generally nicer and more stable than Britbox).

Last thought. The Tales of the TARDIS thing just has new intros and outros, there's no cut-ins during the stories or commentary to my knowledge (i have not seen the full things so I don't know if they have dubbed anything in).

Nonetheless, they could do an Eighth Doctor one of these and make it brilliant. but they would need to change the format a tad and pair him with some decidedly noncanon companions...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Warthur posted:

Yep, that's understood and is how I'll be watching going forwards (iPlayer is generally nicer and more stable than Britbox).

Last thought. The Tales of the TARDIS thing just has new intros and outros, there's no cut-ins during the stories or commentary to my knowledge (i have not seen the full things so I don't know if they have dubbed anything in).

Nonetheless, they could do an Eighth Doctor one of these and make it brilliant. but they would need to change the format a tad and pair him with some decidedly noncanon companions...

They even have a Doctor Who scarf all ready to go, from when they tried to turn Mike into the hero Coatimundi Man! :v:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut_u42a-JCc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo9wzX_FE1U

God, the First's chuckle, his mannerisms, quirks, and warts...
bless David Bradley, but...he just can't capture Hartnell's energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgGFdxODsQU

"Well I don't know that I was under any obligation to report my movements to you, Chesterfield."
"Chesterton."
"Oh, Barbara's calling you."

:allears:

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 1, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Related to the Tales of the TARDIS, I was on wikipedia trying to figure out which companions were still alive and learned that not only has Big Finish produced 6 (!) boxsets starring the robots from The Robots of Death, but also that this isn't even the first time a range of audios has revolved around the robots from The Robots of Death: there was an entirely separate audio series produced in the 2000s by a different company. I am now officially starting to wonder if this whole audio drama thing is just a front for, I dunno, drug smuggling, because how do those make money?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Related to the Tales of the TARDIS, I was on wikipedia trying to figure out which companions were still alive and learned that not only has Big Finish produced 6 (!) boxsets starring the robots from The Robots of Death, but also that this isn't even the first time a range of audios has revolved around the robots from The Robots of Death: there was an entirely separate audio series produced in the 2000s by a different company. I am now officially starting to wonder if this whole audio drama thing is just a front for, I dunno, drug smuggling, because how do those make money?

Kaldor City! I've been meaning to look into that since it's explicitly a crossover between Blake's 7 and Doctor Who, or at least Chris Boucher's corner of Doctor Who (and Boucher was arguably the real showrunner of Blake's 7 anyway).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

:filez:

But seriously, is it frowned upon in general to use a VPN and lie about having a license to access iPlayer as an American or should I expect a bobby sometime this afternoon?

There are roving TV vans in the US detecting when someone is using a VPN set to the UK and demanding your back licensing fees.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Warthur posted:

Kaldor City! I've been meaning to look into that since it's explicitly a crossover between Blake's 7 and Doctor Who, or at least Chris Boucher's corner of Doctor Who (and Boucher was arguably the real showrunner of Blake's 7 anyway).

If you liked Avon from B7, but always wished he was just a teensy bit more cunning and ruthless, then the Kaldor City audios are right up your street. :)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Random Stranger posted:

There are roving TV vans in the US detecting when someone is using a VPN set to the UK and demanding your back licensing fees.

A crack squad of Beefeaters, parachuting into US cities, dragging non license payers into the street and holding them down so ravens can eat them.

Edit: Hang on, is The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot not actually on iPlayer still somehow?

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 1, 2023

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
The new issue of SFX is out, featuring interviews with RTD and David Tennant and others.

A couple of interesting quotes from RTD:

“Next year, season one. Yes, we’re calling it season one”

“I’m not going to unwrite my good friend Chris Chibnall’s work on ‘The Timeless Children’. I’m not going to deny what he wrote. I’m going with it. It’s absolutely fine. It’s canon. It happened. It was transmitted. You cannot unwrite things, that would be absolutely rude to a great colleague and a lovely friend.”

