Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jerusalem posted:

Yep, it was completely carried by his performance.

Sherlock started so strong and by the end it was so bad :smith:

At least I still have the boxset of the old Jeremy Brett series :hellyeah:
It got so terrible by the end I never bothered watching the final episode, and I doubt I missed anything worthwhile.

It's mindblowing how it went from the hottest thing on television to a nonsensical self-congratulatory mess in such a small number of episodes, even if they were spread over far too many years. But hey, Moffat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The final episode is legimately, astonishingly awful. Like, just staggeringly so.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

The final episode is legimately, astonishingly awful. Like, just staggeringly so.

The one episode so bad an entire fandom gaslit itself into believing there was going to be a REAL secret ending episode. Good times.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gods, it was just so bad.

Between ignoble endings to things I once loved and every other creator I admired turning out to be a monster, I have a *really* hard time getting invested in art now. It takes something really special.

Sherlock and Doctor Who broke my heart so bad I'm afraid to love again.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Boxturret posted:

Ooo nice I'll have to look in to that.

He and Michael Williams (as Watson) did the entire Holmes canon of stories and novels; after Williams' passing, Andrew Sachs took over and they did a further 15 stories in "The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes", based on references from the original stories.

And both Tom Baker and Peter Davison appear in one ep apiece!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The cracks show pretty early on, with episode 2 being some weird yellow peril stuff where the central mystery is how someone could have been murdered in a locked room with no possible entrances or exits except for the wide-open unlocked window. The nonsense with Irene Adler was, what, episode four?

It just wasn't as blatant early on as it was in the later seasons where you had things like the violet feminist KKK.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Small Strange Bird posted:

It's mindblowing how it went from the hottest thing on television to a nonsensical self-congratulatory mess in such a small number of episodes, even if they were spread over far too many years. But hey, Moffat.

At least he speed ran the process with the Dracula series

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A show I've never watched but remember because a friend recommended it enthusiastically a few times then really strongly telling us to disregard and do not bother. Never even learned the specifics, just kept that mental note.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

At least he speed ran the process with the Dracula series

Oh my God you reminded me of the Dracula series :gonk:

I think the second episode was.... okay? I can't really tell if I just think that because the other two were so bad, and the third one in particular was AWFUL.

Moffat brought me incredible joy with most of his run on Doctor Who but Jesus Christ did late Sherlock and all of Dracula sour me on checking out anything else he's doing. That most recent series he did about the fake pedophile priest(???) sounded so astonishingly terrible too.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I do wonder about whether Doctor Who might have been better if Moffat had just handed Sherlock over to someone else straight away, Gatiss maybe, and had just focused on the one thing.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God you reminded me of the Dracula series :gonk:

I think the second episode was.... okay? I can't really tell if I just think that because the other two were so bad, and the third one in particular was AWFUL.

Moffat brought me incredible joy with most of his run on Doctor Who but Jesus Christ did late Sherlock and all of Dracula sour me on checking out anything else he's doing. That most recent series he did about the fake pedophile priest(???) sounded so astonishingly terrible too.

The 2nd one was the ship voyage right? That one was alright and Claes Bang was great throughout. Fresh off the end of Series 5 in 2010, riding the high of Moffat's 1st season, I sought out more of his work and decided to watch Jekyll...and I feel insane looking up the show now and seeing 8/10 and 4.5/5 stars

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Or maybe Sherlock acted as a barrier and without it the Doctor would have had to go through a Saw challenge hosted by their super secret sister or use his giant brain to survive getting shot.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

jisforjosh posted:

The 2nd one was the ship voyage right? That one was alright and Claes Bang was great throughout. Fresh off the end of Series 5 in 2010, riding the high of Moffat's 1st season, I sought out more of his work and decided to watch Jekyll...and I feel insane looking up the show now and seeing 8/10 and 4.5/5 stars

I remember really enjoying Jekyll, but I don’t think I’ve actually watched it for over a decade. Don’t tell me it’s aged poorly. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The final Sherlock ep was on tv again recently (one of the UK digital channels just plays it endlessly amongst their scheduling), and I watched (some of) it for the first time since broadcast. It is utterly poo poo, with nothing worth redeeming. Somehow I forgot that Sherlock’s sister literally has superpowers. :cripes:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So what I'm hearing is, I need to rewatch Elementary.

And I never knew about the Clive Merrison radio plays. Time to use a VPN to download them from the BBC player!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

The final Sherlock ep was on tv again recently (one of the UK digital channels just plays it endlessly amongst their scheduling), and I watched (some of) it for the first time since broadcast. It is utterly poo poo, with nothing worth redeeming. Somehow I forgot that Sherlock’s sister literally has superpowers. :cripes:

She's just. So. Smart. That she can brain wash anyone just by talking to them and manages to turn an ultra high security secret prison in to her own personal Saw labyrinth. Its....something.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Also his sister isn't Enola Holmes, the character from the novels or the recent Netflix films, it's a totally original character called... Eurus Holmes.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Boxturret posted:

Or maybe Sherlock acted as a barrier and without it the Doctor would have had to go through a Saw challenge hosted by their super secret sister or use his giant brain to survive getting shot.