None of the articles give anything away about Special #2 however, other than it’s ‘weird’.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Creature posted:

“I’m not going to unwrite my good friend Chris Chibnall’s work on ‘The Timeless Children’. I’m not going to deny what he wrote. I’m going with it. It’s absolutely fine. It’s canon. It happened. It was transmitted. You cannot unwrite things, that would be absolutely rude to a great colleague and a lovely friend.”

lol that the idea of it came up as a topic at all

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Wild Blue Yonder is meant to be the actual anniversary special, but it’s very very under wraps.

Also, ‘not going to undo it’ and ‘not going to mention it’ are two different ideas.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Wild Blue Yonder is meant to be the actual anniversary special, but it’s very very under wraps.

Also, ‘not going to undo it’ and ‘not going to mention it’ are two different ideas.

As is "not going to write something which keeps it in but puts a different spin on it".

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere in the 8th Doctor tie-in media (BBC Books line?) that, owing to being as active a time traveller as he is and being involved in as many conflicts with time-travelling opponents as he has, the Doctor's background is in flux anyway? So the Lungbarrow backstory works, the half-human backstory works, the "random Gallifreyan who got bored" backstory works, the Timeless Child backstory works...

It would be hard for RTD to outright contradict other backstories whilst being precious about Chibnall's take without looking at least a little hypocritical there. Why does Chibnall deserve more respect than the people who contributed those other ideas?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well if it's canon for good I'll just root for the Cybermen and Daleks to take out the Timelords and the Doctor.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Warthur posted:

As is "not going to write something which keeps it in but puts a different spin on it".

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere in the 8th Doctor tie-in media (BBC Books line?) that, owing to being as active a time traveller as he is and being involved in as many conflicts with time-travelling opponents as he has, the Doctor's background is in flux anyway? So the Lungbarrow backstory works, the half-human backstory works, the "random Gallifreyan who got bored" backstory works, the Timeless Child backstory works...

It would be hard for RTD to outright contradict other backstories whilst being precious about Chibnall's take without looking at least a little hypocritical there. Why does Chibnall deserve more respect than the people who contributed those other ideas?

This is the full piece on how he deals with existing canon:

quote:

Given that Davies established a new Who mythology sans-Gallifrey prior to the 2005 series, how beholden does he feel to the lore that's been established since he left?

"Oh, quite beholden actually. I'm very well behaved in that sense... I feel completely free to make up my own stuff. But I think it's very interesting that the only piece of Doctor Who lore that's never been held aloft and run with is Paul McGann having a human mother.”

"None of us can deal with that. None of us cope with it and it's never been mentioned since. I find that really fascinating. That's not a hint that I'm going to engage with it at all. It's amazing, isn't it? Everything else gets kind of absorbed.”

"Let's stare that question right in the eye. I'm not going to unwrite my good friend Chris Chibnall's work on The Timeless Children'. I'm not going to deny what he wrote. I'm going with it. It's absolutely fine. It's canon, it happened. It was transmitted. You cannot unwrite things, that would be absolutely rude to a great colleague and a lovely friend."

Warthur
May 2, 2004

That sounds like "I will contradict the half-human thing from the TV movie because I had fanrage about it and wasn't involved in the show, but I won't contradict the thing my friend wrote."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Well, I feel vindicated in my decision to give the returning RTD's second stab at NuWho a miss :v:

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Let's not forget that RTD also once wrote, on the topic of canon, "Paul McGann doesn't count".

In Queer As Folk, about 25 years ago :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Warthur posted:

That sounds like "I will contradict the half-human thing from the TV movie because I had fanrage about it and wasn't involved in the show, but I won't contradict the thing my friend wrote."

No, I'm pretty sure the timeless child was half-human and that's how he's resolving it. :v:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
That reads less like RTD is interested in actually dealing with the Timeless Child and more like paying lip service to the stuff that's come before which he will proceed to totally ignore. It's pretty easy to just never mention it again without outright refuting it. (Also, I'll say it again, Susan as the Timeless Child makes perfect sense, is actually additive to the Doctor's origins, and Carole Ann Ford is pretty old, you've not got a lot of chances left to tell that story!)

Weirdly, the Doctor being half human has come up from time to time, Hell Bent at least cheekily winks at it. There's a bit in Alien Bodies I think where some Time Lord is radioing home to Gallifrey like, "Yes sir, apparently he's half-human now. No, I don't understand it either."