Replace sister with Master and brain with second heart and that's most episodes.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Boxturret posted:

or use his giant brain to survive getting shot.

If you think about it, that's the main plot of series six.

PriorMarcus posted:

Also his sister isn't Enola Holmes, the character from the novels or the recent Netflix films, it's a totally original character called... Eurus Holmes.

They should do the opposite of the "dog was actually a childhood friend" twist by revealing that his sister, Equus Holmes, was actually his childhood pet horse.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

They should do the opposite of the "dog was actually a childhood friend" twist by revealing that his sister, Equus Holmes, was actually his childhood pet horse.

I can't believe this whole time his sister was bad horse.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Bad horse?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Flashback to Watson in therapy with a horse wearing a wig.

Watson flirting with a horse on the bus.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

Bad horse?
I'm trying so hard not to burst into the song because Joss Whedon is a monster.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
He's bad!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Boxturret posted:

I can't believe this whole time his sister was bad horse.

Only way to deal with that is a bad wolf.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bad Hoof

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When do we meet the Pigs of varying construction ability?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I don't think I'll ever rewatch it. It completely destroyed any goodwill I had for the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Dabir posted:

BOOMERANG

i am SHERlocked

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The one episode so bad an entire fandom gaslit itself into believing there was going to be a REAL secret ending episode. Good times.

Apple Tree Yard, yeah.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The last good Sherlock episode was the wedding one. It was dumb and funny and should have ended right there.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/welcome-to-the-whoniverse-and-tales-of-the-tardis

quote:

Reprising their roles as the Doctor and companions to go on a timey-wimey spin down memory lane in these unmissable adventures are; Maureen O’Brien as Vicki and Peter Purves as Steven, Frazer Hines as Jamie and Wendy Padbury as Zoe, Katy Manning as Jo and Daniel Anthony as Clyde, Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor and Janet Fielding as Tegan, Colin Baker as the Sixth Doctor and Nicola Bryant as Peri, and Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor and Sophie Aldred as Ace.

Interesting.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/PeteMcTighe/status/1719067281001439529?s=20

They're coming this week as well!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
OK, turns out Clyde is a character from Sarah Jane Smith and they aren't pairing up Katy Manning with some random dude.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Rochallor posted:

OK, turns out Clyde is a character from Sarah Jane Smith and they aren't pairing up Katy Manning with some random dude.

Yeah, I think they met in that one Sarah Jane Adventures episode where Sarah Jane and Jo Grant met and teamed up for the very first time.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Parsing the press release it looks like these are feature-length "here's an overview of this Doctor's tenure to give you a taster of what they were like!" things with a nice story in the framing device to give warm fuzzies to people who already know and love the eras in question. Not a terrible idea.

I note that they have pairings for all the classic Doctors except the Fourth - maybe they're going to do that later? Or perhaps they decided they really need to do two given the wide scope of tones his period took in. Tom and Lalla are on speaking terms these days, right?

I guess the thinking behind the Third Doctor pairing is that the Brigadier, Third Doctor, Sarah Jane, and Liz Shaw are too dead to participate, Mike Yates is too cancelled due to that whole "pressuring a fan into sex" thing, and Benton... didn't return the BBC's calls? I dunno.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Warthur posted:

Tom and Lalla are on speaking terms these days, right?

No, I don't think they are.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Warthur posted:

Tom and Lalla are on speaking terms these days, right?

Nope!

quote:

I guess the thinking behind the Third Doctor pairing is that the Brigadier, Third Doctor, Sarah Jane, and Liz Shaw are too dead to participate, Mike Yates is too cancelled due to that whole "pressuring a fan into sex" thing, and Benton... didn't return the BBC's calls? I dunno.

IIRC, John Levene lives in the US these days, so it's probably more a question of whether the BBC would be willing to pay to fly him back over.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love the photo of Frazer and Wendy looking down at the 13th Doctor's TARDIS set like they're going,"The gently caress were they thinking?" :allears:

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

No, I don't think they are.

Never mind then.

I really like the Sixth Doctor's new look! They should CGI that in to his original stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Tom Baker and Lalla Ward record thier scenes together with a different actor, and they're edited together later. IIRC, Ward lives in Hong Kong and Baker tends to remote record now for the audios.

If they're an in character thing, I wonder if they'll have some plot device to handwave away the Doctor's aging? Pete McTighe is pretty good at being creative with the Blu-Ray trailers he writes. I'm guessing a "oh no we've been pulled out of our timelines" thing.