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
That full RTD quote read pretty clearly to me that he's just not ever going to bring it up, which, good enough for me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Gonna be awkward when 80% of RTDs specials are shot in the void of reality where nothing exists since most of the universe was destroyed.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

and that's after Logopolis destroyed 25% of the universe, which according to my calculations means Negative 5% of the universe remains and the specials will all take place in E-space

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

That full RTD quote read pretty clearly to me that he's just not ever going to bring it up, which, good enough for me.

Absolutely. And why would he? He barely ever touched the Doctor's origins and mythos in the first place. Mythological backstory is something nerds like us love to quibble over, but he's never been interested in making that the dramatic thrust of his stories.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

and that's after Logopolis destroyed 25% of the universe, which according to my calculations means Negative 5% of the universe remains and the specials will all take place in E-space

I'd love it for the Doctor to Steiner Math the week's villian.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut_u42a-JCc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo9wzX_FE1U

God, the First's chuckle, his mannerisms, quirks, and warts...
bless David Bradley, but...he just can't capture Hartnell's energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgGFdxODsQU

"Well I don't know that I was under any obligation to report my movements to you, Chesterfield."
"Chesterton."
"Oh, Barbara's calling you."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpJIJORy45c

These are fantastic. But as was mentioned, incredibly saccharine and hitting the fankwank HARD.

But I love it.

Also, glad they're putting them up on YouTube - as my VPN apparently has been ID'd by the BBC cyber division and is being actively blocked.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Awwwwwww Sly :3:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Just undo the Cyber Timelords I hate it so much

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I'm fine if he just never brings in the Timelords altogether, they've just been crap every time they're on screen after War Games.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Edit: Hang on, is The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot not actually on iPlayer still somehow?

It's not in the episode listings, but it is still up on the minisite.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I'm fine if he just never brings in the Timelords altogether, they've just been crap every time they're on screen after War Games.

Timelords are cool when its emotional poo poo for the Doctor to deal with as a character. Any time they physically show up in their goofy outfits, they either have some dumb rear end hell evil plan going on or we get a glimpse of their incredibly stupid and lovely society, and it makes me embarrassed for the Doctor.

If I were them I'd distance myself from the Timelords, like, most beings in most points of history in most of the galaxy have never heard of the Timelords. Simply not bringing it up works (99 - Cyberman/Daleks) percent of the time!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, Timelord society is explicitly boring and despotic in the classic series, and the Gallifreyans who turn up in New Who are the psychotic state loyalists who survived Rassilon's purges.

I think it's telling that when Moffat wants to introduce a sympathetic voice on Gallifrey he went with Ohlia, a member of an order exiled from Gallifrey for the crime of having different religious beliefs (and, probably, for being women).

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The Timelords are rad because they did the best Doctor Who novelty single of the 1980s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsAVx0u9Cw4

On a more serious level, I like the Deadly Assassin, but I like it mostly because it shows that somewhere between the War Games and that the Time Lords lost their grip and went into a steep decline. That's cool and fine, let that happen and then let the Doctor go do Doctor stuff. The more their society collapses the more the Doctor's decision to leave is exonerated.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I love them so much :kimchi:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVeTVt0ueXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFa-zwXgV3A

Some things never change, whether it's who's playing the Doctor or trying to line up regeneration transitions

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

McGann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpJIJORy45c

These are fantastic. But as was mentioned, incredibly saccharine and hitting the fankwank HARD.

But I love it.

Absolutely agreed on all fronts.

"It's time to grow up."
they immediately steal the TARDIS

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Like we all wouldn't do the same thing if we had the chance

Where we dropping, boys? headed?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I also kind of like the implication that with Peri it's not the Sixth Doctor, it's the Curator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

So interestingly Tales From the TARDIS seems happy to go with canonising a Tegan/Nyssa relationship, which is both a fan favourite and something RTD did for a short story he wrote set at Sarah Jane's funeral, but also got elided by Chibnall in Power of the Doctor where Tegan shows up and mentions a string of husbands but does not allude to Nyssa at all. So I guess RTD is not regarding Chibnall canon as immutable despite any interview answers.